[VOLVO SCT] Volvo Sensus Connected Touch (car - navi - audio)

Search This thread

donaldta

Aug 12, 2013

The startmenu looks a little bit different (might be SCT "theme"), and on my phone there's an (very handy) option to speak the destination. I dont have that on the SCT, not this afternoon at least. Maybe that's some kind of integration with some google-voice app/technology that's not in the SCT (yet?)?

Maybe I'm just seeing things, I'll try to make a proper comparison with screens in the next days

Well, this could be one of those things where the support components are not installed. If you're willing to experiment then download the zip file I included with this post.

Inside you'll have the libvoicesearch.so and Voice Search_2.1.4.apk files. You'll need to remount /system as read-write via "remount.sh system-rw". The libvoicesearch.so file needs to be copied into /system/lib and "chmod 644 /system/lib/libvoicesearch.so" then you can install Voice Search_2.1.4.apk file. This should enable voice search for maps and various other programs.

Reactions: noten093

xadax

Jun 24, 2013
Thanx for the effort but no, not working. Gives an crash error. Is the command: adb uninstall nl.applab.lovetoload , the right command? It gives a: succes and the shortcut is gone. All should be gone right?
Also I have the same error with Youtube from the market. Anyone got a APK working?
Lovetoload is installable and working fine on SCT (tested by myself), with adb install (and reboot afterwards):
Code:
adb install nl.applab.lovetoload_1.1.apk
Make sure the cache extended by moving the to sdcard with the scripts mentioned in this thread. I guess Youtube will be installable as well.

Last edited:

noten093

Oct 27, 2008
Yes. Only works well Youtube 2.5.16.

Thanx. Installed your APK and it works. Now Play asks to update it. Should I allow this?

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Lovetoload is installable and working fine on SCT (tested by myself), with adb install (and reboot afterwards):
Code:
adb install nl.applab.lovetoload_1.1.apk
Make sure the cache extended by moving the to sdcard with the scripts mentioned in this thread. I guess Youtube will be installable as well.

Lovetoload still not working. I install by clicking on it in Es File Explorer. Still have to try with adb.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Well, this could be one of those things where the support components are not installed. If you're willing to experiment then download the zip file I included with this post.

Inside you'll have the libvoicesearch.so and Voice Search_2.1.4.apk files. You'll need to remount /system as read-write via "remount.sh system-rw". The libvoicesearch.so file needs to be copied into /system/lib and "chmod 644 /system/lib/libvoicesearch.so" then you can install Voice Search_2.1.4.apk file. This should enable voice search for maps and various other programs.

Great. All works. Maps Navigation and voice recognition. But when doing the voice command I have to click in thw search bar and then the keyboard opens. Then I have to press go back. Then I press on the mike icon. Greatest navigation so far but to much pressing while driving.

getiem

Apr 18, 2008
www.getiem.nl
I added the warning message of @donaldta to the OP.

At the moment very busy weeks at work and home, so did not have time to read the rest of the postings thouroughly. If you feel there is anything wrong in the OP or anything should be added, PM me.

At this time, there are still some open questions that I promised to test on the SCT. Maybe someone else has time to do now:
  1. Can we use Asteroid Tweaker, as mentioned by Donaldta almost a month ago, and link is in OP
  2. Can we access all the custom (normal android) settings menu's using the AM commands provided by Donaldta almost a month ago
    Alright, here are all the ones that I've found.

Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.WirelessSettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.WirelessSettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.SoundSettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.SoundSettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.DisplaySettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.DisplaySettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.SecuritySettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.SecuritySettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.providers.subscribedfeeds/com.android.settings.ManageAccountsSettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.providers.subscribedfeeds/com.android.settings.ManageAccountsSettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.PrivacySettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.PrivacySettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.deviceinfo.Memory[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.deviceinfo.Memory }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.LanguageSettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.LanguageSettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.VoiceInputOutputSettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.VoiceInputOutputSettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.AccessibilitySettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.AccessibilitySettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.DateTimeSettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.DateTimeSettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.DeviceInfoSettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.DeviceInfoSettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.quicklaunch.QuickLaunchSettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.quicklaunch.QuickLaunchSettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.fuelgauge.PowerUsageSummary[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.fuelgauge.PowerUsageSummary }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.ApplicationSettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.ApplicationSettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.RunningServices[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.RunningServices }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings }

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# [B]adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.applications.StorageUse[/B]
    Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.applications.StorageUse }

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

donaldta

Aug 12, 2013

At this time, there are still some open questions that I promised to test on the SCT. Maybe someone else has time to do now:
  1. Can we use Asteroid Tweaker, as mentioned by Donaldta almost a month ago, and link is in OP
I tried. Installation fails - window appears incompatible package.

It would be nice if someone can submit the logcat messages for this. We might be able to troubleshoot why it is incompatible.

