[ROM]Samsung S3 Intl Sailfishos

Search This thread

astronfestmon

May 18, 2010
Lisbon
www.gleentech.com
Hi there!

Following the hadk pdf from jolla porting guide.

I've got the sailfishos working on terminal android running. Booting on top attempting since monday tonight.

I'll explain more and I'll give more shots on working.

My issue now is to build the boot, recovery image to flash and boot it. The jolla sailfishos as a GUI operating system on Galaxy S3 I9300 model.

FIY : filename = sfa-i9300-ea-1.0.8.19-my1.tar.bz2
Instructions for chroot co,pilation on ubuntu amd64 x86_64 bit:
Code:
sudo mkdir -p /srv/mer/
mkdir  -p $HOME/mer/

nano .bashrc
export $MER_ROOT=/srv/mer/
export $MER_ROOT=$HOME/mer/
ctrl +x to save and y

but type sudo apt-get install -y curl 
for do the downloading file.

next do the following commands on terminal:

cd $HOME; curl -k -O https://img.merproject.org/images/mer-sdk/mer-i486-latest-sdk-rolling-chroot-armv7hl-sb2.tar.bz2 ;

sudo mkdir -p $MER_ROOT/sdks/sdk ;
cd $MER_ROOT/sdks/sdk ;
sudo tar --numeric-owner -p -xjf $HOME/mer-i486-latest-sdk-rolling-chroot-armv7hl-sb2.tar.bz2 ;
echo "export MER_ROOT=$MER_ROOT" >> ~/.bashrc
echo 'alias sdk=$MER_ROOT/sdks/sdk/mer-sdk-chroot' >> ~/.bashrc ; exec bash ;
echo 'PS1="MerSDK $PS1"' >> ~/.mersdk.profile ;
sdk

Now, do the following instructions:
$HOST>
nano $HOME/.hadk.env
export MER_ROOT="[/home/$user]"
export ANDROID_ROOT="$MER_ROOT/android/droid"
export VENDOR="[samsung]"
export DEVICE="[i9300]"
ctrl +x and y for save it.

nano $HOME/.mersdkubu.profile
function hadk() { source $HOME/.hadk.env${1:+.$1}; echo "Env setup for $DEVICE"; }
export PS1="HABUILD_SDK [\${DEVICE}] $PS1"
hadk

save it again

nano $HOME/.mersdk.profile
function hadk() { source $HOME/.hadk.env${1:+.$1}; echo "Env setup for $DEVICE"; }
hadk

now save this file.

Now in ctrl + alt + x, it will show a terminal:

type this:
sdk
type your password
hadk
TARBALL=ubuntu-quantal-android-rootfs.tar.bz2
curl -O http://img.merproject.org/images/mer-hybris/ubu/$TARBALL
UBUNTU_CHROOT=/parentroot/$MER_ROOT/sdks/ubuntu
sudo mkdir -p $UBUNTU_CHROOT
sudo tar --numeric-owner -xvjf $TARBALL -C $UBUNTU_CHROOT
hadk
ubu-chroot -r /parentroot/$MER_ROOT/sdks/ubuntu
exit
git config --global user.name "Your Name"
git config --global user.email "Your email"
back again for
hadk
cd $HOME
mkdir -p $HOME/mer/android/droid
repo init -u git://github.com/mer-hybris/android.git -b hybris-10.1
repo sync

after this, you will have HABUILD_SDK
DEVICE=i9300
export $DEVICE
source build/envsetup.sh
breakfast $DEVICE
now type

make hybris-hal

But now as a ota file for flashing on i9300, in this last 2 days in my laptop core2Duo Extreme I'm facing overheating.

So, everyone can test it.

Code:
A little change on mount fixups.
Go to the directory hybris/hybris-boot
nano mount-fixups on i9305| encore)
put the "i9305" | "encore" | "i9300")

Script for booting sailfishingos on an android terminal. This script is to mount the binds folders and for fixing for preventing the /dev/null issue when we all boot the chroot sailfishos.
name of the script : sailfishos.sh - made it on the /extsdCard/ folder.

1) nano /extSdCard/sailfishos.sh and copy the following code
2) ctrl +x to save it
3) bash sailfishos.sh
Code:
su
mount -o bind /dev /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/dev
mount -o bind /proc /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/proc
mount -o bind /sys/ /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/sys
chroot /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/ /bin/su -
echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf

Code:
Procedures:

1) get cm 10.1 flash it.
2) recovery mode to flash it. 
3) download my sailfish i9300 tar.bz2 from d-h.st
4) Copy it for your /extSdCard

Code:
Procedures inside adb:

1) sudo adb kill-server
2) sudo adb start-server
3) adb devices
4) adb shell
5) su
6) cd /extSdCard/
8) mkdir -p /data/.stowaways/sailfishos
8) tar --numeric-owner -xvf filename -C /data/.stowaways/sailfishos
9) mount -o bind /dev /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/dev
10) mount -o bind /proc /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/proc
11) mount -o bind /sys /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/sys

finally:
chroot /data/.stawaways/sailfishos/ /bin/su-
you'll see sailfish os version something 15

try this on it:
cd /
ls

[LINK] http://d-h.st/gX5 [/LINK]

See folders on it.

PS: I'll give more shots also more instructions very soon. Thanx.

Another PS: I'll give more news about Jolla sailfish os very soon.
But I need to tell this, I've got i9300 defconfig kernel for Jolla sailfishos very similar to defconfig i9305 kernel and I got it compiled with very success on hadk Ubuntu chroot on mine Ubuntu 14.04 LTS version.

Last edited:

ehrosking

Dec 15, 2013
Hi there!

I've got the sailfishos working on terminal android running. Booting on top attemptinh since yesterday tonight.

Code:
Procedures:

1) get cm 10.1 flash it.

Code:
Procedures inside adb:

1) sudo adb kill-server
2) sudo adb start-server
3) adb devices
4) adb shell
5) su
6) cd /extSdCard/

finally:

try this on it:
cd /
ls

sees folders on it.

Screenshots?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

mrjoy

Aug 24, 2012
The Heaven Of Punjab
Fantastic... I'll give a try. Plz provide some more details, screenshots & new features from your currently running sailfish os. Thanx for sharing

msri3here

Aug 27, 2010
Pune
When I had the rom for flashing in recovery. I'll explain it.

For now, it can be installed through the adb, to work it inside the android terminal.

any update on this?

I followed the above procedure and I can see the Sailfish version and the files list from adb. What next?

EDIT: Just saw your PS in OP :D

Last edited:

redrum781

Jun 17, 2010
In the end of the week probably I'll release the boot kernel working on.

I've successfully built boot and recovery images, packed the zip for flashing in recovery but there is a problem with the boot.img.

I'm trying to find out why it doesn't boot (the phone stays at the galaxy logo)

The actual guide for porting misses some stuff and there are errors here and there. Besides, there is a problem with the trusty chroot, quantal is working.

astronfestmon

May 18, 2010
Lisbon
www.gleentech.com
Aye. I've notice that.

I'm fixing some issues in quantal chroot.
E.g. inside the sources.list I add the 12.04 lts mirrors. Made by a website with the sources.list for 12.04 lts mirrors.

Yeah. I've done the boot kernel image and it made the same as you.

But with meld diff I've compared the i9305 defconfig with mine i9300 defconfig.

I'm going to test it with the changes meld diff made with a comparison with i9305 defconfig.

Now I made a make systemtarball and I'll try a make bootimage or a make factory_image for it.

Last edited:

redrum781

Jun 17, 2010
Aye. I've notice that.

I'm fixing some issues in quantal chroot.
E.g. inside the sources.list I add the 12.04 lts mirrors. Made by a website with the sources.list for 12.04 lts mirrors.

Yeah. I've done the boot kernel image and it made the same as you.

But with meld diff I've compared the i9305 defconfig with mine i9300 defconfig.

I'm going to test it with the changes meld diff made with a comparison with i9305 defconfig.

Now I made a make systemtarball and I'll try a make bootimage or a make factory_image for it.

It would be great if you could make it to boot.
I will try to compile the kernel with CONFIG_CMDLINE="console=tty0" . I'm hoping that would direct kernel panic message to the screen so we could idenfity what the problem is with booting hybris-boot.img

LeJolly

May 29, 2013
So... Any development? :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rusty88

Jul 20, 2014
Aveiro
Hi! All of you! I'm doing efforts between these days. In these vacation days. I'll report more when I got home back.

Hi, I've also been trying to port sailfish os to i9300. I've been successful in creating an image that works, i.e. got it to boot into sailfish but there are some issues that I haven't been able to fix, like for instances, the wlan is detected but fails to establish a connection with any network, GSM is also not working. A full list with details can be found here https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

Maybe we should try to work together to get a fully functional sailfish os image

Cheers

---------- Post added 19th August 2014 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 18th August 2014 at 11:12 PM ----------

I've successfully built boot and recovery images, packed the zip for flashing in recovery but there is a problem with the boot.img.

I'm trying to find out why it doesn't boot (the phone stays at the galaxy logo)

The actual guide for porting misses some stuff and there are errors here and there. Besides, there is a problem with the trusty chroot, quantal is working.

The phone may be stuck at the galaxy logo, but there's a way to debug to find out what's wrong, follow this steps (only tested on linux):
1) connect your phone with the computer, the initramfs in boot.img will create a network interface (phone's ip is: 192.168.2.15) and enable a telnet deamon (default port: 23) and also a udhcp server, so luckily the computer will ask for an ip that everything will be set up automatically. If not try configuring static ip (192.168.2.20 and adding a route to 192.168.2.0)
2) telnet 192.168.2.15
3) when you're in the telnet session, you can check /diagnostic.log (i think) it will show why the boot failed. It is possible to execute commands into the init, by writing to (/init-ctl/stdin)

When logged into the telnet session it will dump a bit of information, be sure to read it as is useful ;).
Also check HADK 9.2 Operating Blind on an Existing Device

PS: the files may contain mistakes as I wrote this post without checking for the correct names (I don't have sailfish flashed at the moment).
Also consider visiting the IRC channel (#sailfishos-porters), if you're not doing it already

Hope it helps :)

Reactions: msri3here

MaxAndroided

Jul 3, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nokia 5
Hi, I've also been trying to port sailfish os to i9300. I've been successful in creating an image that works, i.e. got it to boot into sailfish but there are some issues that I haven't been able to fix, like for instances, the wlan is detected but fails to establish a connection with any network, GSM is also not working. A full list with details can be found here https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

Maybe we should try to work together to get a fully functional sailfish os image

Cheers

---------- Post added 19th August 2014 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 18th August 2014 at 11:12 PM ----------

The phone may be stuck at the galaxy logo, but there's a way to debug to find out what's wrong, follow this steps (only tested on linux):
1) connect your phone with the computer, the initramfs in boot.img will create a network interface (phone's ip is: 192.168.2.15) and enable a telnet deamon (default port: 23) and also a udhcp server, so luckily the computer will ask for an ip that everything will be set up automatically. If not try configuring static ip (192.168.2.20 and adding a route to 192.168.2.0)
2) telnet 192.168.2.15
3) when you're in the telnet session, you can check /diagnostic.log (i think) it will show why the boot failed. It is possible to execute commands into the init, by writing to (/init-ctl/stdin)

When logged into the telnet session it will dump a bit of information, be sure to read it as is useful ;).
Also check HADK 9.2 Operating Blind on an Existing Device

PS: the files may contain mistakes as I wrote this post without checking for the correct names (I don't have sailfish flashed at the moment).
Also consider visiting the IRC channel (#sailfishos-porters), if you're not doing it already

Hope it helps :)
Will this os improve our device? Whats the pro and the con for a change (if it works finaly)?[emoji4]

rusty88

Jul 20, 2014
Aveiro
Will this os improve our device? Whats the pro and the con for a change (if it works finaly)?[emoji4]

well maxAndroided all I can say at the moment is that the OS looks very promising... the UI is very smooth. Is another approach to mobile interaction based on gestures. I'm really loving it, sadly I can used it for day to day activities yet.
The jolla phone at the moment is able to run android apps and hopefully soon that will be available for any image built for android phones. So what that means is that if you don't find a suitable native app for sailfish os, you can always run your favorite android app in sailfish os :)

