NTT Docomo SO-01B users only. [FAQ]

Search This thread

hydenobuyuki

Dec 8, 2010
大阪/兵庫/東京
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/support/utilization/software_update/version_up/so01b/index.html
http://www.sonyericsson.co.jp/product/docomo/so-01b/update3/index.html

Does anyone know how this Area Mail feature works?
I'm using a custom rom from XDA (ewJET) now, so I won't get the update.

Does anyone know if it's an app or if it's really baked into the updated 2.1 OS?
緊急速報エリアメール
緊急地震速報や災害・避難情報を無料で受信できます。

Thanks.

Also, the SE website listed improved pinch to zoom
ピンチズームに対応し、操作性がさらに向上
指の動きにより画面の拡大・縮小が行えるピンチズーム機能に対応。操作性が向上します。

I wonder if that kind of improvement was already brought to the GingerBread versions for the X10 and since SO-01b will likely never get GingerBread so they brought that feature over?

tuner520

Sep 6, 2010
琉球 - Ryukyu Islands
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/support/utilization/software_update/version_up/so01b/index.html
http://www.sonyericsson.co.jp/product/docomo/so-01b/update3/index.html

Does anyone know how this Area Mail feature works?
I'm using a custom rom from XDA (ewJET) now, so I won't get the update.

Does anyone know if it's an app or if it's really baked into the updated 2.1 OS?

Thanks.

Also, the SE website listed improved pinch to zoom

I wonder if that kind of improvement was already brought to the GingerBread versions for the X10 and since SO-01b will likely never get GingerBread so they brought that feature over?

ナマズ速報β is push mail app and has a 4.5star rating on market, so the 地震速報 function in update being an app is very possible

Reactions: hydenobuyuki

wildthing_san

Jul 16, 2010
Tokyo
Hi OP here.

I've updated now to the Samsung SC-03D, rooted of course :)

So for my Xperia I did end up unlocking the boot loader and installing FreeXperia cynaogenmod to it and it seems to run fine, so will probably have it around for a backup phone.

hydenobuyuki

Dec 8, 2010
大阪/兵庫/東京
FYI: There's an update available for the SO-01b.
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/support/utilization/product_update/list/so01b/index.html
I haven't seen many details aside from what little is written on the website but looks to be minor tweaks plus and fix for some overseas roaming problem.

(But of course it is still Android 2.1 and since November 2011 or so Docomo has been trying to convince customers to get rid of these older phones that will likely never get much in the way of carrier updates anymore)

My two years are now up... but I want to see how the SO-04D and the F-09D Tegra3 phone fairs

awbr

Apr 9, 2010
Can you please share the details for the sim unlock service you used

+1 w/ hydenobuyuki
I installed custom 2.3 rom EWJET after sim unlock and it remained sim unlocked. Then I also unlocked bootloader, installed doomkernel, and can comfirm sim unlock is still good. just remember to install POBox Touch for jpn keyboard.
BTW my sim unlock was done through HTCCODE about 1.5 years ago and bootloader unlock by semc_8xxx (no t setool2)

I've tried a few services to unlock my xperis X10 docomo without any success (ie: I7ve burnt a few bucks without any results ) would you be so kind as to share the link for the service you used?

I'm also trying to get a hold of POBOX Touch is there any thread out there explaining how to do it. Did a quick search but didn't have any hits.

Thanks in advance

hydenobuyuki

Dec 8, 2010
大阪/兵庫/東京
tuner520 said:
I installed custom 2.3 rom EWJET after sim unlock and it remained sim unlocked. Then I also unlocked bootloader, installed doomkernel, and can comfirm sim unlock is still good. just remember to install POBox Touch for jpn keyboard.
BTW my sim unlock was done through HTCCODE about 1.5 years ago and bootloader unlock by semc_8xxx (no t setool2)
I've tried a few services to unlock my xperis X10 docomo without any success (ie: I7ve burnt a few bucks without any results ) would you be so kind as to share the link for the service you used?

I'm also trying to get a hold of POBOX Touch is there any thread out there explaining how to do it. Did a quick search but didn't have any hits.

Thanks in advance

Tuner wrote in the post quoted that he/she used "HTCCODE about 1.5 years ago"

According to a very quick google search, HTCCODE is a website with sim unlock
services for HTC and Sony-Ericsson devices.

POBox should be in the stock rom or just get ATOK input from the play store (market). POBox is just Sony-Ericsson's keyboard for Japanese input but don't feel limited to using their keyboard. The Google Japanese Input keyboard is free and not bad.

hydenobuyuki

Dec 8, 2010
大阪/兵庫/東京
i have an xperia x10 docomo and i want to updated it to the 2.3 ginger bread officall one how can i do that help needed

1.) Understand fully well that doing so will void your warranty.
2.) Root your device (instruction differ depending on which version of the OS you are currently using) and install Recovery
3.) DO NOT change that JIT setting you may see from time to time in some software to root your device.
It works on X10a and X10 but does not work on SO-01b.
4.) Install a 2.3.3 GB rom from XDA. One of them has to be the official rom.
Keep in mind that rom was not intended for your device and may require a different baseband.
This can potentially make the device less stable or not work as well with Docomo's network.

In the end, it's probably not worth doing. The device is 2 1/2 years old... in smartphone years that's like being 75-80 years old.

If you have another phone and just want to use your SO-01b as a testing device for writing your own apps (or something a long those lines) and you feel moderately tech-savvy, then there's no reason to not give it a try. If you actually need to use the device as your main phone, then carefully think about whether it is worth it or not. You could easily mess up the device.

Another option is that you can find the sin files and what not for the official 2.3.3 from some specific market such as Norway or Canada and flash those on to your phone (various risks involved here too).

Another thing to try if you want to continue to get the properties file (build.prop) for the x10i running 2.1 from another country and try putting it on your phone (requires root and requires you to make your system writeable and overwrite the existing file after making sure you properly backed it up first). Then try plugging your phone in the Sony Update software and try to get it to update. No guarantees it will work. of course

The stickied threads have a lot of good information. (Not just in this General section but in the Q&A and Development sections)

For the SO-01b specifically, you want to make sure you don't activate that extra JIT option.
(Other information you might need for the SO-01b should be in post #1 of this thread including APN information in the even that it can't automatically pick up APNs)

Once you have international firmware installed, it's a different story but while running docomo firmware, don't do it.
Also, if you are on the docomo foma network but running non-docomo firmware and use tethering, it won't properly switch your APN so that docomo can charge you more money. (While that saves you money, keep in mind that docomo may know that you are rooted and may know that you aren't running their firmware... but I haven't heard about them doing anything about it.... also keep in mind that root is required for you to do anything. Rooting may make some things not work for DRM reasons. (In that they don't want to issue you DRM licenses because they think you may try to pirate something because you are rooted)

Finally, if you use a non-docomo firmware, don't expect to be able to buy/get apps that are restricted to the Play store for Japan.

tianh2002

Jan 5, 2011
I just bought a SO-01b and it's on android 2.1 version. I intend to unlock it and use it in Vietnam. Could I upgrade the Xperia SO-01B to Android 4.0 ICS? and how do I unlock it?

THanks so much

1.) Understand fully well that doing so will void your warranty.
2.) Root your device (instruction differ depending on which version of the OS you are currently using) and install Recovery
3.) DO NOT change that JIT setting you may see from time to time in some software to root your device.
It works on X10a and X10 but does not work on SO-01b.
4.) Install a 2.3.3 GB rom from XDA. One of them has to be the official rom.
Keep in mind that rom was not intended for your device and may require a different baseband.
This can potentially make the device less stable or not work as well with Docomo's network.

In the end, it's probably not worth doing. The device is 2 1/2 years old... in smartphone years that's like being 75-80 years old.

If you have another phone and just want to use your SO-01b as a testing device for writing your own apps (or something a long those lines) and you feel moderately tech-savvy, then there's no reason to not give it a try. If you actually need to use the device as your main phone, then carefully think about whether it is worth it or not. You could easily mess up the device.

Another option is that you can find the sin files and what not for the official 2.3.3 from some specific market such as Norway or Canada and flash those on to your phone (various risks involved here too).

Another thing to try if you want to continue to get the properties file (build.prop) for the x10i running 2.1 from another country and try putting it on your phone (requires root and requires you to make your system writeable and overwrite the existing file after making sure you properly backed it up first). Then try plugging your phone in the Sony Update software and try to get it to update. No guarantees it will work. of course

The stickied threads have a lot of good information. (Not just in this General section but in the Q&A and Development sections)

For the SO-01b specifically, you want to make sure you don't activate that extra JIT option.
(Other information you might need for the SO-01b should be in post #1 of this thread including APN information in the even that it can't automatically pick up APNs)