Here is an example of how to do it.
Code:
$ [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]su[/COLOR][/B]
# [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]logcat -c[/B][/COLOR]
# [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]pm install /mnt/sdcard/AsteroidTweaker-unoff.apk[/COLOR][/B]
        pkg: /mnt/sdcard/AsteroidTweaker-unoff.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY]
# [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]logcat -df /mnt/sdcard/logcat-AsteroidTwearker.txt[/B][/COLOR]
#
Explanation:
  • "su" gains root access
  • "logcat -c" this instructs logcat to clear its contents which allows us to focus on the specific symptom and not everything that happened to your device since it booted.
  • "pm install /mnt/sdcard/AsteroidTweaker-unoff.apk" this instructs Package Manager to install AsteroidTweaker from the SD Card
  • "logcat -df /mnt/sdcard/logcat-AsteroidTweaker.txt" this instructs logcat to dump its contents into a file named logcat-AsteroidTwearker.txt onto the SD Card.
Then you can use whatever method to share the file or its contents.
Here is an example of results from Gingerbread Android Virtual Device:
Code:
# [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]cat /mnt/sdcard/logcat-AsteroidTwearker.txt[/COLOR][/B]
D/AndroidRuntime(21453):
D/AndroidRuntime(21453): >>>>>> AndroidRuntime START com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit <<<<<<
D/AndroidRuntime(21453): CheckJNI is ON
D/AndroidRuntime(21453): Calling main entry com.android.commands.pm.Pm
D/dalvikvm(20796): GC_EXPLICIT freed 5K, 51% free 2726K/5511K, external 716K/1038K, paused 47ms
W/ActivityManager(   68): No content provider found for:
W/ActivityManager(   68): No content provider found for:
D/PackageParser(   68): Scanning package: /data/app/vmdl-67329059.tmp
D/dalvikvm(   68): GC_CONCURRENT freed 1168K, 46% free 5204K/9479K, external 3116K/3891K, paused 5ms+10ms
D/PackageManager(   68): Scanning package com.funky.asteroid.asteroidtweaker
[COLOR="Red"][B]E/PackageManager(   68): Package com.funky.asteroid.asteroidtweaker requires unavailable shared library com.parrot.asteroid-legacy; failing![/B][/COLOR]
W/PackageManager(   68): Package couldn't be installed in /data/app/com.funky.asteroid.asteroidtweaker-1.apk
D/dalvikvm(   68): GC_EXPLICIT freed 764K, 47% free 5106K/9479K, external 3116K/3891K, paused 108ms
D/AndroidRuntime(21453): Shutting down VM
D/dalvikvm(21453): GC_CONCURRENT freed 214K, 71% free 302K/1024K, external 0K/0K, paused 1ms+0ms
D/dalvikvm(21453): Debugger has detached; object registry had 1 entries
I/AndroidRuntime(21453): NOTE: attach of thread 'Binder Thread #3' failed
#

From the above logcat, the problem is related to "com.parrot.asteroid-legacy" which on the Asteroid (and probably the SCT too) is defined in the "/etc/permissions/com.parrot.asteroid.xml" file and points to the "/system/framework/com.parrot.asteroid.jar" file.
Contents of /etc/permissions/com.parrot.asteroid.xml:
Code:
<permissions>
    <library name="com.parrot.asteroid-legacy"
            file="/system/framework/com.parrot.asteroid.jar" />            
</permissions>
So, to get past this error on my device then I would have to copy both files into my device into the appropriate locations with the correct ownership and permissions. However, this is probably not the same issue for the SCT and I would be very hesitant and cautious to replace core Android files from the Smart. But, adding missing files is another condition. ;)

This is the process which I use to troubleshoot most installation conflicts. You can also do similar steps with force close issues by launching the applications by their intent using Activity Manager instead of installing with Package Manager.

Can we access all the custom (normal android) settings menu's using the AM commands provided by Donaldta almost a month ago

Btw, here's a little pro-tip for finding intents. If you want to find the intent for a particular package then you can get a list with this string of commands, "dumpsys {package.name} | awk '/filter/ {print $2}' | sort | uniq".

