Zopo 9520 (小黑2) maybe also ZP998, flashing roms and rooting

Search This thread

samos123

Aug 17, 2010
Beijing
This is a guide for the Chinese version of the Zopo zp998 which has model number 9520. It seems the roms for ZP998 and 9520 may be compatible, but the bootloader is NOT compatible.

UPDATE: Roms for ZP998 can also be flashed on the 9520, but make sure you don't flash the bootloader. If you flash the bootloader you will brick your phone!

My current experience is that flashing YunOS as base firmware and flashing a customized android stock rom using CWM recovery is working best for me.

Flashing with SP flash tools (See detailed tutorial here:
1. Install the Mediatek USB vcom drivers, which can be found here:
2. Download the firmware which is normally in an archive (.zip) file, extract the archive.
Inside this archive there should be a scatter file and the system.img, boot.img etc.
3. Download and open the SP Flash tool, which can be found here.
4. Select the scatter file of the extracted archive
5. Click on download
6. Turn off your phone, and connect your phone to the PC with your USB cable (Sometimes you maybe need to hold Volume UP while connecting).
7. Wait for the popup which shows Download OK.

List of firmware I've found that can be flashed using SP Flash tool:
YunOS - 3.2.1 (Official) (Mirror coming soon)
Stock android 4.2.2 (Seems a port of ZP998)

Install CWM recovery (Not tested):
Flash the following archive using SP Flash tool: flash_recovery.zip

Booting into recovery:
1. Turn of your phone
2. Connect your phone to the USB cable of your PC
3. It should show a battery icon that it's charging only
4. Press Volume up + power button at the same time for about 5 - 10 sec. (Note sequence is important :p)

Rooting with recovery:
1. Download SuperSU.zip and put it on your SD card
2. Boot into recovery
2. Apply zip from SD card, select SuperSU.zip

It's also possible to root by using the SP Flash tool.

I'm using this rom:
Custom Android 4.2.2 with lots of optimizations and Gapps included: http://bbs.ydss.cn/thread-388092-1-1.html
Download link: 9520_4.2.2_optimized.zip
Installation instructions:
1. Flash Yunos 2.3.1 firmware using SP Flash tool
2. Install recovery
3. Place 9520_4.2.2_optimized.zip on your sd card
4. Boot into recovery
5. Apply zip from SD card

A Chinese BBS where new roms are being developed for Zopo 9520: http://bbs.ydss.cn/forum-zopu_xiaohei2-1.html

Last edited:

naffesahmed

Feb 26, 2014
Please help me to take decision.

Hello Samos,

My friend is in china [Shanghai], he would be returning to India in 10 days. Shall i buy Zopo 9250 from there and use in India? because there he is unable to find Zopo Zp998 mobile. please help me, what can i do after i bought that.? how to change the setting for India location and to change to Android application.? to Usual Zopo ZP998 settings? after that shall i apply all other future application which release for Zopo ZP998?

Regards,
N.Naffes

youngchaos

Jul 15, 2013
Rome
This is a guide for the Chinese version of the Zopo zp998 which has model number 9520. It seems the roms for ZP998 and 9520 may be compatible, but the bootloader is NOT compatible.

UPDATE: Roms for ZP998 can also be flashed on the 9520, but make sure you don't flash the bootloader. If you flash the bootloader you will brick your phone!

My current experience is that flashing YunOS as base firmware and flashing a customized android stock rom using CWM recovery is working best for me.

Flashing with SP flash tools (See detailed tutorial here:
1. Install the Mediatek USB vcom drivers, which can be found here:
2. Download the firmware which is normally in an archive (.zip) file, extract the archive.
Inside this archive there should be a scatter file and the system.img, boot.img etc.
3. Download and open the SP Flash tool, which can be found here.
4. Select the scatter file of the extracted archive
5. Click on download
6. Turn off your phone, and connect your phone to the PC with your USB cable (Sometimes you maybe need to hold Volume UP while connecting).
7. Wait for the popup which shows Download OK.

