Phone not detected by windows 7 help!

Search This thread

kshah1606

Jan 4, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. I've got a Samsung i777 on android 2.3.6 kernel 2.6.35.7 build number gingerbread.uckk6
I've recently bought this phone off ebay
My phone does not get detected by windows 7 or Macbook. I've tried changing the USB flex cable with I9100 v2.3 but still no luck.
When I connect USB port it beeps and shows mtp-initialization/mtp-connected on the phone but it is not shown on windows. It says USB cannot recognise the device. I've got a s3 and ideos x3 both of them are detected.
I've installed kies 3 on my laptop.
I had to swtich off the wifi on the phone because it consumes a lot of battery, I think it is because of the android version I'm using!
I want to root the phone and unlock it!!
Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

sharonbw

Sep 17, 2012
I'm guessing the problem is the Samsung drivers you have installed for the s3. Try uninstalling those and installing the correct drivers for s2.

Sent from my GT-p511x

kshah1606

Jan 4, 2014
Thank you guys for all your help really appreciate it!
I have tried all the steps mentioned above tried to uninstall all the previous drivers I had and installed the new driver as mentioned in the above link but no luck :confused:
I tried it on a friends computer with a different cable still it shows the USB device is not recognised!! :(

Dec 17, 2013
Oklahoma City
Thank you guys for all your help really appreciate it!
I have tried all the steps mentioned above tried to uninstall all the previous drivers I had and installed the new driver as mentioned in the above link but no luck :confused:
I tried it on a friends computer with a different cable still it shows the USB device is not recognised!! :(
Did you install another ROM? It might help to Wipe system, Data, ETC! it appears to be a software problem. Or at least my guess is the ROM your using.

jpasher

Jan 2, 2014
The Galaxy phones all use the same USB drivers whether it's an S2, S3, S4, etc., so if the installed drivers were working for your S3, it's unlikely to be a driver issue.

Can you boot it into download mode? If you happen to have a USB jig, that's the easiest. Otherwise, power off the phone, unplug the USB cable, hold Vol +/Vol-, then plug in the USB cable. It should go into ODIN download mode. See if Windows detects the phone that way. If so, it very well could be something weird with the OS installed (although it appears to be stock).

If you can get into download mode, you can flash a stock kernel to make sure you are starting fresh. A good file repository is found here. I recommend the stock UCKH7 image I777_UCKH7_OCD_No_BL.7z (you'll also get root).

And yes, the UCKK6 release had a serious bug related to the wifi that could drain your battery. Best to go with UCKH7.

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

kshah1606

Jan 4, 2014
The Galaxy phones all use the same USB drivers whether it's an S2, S3, S4, etc., so if the installed drivers were working for your S3, it's unlikely to be a driver issue.

Can you boot it into download mode? If you happen to have a USB jig, that's the easiest. Otherwise, power off the phone, unplug the USB cable, hold Vol +/Vol-, then plug in the USB cable. It should go into ODIN download mode. See if Windows detects the phone that way. If so, it very well could be something weird with the OS installed (although it appears to be stock).

If you can get into download mode, you can flash a stock kernel to make sure you are starting fresh. A good file repository is found here. I recommend the stock UCKH7 image I777_UCKH7_OCD_No_BL.7z (you'll also get root).

And yes, the UCKK6 release had a serious bug related to the wifi that could drain your battery. Best to go with UCKH7.

I was able to boot to download mode by holding the vol +/- key and then plugging in the USB cable but there is no movement from the computer it doesn't make a sound nor does it detect. I tried restarting the phone then I get a notification on windows that USB device not recognised!
Yes I guess this rom is useless, if the wifi is switched on then battery would not even last 6 hrs!

jpasher

Jan 2, 2014
I was able to boot to download mode by holding the vol +/- key and then plugging in the USB cable but there is no movement from the computer it doesn't make a sound nor does it detect. I tried restarting the phone then I get a notification on windows that USB device not recognised!

Are you saying to get a balloon notification in the tray that says the USB device is not recognized? A possible reason for that is a faulty USB cable or USB port (funny enough, I actually got that message last night when I was playing around with my Captivate, and switching USB ports made it work). I know you said you've tried other computers an another USB cable, but that's about my only idea. Maybe there's some debris inside the connector that's messing up the connection.

When you say you changed the "USB flex cable", are you talking about the internal connector and board inside the phone? If so, perhaps the I777 connector board is actually a little different than the I9100 board and causing a compatibility issue.

The bug in UCKK6 related to wifi didn't affect everybody, but it definitely affected a lot of people (based upon reports here).

Dec 17, 2013
Oklahoma City
How would I be able to change the ROM if the phone is not detected :eek:

First ill run you through the problem I had. Just for reference did you use Mr. Cooks script before flashing Cyanogenmod 11? One of his scripts for cleaning before flashing, actually deletes a certain file, not to keen on which one. What it results in though is not being able to flash OF ROMS and some certain custom ROMS! So id recommend alliance's ROM! As for the "Getting the ROM on your device, you could put the ROM on your SD though recovery "Mount and storage/Mount mass storage/" or just use a micro sd card adapter and move it on there that way.

kshah1606

Jan 4, 2014
Thanks for your reply. Would you mind sending me the link on how to do that step by step as mentioned I'm new to Samsung phones and also this forum.
Your help is appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

jpasher

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks for your reply. Would you mind sending me the link on how to do that step by step as mentioned I'm new to Samsung phones and also this forum.

What state is your phone currently in? Is it still not detected by the computer? You are still on 2.3.6, correct?

If it's still not being detected by your computer, I'm not sure if you can flash anything needed using the stock recovery. I know that when I flashed stock JB, I was able to boot into stock recovery and directly apply the standard CWM update file here. It will give boot into a temporary CWM that should allow you to flash other ZIP files (like a ROM), although I had trouble doing that (so I ended up flashing the AJK_v4.9_NoSwap.zip kernel using the MobileOdin android app, which gave a permanent CWM recovery).

I'm not sure if this same process works with the 2.3.6 recovery. However, in order to get the stock recovery to see the internal SD card, I had to run adb shell commands to mount the partition (meaning I had to have a working connection from the computer).

kshah1606

Jan 4, 2014
Solved!!!

HI Guys,

Many many thanks for all your responses!

I have changed the USB flex cable again to an older version v2.2 and my phone is currently being detected by kies! So relieved thanks a lot for all your help..now the rooting begins!!:laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Are you saying to get a balloon notification in the tray that says the USB device is not recognized? A possible reason for that is a faulty USB cable or USB port (funny enough, I actually got that message last night when I was playing around with my Captivate, and switching USB ports made it work). I know you said you've tried other computers an another USB cable, but that's about my only idea. Maybe there's some debris inside the connector that's messing up the connection.

When you say you changed the "USB flex cable", are you talking about the internal connector and board inside the phone? If so, perhaps the I777 connector board is actually a little different than the I9100 board and causing a compatibility issue.

The bug in UCKK6 related to wifi didn't affect everybody, but it definitely affected a lot of people (based upon reports here).
    Solved!!!

HI Guys,

Many many thanks for all your responses!

I have changed the USB flex cable again to an older version v2.2 and my phone is currently being detected by kies! So relieved thanks a lot for all your help..now the rooting begins!!:laugh: