Search This thread

occip

Feb 3, 2009
Hi,

I managed to start bluetooth on nookie froyo, BT scan is working well(on command line), sometimes it shows devices in the android gui.

The steps : ( use at your own risk and only for comfirmed devs)

Add bluetooth capabilities (HCILL) in kernel
Toggle the WL12XX_RFKILL flag on in evt1a defconfig.
Take the bluetooth firmware (bts file) from gforge.ti ( wl1271 firmware) for froyo pandroid and put it into /system/lib/firmware, alias /lib/firmware to /system/lib/firmware (useful for command line).

boot the kernel
and then
echo 0 >/sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
echo 1 >/sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state

hciattach -s 115200/dev/ttyS1 texas
hcitool scan must show you your BT devices (if discoverable)

Stability is not yet here, Maybe some problems with UART high speed handling ?

This is very positive, it seems that the wl1271 chip is well connected to omap3621...

I will continue to dig ...

Occip

Last edited by a moderator:

jay084

Dec 5, 2010
Forgive my ignorance on the subject but what does this mean? maybe the remote possibility of finally being able to use skype and actually talk with a bluetooth earpiece/headset?

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010
That means, IMHO:

1) The hardware is in fact connected. One less thing wait for the salting crew to find.

2) It is possible bluetooth can now be activated in software, since the devs now know it is not a complete waste of time trying to activate hardware that is present but not live.

3) This guy freakin' rocks!

Homer

Bimboy

Dec 5, 2006
/me breaks out bt gps dongle to charge it, and runs out to his car to see if the bin on his center dashboard can fit a 7" screen. Yep! Just fits.

long2know

Jul 30, 2009
I'm definitely looking forward to being able to use a BT mic + A2DP audio. Now that Clockwork recovery is mostly working, it's going to be great when a 2.2/2.3 custom ROM is out there to just flash and get all this stuff working and easily installed/reproducible.

Reactions: bacheshatonee

Pinesal

Jan 28, 2009
This is wonderful. Now I can connect a wiimote to my nook to play emulators with!

doomstalk

Dec 15, 2010
Is this something that can be added to the stock firmware, or does it require compile options that aren't enabled in B&N's firmware?

starkruzr

Jun 18, 2007
Washington, DC
SCORE!!!!

This means it is only a matter of time until our NCs are fully-enabled tablets. Awesome :)

Anyone know if Android's location services can use Bluetooth GPS as a "native" location device?

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
I have a hunch that B&N may officially add this in the 2.2 update to make it either look better in a marketing sense (why they would have it off I do not know except... * ) or to go with some fancy accessory.

*They might have it off due to a radio licencing fee they would have to pay or something... No firm data on this IMO just an observation.

willywayne

Jan 16, 2010
SCORE!!!!

This means it is only a matter of time until our NCs are fully-enabled tablets. Awesome :)

Anyone know if Android's location services can use Bluetooth GPS as a "native" location device?

You might be able to tether your android phone's GPS to your NC using Bluetooth with an app in the market called BlueNMEA and an app called Bluetooth GPS in the market. Bluetooth GPS allows your android device to use an external Bluetooth NMEA compatible GPS with apps that require a GPS, like Google Maps. So if you put BlueNMEA on your phone and turned your phone into the antenna and then put Bluetooth GPS on your phone to receive the signal, it might work.

doomstalk

Dec 15, 2010
I have a hunch that B&N may officially add this in the 2.2 update to make it either look better in a marketing sense (why they would have it off I do not know except... * ) or to go with some fancy accessory.

*They might have it off due to a radio licencing fee they would have to pay or something... No firm data on this IMO just an observation.

They probably left it off because, right now, the Nook Color is not open to 3rd-party software. There's nothing available (officially) that can use it, so there's no reason to spend development resources getting it running.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I managed to start bluetooth on nookie froyo, BT scan is working well(on command line), sometimes it shows devices in the android gui.

The steps : ( use at your own risk and only for comfirmed devs)

Add bluetooth capabilities (HCILL) in kernel
    Toggle the WL12XX_RFKILL flag on in evt1a defconfig.
    Take the bluetooth firmware (bts file) from gforge.ti ( wl1271 firmware) for froyo pandroid and put it into /system/lib/firmware, alias /lib/firmware to /system/lib/firmware (useful for command line).

boot the kernel
    and then
    echo 0 >/sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state
    echo 1 >/sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state

hciattach -s 115200/dev/ttyS1 texas
    hcitool scan must show you your BT devices (if discoverable)

Stability is not yet here, Maybe some problems with UART high speed handling ?

This is very positive, it seems that the wl1271 chip is well connected to omap3621...

I will continue to dig ...

Occip
    Some news

Hi
    Porting kernel 2.6.32 is so loong.
    Working:
    I2C ( battery gauge + accel)
    Touchscreen
    Button
    MMC

Not working:
    audio
    dsp
    3D
    Wifi
    and bluetooth :(

PS: For FM, antenna must be connected and pcm routed to audio chip. so it will be difficult to get it working...

Stay tuned

Occip
    not yet fully working

Thanks, Yes that's great.

If you think about buying NC for the bluetooth, please wait for full working bluetooth.
    I cannot guarantee a success.
    For BT audio, WL1271 can ouput directly in PCM to sound chip . I don't know if this part is well connected, otherwise over HCI it could be OK...

I continue to dig ...
    Occip
    Hey all any news on this?

Pavlos

I'm working on kernel porting, I will have some news tomorrow.
    My first step is to enable bluetooth in command line and test few bluetooth firmware , as the kernel will not handle wifi,video, touchscreen , audio ,3d and dsp at the beginning.
    If bluetooth is ok i will continue to port recent kernel for the NC by adding features by priority order:
    video
    touchscreen
    wifi
    audio
    3d
    dsp

stay tuned

Occip
    @occip, please setup donation for your efforts. The other poster who offered to team up could work with you and divvy the total as you see fit.

There are too many people asking for this or that and should donate if they want time spent on it.

Suggestions to other interested parties: donate $10 now to kickstart/show appreciation, $20-50 when it's working, $20-50 for occip/team to work on something you specifically desire like volume adjustment, IPtables, etc. I'd confirm with occip that they're even interested in looking into this via a PM and time required/reasonable donation.

BT with GPS, HID, audio, mic capabilities would blow the doors off of this modest 'reader'. Money talks, B$ walks

I'm in for $10 as soon as occip has a donate button :D

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with occip or anyone working on this, just a keen interest in the NC.

FWIW, those of us working on the CM7 port have already put in crazy hours working on various parts. It is not lack of motivation keeping us from doing the work.