Help: Wipe+Root

Search This thread

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
Hi all.

How can I wipe my Nexus 5 so it is a plain Kit Kat 4.4.2 (like the day I received it) and just root it? it's currently in 4.4.2 and rooted, but with a lot of stuf in it too. My main concern is how to wipe once it's rooted, and how to reroot.

For those who like to read, a little more info:

I have a Nexus 5 which received 2 days ago. I come from an iPhone 5S, so... pretty newbie...

I unlocked the bootloader and rooted the device after unboxing, and have been using it since. Problems are:
1. I just found out about CWM and its capabilities, and I intend to use the backups a lot.
2. I kind of ****ed up with a couple of apps I regret installing.
3. After a backup I just did today, it asked to whether or not fix the recovery (or something like that). Selected YES, nothing happened. It then asked to fix the root... said YES and screwed it completely. I had to put SuperSu in the phone as a ZIP and manually install it again to recover my root access. It kind of looks "dirty" now, lol.

Anyways, I'd like to make a whole device backup from CWM with Kit Kat out of the box, no extra apps installed. Just rooted. Then install all my stuff, sync contacts and so on, and make another backup.

That's why I want to erase the device and have it all clean (just rooted).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: varuntis1993

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Mmm. OK. And why? (Just curious at this point)

Because the 2nd method furnishes you with knowledge and experience to help you understand and learn things that cf auto root "automates" for you. Using our recommended method, you will have a head start in knowing how to do things you may need to do to recover your device from various scenarios.

...for example, had you used that method last time - applying logic and knowledge, you may not have created this thread ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rwed and Chromium

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
We're just offering you the benefit of our collective experience. Some of us have been doing this for years so please understand - we're not giving you grief. We have your best interests in mind :)

Oh please, I know. I was just hiding my ignorance under the iOS carpet. :p
Will give a read to both links tomorrow. Will definitely do link1 on friday if I find the time, and will then consider either doing link2 or going the CF-Auto-Root way.

I'll let you know how this all ends.

Again, thanks!

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
Update:

Followed steps in link1. Everything went fine.
Gave a deep read to link2. Found it understandable and easy to do and follow, but decided to go the CF-Auto-Root way just because I had done it before and worked nicely...

Everything OK. Something weird happened -again- though. After the clean restore and root, I installed CWM and proceeded to make a backup of the plain system. After it, it asked to fix root again. I had previously said YES, which lead to a broken root, so I said NO this time. Same thing happened!! I lost root and had to manually install SuperSu 1.93 from ZIP in CWM... Why does this happen?

Anyways, I have another question. If one day I decide to restore from this backup I just made, will it be exactly as doing a complete restore following link1?

Thanks!

Because the 2nd method furnishes you with knowledge and experience to help you understand and learn things that cf auto root "automates" for you. Using our recommended method, you will have a head start in knowing how to do things you may need to do to recover your device from various scenarios.

...for example, had you used that method last time - applying logic and knowledge, you may not have created this thread ;)

Last edited:

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Update:

Followed steps in link1. Everything went fine.
Gave a deep read to link2. Found it understandable and easy to do and follow, but decided to go the CF-Auto-Root way just because I had done it before and worked nicely...

Everything OK. Something weird happened -again- though. After the clean restore and root, I installed CWM and proceeded to make a backup of the plain system. After it, it asked to fix root again. I had previously said YES, which lead to a broken root, so I said NO this time. Same thing happened!! I lost root and had to manually install SuperSu 1.93 from ZIP in CWM... Why does this happen?

Anyways, I have another question. If one day I decide to restore from this backup I just made, will it be exactly as doing a complete restore following link1?

Thanks!

Flash this in cwm http://d-h.st/YpG. It'll put twrp on

Reactions: rwed

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
Oh damn it... Really? OK, a couple of quick questions:

1. Did reinstalling SuperSu leave junk in the file system?
2. Will flashing TWRP leave anything either?

My OCD would probably make me restore again if the answer to any of those questions is yes. :(

Stop using cwm... use twrp or philz which can turn the nag off.

Flash this in cwm http://d-h.st/YpG. It'll put twrp on

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Oh damn it... Really? OK, a couple of quick questions:

1. Did reinstalling SuperSu leave junk in the file system?
2. Will flashing TWRP leave anything either?

My OCD would probably make me restore again if the answer to any of those questions is yes. :(

No to both your questions.

Reactions: rwed

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mmm. OK. And why? (Just curious at this point)

We're just offering you the benefit of our collective experience. Some of us have been doing this for years so please understand - we're not giving you grief. We have your best interests in mind :)

Hi all.

How can I wipe my Nexus 5 so it is a plain Kit Kat 4.4.2 (like the day I received it) and just root it? it's currently in 4.4.2 and rooted, but with a lot of stuf in it too. My main concern is how to wipe once it's rooted, and how to reroot.

For those who like to read, a little more info:

I have a Nexus 5 which received 2 days ago. I come from an iPhone 5S, so... pretty newbie...

I unlocked the bootloader and rooted the device after unboxing, and have been using it since. Problems are:
    1. I just found out about CWM and its capabilities, and I intend to use the backups a lot.
    2. I kind of ****ed up with a couple of apps I regret installing.
    3. After a backup I just did today, it asked to whether or not fix the recovery (or something like that). Selected YES, nothing happened. It then asked to fix the root... said YES and screwed it completely. I had to put SuperSu in the phone as a ZIP and manually install it again to recover my root access. It kind of looks "dirty" now, lol.

Anyways, I'd like to make a whole device backup from CWM with Kit Kat out of the box, no extra apps installed. Just rooted. Then install all my stuff, sync contacts and so on, and make another backup.

That's why I want to erase the device and have it all clean (just rooted).

Thanks!
    Stop using cwm... use twrp or philz which can turn the nag off.