DHD GPS issue fixed, 100% working

Search This thread

rakesh2002

Dec 6, 2010
Bangalore, India..
l.jpg

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while troubles will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn."

--------------------------+----------------------------------+------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+-------------
Hi,

WARNING!!! ------>PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING WITH YOUR DESIRE HD

TO ALL THE DHD OWNERS: IF YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF REPAIRING THEN PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY ATTEMPTS. KINDLY LOOK FOR EXPERTS/PROFESSIONALS WHO SHALL HAVE ALL THE TOOLS, WHO SHALL KNOW SOLDERING (WHICH I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND) AND SO ON. JUST A GENTLE REMINDER: YOUR PHONE IS EXPENSIVE AND ISN'T SOMETHING TO BE PLAYED/MEDDLED WITH.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO THE MODS: I have tried my best to make sure the solution is genuine. I have requested the Desire HD owners to understand thoroughly the procedures of repairing . I presume that the readers are well educated and sensible. Despite that, if you feel that many are disappointed or not satisfied with the method i've described, you can terminate this thread. What I've mentioned is based on my true experience and my only intention is to help people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECOMMENDATION: Install GPS apps such as GPS Status and GPS test and see if you happen to get a good fix, if not please proceed.

After having searched for GPS solution, I literally gave up on this. Now, after the fix, I am so happy that I keep looking at my GPS software locking the coordinates even though i am not travelling.

You might have heard of the following:

a) GPS signal is low during rainy days due to clouds

b) GPS signal is weak inside buildings due to concrete walls etc..

I had the same issue and I thought I ended up with a hopeless phone, later that I realized that It is the best phone I bought.

I finally fixed my GPS issue, the results are:

a) My Desire HD got locked with all the 12 satellites, during the rain

b)I am in my bedroom and I get around 6 - 7 GPS signals.

What could the issue be: SOFTWARE/ RADIO -------> NO

The issue is------------------------------------------> HARDWARE

Procedure

[credit: waveking9 from XDA and knglaser from Youtube]

1. At the rear of the DHD is the camera Flash zone (A small Rectangular casing)

2. First, Turn off your DHD and remove the battery.

3. Then open the casing: You need sharp tipped tool to open it. Be careful, take your time: Place the sharp tip tool( like your screwdriver etc.) at the right side of the casing and pull it out.

4. Once you succeed, you notice that the casing has two gold contacts and your DHD has two spring contacts (gold).

5. Blow off the dust, if any, and mildly pull the spring upward so that the casing and the spring have a firm contact when you place back the casing.

6. Once done with the spring contact, clean the casing contacts properly.

7. Place the casing back: from left to right: pretty tricky but you can do it.

8. Thats it, power up your DHD, install a software called "GPS Test" and see the magic for yourself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4588147...7626706509210
[credit: lrm537]

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage, do it at your own risk. It worked for me. I hope it works for you too.

Peace,

Rakesh

Latest Addition: Dated 4/16/2012

Soldering has never been recommended in the main post. I would request every DHD owner with soldering in their mind to first use standard repair procedure which must work by the way. The alternative is to invest $5 on the antenna casing which could be found in Ebay or other popular E-shopping websites.

Only those with soldering expertise could take the extreme steps because extreme heat can burn the internal circuitry or adversely hamper the very intention of this post.

For those successful and unsuccessful in solving the GPS issue:

I stumbled upon this post and, to my astonishment, someone has already dealt with this issue. This post offers a clearer and technically insightful detail on GPS and it's working. The smarter readers shall make most out of it even though it is for Samsung phones. All the credit goes to this gentleman:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=878970

please thank him.

I never gave a check on the SNR before the repair, but now I get around
[22dB-avg/32dB-peak/6-7 sat/15 meters max accuracy/3 min max hot fix/ 30 sec max cold fix] within the house(near the window).
under open sky, it comes to around
[25dB-avg/36dB-peak/11-12 sat/6 meters max accuracy/20 sec max hot fix/6 sec max cold fix]

I totally agree with the point that it's hardware and it is not something to be messed up with. This is a delicate process needing surgical precision in repairing. For anyone planning to use this technique, please think twice and make sure that you are equipped with required tools. Watch YouTube videos on disassembling, or look for HTC tech support. I too am disappointed with HTC and I feel that HTC guys need to pick up with Apple guys when it comes to hardware testing. It's a shame that they are not able to rectify such issues. May be they will rectify this issue, but the future generation phone customers will benefit out of our disappointments.

The challenge is to make the GPS work without the support of WiFi and/ or data plan. In my case, I don't use data plan due to expenses, so I rely solely on GPS and not A-GPS. Apart from the radio signal for audio communication, the GPS uses extremely high frequency (around 1560 MHz) and other than the internal software performing complex convolution of Baseband signal along with the acquired GPS signal (could be weak) in order to triangulate our locations based on the radio stations nearby, I don't think they will be of any help for this matter. The issue arises when there are few radio stations or towers, specially in outskirts or country sides.

Internal GPS receiver module defect is like 1:1000 and GPS antenna contact issue, I believe, is around 20:100 due to mechanical wear/ vibration and hence the probability of making your GPS work, using the technique I mentioned, is pretty much high.

Like most of the posted messages: BE CAREFUL.

Apart from the aforementioned solution, we also need to consider the external casing used for DHD and how it affects the GPS performance, following video shows one such test:

[credit: shishengsun from Youtube]​

again, it is up to the user to decide the quality of the casing, not just in terms of their robustness, but also their affinity towards in-coming GPS signals. However, it is highly recommended for the DHD owners to use external casing so as to protect them from impact fracture, dust and scratches.

My final quote is "being half-witted is worse than not being witty at all".

So study through various informations posted elsewhere in internet, understand the technical aspects of the device (for example: which material could affect the SNR of GPS signals (plastic, silicone, metallic etc..), circuital aspects of GPS receiver etc.

Good luck:)

Last edited:

nxlevel

Jun 10, 2007
Las Pinas
nxlevel.co.uk
GPS (by definition: Global Positioning Satellite) systems inherently need a clear view of the sky to work and get a "fix" on your location.

Hence it doesn't work indoors. Or will work very briefly right after going indoors from a running session outside.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

rakesh2002

Dec 6, 2010
Bangalore, India..
I stay in a three-floor apartment in California (I stay in the 2nd floor) . I get GPS fix while Sitting/Standing besides/around windows and, to my astonishment, I happen to get the signal even in my living room after dealing with the hardware. I didn't mean building in a literal sense, it could be around the vicinity of sky like windows and patio etc..

blaze0303

Jan 15, 2011
Daytona Beach
Worked on both my DHD's thanks alot. Also found out some interesting information. DHD's with the hole arnt just for eazy access to that cover, there is in fact a second microphone inside. I know this because one of my dhd's has it and the other does not...INTERESTING!

Last edited:

dugsoft

Oct 25, 2009
OMG
you are a life saver!!!
hard to get in and added a little scratch to my phone :-(

but once in i found a little piece of plastic covering the gold contact
removed it and blow in that area
then lifted the 2 gold contacts up a little

very sceptically put phone back together and
connected straight away in 20 seconds to 6 Satellite

happy to say the least.......:D:D

Last edited:

LondonTownGuy

Apr 29, 2007
What type of tool are you using to open it ? having some difficulties

If you take out the battery you can partly push it up with a slim screwdriver from within,then with another very small screwdriver wrapped in tape to avoid scratching pry it open from above.
By the way are you guys using gingerbread Rom? I tried this a while back but could only get gps to work properly on gingerbread using software method aswel.

Last edited:
R

Rhodius77

Thanks for this solution. It's simply amazing! I always had problems finding a good signal. Now my phone found 6 satellites in a half minute.

tomlad

Aug 8, 2009
Wow. Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, WOW!

Your are a legend!

I was just about to buy a bluetooth gps receiver, as I'd given up on ever getting the built in receiver working.

I've gone from occasionally being able to get a bad fix, to a good fix in a matter of seconds. This thread needs to be made sticky.

I accessed the underneath of the cover, via the battery compartment as suggested, it seemed to open up pretty easily for me.

Its just a shame that I didn't know this a few weeks ago, when I found myself in a foreign country with no working GPS!

Thanks once again!

isotoper

Apr 6, 2011
Hi guys, correct me if I wrong, but doesn't these 2 gold contacts belong to the flash ?
How does it influence the GPS ?!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    l.jpg

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while troubles will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn."

--------------------------+----------------------------------+------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+-------------
    Hi,

WARNING!!! ------>PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING WITH YOUR DESIRE HD

TO ALL THE DHD OWNERS: IF YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF REPAIRING THEN PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY ATTEMPTS. KINDLY LOOK FOR EXPERTS/PROFESSIONALS WHO SHALL HAVE ALL THE TOOLS, WHO SHALL KNOW SOLDERING (WHICH I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND) AND SO ON. JUST A GENTLE REMINDER: YOUR PHONE IS EXPENSIVE AND ISN'T SOMETHING TO BE PLAYED/MEDDLED WITH.
    TO THE MODS: I have tried my best to make sure the solution is genuine. I have requested the Desire HD owners to understand thoroughly the procedures of repairing . I presume that the readers are well educated and sensible. Despite that, if you feel that many are disappointed or not satisfied with the method i've described, you can terminate this thread. What I've mentioned is based on my true experience and my only intention is to help people.

RECOMMENDATION: Install GPS apps such as GPS Status and GPS test and see if you happen to get a good fix, if not please proceed.

After having searched for GPS solution, I literally gave up on this. Now, after the fix, I am so happy that I keep looking at my GPS software locking the coordinates even though i am not travelling.

You might have heard of the following:

a) GPS signal is low during rainy days due to clouds

b) GPS signal is weak inside buildings due to concrete walls etc..

I had the same issue and I thought I ended up with a hopeless phone, later that I realized that It is the best phone I bought.