Anyone that wants to help bring sailfish os to i9300 is welcome to help, so if you have any idea on how to debug and fix the issues let me know :)

PS: if any one would like to try it, take a look at my previous post here

msri3here

Aug 27, 2010
Pune
well maxAndroided all I can say at the moment is that the OS looks very promising... the UI is very smooth. Is another approach to mobile interaction based on gestures. I'm really loving it, sadly I can used it for day to day activities yet.
The jolla phone at the moment is able to run android apps and hopefully soon that will be available for any image built for android phones. So what that means is that if you don't find a suitable native app for sailfish os, you can always run your favorite android app in sailfish os :)

Anyone that wants to help bring sailfish os to i9300 is welcome to help, so if you have any idea on how to debug and fix the issues let me know :)

@rusty88, I am no developer/expert, but is there any way we can try and use I9300 native libraries or binaries to make GSM (or some other functionality for that matter) work? maybe RIL libs/binaries for GSM?

Reactions: rusty88

rusty88

Jul 20, 2014
Aveiro
@rusty88, I am no developer/expert, but is there any way we can try and use I9300 native libraries or binaries to make GSM (or some other functionality for that matter) work? maybe RIL libs/binaries for GSM?

yes @msri3here technically that is what i'm doing, its using RIL lib based on cm10.1.3 that was working fine before I flash sailfish, but on sailfish the log that RIL daemon dumps is really a mess and haven't figure out why is failing. One thing that I've notice is that RILD (one of its child process) creates the socket at /dev/socket/rild but it's killed afterwards, the sockets disappear and the process restarts all over again
Stracing RILD is not helping either as it seems that everything is Ok.

I'm trying to buy a new smartphone for day to day use so I can dedicate more time to debug on my i9300.

tried your rom but stuck on "samsung galaxy s 3 gt-i9300" screen nothing is happening plus if i touch the screen i get a response from the capacitive buttons but thats all

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there!

I've got the sailfishos working on terminal android running. Booting on top attempting since monday tonight.

I'll explain more and I'll give more shots on working.

My issue now is to build the boot, recovery image to flash and boot it. The jolla sailfishos as a GUI operating system on Galaxy S3 I9300 model.

FIY : filename = sfa-i9300-ea-1.0.8.19-my1.tar.bz2
    Instructions for chroot co,pilation on ubuntu amd64 x86_64 bit:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /srv/mer/
    mkdir  -p $HOME/mer/

nano .bashrc
    export $MER_ROOT=$HOME/mer/
    ctrl +x to save and y

but type sudo apt-get install -y curl 
    for do the downloading file.

next do the following commands on terminal:

cd $HOME; curl -k -O https://img.merproject.org/images/mer-sdk/mer-i486-latest-sdk-rolling-chroot-armv7hl-sb2.tar.bz2 ;

sudo mkdir -p $MER_ROOT/sdks/sdk ;
    cd $MER_ROOT/sdks/sdk ;
    sudo tar --numeric-owner -p -xjf $HOME/mer-i486-latest-sdk-rolling-chroot-armv7hl-sb2.tar.bz2 ;
    echo "export MER_ROOT=$MER_ROOT" >> ~/.bashrc
    echo 'alias sdk=$MER_ROOT/sdks/sdk/mer-sdk-chroot' >> ~/.bashrc ; exec bash ;
    echo 'PS1="MerSDK $PS1"' >> ~/.mersdk.profile ;
    sdk

Now, do the following instructions:
    $HOST>
    nano $HOME/.hadk.env
    export MER_ROOT="[/home/$user]"
    export ANDROID_ROOT="$MER_ROOT/android/droid"
    export VENDOR="[samsung]"
    export DEVICE="[i9300]"
    ctrl +x and y for save it.

nano $HOME/.mersdkubu.profile
    export PS1="HABUILD_SDK [\${DEVICE}] $PS1"
    hadk

save it again

nano $HOME/.mersdk.profile
    hadk

now save this file.