Example of command string:
Code:
$ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]su[/B][/COLOR]
# [COLOR="Blue"][B]dumpsys package com.android.settings | awk '/filter/ {print $2}' | sort | uniq[/B][/COLOR]
com.android.settings/.AccessibilitySettings
com.android.settings/.ActivityPicker
com.android.settings/.ApnEditor
com.android.settings/.ApnSettings
com.android.settings/.AppWidgetPickActivity
com.android.settings/.ApplicationSettings
com.android.settings/.BandMode
com.android.settings/.BatteryInfo
com.android.settings/.ChooseLockGeneric
com.android.settings/.CreateShortcut
com.android.settings/.CredentialInstaller
com.android.settings/.DateTimeSettings
com.android.settings/.DateTimeSettingsSetupWizard
com.android.settings/.DebugIntentSender
com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings
com.android.settings/.DeviceAdminAdd
com.android.settings/.DeviceAdminSettings
com.android.settings/.DeviceInfo$StatsReportReceiver
com.android.settings/.DeviceInfoSettings
com.android.settings/.Display
com.android.settings/.DisplaySettings
com.android.settings/.DockSettings
com.android.settings/.IccLockSettings
com.android.settings/.LanguageSettings
com.android.settings/.LocalePicker
com.android.settings/.LocalePickerInSetupWizard
com.android.settings/.MasterClear
com.android.settings/.MediaFormat
com.android.settings/.PhysicalKeyboardSettings
com.android.settings/.PrivacySettings
com.android.settings/.ProxySelector
com.android.settings/.RadioInfo
com.android.settings/.RunningServices
com.android.settings/.SecuritySettings
com.android.settings/.Settings
com.android.settings/.SettingsLicenseActivity
com.android.settings/.SettingsSafetyLegalActivity
com.android.settings/.SettingsLicenseActivity
com.android.settings/.SettingsSafetyLegalActivity
com.android.settings/.SoundSettings
com.android.settings/.TestingSettings
com.android.settings/.TestingSettingsBroadcastReceiver
com.android.settings/.TetherSettings
com.android.settings/.TextToSpeechSettings
com.android.settings/.UsageStats
com.android.settings/.UserDictionarySettings
com.android.settings/.VoiceInputOutputSettings
com.android.settings/.WirelessSettings
com.android.settings/.applications.InstalledAppDetails
com.android.settings/.applications.ManageApplications
com.android.settings/.applications.StorageUse
com.android.settings/.bluetooth.BluetoothPairingDialog
com.android.settings/.bluetooth.BluetoothPairingRequest
com.android.settings/.bluetooth.BluetoothSettings
com.android.settings/.bluetooth.DockEventReceiver
com.android.settings/.bluetooth.RequestPermissionActivity
com.android.settings/.deviceinfo.Memory
com.android.settings/.deviceinfo.Status
com.android.settings/.fuelgauge.BatteryHistoryDetail
com.android.settings/.fuelgauge.PowerUsageDetail
com.android.settings/.fuelgauge.PowerUsageSummary
com.android.settings/.quicklaunch.BookmarkPicker
com.android.settings/.quicklaunch.QuickLaunchSettings
com.android.settings/.vpn.VpnSettings
com.android.settings/.widget.SettingsAppWidgetProvider
com.android.settings/.wifi.AdvancedSettings
com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiAPITest
com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiApSettings
com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiConfigInfo
com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiInfo
com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiSettings
com.android.settings/.wifi.WifiStatusTest
#
That will give you a list of the various intents registered to your device by the respective apps' "AndroidManifest.xml" file. To launch the respective intent you would use, "am start -n {intent}".

Example of launching intents through Activity Manger
Code:
# [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]am start -n com.android.settings/.RunningServices[/B][/COLOR]
Starting: Intent { cmp=com.android.settings/.RunningServices }
#
Then the Running Services window of the Settings app will pop-up on the device's screen

However, depending on the Android device some of those intents will be invalid due to missing support files or hardware components. So, the only way to know for sure which work for your device is to test them. This is an excellent way to access some functions that were intentionally hidden by the manufacturer. And in case you need a list of packages installed use, "pm list packages", and it will list all the applications that you have installed by their package name.

Example of using Package Manager to list packages.
Code:
# [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]pm list packages[/B][/COLOR]
package:com.google.android.location
package:com.android.soundrecorder
package:com.android.sdksetup
package:com.android.defcontainer
package:com.android.launcher
package:com.android.quicksearchbox
package:com.android.contacts
package:com.android.inputmethod.latin
package:com.android.phone
package:com.android.calculator2
package:com.android.htmlviewer
package:com.google.android.voicesearch
package:com.android.browser
package:com.android.customlocale
package:com.android.music
package:com.android.netspeed
package:com.example.android.livecubes
package:com.android.providers.downloads.ui
package:com.android.providers.userdictionary
package:com.android.inputmethod.pinyin
package:android.tts
package:com.android.mms
package:com.android.providers.media
package:com.android.certinstaller
package:com.example.android.apis
package:com.android.fallback
package:com.android.gesture.builder
package:com.android.gallery
package:android
package:com.android.providers.contacts
package:com.android.settings
package:com.android.protips
package:com.android.providers.applications
package:com.google.android.street
package:com.android.providers.drm
package:com.android.vending
package:com.example.android.softkeyboard
package:com.android.systemui
package:com.android.term
package:com.android.wallpaper.livepicker
package:com.android.speechrecorder
package:com.android.development
package:com.android.packageinstaller
package:com.android.providers.telephony
package:com.android.providers.subscribedfeeds
package:com.estrongs.android.pop
package:com.android.camera
package:com.svox.pico
package:jp.co.omronsoft.openwnn
package:com.android.email
package:com.google.android.apps.maps
package:com.android.deskclock
package:com.android.spare_parts
package:com.android.providers.settings
package:com.google.android.gsf
package:com.android.providers.downloads
package:com.android.server.vpn
#

noten093

Oct 27, 2008
My app list

Tasker ( boots programs)
Tasker enables wifi at boot
GPS tracker ( booting, track cars' position and message when driving= anti theft)
Flitsnav ( booting, speedcam warning)
FTP server ( booting, to access usb hard drive in combination with Ipad from kids who stream movies from it with AVHD. Also gives me access to the hard drive from home when the car is charging)
VNC server ( booting, access from home)
Spotiy (booting for instant voice function)
Google Nav with Voice recognition
Youtube

fmpin

Sep 18, 2013
Spotify for Android problem

I'm very happy of the opportunity to use a serious Spotify app
That works great ! Much better than the parrot/Volvo one.

