[TUTORIAL] Unlock Samsung [GT-S5570 / i5500 / Galaxy Ace]

Search This thread

AlkaDragos

Sep 20, 2011
[RO]
Unlock your Samsung Phone
[GT-S5570 / more...]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First i would like to say some words about this thread. I made this thread at some users requests, original thread contains some obsolete method for unlocking, making some people brick theyr phone. The last method and safe one, was somewhere mixed through other posts from different method and may confuse users. I just rewrite this from 0 for a better understanding and possible questions, discussions about this. I don't own anything from method used.

Original author of method: tweakradje
Original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=828534&page=34
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This tutorial was tested on a Samsung GT-S5570 ( Galaxy Mini ) but worked on some other models too ( i5500 / Galaxy Ace ). For more details you can search in original thread.

First thing you must know is that in order to keep following this tutorial you must have your phone rooted. Temporary or permanent, both will do the job. For any information about rooting phone ( Android 2.2 / 2.3 ) you can do a quick search on XDA-forum or Google.

Root Desktop App: SuperOneClick
SuperOneClick Root Tutorial: Root Tutorial

Now there are 2 methods for extracting the file we need to obtain unlock code, one using ADB Shell(if you use this method, make sure you have installed Android USB Driver first) or using a Terminal App for phone. ADB comes with Android SDK Tools and Terminal Emulator App from market or somewhere else.

Method 1 (ADB Shell)

- Open one instance of "Command Prompt" and go to folder containing ADB tool (adb.exe). (e.g C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>)
- Make sure your phone is connected to PC and "USB Debugging" it's enabled. (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging [X])
- The following commands will be executed in "Command Prompt" that we opened earlier:
Code:
- adb shell
- su
- cat /dev/block/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img
- exit (2x)
- adb pull /sdcard/bml5.img

So let's understand what we did here. First we run remote shell interactively, grant super-user access, extract the bml5 file to /sdcard then copy it to PC.

The file that we copied to PC should be in C:\Users\~username~\AppData\Local\VirtualStore but you can do a quick search to find it.

Method 2 (Terminal App)

- Open Terminal Emulator app
- Grant Super-user access to application
- The following commands will be executed in current opened application:
Code:
- su
- exit (2x)
- Close the application.

bml5 -> (BE-EM-EL-FIVE)
2x -> run the command 2 times

Attention: If you run cat command with the path from above and it's says the file doesn't exists or something like that make sure you try "cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img". For Samsung GT-S5570 the files is under /dev/block.

If you get this message when trying to access .bml file while your connected to PC: Permission Denied then try to get your USB card out of Mass Storage mode, so card won't be used by another process.

Ok, so after using one of these methods we have our file bml5.img in our PC if we used first method or on our /sdcard if we used second method. Keep in mind that we need this file on our PC, so if you used second method just copy the file to PC!
Now comes the part where we need to work with the file that we just extracted. So, in order to get the unlock code we need a HEX Editor, i've used XVI32 Hex Editor to open the file.

Finding the unlock code

- Open XVI32 Application that we just downloaded. Hit CTRL+O and select the bml5.img file that we extracted earlier. (Open the file)
- At the first look we will see just a bunch of FF's and 00's and random decimals or symbols, but somewhere deep in there it's our unlock code.
- Hit CTRL+F to open search dialog, select "Hex String" and put the following search string
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30
(maybe the search string won't be the same for all phones, but the one from above worked for Samsung GT-S5570)
- Mark "Case Sensitive", Direction "Down", Scope from "Begin".
- Click ok, or hit ENTER to start our search.
- So now, we must hit F3 untill we find our unlock code.
Our unlock code will be 8 digits plain text surrounded by unknown symbols just like in image below.

(I've hited F3 like 3 times, but don't know if it's the same for everyone. Also to make sure you see the code, after hitting F3 make sure you go 2-3 rows up to make sure the code is not above the searched string.)
(Unlock code can be finded in multiple places in file, so if you skip one searched string by mistake, just pay attention for next ones)

After getting the unlock code, write it somewhere in PC or paper... close the phone, remove the actual SIM Card, insert a foreign one and turn it ON! Wait untill it boots up, insert the unlock code and your done. Now you have an unlocked phone!

Attention: Unlock code can be extracted using a Custom ROM like CM7 in my case, the file was there, but can't be unlocked since the window to insert code doesn't appear(pop-up). In order to unlock your phone you must have a Stock ROM that actually can read any Samsung code and have that Network unlock code window!
Most custom roms that tries to remove blur break the subsidy lock interface (sim unlock screen doesn't show on them). If you flash other rom and subsidy unlock screen doesn't pop when you insert foreign sim, you will need to flash back stock ROM in order to unlock. So the easyest way for those of you running a Custom ROM, just do a nandroid backup using CWM, flash Stock ROM, unlock your phone then restore your backup. ;)

Useful Codes
*#7465625# - Dial code to check if phone it's network locked.
#7465625*638*UNLOCK-CODE# - Replace UNLOCK-CODE with your 8 digits number, then dial. Phone might reboot.

Details about test environment
Code:
Phone used: Samsung GT-S5570 (Galaxy Mini)
Android Version: 2.3.4 (Gingerbread)
PC Windows: Windows 7 (64-bit)

If you have reached the end of the tutorial and you wasn't able to obtain the unlock code( find numbers like 00000000 / 11111111 ), then it means that your phone it's "Hard Locked" or doesn't have the unlock code provided with the phone. I don't know any solution until now for this problem. For most of the people here, this works flawlessly, for some doesn't work.

If you find this tutorial useful please consider pushing the Thanks button at the end of thread.
thanks.jpg

You can also send me a beer by donating :) Thank you.

Last edited:

davidteleco

Nov 2, 2011
I have extracted the unlock code from a Samsung Galaxy ACE (st-5830) with CM7 mod with the PC method. However, the file was in the SD finally.

I can't unlock the phone until I flash a stock rom. In less than a week I will post if it has work or not.

Thank you everyone.

EDIT: IT IS WORKING RIGHT. My Galaxy Ace is now unlock and making calls. =)

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtedeMagia.com

AlkaDragos

Sep 20, 2011
[RO]
I have extracted the unlock code from a Samsung Galaxy ACE (st-5830) with CM7 mod with the PC method. However, the file was in the SD finally.

I can't unlock the phone until I flash a stock rom. In less than a week I will post if it has work or not.

Thank you everyone.

EDIT: IT IS WORKING RIGHT. My Galaxy Ace is now unlock and making calls. =)
Nice to hear that :) heh

@pvp26 - Thank you.

Reactions: kimtyson

dannycastaway

Nov 9, 2011
Thanks. I have bml5.img on my sdcard, but how do I transfer it to my PC. I've been searching and can't seem to find an answer. I tried following a link (can't post it because I'm a new member) but my “Wireless and Network” does not have a USB utilities

EDIT: I got it unlocked!! I just emailed myself bml5.img. But does anyone know why I couldn't transfer before?

Last edited:

LuisDuarte

Oct 14, 2011
Aveiro
Many thanks for your organized post.
With it I was able to find my unlock code but I cant get the popup message.( "Unlock code can be extracted using a Custom ROM like CM7 in my case, the file was there, but can't be unlocked since the window to insert code doesn't appear") I have cyanogenmod 7.1 and I would like to know which stock rom you used and where did you get it. Thanks and good job.

AlkaDragos

Sep 20, 2011
[RO]
Many thanks for your organized post.
With it I was able to find my unlock code but I cant get the popup message.( "Unlock code can be extracted using a Custom ROM like CM7 in my case, the file was there, but can't be unlocked since the window to insert code doesn't appear") I have cyanogenmod 7.1 and I would like to know which stock rom you used and where did you get it. Thanks and good job.
I used stock Gingerbread 2.3.4 that you can get it on samfirmware, scrool down, search for your phone model and click FIRMWARE from table.

@dannycastaway - i don't know exactly why, but usually when you insert USB cable a notification should show on statusbar, slide down and click "Manage Storage / Copy files" something like that and activate it.

Reactions: kimtyson

AchilleX

Nov 14, 2011
It works really good for me!

Samsung Gio S5660, gingerbread 2.3.4 (locked from Bell mobility).

Thanks

mk2vr6

Nov 19, 2011
Northampton!
I have just registered to show my appreciation! Ive got an S2, but bought the mrs an ACE locked to Orange.
While ive flashed Android Roms on my old galaxy portal, Ive never used ADB, and after a bit of searching online I managed to get my head round it.
So heres a Big thank you for a Complete working unlock on a Galaxy ACE.

Only thing i may add is that i had to use 'cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img'
And with hex editor found the code straight away.

Thanks again! :)

Ill stick around and see what i can do with my S2 now aswell ;)

ArtedeMagia.com

Nov 21, 2011
Bogotá
ArtedeMagia.com
Worked in Samsung i5500 Android 2.1

I have a Samsung Galaxy i5500 (Galaxy 5, Galaxy europa, Corby, Galaxy 550), with Android 2.1 update1 bought in Amazon USA.

The given instructions worked perfectly. :)

I found the code in the first search and was only once in the file.

I got root using SuperOneClick: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682

Here is how I made SuperOneClick work for me: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682

I had previously installed:

Java SDK (JDK): http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
(needed by Android SDK)

Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
(that installs adb)

Android USB Driver: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html
(I don't know if it's needed)

Last edited:

Ellis45678

Nov 22, 2011
Hi, many thanks for the guide, it didnt work for me I have a galaxy y and there is no: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 in bml5.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GT-S5570 / more...]

First i would like to say some words about this thread. I made this thread at some users requests, original thread contains some obsolete method for unlocking, making some people brick theyr phone. The last method and safe one, was somewhere mixed through other posts from different method and may confuse users. I just rewrite this from 0 for a better understanding and possible questions, discussions about this. I don't own anything from method used.

This tutorial was tested on a Samsung GT-S5570 ( Galaxy Mini ) but worked on some other models too ( i5500 / Galaxy Ace ). For more details you can search in original thread.

First thing you must know is that in order to keep following this tutorial you must have your phone rooted. Temporary or permanent, both will do the job. For any information about rooting phone ( Android 2.2 / 2.3 ) you can do a quick search on XDA-forum or Google.

Now there are 2 methods for extracting the file we need to obtain unlock code, one using ADB Shell(if you use this method, make sure you have installed Android USB Driver first) or using a Terminal App for phone. ADB comes with Android SDK Tools and Terminal Emulator App from market or somewhere else.

Method 1 (ADB Shell)

- Open one instance of "Command Prompt" and go to folder containing ADB tool (adb.exe). (e.g C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>)
    - Make sure your phone is connected to PC and "USB Debugging" it's enabled. (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging [X])
    - The following commands will be executed in "Command Prompt" that we opened earlier:
    Code:
    - adb shell
    - su
    - exit (2x)

So let's understand what we did here. First we run remote shell interactively, grant super-user access, extract the bml5 file to /sdcard then copy it to PC.

The file that we copied to PC should be in C:\Users\~username~\AppData\Local\VirtualStore but you can do a quick search to find it.

Method 2 (Terminal App)

Code:
    - su
    - exit (2x)
    - Close the application.

bml5 -> (BE-EM-EL-FIVE)

Attention: If you run cat command with the path from above and it's says the file doesn't exists or something like that make sure you try "cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img". For Samsung GT-S5570 the files is under /dev/block.

If you get this message when trying to access .bml file while your connected to PC: Permission Denied then try to get your USB card out of Mass Storage mode, so card won't be used by another process.

Ok, so after using one of these methods we have our file bml5.img in our PC if we used first method or on our /sdcard if we used second method. Keep in mind that we need this file on our PC, so if you used second method just copy the file to PC!
    Now comes the part where we need to work with the file that we just extracted. So, in order to get the unlock code we need a HEX Editor, i've used XVI32 Hex Editor to open the file.

Finding the unlock code

- Open XVI32 Application that we just downloaded. Hit CTRL+O and select the bml5.img file that we extracted earlier. (Open the file)
    - At the first look we will see just a bunch of FF's and 00's and random decimals or symbols, but somewhere deep in there it's our unlock code.
    - Hit CTRL+F to open search dialog, select "Hex String" and put the following search string
    FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30
    (maybe the search string won't be the same for all phones, but the one from above worked for Samsung GT-S5570)
    Our unlock code will be 8 digits plain text surrounded by unknown symbols just like in image below.

(I've hited F3 like 3 times, but don't know if it's the same for everyone. Also to make sure you see the code, after hitting F3 make sure you go 2-3 rows up to make sure the code is not above the searched string.)
    (Unlock code can be finded in multiple places in file, so if you skip one searched string by mistake, just pay attention for next ones)

After getting the unlock code, write it somewhere in PC or paper... close the phone, remove the actual SIM Card, insert a foreign one and turn it ON! Wait untill it boots up, insert the unlock code and your done. Now you have an unlocked phone!

Attention: Unlock code can be extracted using a Custom ROM like CM7 in my case, the file was there, but can't be unlocked since the window to insert code doesn't appear(pop-up). In order to unlock your phone you must have a Stock ROM that actually can read any Samsung code and have that Network unlock code window!
    Most custom roms that tries to remove blur break the subsidy lock interface (sim unlock screen doesn't show on them). If you flash other rom and subsidy unlock screen doesn't pop when you insert foreign sim, you will need to flash back stock ROM in order to unlock. So the easyest way for those of you running a Custom ROM, just do a nandroid backup using CWM, flash Stock ROM, unlock your phone then restore your backup. ;)

Useful Codes
    #7465625*638*UNLOCK-CODE# - Replace UNLOCK-CODE with your 8 digits number, then dial. Phone might reboot.

Code:

If you have reached the end of the tutorial and you wasn't able to obtain the unlock code( find numbers like 00000000 / 11111111 ), then it means that your phone it's "Hard Locked" or doesn't have the unlock code provided with the phone. I don't know any solution until now for this problem. For most of the people here, this works flawlessly, for some doesn't work.

If you find this tutorial useful please consider pushing the Thanks button at the end of thread.
    thanks.jpg

You can also send me a beer by donating :) Thank you.
    Galaxy ace

Working on galaxy ace android 2.2.1 :)
    [GT-S5570]

Method 1 (ADB Shell)

Code:
    - adb shell
    - su
    - exit (2x)

Method 2 (Terminal App)

Code:
    - su
    - exit (2x)
    - Close the application.

bml5 -> (BE-EM-EL-FIVE)

Finding the unlock code

Code:

So the easyest way for those of you running a Custom ROM, just do a nandroid backup using CWM, flash Stock ROM, unlock your phone then restore your backup. ;)

Useful Codes:

Code:

If you have reached the end of the tutorial and you wasn't able to obtain the unlock code( find numbers like 00000000 / 11111111 ), then it means that your phone it's "Hard Locked" or doesn't have he unlock code provided with the phone. I don't know any solution until now for this problem. For most of the people here this works flawlessly, for some doesn't work.

thanks.jpg

This tutorial is useful for me. Thanks! But is there an update on what to do if phone is "Hard Locked"? Thanks again.
    Nice work. I will add it to the OP of my thread.

Cheers
    Nice work. I will add it to the OP of my thread.

Cheers
    Nice. Thank you :) i hope it's clear enough.
    Cheers