[Q] Stuck in recovery restart limbo

Search This thread

SillySal

Jan 19, 2011
Hello all,
Last night I was trying to install the latest Gummy release on my Verizon Galaxy S3. This was the first time I have tried to flash a rom on this phone. It failed, and I rebooted my phone, and now it will only boot into the clockwork recovery.

I thought it may have been damaged as i was transferring the file to the device. I had an SD card in my droid X, So I put it in my Galaxy and formatted it with clockwork. Then I transferred the gummy release (that I also re-downloaded) from my computer to the SD card via a memory card reader. I put it in my Galaxy and tried to install the release, and it gave me a different error
Code:
E: Can't Open /external_sd/Gummy-2.1-01-09-14-NIGHTLY-d2vzw.zip 
(bad)
Installation aborted.

Edit: Tried a few other roms and they had the same issue, but Cyanogen Mod 10.2 worked. Anybody have any guesses why?

Edit2: Further developments, Trying to do the latest nightly fir the CM yields the same issue that Gummy's release gave me initially. It reports as follows:
Code:
E: Error in /external_sd/cm-11-20140110NIGHTLY-d2vzw.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Is there possibly a firmware issue at play?

Last edited:

Cappurnikus

May 13, 2011
I'm having this exact issue except I currently have TWRP 2.6.3. I wiped data, cache and internal and it actually booted the below ROM (the first boot) but once I got everything setup and rebooted the device it will not boot beyond recovery. It hangs on the Samsung boot logo. I've tried to restore to a 4.1.2 ROM as well as install 4.3 and 4.1.2 again multiple times but they will not boot. Any direction would be appreciated.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2601536

SillySal

Jan 19, 2011
Did u unlocked ur recovery. And if ur trying to flash a KITKAT rom u need the latest clockwork recovery

Sorry, forgot to mention, I did unlock with EZunlock. Would the clockwork on the play store be the latest one, or is there another place with more up to date versions?

I'm having this exact issue except I currently have TWRP 2.6.3. I wiped data, cache and internal and it actually booted the below ROM (the first boot) but once I got everything setup and rebooted the device it will not boot beyond recovery. It hangs on the Samsung boot logo. I've tried to restore to a 4.1.2 ROM as well as install 4.3 and 4.1.2 again multiple times but they will not boot. Any direction would be appreciated.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2601536

Do you get the same error on install that I'm getting, ro are the installs finishing, but not booting?

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
Try goo manager or ez-recovery to install the latest recovery
right now i can think of
factory reset format data. Make sure u backup ur internal
Wen changing from rom to rom is a good thing to do a clean install
get the right gapps.
The 1st boot always takes time at least on me.
Sorry i cant think of more helpful things.. Been drinking

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try goo manager or ez-recovery to install the latest recovery
    right now i can think of
    factory reset format data. Make sure u backup ur internal
    Wen changing from rom to rom is a good thing to do a clean install
    get the right gapps.
    The 1st boot always takes time at least on me.
    Sorry i cant think of more helpful things.. Been drinking
    Looks like my recovery just needed an update. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk