[Guide] Subsidy Unlock, SuperCID, and Radio S-OFF

Search This thread

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Update 12-29-10: Due to problems reported with v03, we now link to v02.

Update 12-23-10:
A new version of gfree, v02, has just been released by Guhl. Links have been updated to the new version, which allows you to set Sim Unlock, CID, and Radio S-ON/OFF independently. If you have previously run gfree, you will receive no additional benefit from running gfree v2, unless you want to change one of the settings.

Notice: gfree is known not to work for radio firmwares with higher versions then 26.03.02.xx -- the reason for this is that HTC patched the hole that allowed scotty2 to power cycle the emmc chip to drop its write protection. So if you installed a radio version with a higher version number, downgrade the radio firmware before using gfree.

Guhl also released gfree_verify, which allows you to verify your phone's settings (regardless of which gfree you used). See the wiki for more on that.

The wiki is usually up to date on the latest of everything, so be sure to check it frequently.

---------------

scotty2 delivers again!

His "gfree" program should do the following for your g2, dz, or dhd:

* Radio S-OFF -- the real deal. This means the g2 will permit permanent root.
* Subsidy Unlock -- AKA "Sim Unlock" AKA "Network Unlock" AKA "Use a foreign SIM Card"
* SuperCID - enables the flashing of any carrier's firmware for the phone.

If you don't know what this means or why you might want it, check the wiki.

INSTRUCTIONS:

NOTE: If you have NOT permarooted your phone previously with the HBOOT/wpthis method, doing so using the new "gfree" method should have the added effect of sim-unlocking the phone, setting superCID and turning Radio S-OFF. In fact, it's the new method for permarooting for G2/DZ and DHD. So if you haven't yet permarooted, look at those instructions.

Again, the instructions below are for people only who have already previously "permarooted" through the earlier hacked-HBOOT method. See the wiki if you are starting from scratch with a new G2/DZ/DHD and have not yet done anything "root-ish".

WARNING: Be aware that by following these instructions you are messing with your phone with potential for screwing things up. Do so at your own risk. The many authors of this guide assume no responsibility for any damage to your phone, health, general well-being, or anything else untoward with respect to these instructions or you following them.

gfree uses a dynamic in-memory patch of the kernel to remove the kernel's write protection of the radio partition.

So, for those of you who have permarooted the old HBOOT way and put on new kernels --The following kernel versions that are known NOT to work yet with gfree. If you have one of the following kernel versions on your phone install a different (stock, OTA or cyanogen) kernel before starting this procedure:

| pershoots 11/30 build
| pershoot's 2.6.32.26 – OC-UV-NEON_FP (1.516GHZ) – G2 - 12/3
| Cyanogen Kernel / release 6.1.1
| 2.6.32.26-cm-virtuous-v1.0 rmk@droid#1

Other newer kernels may also not work with gfree. So if you experience problems with this procedure (either the phone reboots during the process or the procedure completes correctly but the verify still shows that the phone is locked) then you may think about downgrading the kernel to an original stock kernel or even better to this kernel.

Okay. So we're assuming you've permarooted already and usb debugging is on (Applications > Development, then enable USB debugging). You'll also need about 5MB free on your sdcard.

You might want to back up your phone with nandroid on the Clockwork recovery image first, just in case.

Note: If you hanker to do it the longer, manual, harder, and more dangerous way, or are just curious what gfree does, see the wiki history for the old instructions.

No? Then let's begin.

==== 1. Download gfree and verify sdcard is not mounted by your computer ====

You will need to download a program called gfree (v02) that will first copy partition 7 of the phone, then patch it, then reflash back to your phone. (verified to work with the g2 and desire z as well as the desire hd). (You will also need adb, which you can download as part of the Android SDK.)

Unzip gfree_02.zip to your computer.

Make sure your computer is not mounting your phone's sdcard.

==== 2. Run gfree on the phone ====

On your computer's terminal/command line, navigate to where the gfree file is, and then...

