Phone is Semi-Bricked and I'm lost..

Search This thread

MytouchUser

Dec 19, 2009
I bought a phone from craigslist and it appears to be bricked.

Under the suggestion of a friend, I am trying to find out how to fix the phone by reading xda-developer forum but I'm a bit lost..

The phone boots and get stuck at the HERO screen and won't go any further.
I am able to back+end to get to the screen that says

SAPPHIRE PVT 32B SHIP S-ON G
HBOOT-1.33.0006 (SAPP30000)
CPLD-10
RADIO-2.22.19.261
MAY 27 2009, 19:06.41

I checked the sd card that was in the phone and it looks like the seller had played around with rooting/installing rom. The file KiNgxKxROM_v2.3_signed.zip is in the root of the sd card.

I tried following the tutorial that show how to access the phone using adb but it doesn't list the phone under list of devices attached.

When I connect the phone via usb, my window7 doesnt recognize the device under the device manager. I tried installing the HTC sync and it still doesnt see it.

I'm at a loss what to do from here, I think I need to download a file to the sd card and use update.zip to install a new rom but not sure which one I'm suppose to use and I don't want to do anything else to the phone that might give it permanent damage to the point of no return.

If someone can guide me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it as I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the info here.

Thanks in Advance.

sffr

Jul 2, 2008
Power it on with Home + Power tell me what screen comes up. If it is a custom recovery you can just flash CyanogenMod.

oshizzle1991

Aug 1, 2009
Vancouver WA
what recovery image is it? power on using HOME AND POWER AT THE SAME TIME. if you see an option to "wipe ext filesystem" DO IT. once its wiped, reboot the phone, that should work. the guy probably didnt wipe the ext filesystems, and hero roms will bootloop if the ext filesystem is not wiped

MytouchUser

Dec 19, 2009
First of all, thanks for helping me through this..

Home+Power goes to Android system recovery
-Reboot system now
-USB-MS toggle
-Back/Restore
-Flash zip from sdcard
-Wipe
-Partition sdcard
-Other

I have removed the sd card from the phone, the sd card shows there is a KiNgxKxRom_v2.3_signed.zip, should I wipe, then flash zip from sdcard?

can I safely assume that the phone has been unlocked and rooted?

Thanks for your help

MytouchUser

Dec 19, 2009
Here's what I have found..

-USB-MS toggle: clicking on this enables the mount of the usb and I am able to see the SD card in my win7 but adb shell still doesnt see it under the list of devices attached

-Backup/Restore: clickign on this gives me these options
-Nand backup
-Nand + ext backup
-Nand restore
-BART backup
-Bart restore

-Flash zip from sdcart: clicking on this ask me if i want to flash the KiNgxKxRom_v2.3_signed.zip

- Wipe: gives me these options
-Wipe data/factory reset
-Wipe Dalvik-cache
-Wipe SD:ext partition
-Wipe battery stats
-Wipe rotate settings

-Partition sdcart: clicking on this gives me
-partition SD
-Repair SD:ext
-SD: ext2 to ext3
-SD: ext3 to ext4

I'm not sure if these are the original settings or if they are of a new rom.. so I'm listing everything here.

prophetjinn

Nov 3, 2009
That looks like Amon Ra's recovery image. Your phone is fine. =) I'm not sure what phone you said you have but i'm guessing it's a G1. Just as they said, choose this option:
-Wipe SD:ext partition
Then do:
-Repair SD:ext
Then reboot and see if it boots into the hero rom. If it doesn't, try installing another rom like Dwang's or Cyan's Rom. Are you familiar with flashing roms?

Edit: The phone is Rooted. It's got Amon Ra's recovery image. =)

MytouchUser

Dec 19, 2009
It's a mytouch and my GF got it for me as a surprise because she heard me mention I wanted to upgrade my G1 to the mytouch.

I'm new to the whole flashing scene and this will be my first.

by the way, I'm on ATT and if its been rooted I should be able to bypss the Hero screen but with or without the sim in the phone, I was stuck at that screen so I thought my GF got a bricked phone. I even tried it with a friend's T-Mobile sim with data and same issue persists.