But I've a big problem and I cannot understand what happen :(
With spotify you can download the music offline and it was working perfect for a few days, I've downloaded more than one playlist and use the songs offline.
Yesterday in spotify all the chached song were gone ! Like they were never be downloaded.
What do you think ? Some problem storing data to the SD ?

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Can you explain me what do you mean with "booting for instant voice function"? Are you talking about original Spotify or the play store version ?

You mean Maps ?

donaldta

Aug 12, 2013

With spotify you can download the music offline and it was working perfect for a few days, I've downloaded more than one playlist and use the songs offline. Yesterday in spotify all the chached song were gone ! Like they were never be downloaded. What do you think? Some problem storing data to the SD?

Remember that the songs that you download from Spotify are not legally yours. The only reason why you're allowed to play them is because of your subscription which grants you the license to use them. So, it is very possible that at some point that Spotify could not verify your subscription/license and deleted the files. It could also be an issue of switching the mount points around then remounting the cache directory vs where Spotify decides to save/load its cached music. You probably need to get specific answers from Spotify's Support Forums. Unfortunately, Spotify requires a subscription and I've already used my free trail long before I got an Android device.

I can submit the logcat messages and other only one month later :(

Yeah, sorry to hear that. :( Hopefully, someone else can provide the information before that. :good:

noten093

Oct 27, 2008
I'm very happy of the opportunity to use a serious Spotify app
That works great ! Much better than the parrot/Volvo one.

But I've a big problem and I cannot understand what happen :(
With spotify you can download the music offline and it was working perfect for a few days, I've downloaded more than one playlist and use the songs offline.
Yesterday in spotify all the chached song were gone ! Like they were never be downloaded.
What do you think ? Some problem storing data to the SD ?

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Can you explain me what do you mean with "booting for instant voice function"? Are you talking about original Spotify or the play store version ?

You mean Maps ?

Yes I mean maps. I boot the original Spotify from Parrot with Tasker so voice search works instantly.

AAT

Nov 16, 2013
Application Safety Controller

donaldta, please see information below:
This feature is only available on Parrot ASTEROID Tablet and ASTEROID Smart.
For safety purposes, the Application Safety Controller blocks the usage of applications that are not safe for use while driving.
Unsafe application blocking is enabled and disabled based on parking brake status:

If parking brake is set, any application can be used.
If parking brake is released, applications that are absent from the whitelist have their display hidden.

Your application may be aware of parking brake status while broadcasting a specific intent:

Action: "com.parrot.parkingbreak"
Extra: "com.parrot.parkingbreak.status"

The extra to catch is Boolean: "True" if safety is activated (parking brake is released), "false" otherwise.
Example:
Code:
 1 BroadcastReceiver parkingBrakeBroadcastReceiver = new BroadcastReceiver() {
 2     public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent) {
 3         if (intent.getAction().equals("com.parrot.DRIVER_WL")) {
 4             Boolean isActivated = intent.getBooleanExtra("activation", true);
 5             Log.i(TAG, "parkingBrakeBroadcastReceiver.onReceive - isActivated "+isActivated);
 6         }
 7     }
 8 };
 9 IntentFilter parkingBrakeIntentFilter = new IntentFilter();
10 parkingBrakeIntentFilter.addAction("com.parrot.DRIVER_WL");
11 registerReceiver(parkingBrakeBroadcastReceiver, parkingBrakeIntentFilter);
And there are questions... Maybe on SCT similar? If so, how disabling the Application Safety Controller? Then do not need to be whitelist.xml...

Last edited:
Reactions: noten093

noten093

Oct 27, 2008
OBD2 with Android

Apps like Torque can read the engine information. Would be great having this working in SCT. Should I go for the USB cable or bleutooth? I have the two usb connections occupied. usb1= 4G modem, usb2=hard disk. Can I use a usb hub?
Would be extremely cool if I could chiptune the car from Android live in the dash :silly:. But probably these apps run on Windows. I found this app but I don't know if it is compatible with my Volvo V60 PIH 2014

Last edited:

gebla

Nov 6, 2007
Tasker ( boots programs)
Tasker enables wifi at boot
GPS tracker ( booting, track cars' position and message when driving= anti theft)
Flitsnav ( booting, speedcam warning)
FTP server ( booting, to access usb hard drive in combination with Ipad from kids who stream movies from it with AVHD. Also gives me access to the hard drive from home when the car is charging)
VNC server ( booting, access from home)
Youtube

Can you share how your tasker look like? Maybe a screenshot? I love the gps tracker idea. I might be doing the same

gebla

Nov 6, 2007
Thanks for the quick link! I found the app but as wondering what profile you created. Do you have waiting time set between launching each app? Another question is if tasker can change brightness as well. This weekend I was driving at night using Google Navigation and I would love the possibility to reduce the brightness at night.

