Android 4.3 Update Thread with RUU

Search This thread

Rapscallion16

Feb 9, 2012
Chicago

I was passing by on my way from the One X+ Forums, and I recently got confirmation from this wonderful man that my phone would be receiving the 4.2.2 update by the end of the year.. While browsing through his Twitter feed, I came across this tweet from him, which at least confirms that a plan is being worked out to release the same update for you guys. That is the same response he gave about the One X+ not too long ago, but now that has been confirmed, so I would expect a full confirmation soon for the EVO. It looks like you guys haven't been forgotten after all. :highfive:

Update 1: I contacted him directly about it, and got a slightly different and more vague response here. He won't confirm anything, but he says he is "working on it", so take it for what you will. I still believe it will receive the update, although @Fifth313ment is willing to bet $100 that it won't. ;)

Update 2: We've got an official comment from the President of HTC USA here. It's still very vague, but it looks like we'll be hearing about a possible update plan soon.

Update 3: It's official folks! https://twitter.com/JasonMacHTC/status/386284246521769984 And it's a version newer than most were even expecting! I believe @Fifth313ment owes me a healthy chunk of money and an apology to HTC. ;D

Update 4 (11/26/13): It looks like the update is still on track for the end of the year, but a delay is not out of the question. It is in internal lab testing right now though. https://twitter.com/JasonMacHTC/status/405422654338777088

Last edited:
I was passing by on my way from the One X+ Forums, and I recently got confirmation from this wonderful man that my phone would be receiving the 4.2.2 update by the end of the year.. While browsing through his Twitter feed, I came across this tweet from him, which at least confirms that a plan is being worked out to release the same update for you guys. That is the same response he gave about the One X+ not too long ago, but now that has been confirmed, so I would expect a full confirmation soon for the EVO. It looks like you guys haven't been forgotten after all. :highfive:
I'm sorry bro the EVO LTE is not getting another update. They simply don't have the stomachs to tell us. They know this will banish users from HTC so they will not give a confirmation for as long as they can, IF EVER, hoping w simply forget about it. Also in that tweet he said he is working with the "Carriers" on a plan, but Sprint is the only carrier carrying the EVO LTE. So it's simply a canned (no pun intended) response.

Why hasn’t HTC and Sprint fixed the MMS picture bug yet? It’s been a year and a half?! WTF? Every time I send a MMS picture I get angry as I have to add another pic, then another to get a full screen pic you can see that isn’t compressed, then delete the first slide, then retype or paste (what I previously copied) and then send, rinse and repeat! FLUCK YOU HTC! I shouldn’t have to use a third party app to send picture messages or do 50+ things to get a decent picture to send! And the pictures that send when I don’t do anything are unreadable! Blurry to the point where huge text gets garbled! This is pissing me off, as I just had to send one, so this is a rant but I’m still pissed!

+1 on why I will never buy another HTC!
+2 I’ll never forgive them for the year I spent having to turn my screen on and off a million times as my proximity sensor wasn’t working (proximity bug)!

WindyCityRockr, you're a dev, will the newest EVO LTE update kill your and S-OFF app? I want to take the update but not if it kills the option to root and S-OFF. Thanks.

5th

rubber guard

Aug 22, 2010
Austin
On mobile, but I didn't see anything in his time line to indicate the evo LTE is getting 4.2

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

clownfart

Jun 15, 2007
I won't believe anything until it is actually released.

That said, it is still too little too late and I will be moving on from HTC.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

On mobile, but I didn't see anything in his time line to indicate the evo LTE is getting 4.2

He directly answered a question about the Evo LTE and said they were working on it internally and with Sprint. It's vague, but it's something.

Reactions: a22matic

Rapscallion16

Feb 9, 2012
Chicago
I'm sorry bro the EVO LTE is not getting another update. They simply don't have the stomachs to tell us. They know this will banish users from HTC so they will not give a confirmation for as long as they can, IF EVER, hoping w simply forget about it. Also in that tweet he said he is working with the "Carriers" on a plan, but Sprint is the only carrier carrying the EVO LTE. So it's simply a canned (no pun intended) response.

Why hasn’t HTC and Sprint fixed the MMS picture bug yet? It’s been a year and a half?! WTF? Every time I send a MMS picture I get angry as I have to add another pic, then another to get a full screen pic you can see that isn’t compressed, then delete the first slide, then retype or paste (what I previously copied) and then send, rinse and repeat! FLUCK YOU HTC! I shouldn’t have to use a third party app to send picture messages or do 50+ things to get a decent picture to send! And the pictures that send when I don’t do anything are unreadable! Blurry to the point where huge text gets garbled! This is pissing me off, as I just had to send one, so this is a rant but I’m still pissed!

+2 I’ll never forgive them for the year I spent having to turn my screen on and off a million times as my proximity sensor wasn’t working (proximity bug)!

WindyCityRockr, you're a dev, will the newest EVO LTE update kill your and S-OFF app? I want to take the update but not if it kills the option to root and S-OFF. Thanks.

5th

I don't have this phone, so I can't say for sure if the update breaks root or S-OFF. Someone will have to test it first.

I won't believe anything until it is actually released.

That said, it is still too little too late and I will be moving on from HTC.

I understand your guy's frustrations. For the longest time, we over at the HOX+ section didn't believe that we'd get the 4.2.2 update, but we did. And now that 4.2.2 has been confirmed for the HOX and almost confirmed for the EVO, I believe that HTC won't leave you guys behind that quickly. At least not until after the 4.2.2 update. :p

I don't have this phone, so I can't say for sure if the update breaks root or S-OFF. Someone will have to test it first.

I understand your guy's frustrations. For the longest time, we over at the HOX+ section didn't believe that we'd get the 4.2.2 update, but we did. And now that 4.2.2 has been confirmed for the HOX and almost confirmed for the EVO, I believe that HTC won't leave you guys behind that quickly. At least not until after the 4.2.2 update. :p
Did you see my post above? I STILL can't send MMS messages without going through a huge task or another app altogether. HTC doesn't care about their customers sadly. They will leave us in the dust, I'm willing to bet $100 and start a pool if anyone is interested?! LTE still sucks on the phone as does signal strength. I used to get a better signal with my OG EVO and I have a list of other issues. But I'm stuck on my contact and there is not much I can do for now. I can tell you that I will never give HTC another dollar of my money as long as I live! WindyCityRockr keep up the good work bro!

5th

neoshi

Apr 4, 2010
Just because the HOX got the update doesn't mean we will. We're not the same breed. It's like assuming that because we share so much DNA with chimps, we will be able to have chimp babies too. Not happening until it happens, which, in all likelyhood, will be never.

Jason021680

Mar 3, 2012

5th

It locks your bootloader but you still have s off

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
I'm not seeing anything in your link to suggest we'll be getting 4.2.2 or sense 5. Do you have a more direct link you could share to that information?

All I see is a reply from him regarding the Evo LTE saying, "No worries, nothing confirmed yet..."

With the keyword being "nothing".

He didn't mention 4.2.2 or Sense 5, or that we would even be getting anything at all.

Last edited:

Rapscallion16

Feb 9, 2012
Chicago
I'm not seeing anything in your link to suggest we'll be getting 4.2.2 or sense 5. Do you have a more direct link you could share to that information?

The HTC Developer who tweeted the information specifically responded to a question about Sense 5 and 4.2.2 here, stating that they are working with the carrier on a plan for the update. There's some obvious speculation here, but it confirms that there is plan being made to release the update. Whether they go through with that plan is another thing. Many people thought HTC had completely left behind the EVO, but this is proving that work is still being done towards it, however large or small it may be.

Edit: Yes, he did make that clarifying statement afterwards, but he did confirm work at one point in time. Most likely he is waiting on a specific timeline, as his response is similar to many other phones before the update was official.

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
The HTC Developer who tweeted the information specifically responded to a question about Sense 5 and 4.2.2 here, stating that they are working with the carrier on a plan for the update. There's some obvious speculation here, but it confirms that there is plan being made to release the update. Whether they go through with that plan is another thing. Many people thought HTC had completely left behind the EVO, but this is proving that work is still being done towards it, however large or small it may be.

To be honest, it just sounds like normal PR spin. This latest update doesn't exactly inspire confidence in htc's resolve to support the device if their own maintenance upgrades are using a version of android that's over a year old.

We have a handful of people here who, in their free time and without any proprietary information, can get the device working very well on the latest version of android, yet htc is unable to devote enough resource towards it to push out a proper upgrade?

If this was just a stop-gap until a larger one could be pushed out it would be one thing, but, in my opinion, the comments so far do not suggest that's the case. It sounds like he's leaving it open for interpretation in the hope that people will look upon it favorably and spread rumors that are inaccurate.

Rapscallion16

Feb 9, 2012
Chicago
To be honest, it just sounds like normal PR spin. This latest update doesn't exactly inspire confidence in htc's resolve to support the device if their own maintenance upgrades are using a version of android that's over a year old.

We have a handful of people here who, in their free time and without any proprietary information, can get the device working very well on the latest version of android, yet htc is unable to devote enough resource towards it to push out a proper upgrade?

If this was just a stop-gap until a larger one could be pushed out it would be one thing, but, in my opinion, the comments so far do not suggest that's the case. It sounds like he's leaving it open for interpretation in the hope that people will look upon it favorably and spread rumors that are inaccurate.

I completely understand. I'm probably being too optimistic here with my hopes for HTC. They, and most manufacturers, have bad track records when it comes to these kinds of updates, though HTC has improved recently. Improvement unfortunately means already 1 year old software released as a new update, but it is progress towards the ultimate goal of quick Android updates. There is most likely a lot of PR going on here, but he did confirm they are working with the carriers, one of which, I'm again assuming, is Sprint, as they're working with AT&T for updates on similarly older phones, such as the One X and One X+. Yes, they are very different phones, but the One X+ was a mid-cycle phone and has a considerably smaller user base, and they are still releasing 4.2.2, so that gives me some hope for the EVO.

Active_Matrix

Oct 19, 2010
Bethpage, Ny

Edit: Yes, he did make that clarifying statement afterwards, but he did confirm work at one point in time. Most likely he is waiting on a specific timeline, as his response is similar to many other phones before the update was official.

xHausx I tweeted to HTC as well and you are correct, that is the normal PR spin, I got the SAME response. WindyCityRockr, do not forget all of our talented DEVs that will bring us 4.2.2 & 4.3 to our phones. They are keeping it alive!

Rapscallion16

Feb 9, 2012
Chicago
xHausx I tweeted to HTC as well and you are correct, that is the normal PR spin, I got the SAME response. WindyCityRockr, do not forget all of our talented DEVs that will bring us 4.2.2 & 4.3 to our phones. They are keeping it alive!

I am by no means, at all, trying to diminish the work that the Devs have done. They are some of the most important people for maintaining a device and keeping it up to date. I'm just trying to be optimistic about HTC's prospects for the phone. There isn't very much evidence at this point, but they haven't outright denied it, which makes it more of a possibility than most people around here have made it seem.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AndrasLOHF

Jan 7, 2013
I was actually kinda expecting this from them. I got shat on with the Hero and was really not expecting much in the way of constant support from HTC. Especially when all you hear in the news stories is how badly they are doing as a company. I guess it's a good thing I've grown tired of Sense anyways.

Rapscallion16

Feb 9, 2012
Chicago
Update from President of HTC USA in the OP. Again, nothing confirmed, but he did corroborate the developer's original tweet in that they are working on finalizing a plan for the update.

gameaddict8

Jun 2, 2012
Update from President of HTC USA in the OP. Again, nothing confirmed, but he did corroborate the developer's original tweet in that they are working on finalizing a plan for the update.

Would require no plan if they were to drop support entirely. Optimistic since the one x shares the same hardware.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

rubber guard

Aug 22, 2010
Austin
Would require no plan if they were to drop support entirely. Optimistic since the one x shares the same hardware.

IMHO, they are working on it. things could change, but the president of the company doesn't tweet that unless it is getting worked on.

who knows whose hands the update is in right now (htc or sprints) but it is likely that this device moves up in priority now that the One has 4.3.
I can't think of many devices more popular on sprint that are more popular than this other than iphone (os updates go much quicker), HTC one (already up to date), the GS3/4 (not sure where they are)>

Fingers crossed for maybe middle november.

gameaddict8

Jun 2, 2012
IMHO, they are working on it. things could change, but the president of the company doesn't tweet that unless it is getting worked on.

who knows whose hands the update is in right now (htc or sprints) but it is likely that this device moves up in priority now that the One has 4.3.
I can't think of many devices more popular on sprint that are more popular than this other than iphone (os updates go much quicker), HTC one (already up to date), the GS3/4 (not sure where they are)>

Fingers crossed for maybe middle november.

Would be a win to beat out the gs3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread cleaned.

I hereby declare this a troll free zone.

Ba7OBnJIYAAVsMy.png
    I wonder who will put it out first, us or HTC? Not fully working just yet.

Greetings,

I appreciate you guys wanting to keep me on the payroll here by creating a bit of havoc and giving me some work to do, but I assure you it's not necessary.

I've cleaned the thread up a bit and ask insist that you communicate with respect and intelligently, and maybe take another quick gander at the rules (if you wouldn't mind) about flaming etc.

I trust there will be no further outbursts in this thread.

I got an update from Mo that the RUU was pulled because of the roaming data issue (looks like it wasn't intentional after all). Once it's fixed they'll post more info.
    Two questions...

1. Does the Evo 4g LTE have enough RAM to properly run on 4.3 and Sense 5? As it stands now, my phone uses over 700MB without apps running,with only a Gb total. Worried the update will max out the memory usage.

2. Does that MMS issue only pop up on certain phones? Ive never noticed a problem on mine.

I was about to root. Guess I will wait now.
    Sense 5 is actually a little slimmer than our current version of Sense, so RAM shouldn't be an issue.

And definitely, S-OFF now (unless you already took this OTA). With every OTA, the potential exists for a security hole to be patched, making S-OFF less possible.

PSA: Everyone who can should S-OFF. It just makes everything easier.