Swiftkey vs Swype

Search This thread
I like the stock Samsung keyboard. It has the swype feature.. Why download another app that does essentially the same thing?
I agree to a point.
The only thing missing in the Samsung keyboard that I use is Arrow keys and when typing only numbers I like ten key. But otherwise I do like the Samsung's keyboard for GN2.
Mainly I use the arrow keys within SwiftKey keyboard that keeps me coming back to the SwiftKey keyboard. For me that is an important feature for a keyboard. I always miss the right spot with my big fingers.

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)

chavist

Jul 23, 2007
Had anyone been able to install the latest version of swift key

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

mrbkkt1

Nov 12, 2007
Mililani
www.lostpowercity.net
Best thing about swiftkey, is on my note 10, it's an awesome keyboard. No more typing 3's and 8's when I want e's and o's. They keep the number row hidden, and I can fly typing on the tablet.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

pablo71

Apr 19, 2008
Swype is a better slider

I bought swiftkey4 last week, and was impressed with flow, and loved how I could change the long press times to get numbers and punctuation faster than on Swype (it frustrates me that I can't do that on Swype)....

....but I went back to Swype within 40 minutes, because I have grown dependent on the swype gesture shortcuts for "select-all", "copy" and "paste." These are essential and, according to Google, SwiftKey doesn't have those, which to me means I just donated $2 to some awesome programmers who might add those shortcuts to SwiftKey one day.

....both are excellent pieces of technology, but I find Swype a better slider, but when/if swiftkey gets those shortcuts I'll test it again.

pcorlatan

Dec 18, 2008
I've been using TouchPal for months and like it the most.

mrbkkt1

Nov 12, 2007
Mililani
www.lostpowercity.net
I bought swiftkey4 last week, and was impressed with flow, and loved how I could change the long press times to get numbers and punctuation faster than on Swype (it frustrates me that I can't do that on Swype)....

....but I went back to Swype within 40 minutes, because I have grown dependent on the swype gesture shortcuts for "select-all", "copy" and "paste." These are essential and, according to Google, SwiftKey doesn't have those, which to me means I just donated $2 to some awesome programmers who might add those shortcuts to SwiftKey one day.

....both are excellent pieces of technology, but I find Swype a better slider, but when/if swiftkey gets those shortcuts I'll test it again.

Exact reason why I use Swype on the note 2 and swiftkey on the note 10. Typing and weird recognition is better in swift key, and stopping and gestures rule Swype.

timmytucker718

May 7, 2013
Swype vs. SwiftKey

SwiftKey:
-Predicts future words based on context and user language style it learns.
- can string multiple words without you entering spaces, or lets you swipe the space.
-Auto adds words to dictionary when selected.
-shows you what it's guessing as you swipe so you can lift early to improve typing speed.
-more accurate tapping

Swype:
-Gives you choices after you swype a word so you don't have to go back to the word to correct if it is wrong on its first pick
-more accurate swiping

All in all I like swift key better for its numerous advantages. Despite not getting choices after swyping in a word, it usually knows what I am saying so I rarely need to go back to correct a word anyway.

jinda628

Nov 12, 2012
New York
Can you swipe now with both thumbs at the same time with Swype or Swiftkey?
I am using Keymonk and it allows you to do that but I really dont like their keyboard layout compared to Swiftkey or Samsung's default kb.

JesseMT4G

Aug 30, 2011
Youngstown
I sometimes miss the numbers option on stock keyboard, but the word prediction is amazing with SwiftKey and flow is just as good.

Paid 4 bucks and gladly so.

Fancy pants Note ||:)

Reactions: snc74

jsapp

Jan 27, 2009
I have the paid versions of Swipe, Swiftkey, Kii and Slideit. I haven't used Slideit for quite a while so I cannot give input on that. Kii I like the numbers on the top row and arrow notions, but got the wrong word a lot. Swiftkey is decent, but it it's a pain in the ads to go back and correct previously typed words and wasn't as good getting the right weird, but great at prediction Swype, I keep going back to. Don't use prediction enough, but the main reason is that I can use it to enter passwords and the ease of going back to correct words.

jinda628

Nov 12, 2012
New York
This is what I've been using. Really fast when you get used to it.
Predictive text work fine too.

Could have been better if there are number rows above like the default kb.

OmmNomNom

May 14, 2013
I take Swype because it has traditional Chinese support

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

pberge

Dec 20, 2012
Piermont, NY
I have been jumping back and forth between SwiftKey Flow and Swype for a while and keep coming back to Swype. I hardly ever tap, so that negates many of the advantages of Swiftkey and I find the swiping accuracy is better with Swype.

By far the most important thing is the ability to change words after they are swiped without having to backspace first.
Then there are the Swype gestures. Swipe from ? or ! to the spacebar instead of long pressing a key. Copy, paste, select all shortcuts and the edit panel are also really useful.
The ability to directly access either the full sized number pad or standard top row number layout.

The one thing I would love to see is the ability to change the long press delay, which is one of the most requested features but somehow always gets ignored.

You_got_owned123

Feb 7, 2012
Tacoma
I **** stock the layout if stock but hate how it functions- ir should I say, doesn't function..Even with the new autocorrect version, it's quite hard to use. I prefer Swiftkey

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

crazygerz

Jul 30, 2011
tegucigalpa/Honduras
I've always used in htc Swype as default came Swiftkey I never used because I have not seen the need now with my note2 use the Samsung which is similar or keyboard google in version 4.2 greatly improved

ShawnReg

Jun 12, 2013
Both are basically same but I have Swype

Well, basically both Swiftkey and Swype are the same except in Swiftkey you can disable flow or swipe feature and there are loads of other features like split keyboard and bla bla. If you don't mind spending $4 on Swiftkey then go for it. If you just want the swype feature go for Swype.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nothing beats SwiftKey

Sent from my SGH-T889V using xda app-developers app
    Swiftkey on tablets, Swype on phones.

Swift-Kizzle flizow - gets my vizote ;)
    I wanna try the flow thing but I bought my swiftkey from Amazon a while ago and it's still on version 1.1.19. Anyone know if I can upgrade?

I've had a couple of upgrades to my Amazon-bought SwiftKey, this week. Flow is now included.
    I like the numbers on top, without holding the keys, and hand writing compatibilities with S Pen on the Samsung keyboard. I love the arrow keys and ten keyboard on the SwiftKey.
    When it comes between Swype keyboard and SwiftKey keyboard I would choose SwiftKey. SwiftKey is better in choosing the right words and has more features than Swype.
    The only thing I would like to see in SwiftKey keyboard is numbers on top, without holding the keys, and hand writing compatibilities with S Pen. Then SwiftKey would be the most perfect keyboard.

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
    Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
    Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
    Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
    Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
    Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
    Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
    Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)