Code:
 adb push gfree /data/local
 adb shell
This copies gfree to your phone, then puts you in your phone's terminal. Then do this:

Code:
 su
 cd /data/local
 chmod 777 gfree
 ./gfree -f
 sync
Wait a few moments for the sync to "take". Then reboot your phone. That's it!

gfree created a backup of your original partition 7 at /sdcard/part7backup-<time>.bin you might consider copying this to a safe location on your computer.

Now you can try using a new SIM card to verifiy that it worked. Also, if you had to flash a different kernel before running gfree, you may now reflash the kernel you originally had.

Thanks to the gang at #g2root, including IntuitiveNipple, scotty2, tmzt, rhcp, ciwrl, and guhl... among many others.

Wiki: How to enable Radio S-OFF, SuperCID, and SIM-unlock (with some informational background)

File: gfree_02.zip

File: gfree_verify_v01.zip

Feel free to use the "Thanks" button below. Also, Scotty2's paypal email is walker.scott AT gmail.com if you want to make a contribution.

Finally, Americans might consider making a donation to the Electronic Frontier Foundation who fight to defend your legal right to root or unlock your own phone when the carriers and phone manufacturers may lobby or otherwise try to stop you. The EFF can always use your tax-deductible support.

Last edited:

thenefield

Jan 15, 2009
Hey thanks for posting this!

So I guess this is like perm-perm-root.

Giving it a shot now.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Reactions: mbzee

nycjv321

Jun 20, 2009

I just bricked my phone LMAO!!! :)

I did the perm root that was easy... this jeez... followed the [Guide] How to recover your semi-brick (OMFG Thank you guys over there!) BUT I'm back... I literally almost **** my pants. Well... Gonna try this again maybe after finals LOL :)

nycjv321

Jun 20, 2009
Question though (going to try it later tonight LOL =P) the guide says I need a "custom cyanogenmod based kernel and provides the boot image that contains it.. I am using the nightlies do they contain that same function or no? also when I did flash that boot image and ran "insmod /sdcard/wpthis-cyanogen.ko" it said error function not implemented? Anyone not run into this issue? or have any ideas?

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Question though (going to try it later tonight LOL =P) the guide says I need a "custom cyanogenmod based kernel and provides the boot image that contains it.. I am using the nightlies do they contain that same function or no?

Nope.

also when I did flash that boot image and ran "insmod /sdcard/wpthis-cyanogen.ko" it said error function not implemented? Anyone not run into this issue? or have any ideas?

"Error function not implemented" means it worked.

nycjv321

Jun 20, 2009
Ok I ran it all again and worked but when I was verifying it I got all the supposed feedback except at "echo -e 'AT$QCPWRDN\r' > /dev/smd0" I got AT$QCPWRDN and then +CME Error: 0.... (No OK as said in the guide? :( ) and then it rebooted? what didn't work?

nycjv321

Jun 20, 2009
This may be a stupid question but doesn't 0 also equate to no error? (In my older post) (Its just not stated in the guide, I don't want to overlook something which is why I asked :) ) You guys are AWESOME!!!

emperorchan

Nov 30, 2010
This may be a stupid question but doesn't 0 also equate to no error? (In my older post) (Its just not stated in the guide, I don't want to overlook something which is why I asked :) ) You guys are AWESOME!!!

After entering the following into ADB Shell command prompt:

# echo -e 'AT$QCPWRDN\r' > /dev/smd0

The reply I got was a bunch of numbers (which filled the screen and wrapped to a new line) from what I can recall and then the phone rebooted. I didn't save the command window so I don't have the full details.

When the phone re-booted, I get signal from the local Thailand carrier AIS using a pre-paid SIM card.

The first time I went through the process I made a mistake setting the following using the Hex Editor:

"...set the 4 bytes at 0x807fc to 49 53 F4 7D"

The second time around I figured out what the "c" in "0x807fc" meant in terms of location on the Hex Editor. That was it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 12-29-10: Due to problems reported with v03, we now link to v02.

Update 12-23-10:
    A new version of gfree, v02, has just been released by Guhl. Links have been updated to the new version, which allows you to set Sim Unlock, CID, and Radio S-ON/OFF independently. If you have previously run gfree, you will receive no additional benefit from running gfree v2, unless you want to change one of the settings.

Notice: gfree is known not to work for radio firmwares with higher versions then 26.03.02.xx -- the reason for this is that HTC patched the hole that allowed scotty2 to power cycle the emmc chip to drop its write protection. So if you installed a radio version with a higher version number, downgrade the radio firmware before using gfree.

Guhl also released gfree_verify, which allows you to verify your phone's settings (regardless of which gfree you used). See the wiki for more on that.

The wiki is usually up to date on the latest of everything, so be sure to check it frequently.

---------------

scotty2 delivers again!

His "gfree" program should do the following for your g2, dz, or dhd:

* Radio S-OFF -- the real deal. This means the g2 will permit permanent root.
    * Subsidy Unlock -- AKA "Sim Unlock" AKA "Network Unlock" AKA "Use a foreign SIM Card"
    * SuperCID - enables the flashing of any carrier's firmware for the phone.

If you don't know what this means or why you might want it, check the wiki.

INSTRUCTIONS:

NOTE: If you have NOT permarooted your phone previously with the HBOOT/wpthis method, doing so using the new "gfree" method should have the added effect of sim-unlocking the phone, setting superCID and turning Radio S-OFF. In fact, it's the new method for permarooting for G2/DZ and DHD. So if you haven't yet permarooted, look at those instructions.

Again, the instructions below are for people only who have already previously "permarooted" through the earlier hacked-HBOOT method. See the wiki if you are starting from scratch with a new G2/DZ/DHD and have not yet done anything "root-ish".

WARNING: Be aware that by following these instructions you are messing with your phone with potential for screwing things up. Do so at your own risk. The many authors of this guide assume no responsibility for any damage to your phone, health, general well-being, or anything else untoward with respect to these instructions or you following them.

gfree uses a dynamic in-memory patch of the kernel to remove the kernel's write protection of the radio partition.

So, for those of you who have permarooted the old HBOOT way and put on new kernels --The following kernel versions that are known NOT to work yet with gfree. If you have one of the following kernel versions on your phone install a different (stock, OTA or cyanogen) kernel before starting this procedure:

| pershoots 11/30 build
    | pershoot's 2.6.32.26 – OC-UV-NEON_FP (1.516GHZ) – G2 - 12/3
    | Cyanogen Kernel / release 6.1.1
    | 2.6.32.26-cm-virtuous-v1.0 rmk@droid#1

Other newer kernels may also not work with gfree. So if you experience problems with this procedure (either the phone reboots during the process or the procedure completes correctly but the verify still shows that the phone is locked) then you may think about downgrading the kernel to an original stock kernel or even better to this kernel.

Okay. So we're assuming you've permarooted already and usb debugging is on (Applications > Development, then enable USB debugging). You'll also need about 5MB free on your sdcard.

You might want to back up your phone with nandroid on the Clockwork recovery image first, just in case.

Note: If you hanker to do it the longer, manual, harder, and more dangerous way, or are just curious what gfree does, see the wiki history for the old instructions.

No? Then let's begin.

==== 1. Download gfree and verify sdcard is not mounted by your computer ====

You will need to download a program called gfree (v02) that will first copy partition 7 of the phone, then patch it, then reflash back to your phone. (verified to work with the g2 and desire z as well as the desire hd). (You will also need adb, which you can download as part of the Android SDK.)

Unzip gfree_02.zip to your computer.

Make sure your computer is not mounting your phone's sdcard.

==== 2. Run gfree on the phone ====

On your computer's terminal/command line, navigate to where the gfree file is, and then...

Code:
     adb push gfree /data/local
     adb shell
    This copies gfree to your phone, then puts you in your phone's terminal. Then do this:

Code:
     su
     cd /data/local
     chmod 777 gfree
     ./gfree -f
     sync
    Wait a few moments for the sync to "take". Then reboot your phone. That's it!

gfree created a backup of your original partition 7 at /sdcard/part7backup-<time>.bin you might consider copying this to a safe location on your computer.

Now you can try using a new SIM card to verifiy that it worked. Also, if you had to flash a different kernel before running gfree, you may now reflash the kernel you originally had.

