Galaxy S2 Won't Boot, Stuck at Model Logo Screen

Search This thread

solidex

Apr 11, 2014
Hi everyone,

I found my non-rooted officially updated Ice Cream Sandwich Galaxy S2 phone turned off a few days ago. Upon switching on it won't go past the I9100 Samsung Galaxy S II screen, no matter how long I wait. I haven't flashed it before this moment with any custom ROMs or did actually make anything funny to it, including rooting.

Using Odin different versions I tried flashing it with official ROMs but it generally gets stuck either on NAND Write Start or at Set Partition/cache.img. Since only with the ROM with no pit, modem and CSC files I got no result, I was advised in another forum to flash with them so they can see what I reach. The suggested files were CODE_I9100XXLSJ for PDA, emmc_EXT4_16GB.pit for PIT, MODEM_I9100XXLS6 for Phone, and for CSC - CSC_HOME_OXX_I9100OXXLS1.

The second version which was a bit earlier was PDA CODE_I9100XXKG3_CL401405_REV02_user_low_ship.tar, u1_02_20110310_emmc_EXT4 PIT, MODEM_I9100XXKG3_REV_02_CL1040774.tar phone and GT-I9100-CSC-MULTI-OXAKG3.tar.

I tried flashing with both using almost every Odin version, from 1.3, 1.83, 1.85, 3.04 to 3.09 with only being able to reach the stages of NAND Write Start and Set Partition. I can only access download mode and not recovery mode.

Since I have been trying to solve the problem for a few days now, I also removed the battery for more than 2 minutes before flash, moved through different USB ports, going with different Odin versions, turning my anti-virus program off (I don't have KIES installed) with no success after the above point. The only thing I can't do now is change the USB cable but it is a nice one and the drivers and Windows recognise it OK with the phone. Since a xda thread I found suggested that re-partitioning off helped many people in my phone state I tried that too without opportunity to go any further. I also removed my SIM card and external 64 GB memory card just to check if there would be any difference (and also knowing this is recommended for wiping out their content), no help.

Can anyone give me advice what I could do to get the phone back to life? Could the internal 16GB memory be dying? Can I use something like the shared here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1823918 to check on bad sectors?

This is my first time to go through such experiences so excuse me if I have missed something. I will get back with more details as required. Thanks for your comments!

Last edited:

jeevan000

Dec 23, 2013
New Delhi
xdaforums.com
Dude..... I also did experiments wid ma phn......... nd faced da same prblm at da beginning...... try odin 3.04... its da best..... nd download ur s2 stock rom through sammobile.....

1st make sure dat samsung usb drivers are installed in ur pc..... install samsung kies...... it will automatically install drivers to ur pc.....

Den boot into download mode.... connect usb..... open odin in pc.... unmark auto reboot option...wen it shows blue color box written id:com....... flash ur s2 stock rom..... and wait till it doesnt get completed....... it will take time...so be calm..

after the rom will flashed completely....it will show a message "pass"

disconnect ur usb..... remove da battery.... wait for. 10 sec.... and reboot....... let me know if this helps u out...

Sent using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Current Device-Galaxy Grand running GenNxt ROM

solidex

Apr 11, 2014
Dude..... I also did experiments wid ma phn......... nd faced da same prblm at da beginning...... try odin 3.04... its da best..... nd download ur s2 stock rom through sammobile.....

1st make sure dat samsung usb drivers are installed in ur pc..... install samsung kies...... it will automatically install drivers to ur pc.....

Den boot into download mode.... connect usb..... open odin in pc.... unmark auto reboot option...wen it shows blue color box written id:com....... flash ur s2 stock rom..... and wait till it doesnt get completed....... it will take time...so be calm..

after the rom will flashed completely....it will show a message "pass"

disconnect ur usb..... remove da battery.... wait for. 10 sec.... and reboot....... let me know if this helps u out...

Sent using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Current Device-Galaxy Grand running GenNxt ROM

Thanks jeevan000, currently flashing with 3.04 with reboot turned off and 4.1.2 JellyBean leak (I9100XXLSJ) from the suggested topic (thanks TheImpossibleEnemy). It failed but I will try once more, then will test an official ROM. Using primary USB port, installed KIES, killed its processes before starting, anti-virus turned off. Screenshot attached.

Tried with I9100XWLSS firmware too, downloaded by SamMobile, Fail again. I am frankly unsure what happens behind and how to troubleshoot it. All files to access are also properly unzipped and Odin itself is also unzipped. My only personal resort/hope is that so far I have used only one USB cable, tomorrow I will try with another or two. What brings me down is not that my phone is broken but that there is no way to get to what is really wrong...

Last edited:

jeevan000

Dec 23, 2013
New Delhi
xdaforums.com
i don't know..... wat's going on den......... i will suggest u to try ur own country official rom as u r saying dat u are using a leaked version... and have u installed kies.... try using the official one

Last edited:

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Your problem is you're listening to a person who has no idea of what they're talking about, and ignoring the one who does. You need to go to the thread you were linked to by the person in this thread who does know what they're talking about. You need to try the stuff in that thread over and over and over and over until you get a successful flash. There's nothing else which isn't in that thread that can be suggested in these situations.

The alternative to persevering with the suggestions in the 'Bible' you were linked to (which that thread is in these situations) is giving up & paying a Samsung service centre a relatively large sum of money to fix your phone, or throwing it in the bin.

Right...You now have the different options, and you also have the tools you need to fix your phone. The rest is up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheImpossibleEnemy

jeevan000

Dec 23, 2013
New Delhi
xdaforums.com
Your problem is you're listening to a person who has no idea of what they're talking about, and ignoring the one who does. You need to go to the thread you were linked to by the person in this thread who does know what they're talking about. You need to try the stuff in that thread over and over and over and over until you get a successful flash. There's nothing else which isn't in that thread that can be suggested in these situations.

The alternative to persevering with the suggestions in the 'Bible' you were linked to (which that thread is in these situations) is giving up & paying a Samsung service centre a relatively large sum of money to fix your phone, or throwing it in the bin.

Right...You now have the different options, and you also have the tools you need to fix your phone. The rest is up to you.

who u r talking about......... if u know da solution,,,its better to give it.....instead of spamming the thread & blaming others

solidex

Apr 11, 2014

Yes, I have not given up and will not whatsoever. I am going for a few more USB cables, will try to buy an original Samsung one since my original one was taken by someone at work by mistake and I lost it so using a Kindle one instead. I have hope since the phone is entering download mode every time. My only alternative concern is that the problem may be hardware one since the phone was even with android 2.3.4 that I purchased it with officially and once or twice it turned off by itself, which was fixed by long holding of the turn on button or removing the battery.

I will not contact a Samsung centre as I have friends left their phones in weird conditions and Samsung/the vendor representing it kept them for up to 1 month returning them with either the same problems or doing something superficial saying the phone was OK, or claiming it had nothing to do with them, or even that they need a replacement since the phone was dead. What is better than that?

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
As long as you still have download mode, the majority of the time it's recoverable, though not 100% of the time. There's always a chance the flash is failing because the NAND is corrupted.

Those issues you described with the phone crashing/powering off for no reason could indicate something hardware-wise which might be causing your flash attempts to barf. If you're still trying in a few days & it's not happening, it's really quick/cheap/easy to replace the USB board/port yourself. When these are on the way out, they rarely die completely & often show a few faults & work OK for other things. They can sometimes cause phones to crash/power off/reboot like you described. So as this is really cheap to do (cheaper than going the change motherboard route anyways), try that before you start thinking about replacing the motherboard. KeithRoss39 has a guide in General (search for 'replace USB charger board') which will enable you to do it easily yourself.

If you get to that point of having replaced the USB board/port (by which time you'd have been at it for over a week by the time the part arrives) & it's still not taking a flash, then you'd look at motherboard replacement or a new phone.

So far as what might be wrong with it is concerned, it's electronics. They fail. I'm always surprised at other people's surprise on here when it happens. It happens. A lot. If it's not the NAND itself, it will be something else on the motherboard causing it to crash/power off & not take a flash (assuming you don't fix it). But the fix is still motherboard replacement because attempting to replace individual components is very fiddly, and would cost you more than it costs to have a board replaced in labour alone.

If you get to the point of deciding whether to get a new board or new phone, search online & see how much it will cost you to source a 2nd hand board (assuming you want to keep the phone rather than get another one). Once you've done that, you can get the board & take it to a local mobile repair shop (not Samsung service centre) and pay them to swap it. Will still be a lot cheaper than having a service centre put a new board in, and you won't have to put up the poor service you spoke of.