Once you have international firmware installed, it's a different story but while running docomo firmware, don't do it.
Also, if you are on the docomo foma network but running non-docomo firmware and use tethering, it won't properly switch your APN so that docomo can charge you more money. (While that saves you money, keep in mind that docomo may know that you are rooted and may know that you aren't running their firmware... but I haven't heard about them doing anything about it.... also keep in mind that root is required for you to do anything. Rooting may make some things not work for DRM reasons. (In that they don't want to issue you DRM licenses because they think you may try to pirate something because you are rooted)

Finally, if you use a non-docomo firmware, don't expect to be able to buy/get apps that are restricted to the Play store for Japan.

hydenobuyuki

Dec 8, 2010
大阪/兵庫/東京
I just bought a SO-01b and it's on android 2.1 version. I intend to unlock it and use it in Vietnam. Could I upgrade the Xperia SO-01B to Android 4.0 ICS? and how do I unlock it?

THanks so much

Are you serious? The Xperia X10 / SO-01b is now about 10 or 11 generations out of date.
It was an okay start from Sony Ericsson but fraught with problems.
I'm sorry to say but buying an X10 at this stage is a bad purchase.

The SO-01b was only ever upgraded to Android 2.1; No newer versions of the firmware were ever officially released for the SO-01b.
The X10 is the same hardware but different firmware and baseband and it was updated to Android 2.3.3.
Sony Ericsson has ONLY released firmware for this phone up to that point.

This is XDA developers where there are countless ROMs available for the X10/SO-01b.
You just need to make sure you follow their instructions exactly and use exactly which baseband they want
(Your SO-01b will not have the correct baseband to use the majority of the ROMs here so you will need to flash a new baseband)

If your SO-01b didn't come unlocked, you might want to think about getting another device.
By "unlocked", I mean the carrier lock or SIM-lock which will only work with either NTT Docomo or an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) based on Docomo's network such as bMobile/amazon/aeon/etc.

You need either NTT Docomo in Japan to unlock it or you can try some paid unlocking service that may or may not even work.

I've used the ThGo and the ewJET roms for the X10/SO-01b.
The ThGo (or any rom if you make the modifications yourself) will represent itself as an SO-01C instead of SO-01B to the market/play store so that you have access to a wider selection of ROMs. Even so, increasing numbers of apps are no longer supporting older versions of Android.

Since there is no official version of any newer firmware than Gingerbread, any Ice Cream Sandwich or JellyBean rom will likely have major parts that don't work (camera, wifi, etc.). Furthermore, newer versions of Android are intended to run on much newer devices with a LOT more ram.

I use a Docomo Xperia X10 (SO-01b) with bMobile Data SIM plus the ThGo Gingerbread ROM (2.3.3) but that couldn't be my main phone. I have an Docomo Xperia GX with the official Ice Cream Sandwich rom.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but it may not be worth using an SO-01b/X10 device at this stage unless you want it for testing. :(

Addendum: if you have a Samsung Vibrant... while they are both extremely out of date 9-11 generations old devices, the Vibrant is one generation newer than the SO-01b

Last edited:

wildthing_san

Jul 16, 2010
Tokyo
Docomo Unlocking not available.

Just FYI the phone is rather old and Docomo does not provide unlocking service for this phone.
Docomo only started unlocking phones from a certain date, which was after the SO-01B's release.

Reactions: krung09

krung09

Jul 20, 2013
failed update

can anyone help me to my cellphne SO-01B i'll try to update the software then after i update my cellphone using wi-fi then my cellphone automatically shotdown and i don't know how to fix it please help me :(

krung09

Jul 20, 2013
software failed update

can anyone help me to my cellphne SO-01B i'll try to update the software then after i update my cellphone using wi-fi then my cellphone automatically shotdown and i don't know how to fix it please help me

Attachments

• Snapshot_20130720.JPG
    Snapshot_20130720.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

krung09

Jul 20, 2013
software update failed

Hi ! im new here i just want to know if how to fixed the failed software update because i cant open my Xperia SO-01B there's any one can help me? thank you:)

krung09

Jul 20, 2013
Software update failed

can anyone help me to my cellphne SO-01B i'll try to update the software then after i update my cellphone using wi-fi then my cellphone automatically shotdown and i don't know how to fix it please help me

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

there's any one can help me -_- about the failed software update how to fix it?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ---- ****** Using 2.3.3 rooted firmware ****** ----

As per jpmwright http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16281837&postcount=126

I found that I couldn't use xRecovery on my phone with Docomo firmware. So you may need to reflash your phone for 2.1 firmware and re-root it.
    So sync/backup all the data you want from your current rooted phone including any Docomo specific apps, for apps I recommend using Titanium backup from the Market.
    Follow the guide here to get back to a generic 2.1 firmware: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=920746
    I used "FlashTool version 0.2.8" and "X10i Generic version 2.1update1 build 2.1.A.0.435"

You should now be on 2.1 generic firmware with root.