For people that want to stream music directly from their servers at home, Bubble server and bubble upnp is a good combination of apps. I tried this setup and it did not work with the SCT. The dev of BubbleUPNP looked t the log files with following comments:

The log file shows the cause of the problem.
Your Volvo Android uses a custom network type named "usbmodem" that is not standard at all and identified by BubbleUPNP as neither mobile, WiFi nor ethernet.
That's why the connection to your home BubbleUPnP Server is skipped.
I've fixed it so this "usbmodem" network type fall into the Ethernet category.
This fix will be in the next version of BubbleUPnP that I will release very soon.
It worked with the demo BubbleUPnP Server because the wizard connects to it unconditionaly, regardless of the network connection.

Meaning an update will fix it soon. Using the wifi tethering with a phone should already work! This is great. I have all my music stored at home using .flac. I can now stream that music with transcoding to MP3 to my Volvo and have the same music library in my car and at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: stavas

fmpin

Sep 18, 2013
It could also be an issue of switching the mount points around then remounting the cache directory vs where Spotify decides to save/load its cached music. You probably need to get specific answers from Spotify's Support Forums.

If I understood correctly you men that the operation that can cause the problem can be this operation:
# umount /cache # mount -t vfat /dev/block/vold/179:1 /cache # df /cache
?

Thanks

hoppy_barzed

May 27, 2008
thanks to @donaldta and all for the great work here :)

I have tried the .bat menu. I am connecting correctly to my SCT (either in wifi or USB) with it, but when I launch menu option 1, I get a "file not found" error message on each action.
any idea why?

thanks for your help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Volvo Sensus Connected Touch (SCT) is a new car audio-navi system based on systems of Parrot. SCT has hardware and software from the Parrot, but is not exactly equal. In general it has some more restrictions build in by Volvo.
    The system is based on the Parrot FC6100 (not the Parrot Asteroid Smart as was first believed). Looking at the Installation manual for Sensus Connected Touch (ACU) Accessory, Part Number: 31399165 the form factor is closest to the Parrot Asteroid Tablet (PAT). The only similarity that the SCT has with the PAS is Parrot's custom base of the Android 2.3 branch which is also shared by the PAT. So, if anything is more analogous to the Parrot Asteroid Tablet (PAT) than the Parrot Asteroid Smart. (thanks to Donaldta, see post) (Link to the Volvo V40 (MY14) SCT installation manual, also attached to this post as pdf)

This is how the hardware of the SCT looks if outside of the car (thanks to @AAT):

This thread is research and development on several topics and has already some nice answers:
    The starting questions:
    1. How to get ADB working y
    2. How to install .apk files y
    3. How to root y

WARNING!:
    The below mentioned method is an experimental way of rooting. Rooting your SCT involves some android knowledge. Me, the developers and anyone in this topic are not responsible for typo's or any damage that may occur when you follow these instructions.
    ROOTING means you have complete control over the android system. This also means you can do damage to it.

Security warning:
    The SCT has ADB over WIFI enabled by default. Never ever connect your Volvo SCT to an unknown and/or untrusted network! Anyone connected to that same network can harm your Volvo SCT. The same applies for connecting unknown people to a known/trusted network of yours.
    Security warning 2:
    If your ROOTED your SCT, you are extra vulnerable to above. Anyone with ADB on the same network has complete control over your SCT!

WARNING!

Do NOT attempt to replace the SCT's BUSYBOX executable or the command symlinks to it. Another user in this forum just sent me a private message stating that they tried this on their SCT and can no longer mount USB drives or connect to ADB over WiFi. Apparently, they also do not have a File Explorer or a Terminal Emulator installed so it seems this is going to be nearly impossible to fix and will most likely be required to swap it at the dealer.
    See message from @donaldta : Message

The below answers are not yet completely reviewed and tested. The answers will be reviewed in the next days. In any case the instructions below are delivered "as is" and have no guaranty. If you follow the instructions below, you are responsible for your own actions. So, before you do so, understand, or at least try to, what you are doing. If you have questions or have recommendations, post them in the topic.

The answers and instructions below are constructed from the work of @gekkekoe123 and @donaldta and the trial and error experiments of the first users of the SCT (see first pages of the topic)
    This means everone using these instructions must give BIG THANKS TO @gekkekoe123 and @donaldta

Instructions to root en install apps:

Note: Instructions are tested on specific versions of the Volvo SCT
    It is possible that these instructions below are not (yet) working on other versions: Other continents, newer versions etc.
    If you tested it on a different continent + version, let me know, so I can put it here.

Available versions:
    EU
    -1.47.88 - Tested
    -1.47.96 - Tested
    -1.49.34 Tested
    • One click script version 4 in attachments cmd-frama-menu-4.zip (4.62 MB)
      One-click script with menu provided by @gekkekoe123 and @donaldta
      Oneclick , latest version, script is discussed from here

It is rather simple as long as You have the SENSUS CONNECTED TOUCH and a PC (prefer a laptop) which You need to connect to the same network.

