[28-06-10][App] Flix Cinema listings for UK, FR, DE, ES, IT, US/Canada, Australia

Search This thread

Steve James

Jan 11, 2008
Great application!!

Just a few UI suggestions:

1) When viewing the Film Times for a particular cinema, would it be possible to add the running time for films below each film title?

2) Would it be possible to tap the film title to activate the film synopsis view?

3) Would it be possible to add the film release date (so I can judge how busy the cinema will be!)

4) Finally..., would it be possible to add the Critic and User rating to the synopsis view i.e. Critics: 3 stars (1 review), Users: 4 stars (35 review)

Keep up the excellent work!

Jiggs1337

Aug 13, 2008
I would also like to suggest the ability to tap into the film synopsis when viewing cinema times. And vice versa when viewing a movie and all its running times, being able to tap into a cinema.
If that makes sense

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
Hi all,
I've been away for a couple of days... to answer some questions:

Tiffy18 - I have no idea how Flix would have made Google Maps hebrew. When you click the map button, Flix simply starts Google Maps, passing the address of the cinema as a parameter. I don't think it's possible it could have changed how GM works.

Efjay - Flix doesn't NEED Google Maps. The only reason it's mentioned is because clicking an icon in Flix will show you the cinema location, using the Google Maps software you install on the phone (not the internet site). So I don't know if Bing do a similar app, if they do I could add support for it. Or simply call the URL to go to the map site using the default browser...

jphccfc- I'll check this out

Steve/Jiggs - the next version should be implementing a few UI changes to make it nicer to use. Some of these will be along the lines of what you've mentioned, so look out for an update at some point!

flyinonice4

Nov 24, 2008
I love this app, but it takes forever to load up the times for theatres. I am only pulling one theatre (I have disabled all the rest in my area) and it takes well over 3 minutes to pull up the movies and times. I will continue to use the program, but is there anyway to speed it up?

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
Not sure what's going on with Canada. I'm sure it worked at one point when I was testing, but I also find the Yahoo site isn't showing much now... (if anything)

Will see what I can work out.

flyinonice4- the downloads *do* take a while, yes. Mainly it's because of the amount of stuff it downloads, but remember that Flix downloads up to a weeks worth of listings, so you don't need to do the download every time you run it.

You can also schedule downloads using one of the free PPC task schedulers out there (links in the first post) so that it can auto-update once a week when you're asleep, that way you never have to sit through it! Simply start Flix with an argument of "update" and it will start up, download, then quit.

themac

Aug 16, 2008
Hi, the program, and the idea, are great !

However it has an error (i think a Index Out of Bound Exception) when retrieving cinemas and films from my zone (Bari, Italy).

Could you test it ?

Can i be of help to you ?

Thank you in advance and keep up this GOOD work ! :)

TheMac

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
Sure, I can look into this.

Did you just enter Bari as the location? Yahoo doesn't show anything for this...: http://it.movies.yahoo.com/cinemas/?sp=sel&zip=Bari

Weirdly, the error there is English. Flix will check for that message in Italian, so it will then try and download listings where there are none, and you will get the error. So, I can stop the error occurring by checking for the English phrase also, but you still need to find what to put in to Yahoo for your area to get some info :)

***EDIT***
OK, now I DO get info for your location in Yahoo?! Weird, and I can see the bug that causes the error now, so I should be able to fix it...

Last edited:

flyinonice4

Nov 24, 2008
This may seem this a weird idea, but is there any plans on encorporating getting movie times for specific theatres or change the distance of which to search for movie theatres? In my area we have a main movie theatre and then a theatre about 30 or so minutes away that shows indie films. If I put in my area code I get the main theatre but not the indie theatre. If I put in the indie movie theatre's zip then I get it but not my main movie theatre. Id like to get times for both if possible.

crazy talk

Jun 17, 2009
application works well. but what a PITA to scroll through movies or theatres.

uninstalled it because i think i could have got the information faster with smoke signals.

if you need ideas for the interface look at the "I.TV" application for the IPhone.

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
This may seem this a weird idea, but is there any plans on encorporating getting movie times for specific theatres or change the distance of which to search for movie theatres? In my area we have a main movie theatre and then a theatre about 30 or so minutes away that shows indie films. If I put in my area code I get the main theatre but not the indie theatre. If I put in the indie movie theatre's zip then I get it but not my main movie theatre. Id like to get times for both if possible.

You can already do this.
In configuration, simply enter both locations separated by a semicolon, i.e.

location1;indielocation

Flix will then download for both locations. You can then ignore any cinemas you don't want included in future updates then.

Hope that helps :)

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
application works well. but what a PITA to scroll through movies or theatres.

uninstalled it because i think i could have got the information faster with smoke signals.

if you need ideas for the interface look at the "I.TV" application for the IPhone.

Yes, this is one of the main downsides. The next version which I hope to release this week sometime includes a "scroller" to list the movies, so you can quickly find the one you want. I'll put in the same for theaters too.

Thanks for trying the app, and look out for the next version!

flyinonice4

Nov 24, 2008
You can already do this.
In configuration, simply enter both locations separated by a semicolon, i.e.

location1;indielocation

Flix will then download for both locations. You can then ignore any cinemas you don't want included in future updates then.

Hope that helps :)

I tried that, but it only ends up listing the theatres around the indie location. I cant get it to list both :(

jmbillings

Mar 23, 2009
Ely
I tried that, but it only ends up listing the theatres around the indie location. I cant get it to list both :(

Sorry to hear that's not working - it certainly does for me as one cinema I go to regularly doesn't show up for my postal code.

Could you let me know the location and country you entered, and the cinemas you are looking for so I can debug it here? You can pm me if you prefer.