Now to get to X10i 2.3.3 rooted firmware follow: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192152

After you have completed your phone will be a X10i 2.3.3 rooted phone with generic setting, so for your APN settings use the info from post 1.
    (BTW for NTT Docomo, voicemail access number is 1417, vm off is 1470, vm on is 1471)

So now you can use your phone, but you will no longer have access to Docomo Market nor SO-1B apps.

To gain access again, you will have to modify build.prop using FlashTool, Root Explorer or other tools, the file location of build.prop is in flash at /system/build.prop
    I noticed this time I had to modify more occurance of build.prop in order for it work or Docomo Market or Market.
    Docomo Market does not look at the ro.build.fingerprint properties, but is needed for Android Market.

ro.build.fingerprint, you may wish to comment out the current value with a #
    so you can swith between the two identity.

my build.prop modification below:

ro.semc.product.model=SO-01B
    ro.build.product=SO-01B
    ro.product.name=SO-01B_1241-1846
    ro.product.device=SO-01B
    ro.build.fingerprint=docomo/SO-01B_1233-7397/SO-01B/es209ra:2.1-update1/2.01.B.0.19/ExBC:user/release-keys
    ro.product.model=SO-01B
    ro.semc.product.name=SO-01B
    ro.semc.product.device=SO-01B
    ro.product.brand=docomo

If you want Mixi plugin for Timescape you can get it from Market:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sonyericsson.androidapp.mixiplugin

** END **

---- ****** Old info for reference. ****** ----

** 2.01.b.0.19 Docomo firmware is out i.e. Dual touch**
    ** Root with Flashtool 0.2.4 **
    ** http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=920746 **

** Legacy info, you can now just use Docomo's official 2.1 firmware and then root **
    ** i.e. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834428 **
    ** To go back to Docomo firmware use values 1233-7397 for *.prop files **

Nordic 2.1 on SO-01B.

The only method I managed to get my Jailbroken 1.6 UK Generic firmware SO-01B updated to 121. Nordic was to use the method from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=825201
    Phone rooted fine with http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=824788

Do use the "Backup and restore" app, so you can restore your APN settings, alot of the other settings didn't restore which was a bit of a shame. (e.g. google/twitter account etc.)
    "Official" Docomo Market from 1.5 firmware fails to work, obviously due to new browser user agent ID.

[SO-01B only apps, Docomo market fix. ドコモマーケットにアクセスする方法]
    modify build.prop with:
    ro.build.product=SO-01B
    ro.product.device=SO-01B
    ro.product.model=SO-01B
    ro.semc.product.name=SO-01B
    ro.semc.product.device=SO-01B
    ro.product.brand=docomo
    +1 w/ hydenobuyuki
    110615_00_m.gif

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks.

Its more like a friendly reminder on choosing the right APN for the plan you are on, I suspect people forget to switch when they roam/change plan etc.

mpr2.bizho.net - packet hodai
    0120.mopera.ne.jp - for mopera setup
    spmode.ne.jp - for sp push mail
    mopera.net - needed for overseas roaming. (warning can get expensive, use the preferred carrier if you want to use the all you can use for 2980円 per day for countries that have this plan. also the day defined as from 00:00~23:59:59 JST)
    Z's 2.2 Beta 3 with SO-01B

Dual posting report here and Z's 2.2 thread...

Beta 3 HF1 working well in Japan as daily driver. ROM tested with performance orientation, ADW, static wallpaper, deleted couple stock APKs w/ Titanium, no taskmanagers. Market thinks I don't have some apps (like voice search) although they are preinstalled to 2.2 but I ignore what market says...

Batt life:
    Comparable / better than 2.1 vanilla.

Performance versus 2.1 vanilla JIT2 + MT:
    2.2Beta3 feels twice as responsive, especially loading webpages. My wife's global generic 2.1 X10 (Linpak32, Quadrant 850) feels "laggy", don't want to touch it anymore unless I need to HD Video-Record my kid.

More on 2.2 performance:
    -Wifi is solid & never FCs. Max 7.5Mbps down & 6Mbps up (quadcore desktop 25Mbps down and 5Mbps up on same line).
    -GPS & Maps working with WIFI on at same time.
    -ROM has been very stable for last 2 - 3 days. All FCs I've seen in Beta 2 are gone in Beta3. Users facing problems may need more patience first couple boots and/or listen to instructions better unless they're experiencing locale-specific or external factor issues.