How to:
      1. Preparing
      *Download the: cmd-frama-menu-4.zip from the page 1, first post attachments. LINK: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2636951&d=1395149723

2. Follow the instructions
      The instructions are rather simple.
      -Connect your SCT to the same Wifi network as your PC. This wifi network can be your home network or your local hotspot from your phone.
      -Unzip the (cmd-frama-menu-4.zip) and start menu.bat found in the folder "menu"
      - After starting menu.bat on your pc it will ask:
      Code:
      Input {IP Address of Android Device} or USB:
      Type in the IP address of the SCT, can be found when You go to the settings on SCT -> WIFI -> and click on the connected network (starts with 192.-).
      After that the menu look list this: (Now just type in: 1 and wait a bit so it will say complete, then type in 2 and wait a bit until complete and so on, until step 6 when the SCT will restart itself)
      Code:
      1 - Copy Framaroot files and execute.
      2 - Install remount.sh into /system/xbin and remount as writeable.
      3 - Alter /system/build.prop to ro.parrot.install-all=true
      4 - Install Google Framework & Android Market
      5 - Install rewhitelist.sh/setpropex/patch init.parrot.capabilities.sh
      6 - Reboot Android Device
      7 - Install Android Packages from APKs folder.
      8 - Android Debug Bridge Shell
      9 - Save ADB Bugreport to Disk
      R - Input connection information & retry ADB connect.
      Q - Quit
      Run steps 1 through 6 in order to root the SCT.
      Step 7 is optional and will install all APKs you have placed inside the APKs folder in your unzipped menu.zip folder on your pc PC.
      Step 8 is for manual commands or troubleshooting.
      Step 9 is for troubleshooting.
      Step R is only needed when the connection to the SCT seems lost.

3. You should have now a rooted SCT.

4. Installing applications
      I noticed that lots of Apps from Google Play Store can not be downloaded directly to the SCT (because the SCT is not in the available list of the apps) so a easy way is to download the Applications as ".apk" files from the PC (You can find the desired app from: http://www.appsapk.com/ or http://www.androiddrawer.com/ for example).
      Then copy-paste these .apk files(make sure they do not have any spaces in the filenames) to the folder "APKs" found in the downloaded unzipped folder "cmd-frama-menu-4". To install them, run the menu.bat again and once connected with the SCT again run the step 7 to install the applications You copied to the APK folder.

If you want to install apps using the Google Play Store that are larger than 7MB or so, you need to remap the cache directory to the SD card:
      Code:
      remount.sh cache-sd
      Then after the app installation has finished, but before you start the app, remap the cache directory to the internal SCT memory:
      Code:
      remount.sh cache-og

5. Enable displaying applications while driving (disable safety feature)
      1. Download Android Terminal Emulator from Google Play Store on Your rooted SCT.
      2. Once installed, run Android Terminal Emulator under Applications
      3. touch the screen - the keyboard pops up
      4. Type in "su" press ENTER
      5. It should ask wether You allow Superuser or not, choose the "Allow" option.
      6. Type in "rewhitelist.sh" press ENTER
      7. Type in "reboot" press ENTER

6. Enable Google Maps and Voice Search
      First install google.maps.6.14.4.apk by the method explained above. Then copy libvoicesearch.so to /system/lib and install Voice_Search_2.1.4.apk. These files can be found in Voice_Search_2.1.4.zip.
      Here is an example of how to do this with adb:
      Code:
      adb connect [ip of your SCT]
      adb push google.maps.6.14.4.apk /mnt/sdcard
      adb install /mnt/sdcard/google.maps.6.14.4.apk
      adb push libvoicesearch.so /mnt/sdcard
      adb shell su -c 'remount.sh system-rw'
      adb shell su -c 'cp /mnt/sdcard/libvoicesearch.so /system/lib'
      adb shell su -c 'chmod 644 /system/lib/libvoicesearch.so'
      adb push Voice_Search_2.1.4.apk /mnt/sdcard
      adb install /mnt/sdcard/Voice_Search_2.1.4.apk
      Now #reboot# and Google Maps and Voice Search should be working.

Now You should be done. Happy downloading and drive safely. :)

Older instructions, just for reference here, do not follow anymore.

[*]One-click script with menu provided by @gekkekoe123 and @donaldta
      This one-click script with menu options is here

[*]One click script for version 1.49.34: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50846498
      Actually it was fine (since we are in the root folder), but since I was too lazy, I used your file. I had to correct the "true" to 1.
      I also changed the menu to do this. I removed the set prop option, it's not needed anymore. Setpropex should also work on older versions.

Btw, I did the upgrade manually using adb shell, and did not used the menu.bat.
      So if anyone could test it or double check the menu.bat file, it should be fine. I translated the manual commands back into the menu.bat

My SCT is upgraded and I am able to install apks :) Let's find out if waze lost of data is fixed. Also adjusting screen dpi is still working. But we now have setpropex so we can override everything ;)

When you finished step 5, you need to reboot in order to be able to install apks.

As allways: no guarantee and at your own risk when using the tools

Manual instructions and commands:

1. Detailed instructions how to get ADB working between your pc and SCT
        1. Download the Android SDK, it contains the nescesary tools like ADB.exe and Monitor.bat (Download page Android SDK)
        2. Install the android SDK
        3. If you are using windows: set the installation path of your SDK\platform-tools\ in your windows environment variables. So, add c:\\SDK\Platform-tools\ to it. (More instructions on this point)
        4. Now connect your SCT to a Wifi network and also connect your laptop/pc to the same wifi network. This network can be your home network, or for example the wifi network you create with your phone wifi-tether function.
        5. Go into the SCT>Settings>Wifi and click on your connection details. Find out the IP adress of your SCT. (example, it would be something like 192.168.43.x if you are using wifi tether from your android phone. )
        6. Now on your pc, open the command line (cmd). Easiest is to click with shift-button hold and with Right-Mouse-Button on the folder where the files reside you want to transfer to the SCT (see instructions further for rooting). After RMB click, choose option: open command line here.
        7. Now type:
          Code:
          adb connect $IPADDRESS
          Replace $IPADRESS with the IP from the previous step.
        8. ADB is now connected and you are ready to type the instructions for rooting.
          Code:
          D:\sdk\platform-tools>adb connect 192.168.43.5
          connected to 192.168.43.5:5555

2. Detailed instructions how to Root SCT
        1. Download the cmd-frama-working.zip from the attachments
          Attachment
        2. Unzip it into a folder (example: d:\sct\ )
        3. Open the commandline in this folder
        4. Connect to adb (see instructions above)
        5. Do the following commands (line by line):
          Usage:
          Code:
          adb push libframalib.so /data/local/.
          adb push sploit.jar /data/local/.
          adb shell mkdir /data/local/tmp/dalvik-cache
          adb shell ANDROID_DATA=/data/local/tmp LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/data/local dalvikvm -cp /data/local/sploit.jar com.alephzain.framaroot.FramaAdbActivity Gimli 0
          [or]
          adb shell ANDROID_DATA=/data/local/tmp LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/data/local dalvikvm -cp /data/local/sploit.jar com.alephzain.framaroot.FramaActivity Gimli 0
          See post here and thank developer!
        6. Now you are rooted:
          Code:
          cmd line frama root by Gekkekkoe
          Credits to alephzain for Framalib
          using Exploit: Gimli choice: 0
          Executing Check
          idx: 0 value: Gimli
          idx: 1 value: Aragorn
          Executing Check Completed
          No such user 'root:root'
          No such user 'root:root'
          Result: 0
        7. Test root by command:
          Code:
          adb shell
          su
          id
          On the SCT you will get a screen of SuperSU, asking if shell may have root access privileges. Say yes.
        8. exit the su and shell using
          Code:
          exit
          exit
        9. Reboot the SCT
          If you are still within shell, just use
          Code:
          reboot
          If you are on command line again, use
          Code:
          Adb Reboot
      3. Detailed instructions how to get Google framework and Google Play (market) on the SCT
        1. Download the files for framework and market

Framework
          Market
        2. Push them to your SCT
          Code:
          adb shell su root -c 'mount -o remount,rw ubi0:system /system'
          adb push GoogleServicesFramework-2.2.1.apk /data/local/.
          adb push Market-3.3.11.apk /data/local/.
          adb shell
        3. Now install them
          Code:
          cp /data/local/*.apk /system/app/.
          chmod 644 /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework-2.2.1.apk
          chmod 644 /system/app/Market-3.3.11.apk
          reboot
        4. After reboot, connect the SCT to internet
        5. Open the google market on your SCT (in the applications drawer)
        6. Log in with your google credentials
        7. Accept terms and conditions
        8. Be sure to stay connected to internet, google market will update itself after some minutes
        9. Connect Adb and force SCT to reboot again.
        10. Open Market/Play and Accept terms and conditions again! (now for the updated versions)
        11. Wait for some time, it will again update itself again.
        12. Open adb, force reboot again
        13. Last time open Play (It should be named Play now, since it is updated, if it is not, wait longer and try previous steps again)
        14. Go into My Apps, update SuperSu
        15. After update, open SuperSu from your app drawer
        16. It will ask to update SuperSu Binary, use Normal Method
        17. Say thanks to Chainfire for the SuperSu :)
        18. In settings, you can disable the popup that will ask if you want to run an App that is using root. Can be convenient, but also dangerous (apps can use root even without notifying you.)

4. Detailed instructions how to installation of other apps
        1. We have to enable installing all apps on SCT. Warning, this means editing the build.prop, which is vital to the system. Typing errors can result in a system that will not boot correctly.