Reactions: solidex

solidex

Apr 11, 2014
I was thinking of waiting for the Samsung's suggested F-series flagship/Note 4 or Sony Experia Z3 later in the year (Z2 is great but with user irreplaceable battery which for me is a no-go), but considering the case, no matter the outcome I am probably going for Note III next month.

Just to rephrase what you said, I tried flashing again yesterday with the new USB cable, it reached the data.img stage this time and failed with Odin 3.09. I haven't reached that so far so will try with other firmwares as I proceed. I found the USB charger board replacement thread, http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/general/guide-replacing-usb-charger-board-t2335961, great is a mild description for the efforts in there and the video itself! If there is no progress until the middle of the next week, I will order a USB board and replace it, and then will follow your advice on the motherboard. I could see that I can have it for about GBP 35 (for now this is something that I do not want to consider).

If things go well, I will sell the S2. It's a great phone, it's been with me for about 3 years now (got it immediately once it started selling) and apart from slight left bottom screen corner darker backlight irregularity, common for the first year sold S2s and varying over the firmwares set, it has been built very well and is still an above-average device that has brought me a lot of pleasure working with. Still it is electronics so maybe it was time for something new...

P.S. After the last update, when I started it today it goes into 'Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.' I think the battery is low so will recharge it completely and see if download can be entered. Going through this thread so will see if anything is to change, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2258628

Last edited:
Reactions: MistahBungle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As long as you still have download mode, the majority of the time it's recoverable, though not 100% of the time. There's always a chance the flash is failing because the NAND is corrupted.

Those issues you described with the phone crashing/powering off for no reason could indicate something hardware-wise which might be causing your flash attempts to barf. If you're still trying in a few days & it's not happening, it's really quick/cheap/easy to replace the USB board/port yourself. When these are on the way out, they rarely die completely & often show a few faults & work OK for other things. They can sometimes cause phones to crash/power off/reboot like you described. So as this is really cheap to do (cheaper than going the change motherboard route anyways), try that before you start thinking about replacing the motherboard. KeithRoss39 has a guide in General (search for 'replace USB charger board') which will enable you to do it easily yourself.

If you get to that point of having replaced the USB board/port (by which time you'd have been at it for over a week by the time the part arrives) & it's still not taking a flash, then you'd look at motherboard replacement or a new phone.

So far as what might be wrong with it is concerned, it's electronics. They fail. I'm always surprised at other people's surprise on here when it happens. It happens. A lot. If it's not the NAND itself, it will be something else on the motherboard causing it to crash/power off & not take a flash (assuming you don't fix it). But the fix is still motherboard replacement because attempting to replace individual components is very fiddly, and would cost you more than it costs to have a board replaced in labour alone.

If you get to the point of deciding whether to get a new board or new phone, search online & see how much it will cost you to source a 2nd hand board (assuming you want to keep the phone rather than get another one). Once you've done that, you can get the board & take it to a local mobile repair shop (not Samsung service centre) and pay them to swap it. Will still be a lot cheaper than having a service centre put a new board in, and you won't have to put up the poor service you spoke of.
    I was thinking of waiting for the Samsung's suggested F-series flagship/Note 4 or Sony Experia Z3 later in the year (Z2 is great but with user irreplaceable battery which for me is a no-go), but considering the case, no matter the outcome I am probably going for Note III next month.

Just to rephrase what you said, I tried flashing again yesterday with the new USB cable, it reached the data.img stage this time and failed with Odin 3.09. I haven't reached that so far so will try with other firmwares as I proceed. I found the USB charger board replacement thread, http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/general/guide-replacing-usb-charger-board-t2335961, great is a mild description for the efforts in there and the video itself! If there is no progress until the middle of the next week, I will order a USB board and replace it, and then will follow your advice on the motherboard. I could see that I can have it for about GBP 35 (for now this is something that I do not want to consider).

If things go well, I will sell the S2. It's a great phone, it's been with me for about 3 years now (got it immediately once it started selling) and apart from slight left bottom screen corner darker backlight irregularity, common for the first year sold S2s and varying over the firmwares set, it has been built very well and is still an above-average device that has brought me a lot of pleasure working with. Still it is electronics so maybe it was time for something new...

P.S. After the last update, when I started it today it goes into 'Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again.' I think the battery is low so will recharge it completely and see if download can be entered. Going through this thread so will see if anything is to change, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2258628