Also, I've been using LED Light by picolyl (on market) since SE1.6. Download, set as widget, open app from drawer, menu> settings>untick Use big icon and show label. Most useful, smallest, and convenient light switch widget I know of now.

International Settings Issues (Japan):
    My 2.2Beta3 auto-loaded with Japanese settings. Auto APN is great, auto-Japanese app names may not be so cool to strictly English-Only users.

Even if user resets language to English, global app names stay Japanese. EG: Market=マーケット, Maps=マップ, Voice Search=音声検索, etc.

Though app names are in Japanese, apps still open and operate in English when language settings are set to English (and vice versa w/ Japanese).
    ** There is currently no announcement as yet from SE/Docomo with regards to a 2.3.3 firmware **
    ** In the mean time you can try using the pre-rooted firmware and modify build.prop to pretend to be a SO-1B 2.1 phone... **
    ** ..if you still wish to access Docomo Market and download protected apps such as SP モードメール **
    ** (See 2nd post for more info on the modification.)
    ** But any software that needs 2.3.x firmware will think you phone is a 2.1.x phone, so you may want to make modifications and switch back and forth **

---- ****** Old info below ****** ----

** 2.01.b.0.19 Docomo firmware is out i.e. Dual touch**
    ** Root with Flashtool 0.2.4 **
    ** http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=920746 **

** Legacy info, you can now just use Docomo's official 2.1 firmware and then root **
    ** i.e. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834428 **
    ** To go back to Docomo firmware use values 1233-7397 for *.prop files **

Useful Docomo settings:

[3G APN data, 3G通信 APN 設定]
    APN: (Setting -> Wireless controls -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names. 設定→ワイヤレス設定→モバイルネットワーク設定→アクセスポイント名)
    3G APN settings for NTT DoCoMo Bizhodai (for regular 3G use)
    APN: mpr2.bizho.net
    Name: Mopera U (Biz ホーダイ)
    (leave everything else as default)

3G APN settings for NTT DoCoMo SP Mode users (for regular 3G use)
    APN: spmode.ne.jp
    Name: SPモード
    (leave everything else as default)

3G APN setting for NTT DoCoCo Mopera U setting (not for any other data)
    Name: Mopera U 設定
    APN: 0120.mopera.ne.jp

---- ****** Below was for 1.6 firmware, see the next post for 2.1 specifics. ****** ----

[Japan Market, protected apps fix. マーケットパッチ]
    modify build.prop/default.prop with:
    ro.build.fingerprint=docomo/X10_1233-7397/SonyEricssonSO-01B/es209ra:1.6/R1EA018/1266719038:user/rel-keys

Test by downloading Foomoo/ぐるなび / 毎日新聞 / 読売新聞 app.

[SO-01B only apps, Docomo market fix. ドコモマーケットにアクセスする方法]
    modify build.prop/default.prop with:
    ro.product.model=SO-01B
    ro.product.brand=docomo

Test by running キャンペーンナビ/MTV App(Japan) app.

[Missing SO-01B apps from UK firmware]
    MixiPlugin.apk - (I haven't managed to get working yet, can be recovered from SO-1B firmware)
    pocket_rashinban.apk - (Can be recoverd from SO-01B firmware)
    docomo_market.apk - (Can be recoverd from SO-01B firmware) It's just a browser short cut to http://www.dcm-gate.com/Xperia/AND/
    PlayNow 1.1.0 (program icon does not have TM) Site also accessable from http://m.sonyericsson.co.jp/ad/menu
    mora touch can be installed from the marketplace.

---- ****** Other info. ****** ----

[i-mode email]
    You will need to subscribe to the iモード.net service.
    https://imode.net/cmn/re/be/top/apply.html
    or the new spモード service
    http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/info/news_release/2010/07/13_00.html

[Can I use the iモード.net モバイルアプリ from Docomo?]
    Not unless you have 2 docomo lines, its only designed to read email from you other number. (you can not read email from the docomo account assigned to the sim in the phone!)

[Which app do i use for iモード.net then?]
    Try third party "iMoNi" from the market place.

[Is there a Docomo bill application?]
    Try third party "My Docomo Checker"

[Docomo network service setting for Voicemail etc.]
    http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/support/trouble/manual/index.html

Please keep to thread specific for NTT Docomo Users.
    Thanks.