[Q] Galaxy Note: The amount of its laggyness?

Search This thread

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
Hello Fellow Members,

Okay I have been reading a lot of complaints about the Note being laggy and frankly even I came across a couple of Galaxy Notes at two different malls/stores on display and they both lagged like anything. Although the lag was for just a couple of seconds but it was very frustrating. I noticed the lag throughout in the OS, right from swiping the home screens to scrolling in the settings or scrolling the browsing or while opening the apps. (Any app). And it became even more frustrating to see a previous model (Galaxy s2) working as smooth as melting butter. I operated them side by side and, man the difference was noticeable, seriously NOTICEABLE. I was soooooooooo disappointed. I had the cash with me but I was just not willing to believe, such a high spec’d phone would lag :(. And eventually I came from the store without purchasing one :(.

I have read on XDA forums also where many G-Note users have complained about their experiences of Galaxy Note being laggy. Hence, I would “request” you all to please make short videos of your galaxy Notes, upload on youtube and share the link with us here, so that someone who wants to buy a NOTE would see the amount of laggyness of the phone and then decide, whether this lag is acceptable or inacceptable for him/them. Please show the scrolling on contacts, S-pen notes, swiping between home screens, scrolling the browser etc.

Please guys, come forward and do so, as I youtubed a lot but couldn’t find videos showing the laggyness of Note. All videos are filled with how smooth and fast the NOTE is. And seeing that, I went to purchase one but…. :(

P.S: Rooting isn’t an option for me as this will void the warranty and I don’t want to void my warranty. Hence no rooting :(
Also, people say that ICS will solve the issue. I have seen on other phones that initially it does make the device faster but with daily usage, it becomes same as it used to be with the previous version of OS.

M3TALLICA

Nov 14, 2011
Rooting will void your warranty but but if done in correct way you can unroot and get it back.
Older firmware were slow and laggy but LC1 and LC2 are smooth.
Have you tried V6 SuperCharger or ThunderBolt scripts before ? You'll need root though.
These littile thing inject steroids in your phone.

Reactions: filthykid

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
Wait wait wait wait.
You have used such difficult Jargons of Andriod world that I am just not able to catch you up :confused:.

Okay, as you have mentioned, V6 SuperCharger or ThunderBolt scripts will require Rooting my device (although I have no idea what are V6 SuperCharger or ThunderBolt scripts), but tell me these LC1 and LC2 are firmware updates, right? And they can be updated "without" rooting the device. Isn't it?

And this update will make G-Note blazing fast, like s2?

abhisahara

Jun 10, 2010
Bangalore
Wait wait wait wait.
You have used such difficult Jargons of Andriod world that I am just not able to catch you up :confused:.

Okay, as you have mentioned, V6 SuperCharger or ThunderBolt scripts will require Rooting my device (although I have no idea what are V6 SuperCharger or ThunderBolt scripts), but tell me these LC1 and LC2 are firmware updates, right? And they can be updated "without" rooting the device. Isn't it?

Dont compare Note and S2. The same processor and same GPU in S2 powers a smaller screen with less pixels and less DPI. Here in Note you have the same processor and GPU power a huge HD screen with the best DPI in business. Also all the apps are built on hdpi resolution while the note is xhdpi resolution so the apps and launchers tend to get laggy. Also there is no hardware acceleration supported in much apps. I am using ICS Stunner and using it on 240 dpi which is hdpi resolution and its silk smooth. Butter!
And i dont have time to make videos. So if you can then take my word. If not then each one to his own :)

Cheers!! Enjoy your Note!!

Last edited:

M3TALLICA

Nov 14, 2011
You don't need to be rooted to update firmware.
Use pc odin or built-in OTA (Over The Air - Phone updates itself using 3G/WiFi) update feature. :)

russeini

Sep 6, 2009
update to the latest stock firmware released in 2012.....should b much smoother. But we're all waiting for ics which should be out very soon.
advice: go bak to the shop......remove all widgets on homescreen and/or change wallpaper to static nd try. I have noticed that some live wallpapers and widgets cause lagginess. I usually remove everythng from the homescreen and start adding them 1 by 1 and checkng.....one widget sometimes is the culprit.
Ics should smooth everythng as some have reported.

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
Dont compare Note and S2. The same processor and same GPU in S2 powers a smaller screen with less pixels and less DPI. Here in Note you have the same processor and GPU power a huge HD screen with the best DPI in business. Also all the apps are built on hdpi resolution while the note is xhdpi resolution so the apps and launchers tend to get laggy. Also there is no hardware acceleration supported in much apps. I am using ICS Stunner and using it on 240 dpi which is hdpi resolution and its silk smooth. Butter!
And i dont have time to make videos. So if you can then take my word. If not then each one to his own :)

Thanks for your comment.

I am not saying it should run games which require excellent acceleration or requires immense power from GPU, as I am not into heavy mobile games. All I require is butter smooth execution of day-to-day usage. Be it scrolling contact, scrolling web page, swiping through 10 application screens or swiping 7 home screens. :confused:

using it on 240 dpi which is hdpi resolution

Waht's the actual dpi for Note? Or this is the original dpi?

Reactions: bioweb

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
update to the latest stock firmware released in 2012.....should b much smoother. But we're all waiting for ics which should be out very soon.
advice: go bak to the shop......remove all widgets on homescreen and/or change wallpaper to static nd try. I have noticed that some live wallpapers and widgets cause lagginess. I usually remove everythng from the homescreen and start adding them 1 by 1 and checkng.....one widget sometimes is the culprit.

Your response is somewhat relieving I must tell you. But the comment under your post is disturbing :D. I mean I want a butter smooth tock ROM device and after paying $607 for G-Note, I don’t want to regret and speed it a “very” essential part of my checklist of a smart phone.

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
Owned a Note and 7.7

7.7 slightly slower than Nexus, Note is laggy, esp when not turned off for days.

Have you ever tried updating its firmware and stuff to make it faster? (as mentioned above in this post) If you have and still it lags, then that’s a concern for me (and perhaps for your and for many others too who are thinking of owning one) :)

abhisahara

Jun 10, 2010
Bangalore
Thanks for your comment.

I am not saying it should run games which require excellent acceleration or requires immense power from GPU, as I am not into heavy mobile games. All I require is butter smooth execution of day-to-day usage. Be it scrolling contact, scrolling web page, swiping through 10 application screens or swiping 7 home screens. :confused:

Waht's the actual dpi for Note? Or this is the original dpi?

I never specifically told about games. To have everything buttery smooth u require hardware acceleration which gpu provides in the apps browser and launchers. So gpu is not just for games. Now you got why i told you all that above. To have everything running smooth on such big screen and resolution u require hardware acceleration. Ever noticed lag in all third party launchers? Its becoz they don't have hardware acceleration. The stock TW launcher is partially hw accelerated so still runs somewhat smooth.
The original dpi of Note is 321

BOOMED from my BOMBASTIC NOTE :D

krhn

Feb 26, 2010
Tbh you can't really blame the note for being a tad laggy since it is basically a computer and all computers ( even the best) will come across a type of lag within its lifetime.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
I never specifically told about games. To have everything buttery smooth u require hardware acceleration which gpu provides in the apps browser and launchers. So gpu is not just for games. Now you got why i told you all that above. To have everything running smooth on such big screen and resolution u require hardware acceleration. Ever noticed lag in all third party launchers? Its becoz they don't have hardware acceleration. The stock TW launcher is partially hw accelerated so still runs somewhat smooth.
The original dpi of Note is 321

BOOMED from my BOMBASTIC NOTE :D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mystic38

Mar 16, 2012
here is a tip to the op.. You will find 99% of all problems you look for.. If you didnt look, you would not know there are problems.

The key to happiness in life is being happy with what you have and setting your expectations ot a reasonable level..

If you dont need the large screen, go buy something else. If you do need the large screen, then you have no choice but the note.. :D

so either relax and enjoy your note or be paranoid about this and every other device on the planet, and buy every new device as it comes out and drive yourself into a frenzy of despair about this problem, that problem, this issue that issue until you realise all this agony and money has not fixed a single thing in your life, you are stressed, depressed and you end up a bankrupt nuerotic..

filthykid

Apr 14, 2012
here is a tip to the op.. You will find 99% of all problems you look for.. If you didnt look, you would not know there are problems.

The key to happiness in life is being happy with what you have and setting your expectations ot a reasonable level..

If you dont need the large screen, go buy something else. If you do need the large screen, then you have no choice but the note.. :D

so either relax and enjoy your note or be paranoid about this and every other device on the planet, and buy every new device as it comes out and drive yourself into a frenzy of despair about this problem, that problem, this issue that issue until you realise all this agony and money has not fixed a single thing in your life, you are stressed, depressed and you end up a bankrupt nuerotic..

This device has NOTHING bad in it.. Just the LAG LAG LAG!
Nice post though! Loved it.

stevo9er

Jul 31, 2011
I am using stock GB and I have almost no lag. Maybe you should make a video and show us what lag you are talking about.

uberNoobZA

Oct 10, 2008
Oxford
I am using stock rom (gingerbread) at the moment and experience none of the lag you refer to. I also tried some of the ics roms and also no lag.

The only time my phone 'hesitates' is sometimes when I unlock it as it switches from widget locker to lock screen. Now as it is a 3rd party app doing it, I can hardly blame the note. I love my note and even got rid of my galaxy nexus and asus tf101 when i got the note.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

unpro

Apr 16, 2012
Have you ever tried updating its firmware and stuff to make it faster? (as mentioned above in this post) If you have and still it lags, then that’s a concern for me (and perhaps for your and for many others too who are thinking of owning one) :)

It's on the latest firmware available in my country (Malaysia)

All I can think is, Gingerbread is just far inferior to ICS or Honeycomb. Nokia Lumia is a lot faster too (hope that word is not banned here)

Then again, some items images/video captured in 7.7 is only 3.2mp vs 8mp.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting will void your warranty but but if done in correct way you can unroot and get it back.
    Older firmware were slow and laggy but LC1 and LC2 are smooth.
    Have you tried V6 SuperCharger or ThunderBolt scripts before ? You'll need root though.
    These littile thing inject steroids in your phone.
    Wait wait wait wait.

You don't need to be rooted to update firmware.
    Use pc odin or built-in OTA (Over The Air - Phone updates itself using 3G/WiFi) update feature. :)
    Owned a Note and 7.7

7.7 slightly slower than Nexus, Note is laggy, esp when not turned off for days.