How to Replace your Scratched Galaxy S2 Screen DIY

Search This thread

reubenyap

Aug 27, 2010
I have searched high and low for an answer on how to replace a scratched screen of the SGS2 by yourself and have finally found the answer.

This will definitely VOID YOUR WARRANTY so don't say you haven't been warned.

I suggest you only use this guide if you were desperate like me. My phone didn't come with an official warranty so I was as good as screwed if I wanted a new screen.

Step 1: Obtain the part

Just ebay for lcd screen and digitizer galaxy s2 (however u may wish to buy it with the faceplate see below note). You want both the super amoled plus screen and the digitizer together. You can get this for about 120-130 USD.

There are some vendors that sell just the 'lens' but you need a specialized machine to replace it and is simply not worth the trouble.

Note that if you go to an original Samsung service centre, when they order the part, it comes together with the face plate and is therefore a breeze to install. This part is for sale on Ebay too. http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Digit...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a682b9ad0. I would recommend you to buy this type instead of just the LCD and digitizer.

Follow this disassembly guide (not mine).

Now using a thin metal flat tool with a wide flat surface area, dig at the small gap from the top of the screen and pry the screen from the frontplate. It is held entirely by double-tape so don't worry about any screws, catches. Be careful of not damaging the bezel in the process.

Clean off the old black tape and double tape as best as u can, and be careful of the bottom buttons. The attachment shows how it looks like after cleaning it.

Reapply the double tape in strips and try to shape it to fit as much as you can. This is tiresome but necessary since the adhesive behind the lcd screen is very weak and you don't your screen falling out of you halfway.

Push it in and it should stick. That's it! Then reassemble.

Confirmed working!

Attachments

• galaxys2.jpg
    galaxys2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 18,835
Last edited:

coolfi

Jun 14, 2011
Could a better resolution screen or even 3d screen be used/upgraded later on?

Podgo

Jun 26, 2011
Hope wont be necessary. How did you scratch the screen so hard that it had to be changed? I tought the Gorilla Glass is almost unscratchable.

bruflot

Jun 9, 2011
On second thought, I might as well buy that screen protector :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:
Reactions: kaeXo

Nyssa1104

Jul 9, 2010
Saint Denis
Samsung Galaxy S II 2 i9100 LCD Touch Digitizer Screen

Thanks also full part with bezel here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-G...062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb9ff0e4e

With Housing Bezel front cover ,Home Button, Flex Cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Touch...669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb9ff0cc5
With Housing Bezel front cover ,Home Button, Flex Cable Without Samsung logo

White house soon on site ;)

Last edited:

reubenyap

Aug 27, 2010
thanks for the write up, do you have any more photos of your process?

Unfortunately not at this time. I will do it the next time around (which will be soon as there is a slight imperfection with my button sensitivity so I might be inclined to try it again) but trust me it's not a beautiful process. Needs lots of guts. Nothing technical about it. Shove the flat tool in the gap and keep on loosening the glue as much as u can then take it off.

podgo said:
Hope wont be necessary. How did you scratch the screen so hard that it had to be changed? I tought the Gorilla Glass is almost unscratchable.

It's more like cracked. I dropped it on some rocks from waist height and it cracked. It seems that gorilla glass is not shatter proof. There are also some scratches/mini cracks from where the rocks cut it.

Lesson learnt, get a screen protector that hopefully will reinforce it a bit more.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
I wonder how these replacement parts compare to the quality of the original parts.

psp888

Apr 29, 2010
Is your new screen a Super AMOLED+ screen? all ebay listing just says LCD. Is it original Samsung part?

reubenyap

Aug 27, 2010
It is a Super Amoled + screen (don't see any difference in quality between the old and new one). Most sellers don't really know much of their products unfortunately but they do say it's original and I do believe mine is.

There's no Samsung print on the front plate but it does have a part number which corresponds closely to the original one. Everything else looks exactly the same, even the black sponge at the back and the microchips have Samsung wording on them.

DirkB19

Nov 13, 2008
Dropped SGS2 from bikemount : broken screen.

OK,

I broke my screen this weekend. I was on a bike tour with the SGS2 mounted on the steering bar. For some unclear reason, the universal holder came off the bikemount at 25 kmh... Dropped on the paved road, and although still in the universal holder, which is made of soft rubber (which I would expect to break the fall), the screen of my beloved SGS2 was cracked !!! Apart from the cracked screen, everything else seems to work as before.

So, today I ordered a replacement set with bezel from aliexpress.com at 148USD.

When I get the part, I will try to post some pictures of the replacement process.

I had an HD2 before ... just sold it last Friday :-( ... I think over a period of 1,5 year, I dropped the HD2 about 6 times on hard surfaces ... also it fell off my bike once ... the HD2 never broke.

So, is it just bad luck this time, or is the built quality of the SGS2 just not as good as the HD2 ?

Regards,
DirkB

psp888

Apr 29, 2010
OK,

I broke my screen this weekend. I was on a bike tour with the SGS2 mounted on the steering bar. For some unclear reason, the universal holder came off the bikemount at 25 kmh... Dropped on the paved road, and although still in the universal holder, which is made of soft rubber (which I would expect to break the fall), the screen of my beloved SGS2 was cracked !!! Apart from the cracked screen, everything else seems to work as before.

So, today I ordered a replacement set with bezel from aliexpress.com at 148USD.

When I get the part, I will try to post some pictures of the replacement process.

I had an HD2 before ... just sold it last Friday :-( ... I think over a period of 1,5 year, I dropped the HD2 about 6 times on hard surfaces ... also it fell off my bike once ... the HD2 never broke.

So, is it just bad luck this time, or is the built quality of the SGS2 just not as good as the HD2 ?

Regards,
DirkB

It is very easy to do. Just unclip each component and transplant it to the new case.

buxz777

Jun 22, 2011
I have to do my friends one this weekend as he has dropped it and damaged the screen and the bezel .

I have managed to source the screen and the bezel for him all as one piece .

Now all the guides i have seen just rip the phone to pieces , surely if we have the right bits like i have bought this fix is very smple to do??

I am thinking it is just a case of undoing the 7 screws at the back of the phone , opening it up and then disconnect the screen cables from the mainboard . Does the whole front then come away??

If not i take it i have to undo the screws on the main board to release the screen? but this means the componets of the main board may come loose etc??

Has anyone that has done this got any info on just swapping the screen with the complete part? when i say complete part i mean the one that comes with the bezel and home button etc like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Digit...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a682b9ad0

Thanks in adance for any guidance :)

DirkB19

Nov 13, 2008
Has anyone that has done this got any info on just swapping the screen with the complete part? when i say complete part i mean the one that comes with the bezel and home button etc like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Digit...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a682b9ad0

Thanks in adance for any guidance :)

+1 for me.
I received my screen including bezel.
I've removed the main board just like the guy in the Youtube video.
But now I still have to transfer (from original front to my new front):
- the bottom PCB (where the microUSB sits)
- the camera
- the speaker
etc ...
I can not find a description/movie of how to do this ?
The bottom PCB for example has 2 screws, but after removing them the PCB itself looks like glued to the front assy'.
I prefer to see or get proper instructions before starting the rest of this adventure

PS : I got my part from aliexpress.com within 2 weeks (via airmail). It's with the Samsung logo on it and the package included all required tools (screwdrivers) to do the job. Would be nice to see some written instructions included as well.
Grtz,
DirkB

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have searched high and low for an answer on how to replace a scratched screen of the SGS2 by yourself and have finally found the answer.

This will definitely VOID YOUR WARRANTY so don't say you haven't been warned.

I suggest you only use this guide if you were desperate like me. My phone didn't come with an official warranty so I was as good as screwed if I wanted a new screen.

Step 1: Obtain the part

Just ebay for lcd screen and digitizer galaxy s2 (however u may wish to buy it with the faceplate see below note). You want both the super amoled plus screen and the digitizer together. You can get this for about 120-130 USD.

There are some vendors that sell just the 'lens' but you need a specialized machine to replace it and is simply not worth the trouble.

Note that if you go to an original Samsung service centre, when they order the part, it comes together with the face plate and is therefore a breeze to install. This part is for sale on Ebay too. http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Touch-Digit...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a682b9ad0. I would recommend you to buy this type instead of just the LCD and digitizer.

Follow this disassembly guide (not mine).

Now using a thin metal flat tool with a wide flat surface area, dig at the small gap from the top of the screen and pry the screen from the frontplate. It is held entirely by double-tape so don't worry about any screws, catches. Be careful of not damaging the bezel in the process.

Clean off the old black tape and double tape as best as u can, and be careful of the bottom buttons. The attachment shows how it looks like after cleaning it.

Reapply the double tape in strips and try to shape it to fit as much as you can. This is tiresome but necessary since the adhesive behind the lcd screen is very weak and you don't your screen falling out of you halfway.

Push it in and it should stick. That's it! Then reassemble.

Confirmed working!
    On second thought, I might as well buy that screen protector :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App
    OMG, it's like watching an autopsy. :eek:

I have stomach to watch dead bodies, but not a GSII LOL
    OK guys,
    I did it too, I replaced my broken screen.
    I didn't record a video, as it's not necessary imho. It was a bit fiddly but with SOME practice in related tasks, you'll have NO problems...

First I disassembled the phone as in the various videos. I did that to just remove the bezel, you don't need to remove the circuit board on the back (with all the connected cables).
    Then, remove the cable from the screen (look at the new screen's cable to see which one).
    I then used a hair dryer to warm up the broken screen's glue - that took quite a while!
    Then I used my swiss army knife's blade to remove the screen (not so carefully, i.e. already damaged). It takes some guts since it's quite solidly glued in place...

Finally, I've done it, the old screen is now REALLY unusable (i.e. I'm not sure, if you can remove the display without damaging it).

I cleaned the metal part with alcohol (where the new glue will be applied) but left the adhesive on the border of the bezel intact (since my replacement screen didnt' have any adhesive there)...
    Then I removed the back cover film, protecting the adhesive of the new screen, pushed the cable and connector through the respective hole and carefully applied some pressure on the front (with protecting film on the front still intact). Then connected the screen, inserted battery for a test run..... aaaaand......

yes! my SGS2 FINALLY has a working screen again. phew.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'll try to answer...
    Well,
    Comparatively, much cheaper option i got it here. It would easily save you ppl around £70-80.

parts4mobiles[dot]com ;)

I would post a new link if i find any more :D