More methods apply here, use one which is convenient to you:
        2. Fast method:
          Code:
          adb shell
          mount -o remount,rw ubi0:system /system
          sed -i 's/ro.parrot.install.allow-all=false/ro.parrot.install.allow-all=true/' /system/build.prop
        3. Slow method, more control, moderate risk:
          Code:
          adb pull /system/build.prop
          edit content and set to true. Content of the file should look like this
          Code:
          #TODO Set to false for prod #Package install limitations. Set to false to allow only the install of verified packages 
          ro.parrot.install.allow-all=true
          replace build.prop with proper one.
          Code:
          adb shell su root -c 'mount -o remount,rw ubi0:system /system'
          adb push build.prop /system/build.prop
          If above does not work, use method like the google framework.
        4. Third method: install ES file explorer, use the rooting functions of this app to edit build.prop
          Instructions in this post and this post
      5. Detailed instructions how to install APK files
        1. Method 1: Use google play
        2. Method 2: If not available on google play, use a Google Play APK downloader on your pc and install using the
          Code:
          ADB install
          or using
          ES Fileexplorer mentioned above
      6. Detailed instructions how to make apps available during driving

All apps are behind a security wall of the SCT. When driving >5km/h, all apps not listed in the whitelist.xml will be disabled. To enable your installed apps you have to edit the whitelist.xml
        Warning: it is a safety feature you are disabling now, it is your own responsability when using apps during driving

1. Slow method:
        2. Get the whitelist.xml from your SCT

Code:
          adb pull /system/etc/whitelist.xml
        3. Find out which packages are installed and have to be listed there:
          Code:
          adb shell
          pm list packages
          Other method, look to the url of google play on your pc, see bold part: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop
        4. List the packages by adding new lines with the package names
        5. Edit the whitelist.xml using a smart text editor. Preferably use Notepad++
        6. Copy the whitelist back to SCT

Code:
          adb push whitelist.xml /data/local
          adb shell
          su
          mount -o remount,rw ubi0:system /system
          cp /data/local/whitelist.xml /system/etc
          reboot

Scripted method:
        7. Download script
        8. Instructions in this post

• FAQ
      1. Audio is not working when using application X
        This is a feature or limitation by design
        - TomTom and other navigation apps will break Sound/Audio due to this feature.
      2. If you have more, PM me or react in topic

• TIPS
      1. Use a USB keyboard in combination with ES file explorer or a Shell app to edit files on the system.
      2. If you have more, PM me or react in topic

Informational links:

Information about SCT:
    http://www.volvocars.com/intl/sales-services/sales/sensus-connected-touch/pages/default.aspx
    Official FAQ of SCT:
    http://www.volvocars.com/intl/top/support/pages/sensus-connected-touch-faq.aspx
    Dutch experiences with SCT:
    http://www.volvo-forum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=54935&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

SCT update files:
    http://www.parrot.com/nl/support/sensus-connected-touch
    Current version: All regions - 1.49.34

How to unpack the update (.plf) files:
    Download the plftool
    Basically, download, unzip, and go into the command line, the binaries directory and use the command syntax, "plftool -i -o "
    And please take the time to thank hoppy_barzed for hosting it for us and for loveshackdave for providing the tool to use it.

Linked topic of Parrot Asteroid Smart:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118432
    Google Street View

Alright, as I sit in the eve of the New Year, I will bid you all farewell to the old and welcome in the new. To commemorate this event, I will leave you with a parting/welcoming gift. Attached is a copy of the Google Street View APK. While it does not provide an icon in the app drawer, it does enable 360° Street View within Google Nav (which is apart of the Google Maps version 6.14.4 that's compatible with Gingerbread).

Well, adb install still won't work. What part do you mean?

Euh you have basically full control over the unit now.
    - You can now allow install from unknow sources.
    - you can install google playstore... and Get TOMTOM on it :)
    - See the parrot thread, once you have root

I cleaned up the code. Attached is the working version.
    I will make a version that autodetects and exploits. But thats for the coming days :)

Usage:
    Code:
    adb push libframalib.so /data/local/.
    adb push sploit.jar /data/local/.
    adb shell mkdir /data/local/tmp/dalvik-cache
    adb shell ANDROID_DATA=/data/local/tmp LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/data/local dalvikvm -cp /data/local/sploit.jar com.alephzain.framaroot.FramaAdbActivity Gimli 0
    [or]
    adb shell ANDROID_DATA=/data/local/tmp LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/data/local dalvikvm -cp /data/local/sploit.jar com.alephzain.framaroot.FramaActivity Gimli 0
    Here are all the free APKs from the Asteroid Market available to me for the Smart ...and the rest of them are too large to share as an attachment.

Okay, it suddenly occurred to me that 7-zip can split files to help in situations where there is a upload size limitation. I've split the rest of the oversized APKs into equal parts and included them with this post. I had to append the extra ".zip" extension in order to upload them, so you'll need to remove the extension after downloading them in order for 7-zip to detect them as split parts and combine them.
    OK, I took the risk. Installed the Volvo update this morning. Rerooted (without any problems) and after a second reboot found that ADW is still installed with all my apps.

Happy updating all!