[ANDROID] Android on the TouchPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

SamWhite

Aug 21, 2009
London
I'd donate some towards an android port.

Anyone got links to anywhere that's selling for the $100 price in the EU/UK?

8ternity

Jul 29, 2011
Montreal
I just got one here in Canada, Montreal for 99$ canadian. Special start yesturday at TheSource.ca in stores; and staples.ca 99$ too in special this morning.

Futureshop has announce it 99$ too this morning.

Hope that we can install Android 3.2 on this tablet.

hetzbh

Dec 26, 2010
benhamo.org
regarding porting Android

Actually, porting Android to the Touchpad should be way easier than many people think..

Since WebOS is based on Linux kernel, you're solving a huge problem of drivers. The drivers are kernel modules and are available right there on the TouchPad and I belive that HP released (or will release) the kernel source code (they need to, it's GPL).

So the drivers are issue is basically solved, now the next parts ;)

EDIT: Well, you don't have to look for the source code for the kernel and other Linux packages, it's right here

LOL: The kernel is Built for Android! take a look at their Linux kernel patches :)

Last edited:

bp_

Jun 10, 2011
NYC
man, can't find one of these for $99 anywhere right now. I want in so I can get Android on this thing if it is released.

CrimsoniteX

Jul 1, 2008
Was able to purchase mine via walmart.com and site-to-store, looking forward to playing around with this thing. Looking even more forward to the possibility of Android. Will donate as well.

CrimsoniteX

Jul 1, 2008
Don't know how long it will last, but microcenter.com still has both models at the discounted price. I just ordered a third from there. I would direct link to it but my posts are a wee-bit too low for that.

voyager_s

Jan 3, 2011
Huawei P30
Xiaomi Poco F3
Shame its discontinued...webos looks like a great platform.

If I didn't have an android, I would definitely have picked up a pre already.

I'm gonna pick up a touchpad in next few days. Prices gone way down. A real bargain. Can't wait already!

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

R

rasputyn

Lucky fellas in the USA... I hope that deal will work for European countries, too. Or at least that some of mentioned on-line sellers will ship outside states. :(

Piero914

Oct 2, 2010
This has me VERY excited...i ordered two 32 gig models for me and my girl. I would gladly donate 50 to the cause.

Negi84

Jun 21, 2010
where can i buy the touchpad

futureshop : sold out
best buy : sold out
staples : sold out
the source : sold out
hp online shop : 149$ but if i press "buy now form hp" it say´s 499$

dooboo73

Mar 10, 2008
Port or no port of Android OS, I am looking for just emulator to use android apps on this puppy.
Since the announcement, this now has pretty good # of followers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I've already seen the sort of "free-for-all" comments, can someone tell me why any missing drivers/files from the published touchpad android dump can't be used? Are there legal reasons or technical?

The dump used a kernel that we do not have. CM are not the types to smack together a bunch of binary blobs. We want to build as much from source as possible. This gives us a much better chance of a smooth transition to Ice Cream Sandwich when Google releases the source.

Another way to look: With binary blobs there is a ceiling that limits how well we can get the Touchpad to work with future versions of Android. A bunch of binary blobs from a Froyo dump will almost certainly not work with Ice Cream Sandwich much less Gingerbread.

Putting in the time and work now will improve the Touchpad's Android support for the future.
    [Discussion] CM7 Port on Touchpad

This is simply a stub to direct you to the discussion at Rootzwiki:
    http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=4011

Majority of my updates will come from twitter @dalingrin or Rootzwiki.

No ETAs!
    SkzBR said:
    Hello buddies,

We all know that ETAs doesnt exists, but what we need to do to get it faster? Maybe if developers make a list of what testings steps...?

What i'm trying to say, is that we need help developers and tries to make it release FASTER helping, and not just blaming the foruns...

So, i'm waiting for a dev reply with instructions.

People like you not making posts like this would help for a start :)

We don't work for you guys, get that straight.
    OK guys, because we really want this to be an open and community effort with full transparency, we are going to be posting our development work over at RootzWiki in addition to here and on our website/wiki. Once we get a stable kernel and port set up, we are probably going to release this as open source and allow people to make ROMs based off of this work.

Nothing is finalized yet, but anyways: tl;dr Development is going to happen at Rootzwiki and on IRC, updates are going to be everywhere (including here), and we are going to have fun doing it.
    Here's a short video of my progress on dual-booting Android and WebOS.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8qEogR9xC4

NOTE: I haven't successfully gotten Android to run yet.