Thanks to the gang at #g2root, including IntuitiveNipple, scotty2, tmzt, rhcp, ciwrl, and guhl... among many others.

Wiki: How to enable Radio S-OFF, SuperCID, and SIM-unlock (with some informational background)

File: gfree_02.zip

File: gfree_verify_v01.zip

Feel free to use the "Thanks" button below. Also, Scotty2's paypal email is walker.scott AT gmail.com if you want to make a contribution.

Finally, Americans might consider making a donation to the Electronic Frontier Foundation who fight to defend your legal right to root or unlock your own phone when the carriers and phone manufacturers may lobby or otherwise try to stop you. The EFF can always use your tax-deductible support.
    Some clarification on how gfree works and why it can fail

Reading some messages here that gfree failed and the theories why it failed leads me to writing this to bring some clarification.

There are 2 security systems that HTC put in place that gfree has to take down before it can change the security settings that are stored in partition 7 of the emmc chip.

1. The emmc - chip is write protected by it's controller using a write protection that is setup once on boot and sticks until power down. scotty2 worked around this security system using a kernel module called "wpthis.ko" that actually takes down the power of the emmc chip and powers it back on without the write protection.
    wpthis.ko is now embedded in gfree but still used.
    People who already perma-rooted the old way by either using wpthis.ko directly or using a visionary version that did perma-rooting and then flashed the engineering hboot might believe that their emmc-chip is not write protected anymore but this is not true. The eng-hboot only turns of the write protection for the system partitions not for the radio partitions.
    This is why gfree has to use wpthis.ko also on phones that are already perma-rooted.

2. In the kernel driver of the emmc card (file drivers/mmc/card/block.c) HTC added code that checks for writes below address 131072 and if true fires a BUG() - this will make the kernel crash and the phone reboot.
    gfree uses a rather complicated method to find this in the running kernel and to patch it in memory. This is maybe the most complicated part of gfree.

After these to security systems have been brought down the last step of gfree is to first create a backup of partition 7 to the sdcard and then patch partition 7 in different places to achieve radio s-off, super-cid or remove the sim-lock (or do whatever you told it to do using the command line options in version 0.02).

So as the first two things are kernel dependent there is a huge possibility that one or both of them fail with a non stock kernel. scotty2 did his best to develop a program that will work on most kernels but as the kernel developers bring out more and more new enhanced kernels the probability that it will fail increases.

So to summarize:
    - If your phone rebooted while using gfree:
    gfree could not remove the kernel BUG in step 2 and therefore the kernel crashes as gfree writes to partition 7
    - If everything looked fine and gfree said "Done" but after you reboot gfree_verify still shows that all security locks are one (secu_flag=1 and CID is not 11111111) then probably step 1 in gfree failed and could not drop the write protection of the emmc chip.

In any case:
    - If you are using a non stock kernel and it fails:
    Make a nandroid backup of your phone -> flash a stock kernel -> run gfree -> run gfree_verify -> restore your nandroid backup

Then come here and report the exact kernel version that you where using when it failed.

And please don't come here saying that something did not work if you did not try it with a stock kernel first.

have fun - Guhl
    Hey thanks for posting this!

So I guess this is like perm-perm-root.

Giving it a shot now.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
    I got a question.

I did this last week, and it seemed that it was done successfuly. The problem is that I tried to boot into recovery by pressing Volume + and power and I got three vibrations and the LED light just flashed red. I had to battery pull to be able to get the phone going again.

So that means I can only access recovery through ROM Manager, which makes me uneasy because it means that if I get a boot-loop I could potentially be screwed...

That's not how you boot into recovery. The good news is that you have proved you have radio S-OFF, because unless you have that then you don't get that flashing amber light state. You put the phone into a different recovery mode where I believe a PC can talk to the OSBL, but currently we don't have any documented procedures on how to use that mode.

You can get into recovery by holding Volume *Down* and Power, then you'll get into HBOOT. Then you can choose the "Recovery" option and it will boot you into Clockwork Recovery (assuming you've got that flashed).
    yes, you only need to downgrade to exploit. once everything is complete (root, soff, custom recovery, supercid, etc) you can use any radio

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium