[Module] F-Droid Privileged Extension

Search This thread

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
WA4LBkF.png
I decided to continue @PunchyStick's Magisk module and keep it updated as F-Droid releases updates. You can generally expect updates the day after if not the day of F-Droid updating the extension.

What to know:
-Please make sure you're running at least F-Droid 0.103
-Disable auto app updates from within F-Droid. F-Droid Privileged Extension will automatically update and succeed, and I don't know how this will affect SafetyNet and/or the Magisk Module. (This is because the extension doesn't update like a normal app by placing updates in the data partition, it overwrites the apk in system directly).

Changelog:
v1
- Private release
- Privileged Extension 0.1
- Based directly on PunchyStick's extension

v2
- Private release
- Privileged Extension 0.2

v3
- Private release
- Privileged Extension 0.2.2

v4
- First public release
- Privileged Extension 0.2.3

v5
-If you installed the zip on the XDA thread, please remove that module before installing this version.
-Privileged Extension 0.2.4

v6
-Privileged Extension 0.2.5
-Please update F-Droid to version 0.103 if you have not already.

v7
-Updated to template 4

v8
-Update to template 1400
-Please update to Magisk 14.0 if you have not already

v9
-Privileged Extension 0.2.6

v10
-Privileged Extension 0.2.7
-Template 1410
-Only install this if you are on Magisk 14.1, a zip for Magisk 14.0 can be found attached.

Attachments

• Fdroid-Priv+9-27-2017-14.zip
    35.1 KB · Views: 9,911
Last edited:

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
I removed the module zip from this thread as it is obsolete and my module is in the Magisk Module Repo now (and thus can be installed via Magisk). Also, as per the changelog, if you installed the zip on this thread please uninstall that module before upgrading to v5.

Last edited:

Didgeridoohan

Retired Senior Moderator
May 31, 2012
Gone
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this module is not using the latest module template. Yes, it has the "template" tag in module.prop, but everything else seems old, very old. As an example: There's still tags for cache modules (removed in Magisk v9) in config.sh and the update-binary file used seems to be of a similar age...

Reactions: duttyend

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this module is not using the latest module template. Yes, it has the "template" tag in module.prop, but everything else seems old, very old. As an example: There's still tags for cache modules (removed in Magisk v9) in config.sh and the update-binary file used seems to be of a similar age...

I will look into that, but I synced this straight from the Magisk Template repo then rebuilt from there so the legacy code should be gone. I use multiple devices so I might have accidentally fudged something up. Also, do note that this repo is the one I will be updating now that it has been accepted into the Magisk module's repo, and on that one I think I fixed my little screwup.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

Last edited:

Didgeridoohan

Retired Senior Moderator
May 31, 2012
Gone
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I will look into that, but I synced this straight from the Magisk Template repo then rebuilt from there so the legacy code should be gone. I use multiple devices so I might have accidentally fudged something up. Also, do note that this repo is the one I will be updating now that it has been accepted into the Magisk module's repo, and on that one I think I fixed my little screwup.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

Nice. That's the repo I was looking at, yes, and after a (very) quick look it does look like it's been fixed.

demonoidmaster

Nov 19, 2015
Uhmm.. excuse me if this sounds like a dumb question, but what is F-Droid? And what does it do?

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Nevermind. I was smart and looked it up. Looks interesting though.
Alternate app store for stuff, you add repositories to it to have more apps listed, also it can update your currently installed apps from there too if you decide to manually update apps

ondrejvaroscak

Jan 21, 2015
Aachen
Bootloop on Sony Xperia X Compat Nougat 7.0

Fresh, fully working Magisk v. 12.0 with Magisk Manager 4.3.3, F-Droid v.103, after installinf F-Droid Privileged Extension Magisk Module, ended in bootloop. Disabling module through recovery causes device to boot, but SystemUI.apk crashes, removing module through recovery (empty remove file in module directory) causes the same.. Uninstalling Magisk using Magisk Uninstall doesn't help either, had to flash my system new....

Last edited:

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
Fresh, fully working Magisk v. 12.0 with Magisk Manager 4.3.3, F-Droid v.103, after installinf F-Droid Privileged Extension Magisk Module, ended in bootloop. Disabling module through recovery causes device to boot, but SystemUI.apk crashes, removing module through recovery (empty remove file in module directory) causes the same.. Uninstalling Magisk using Magisk Uninstall doesn't help either, had to flash my system new....

Odd, I will have to look into that. All the module does is place the privileged extension in the privileged app directory, so if you do not mind, can you make a backup of system and then use Terminal Emulator App Systemizer and place an app in /system/priv-app? Also, is it possible you managed to collect the logs from Magisk?

ondrejvaroscak

Jan 21, 2015
Aachen
Odd, I will have to look into that. All the module does is place the privileged extension in the privileged app directory, so if you do not mind, can you make a backup of system and then use Terminal Emulator App Systemizer and place an app in /system/priv-app? Also, is it possible you managed to collect the logs from Magisk?

Hm, may there be a glitch that I am using Magisk to have my system partition intact, so writing anything to /system/priv-app is actually not what I wanted? Also, puting a backup of system partition did not help, SystemUI crashed still. Only wiping /data helped...

I am afraid that collecting logs may not be possible, since I can't get into system after crash anymore... unless I can somehow acccess the Magisk logs from recovery...

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
Hm, may there be a glitch that I am using Magisk to have my system partition intact, so writing anything to /system/priv-app is actually not what I wanted? Also, puting a backup of system partition did not help, SystemUI crashed still. Only wiping /data helped...

I am afraid that collecting logs may not be possible, since I can't get into system after crash anymore... unless I can somehow acccess the Magisk logs from recovery...

It does not actually place the app in /system/priv-app, it just uses Magisk to spoof it there like any other magisk module does. So it is as if the app is actually there, but your system partition remains untouched.

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
I thought so, becuase otherwise it would not make any sense :)

The reason I asked you to use that module to place an app in /system/priv-app is that some devices [when running stock] do not like things being placed in that directory, and with Magisk it is just as if that app is actually in that directory even though it really isn't so the device will react just how it would if you actually placed it on the system partition for real. Some devices can just have really odd glitches too, for example I have an LG-K330 from a friend, and some Magisk modules that work just fine on my other devices cause it to lose its IMEI (it is not actually gone, but the OS does not see that there is one and it will refuse to connect to a mobile network), and it causes really odd battery issues too.

Reactions: nodio

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WA4LBkF.png
    I decided to continue @PunchyStick's Magisk module and keep it updated as F-Droid releases updates. You can generally expect updates the day after if not the day of F-Droid updating the extension.

What to know:
    -Please make sure you're running at least F-Droid 0.103
    -Disable auto app updates from within F-Droid. F-Droid Privileged Extension will automatically update and succeed, and I don't know how this will affect SafetyNet and/or the Magisk Module. (This is because the extension doesn't update like a normal app by placing updates in the data partition, it overwrites the apk in system directly).

Changelog:
    v1
    - Private release
    - Privileged Extension 0.1
    - Based directly on PunchyStick's extension

v2
    - Private release
    - Privileged Extension 0.2

v3
    - Private release
    - Privileged Extension 0.2.2

v4
    - First public release
    - Privileged Extension 0.2.3

v5
    -If you installed the zip on the XDA thread, please remove that module before installing this version.
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.4

v6
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.5
    -Please update F-Droid to version 0.103 if you have not already.

v7
    -Updated to template 4

v8
    -Update to template 1400
    -Please update to Magisk 14.0 if you have not already

v9
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.6

v10
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.7
    -Template 1410
    -Only install this if you are on Magisk 14.1, a zip for Magisk 14.0 can be found attached.
    I removed the module zip from this thread as it is obsolete and my module is in the Magisk Module Repo now (and thus can be installed via Magisk). Also, as per the changelog, if you installed the zip on this thread please uninstall that module before upgrading to v5.
    There is a fork with constant updates for the folks looking for an updated module: daemonspudguy/Fdroid-Classic-Priv: Fdroid-Priv (github.com) Latest commit was last month.

Works a treat for me :)