List of firmware I've found that can be flashed using SP Flash tool:
YunOS - 3.2.1 (Official) (Mirror coming soon)
Stock android 4.2.2 (Seems a port of ZP998)

Install CWM recovery (Not tested):
Flash the following archive using SP Flash tool: flash_recovery.zip

Booting into recovery:
1. Turn of your phone
2. Connect your phone to the USB cable of your PC
3. It should show a battery icon that it's charging only
4. Press Volume up + power button at the same time for about 5 - 10 sec. (Note sequence is important :p)

Rooting with recovery:
1. Download SuperSU.zip and put it on your SD card
2. Boot into recovery
2. Apply zip from SD card, select SuperSU.zip

It's also possible to root by using the SP Flash tool.

I'm using this rom:
Custom Android 4.2.2 with lots of optimizations and Gapps included: http://bbs.ydss.cn/thread-388092-1-1.html
Download link: 9520_4.2.2_optimized.zip
Installation instructions:
1. Flash Yunos 2.3.1 firmware using SP Flash tool
2. Install recovery
3. Place 9520_4.2.2_optimized.zip on your sd card
4. Boot into recovery
5. Apply zip from SD card

A Chinese BBS where new roms are being developed for Zopo 9520: http://bbs.ydss.cn/forum-zopu_xiaohei2-1.html

Do you tried yet YunOS on Zopo 998? using Flashtool and unchecking preloader?

samos123

Aug 17, 2010
Beijing
Do you tried yet YunOS on Zopo 998? using Flashtool and unchecking preloader?

I didn't try as I own a 9520 instead of a 998, but that should work I guess. As people with the 9520 can also install roms of 998.
@Naffeshamed: You can just flash roms of zopo zp 998 so if you can either buy it in China or buy the Zopo Zp998 from aliexpress.com its nearly the same price actually.

youngchaos

Jul 15, 2013
Rome
I didn't try as I own a 9520 instead of a 998, but that should work I guess. As people with the 9520 can also install roms of 998.

But i always need to uncheck preloader, right? I'm asking around and let you know asap ;)

i saw that your model has more support from chinese devs ! That's why i would like know if i can flash their rom aswell , give you some info asap :)

If you can mirror the YunOS file would be great , bbs so slow... Mega would be great :)

naffesahmed

Feb 26, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I have no experience in smart mobile operating, Today I got my Zopo 9520 mobile from china Yun O.S. But please tell me hw can I change it to Android O.S and other installations. why should I change the rom? What are the installations I have to do? please help me on this mate.

my email id is: click2nafy@gmail.com

tofclaire

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I have no experience in smart mobile operating, Today I got my Zopo 9520 mobile from china Yun O.S. But please tell me hw can I change it to Android O.S and other installations. why should I change the rom? What are the installations I have to do? please help me on this mate.

my email id is: click2nafy@gmail.com

yunos isn't an android os ?

naffesahmed

Feb 26, 2014
Help me on this please

Hi,

Am really sorry. I have poor knowledge on this.

I bought Zopo 9520 from china in Yun O.S. Please tell me the procedure, how to change it to Android O.S and to update the Zopo ZP998 Rom. I have the mobile with me from past 2 weeks, but nothing is understandable in Chinese apps. please help me on this.

Naffes

naffesahmed

Feb 26, 2014
yunos isn't an android os ?

I don't need Yun O.S in my phone, pls help me on this

I bought Zopo 9520 from china in Yun O.S. Please tell me the procedure, how to change it to Android O.S and to update the Zopo Rom. I have the mobile with me from past 2 weeks, but nothing is understandable in Chinese apps. please help me on this. Am from India, I want to use normal phone like Zopo Zp998 Android phone. let me know the procedure.

I have downloaded the Rom from needrom website and it is for ZP 998, can this I apply on my 9250? the name of the downloaded rom is 'FluffyZopo ZP998 V1.01.zip'