I finally fixed my GPS issue, the results are:

a) My Desire HD got locked with all the 12 satellites, during the rain

b)I am in my bedroom and I get around 6 - 7 GPS signals.

What could the issue be: SOFTWARE/ RADIO -------> NO

The issue is------------------------------------------> HARDWARE

Procedure

[credit: waveking9 from XDA and knglaser from Youtube]

1. At the rear of the DHD is the camera Flash zone (A small Rectangular casing)

2. First, Turn off your DHD and remove the battery.

3. Then open the casing: You need sharp tipped tool to open it. Be careful, take your time: Place the sharp tip tool( like your screwdriver etc.) at the right side of the casing and pull it out.

4. Once you succeed, you notice that the casing has two gold contacts and your DHD has two spring contacts (gold).

5. Blow off the dust, if any, and mildly pull the spring upward so that the casing and the spring have a firm contact when you place back the casing.

6. Once done with the spring contact, clean the casing contacts properly.

7. Place the casing back: from left to right: pretty tricky but you can do it.

8. Thats it, power up your DHD, install a software called "GPS Test" and see the magic for yourself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4588147...7626706509210
    [credit: lrm537]

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage, do it at your own risk. It worked for me. I hope it works for you too.

Peace,

Rakesh

Latest Addition: Dated 4/16/2012

Soldering has never been recommended in the main post. I would request every DHD owner with soldering in their mind to first use standard repair procedure which must work by the way. The alternative is to invest $5 on the antenna casing which could be found in Ebay or other popular E-shopping websites.

Only those with soldering expertise could take the extreme steps because extreme heat can burn the internal circuitry or adversely hamper the very intention of this post.

For those successful and unsuccessful in solving the GPS issue:

I stumbled upon this post and, to my astonishment, someone has already dealt with this issue. This post offers a clearer and technically insightful detail on GPS and it's working. The smarter readers shall make most out of it even though it is for Samsung phones. All the credit goes to this gentleman:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=878970

please thank him.

I never gave a check on the SNR before the repair, but now I get around
    [22dB-avg/32dB-peak/6-7 sat/15 meters max accuracy/3 min max hot fix/ 30 sec max cold fix] within the house(near the window).
    under open sky, it comes to around
    [25dB-avg/36dB-peak/11-12 sat/6 meters max accuracy/20 sec max hot fix/6 sec max cold fix]

I totally agree with the point that it's hardware and it is not something to be messed up with. This is a delicate process needing surgical precision in repairing. For anyone planning to use this technique, please think twice and make sure that you are equipped with required tools. Watch YouTube videos on disassembling, or look for HTC tech support. I too am disappointed with HTC and I feel that HTC guys need to pick up with Apple guys when it comes to hardware testing. It's a shame that they are not able to rectify such issues. May be they will rectify this issue, but the future generation phone customers will benefit out of our disappointments.

The challenge is to make the GPS work without the support of WiFi and/ or data plan. In my case, I don't use data plan due to expenses, so I rely solely on GPS and not A-GPS. Apart from the radio signal for audio communication, the GPS uses extremely high frequency (around 1560 MHz) and other than the internal software performing complex convolution of Baseband signal along with the acquired GPS signal (could be weak) in order to triangulate our locations based on the radio stations nearby, I don't think they will be of any help for this matter. The issue arises when there are few radio stations or towers, specially in outskirts or country sides.

Internal GPS receiver module defect is like 1:1000 and GPS antenna contact issue, I believe, is around 20:100 due to mechanical wear/ vibration and hence the probability of making your GPS work, using the technique I mentioned, is pretty much high.

Like most of the posted messages: BE CAREFUL.

Apart from the aforementioned solution, we also need to consider the external casing used for DHD and how it affects the GPS performance, following video shows one such test:

[credit: shishengsun from Youtube]​

again, it is up to the user to decide the quality of the casing, not just in terms of their robustness, but also their affinity towards in-coming GPS signals. However, it is highly recommended for the DHD owners to use external casing so as to protect them from impact fracture, dust and scratches.

My final quote is "being half-witted is worse than not being witty at all".

So study through various informations posted elsewhere in internet, understand the technical aspects of the device (for example: which material could affect the SNR of GPS signals (plastic, silicone, metallic etc..), circuital aspects of GPS receiver etc.

Good luck:)
    I haven't had any issue with GPS since i got my DHD in December
    What type of tool are you using to open it ? having some difficulties
    If you want to try this fix WITHOUT taking the back off your phone then simply press firmly on the plastic cover, just below the flash LED's.

This will improve the connection between the GPS antenna and the phone. You can even wiggle the cover around very slightly to clean the contact area.

Start GPS status and see if your signal strength bars get taller or more numerous while you are pressing on the back.

If the signal increases while you are pushing on the back, then reduces when you let go, you need to flip the back off and bend those springs out a bit.
    Λυπάμαι ρε καρντάσι. Μα και εσύ να πούμε τι το ήθελες να το ανοίξεις...

In english

I am so sorry listening that, especially when i hear that from someone that he lives in Salonika !!!