MytouchUser

Dec 19, 2009
I tried -Wipe SD:ext partition Then do: -Repair SD:ext but same problem, stuck at the Hero screen. I'm ready to flash my first rom since it seems like my phone has been rooted.

Can I flash with this rom? It says its for 32A but my phone says PVT 32B

PORT][EBI1/32A]Cyanogenmod 4.2.9.1 EBI1/32A Port [Dec 18][CM D partition for this release)
Apply Zip: HTC_ADP_1.6_DRC83_rooted_base.zip
Apply Zip: update-cm-4.2.9.1-signed.zip
Apply Kernel Port Zip: rad-4.xxxx.zip or bc-4.xxxx.zip

sffr

Jul 2, 2008
If it still doesnt boot.

Follow the Below instructions to bring up to CyanogenMod Donut 1.6 Rooted.

PS: If your on AT&T 3G will NOT work.

Mount the USB with the SD Card installed via Recovery. A new PC Drive will show up in Windows

Download the Following

http://dx.infernix.net/DRC83_base_defanged.zip &
http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/update-cm-4.2.9.1-signed.zip to root of SD CARD

Inside Recovery (Home+Power)

Wipe
Run Apply SD CARD CHOOSE ZIP
Selected DRC83_base_defanged.zip
Let that flash
When finished Write Update-cm-4.2.9.1.signed.zip
Let that finish then select reboot System now.

Once that is finished you will have a fresh system. No Hero anymore but the standard Android Donut rooted and CyanogenMod.

sffr

Jul 2, 2008
Detailed Directions

You will now install the actual OS of the phone. First you will install the legal Google apps, and then you will install CyanogenMod on top of those apps.

1.Turn your phone off.
2.Hold the Home button while booting to get to Recovery mode.
3.Select "wipe data/factory reset") (MT3G/Magic boots to andrOid then black screen with back-lite if you don't do this.)
4.Select "apply any zip from sd")
choose "DRC83_base_defanged.zip"
5.Press home to confirm and let installation complete ('Formatting Cache' will stay at the bottom of the screen but once the menu reappears, the flashing is complete)
6.STOP - DO NOT REBOOT YOUR PHONE
7.Again, select "apply any zip from sd")
choose "update-cm-4.2.x-signed.zip"
8.Press home to confirm and let installation complete
9.When this is complete, reboot your phone by pressing Home & Back or selecting that option.
10.Wait. This will take a couple of minutes. Be patient!

MytouchUser

Dec 19, 2009
sffr: You wrote, "PS: If your on AT&T 3G will NOT work."

can you explain why? I thought if the phone is rooted i can use it with any carrier?

sffr

Jul 2, 2008
Rooted refers to you having "SU" Super User permissions and being able to flash any rom.

AT&T uses different 3G Frequncies: ATt 3G uses 850 and 1900 Mhz for 3G
T-Mo uses: 1700 Mhz & 2100 Mhz.

The MyTouch 3g Supports HSDPA/UMTS on 1700 Downlink and 2100 Uplink so they arent compatible.

I dont know if it will work on AT&T it might still be Carrier lock I'm not sure what happens to SIM lock once you root.

MytouchUser

Dec 19, 2009
sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you mean ATT wont work but you meant 3G. Yeah, unfortunately I'm stuck on edge.

I am flashing following the steps you mentioned, wish me luck and yeah I might need to get an unlock code for the phone after it resets.

MytouchUser

Dec 19, 2009
Thanks! I'm able to boot to the activation screen but its asking me to an unlock code so I'm going to get one now

If you are getting an question for the unlock code, your phone was not unlocked yet. Get that done. As for 3G, unless you have the 32A (Rogers), you will not get 3G with AT&T. You will still get Edge (usable). I have edge on my ion and rogers magic has 3G with att. ATT and T-Mo use different frequencies for 3G and mytouch do not come with the right radio for 3G to be used with AT&T

rubercarkeys

Nov 30, 2009
this seemed to be working for me but once i did the drc83 it said E:Verification failed E: Corrupt file:system/media/audio/ringtones/terminated.ogg
Installation aborted.

idk...strange stuff i hope its not bricked