[Q] Flash player kinda sucks ? Hell yeah!

Search This thread

alinescoo

Mar 12, 2008
All this hype around Android made me buy a SGS. Having flash on the browser was one big reason for acquisition. Soon I discovered that flash isn't what is promised, a desktop experience on my mobile device. I say this because most of the time (like 95%) the flash works so bad in my browser, that is barely usable. When trying to watch streams, mostly on news sites I get a message with "The video is not optimized for mobile" and the playback is choppy, sometimes when seeking, takes 10-15 seconds until the choppy playback starts again. If I try to watch something in low quality it works fine, but most of the sites offer good quality video. I expect more from a 1Ghz cpu...
Is this a problem of my device or is it general ? I have the latest Adobe Flash available on the market.

Last edited:

rschenck

Feb 8, 2011
What firmware and kernel are you using?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

ukdtweak

Aug 9, 2010
Ballyhalbert
Do some research... if you are using the Default browser, open it and in the address bar type:

about:debug

and hit go...

Now go into your browser settings and at the bottom there should be an option to set the UA String, select Desktop....

Downside:
some sites will still see your device as mobile.
you have to re do the fix Every time you load the browser...

Alternative:
try Dolphin HD broswer, it has a US string setting in the options already and only needs set once.

Downside:
Is a little slower to load pages than the default browser.
some sites will still see your device as mobile.

An another point, if you are using 3g... don't expect miracles!

azuresystem

Aug 31, 2010
sadly he's right ;( its not even working properly over wifi so i cant really say the net is the problem.

id say the problem lies in flash itself and/or its something in the memory management since ive seen stock roms delivering way better flashperformance than any custom so far, so possibility is that the stream freezes and has to rebuffer every time the memmngt cuts the memory, else you could just try to flash ubuntu and see if it works any magic ;P what do it know for all its worth it could be tha b0mb :D

good luck anyways !

Toss3

May 13, 2008
Stockholm
All this hype around Android made me buy a SGS. Having flash on the browser was one big reason for acquisition. Soon I discovered that flash isn't what is promised, a desktop experience on my mobile device. I say this because most of the time (like 95%) the flash works so bad in my browser, that is barely usable. When trying to watch streams, mostly on news sites I get a message with "The video is not optimized for mobile" and the playback is choppy, sometimes when seeking, takes 10-15 seconds until the choppy playback starts again. If I try to watch something in low quality it works fine, but most of the sites offer good quality video. I expect more from a 1Ghz cpu...
Is this a problem of my device or is it general ? I have the latest Adobe Flash available on the market.

Solution: Flash a custom JVK Gingerbread rom and DO NOT install the flash player from the market, but use the one that comes preinstalled! This way you'll have 720p flash videos playing smoothly.

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
No problem with my SGS but i dont use flash that often so it could be as said some sites .
Use Dolphin HD browser mostly .

The video is not optimized for mobile" >> could that be the clue ???

jje

alinescoo

Mar 12, 2008
I have stock JS4 ROM, sorry forgot to mention this in the main thread. Also I am using flash only via Wifi. Actually I am using Opera Mobile and I've set the UA to Firefox Desktop one. Gonna try the idea with stock browser, maybe Opera has messed up something.