Now in ctrl + alt + x, it will show a terminal:

type this:
    sdk
    type your password
    hadk
    TARBALL=ubuntu-quantal-android-rootfs.tar.bz2
    curl -O http://img.merproject.org/images/mer-hybris/ubu/$TARBALL
    UBUNTU_CHROOT=/parentroot/$MER_ROOT/sdks/ubuntu
    sudo mkdir -p $UBUNTU_CHROOT
    sudo tar --numeric-owner -xvjf $TARBALL -C $UBUNTU_CHROOT
    hadk
    ubu-chroot -r /parentroot/$MER_ROOT/sdks/ubuntu
    exit
    git config --global user.name "Your Name"
    git config --global user.email "Your email"
    back again for
    hadk
    cd $HOME
    mkdir -p $HOME/mer/android/droid
    repo init -u git://github.com/mer-hybris/android.git -b hybris-10.1
    repo sync

after this, you will have HABUILD_SDK
    DEVICE=i9300
    export $DEVICE
    source build/envsetup.sh
    breakfast $DEVICE
    now type

make hybris-hal

But now as a ota file for flashing on i9300, in this last 2 days in my laptop core2Duo Extreme I'm facing overheating.

So, everyone can test it.

Code:
    A little change on mount fixups.
    Go to the directory hybris/hybris-boot
    nano mount-fixups on i9305| encore)
    put the "i9305" | "encore" | "i9300")

Script for booting sailfishingos on an android terminal. This script is to mount the binds folders and for fixing for preventing the /dev/null issue when we all boot the chroot sailfishos.
    name of the script : sailfishos.sh - made it on the /extsdCard/ folder.

1) nano /extSdCard/sailfishos.sh and copy the following code
    2) ctrl +x to save it
    3) bash sailfishos.sh
    Code:
    su
    mount -o bind /dev /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/dev
    mount -o bind /proc /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/proc
    mount -o bind /sys/ /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/sys
    chroot /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/ /bin/su -
    echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf

Code:
    Procedures:

1) get cm 10.1 flash it.

Code:
    Procedures inside adb:

1) sudo adb kill-server
    2) sudo adb start-server
    3) adb devices
    4) adb shell
    5) su
    6) cd /extSdCard/

finally:

try this on it:
    cd /
    ls

See folders on it.

PS: I'll give more shots also more instructions very soon. Thanx.

Another PS: I'll give more news about Jolla sailfish os very soon.
    But I need to tell this, I've got i9300 defconfig kernel for Jolla sailfishos very similar to defconfig i9305 kernel and I got it compiled with very success on hadk Ubuntu chroot on mine Ubuntu 14.04 LTS version.
    Hi! All of you! I'm doing efforts between these days. In these vacation days. I'll report more when I got home back.
    Hi there!

I've got the sailfishos working on terminal android running. Booting on top attemptinh since yesterday tonight.

Code:
    Procedures:

1) get cm 10.1 flash it.

Code:
    Procedures inside adb:

1) sudo adb kill-server
    2) sudo adb start-server
    3) adb devices
    4) adb shell
    5) su
    6) cd /extSdCard/

finally:

try this on it:
    cd /
    ls

sees folders on it.

Screenshots?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app
    In the end of the week probably I'll release the boot kernel working on.
    You aren't the only one. u.u

But I guess SailfishOS is not like other ROMs(different than Android OS - maybe it is like Ubuntu OS???) so it needs to replace Android in the core.
    However,I really am an anti talent when it comes to terminals,and I break things even though I installed all drivers and followed the procedure. :>

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda Forum
    Actually there is one "working" sailfish rom from another member(there are some bugs, sim doesn't work etc.) for gt-i9300.
    You had to replace android with sailfish(flash it on top of cyanogenmod), so you are right.
    The best bet will be the ability to dual boot android with sailfish os!(lollipop and sailfish will be awesome :D)

You can give it a try if you want here, but be careful(keep back up etc...).

I hope that this version will be better and has some stuff working! Let's wait and see :good: