[Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98

Search This thread

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
  • Windows: Disable or remove all phone, PDA, MP3 sync softwares, including HTC Sync, itunes, and all Antivirus software and suspend all unnecessary processes.
  • Windows: Install HTC USB Drivers on your PC. http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
  • 64 bit Linux Users: Android tools in the kit are 32 bit. You will need to install ia32-libs (Debian) or equivelent if they are not already installed. Debian/Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
  • Get adb and fastboot working on your PC
  • Start with phone in Charge Only mode, sdcard mounted by phone, not PC, and USB debugging enabled
  • A kit with everything needed (including adb and fastboot) including scripts. vwhk-12102011-c.zip MD5: 26a2dbcb96d82153add7edaccd157996
  • IMPORTANT: Run the Linux script as ROOT, run the Windows script as Admin.
  • Run Revolutionary for S-OFF & CWM if desired after downgrade. http://revolutionary.io/

Notes:
  • No goldcard needed for Verizon DINC2. If you ask this, you'll get nothing but hate.
  • Yes, this wipes data and downgrades the ROM completely.

Code:
adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/*
adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush
adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
fastboot reboot

Thanks to:
Revolutionary - for everything they do
Ch4lky - zergRush
Guhl - misc_version

Last edited:

loudaccord

Aug 12, 2010
Trying now :)

EDIT: I don't want this post to confuse anyone... I missed a step but this worked perfect for me.

Last edited:

attn1

Mar 18, 2010

Dumb question... then I can run the regular revolutionary PRE4 to get s-off and install cwm recovery?

stuck on adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'

C:\android-win-tools>adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_versi
on -s 2.18.605.3'
--set_version set. VERSION will be changed to: 2.18.605.3
Patching and backing up partition 17...
Error opening backup file.

C:\android-win-tools>fastboot oem rebootRUU
< waiting for device >

Can't get past there. :(

what happened when you tried to get temproot with zergrush?

was the phone in charge only mode? It needs be to write a backup file to the sdcard.

the < waiting for device > error is because the fastboot driver is not installed or there is contention with some program.

i missed a step; updated code above:

prerequisite: adb and fastboot fully working.

Last edited:

loudaccord

Aug 12, 2010

was the phone in charge only mode? It needs be to write a backup file to the sdcard.

the < waiting for device > error is because the fastboot driver is not installed or there is contention with some program.

Temproot with zergrush said that it was successful, phone is on charge only mode.

looks like fastboot doesn't seem to be working, I have it installed but I'll have to get to the bottom of this.

Any way for me to test if fastboot is working easily?

attn1

Mar 18, 2010
Temproot with zergrush said that it was successful, phone is on charge only mode.

looks like fastboot doesn't seem to be working, I have it installed but I'll have to get to the bottom of this.

Any way for me to test if fastboot is working easily?

I missed the adb reboot step. check the code above for where that line goes.

Reactions: andybones

Bob-o

Nov 14, 2010
Does this mean alpharevx isnt working on a 2.3.4 root? Is this the only way or just a way if you dont want to wait?

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda premium

JAS_21

Jun 27, 2010
Chicagoland
I saw the tool tweeted by AlpharevX. I wasn't sure if it would work for Inc2. I am already rooted, but thank you for writing a guide for us!!!!

lddrew

Nov 3, 2009
Athens GA
subscribing.

so this is a legitimate way to root the .98 dinc2?? is it restore able to stock or is it permanent? thanks

lddrew

Nov 3, 2009
Athens GA
disregard that last question, sorry i had read that if rooting it with something other than AlphaRevX that restoring it to stock may be more complicated. sorry about that.

thank you for the info

Bob-o

Nov 14, 2010
I know im prolly get flamed for askin this noob question, but how do i get adb and fastboot up on my laptop? I have rooted my fascinate and was good with odin, but im still learnin htc stuff. Thanks in advance.

Bob

knipp21

May 23, 2010
FT Riley BIG RED ONE
I know im prolly get flamed for askin this noob question, but how do i get adb and fastboot up on my laptop? I have rooted my fascinate and was good with odin, but im still learnin htc stuff. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Google it..it has step by step instructions on the website :)

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda premium

attn1

Mar 18, 2010

Bob

thats a fair question, but really, the answers are everywhere. I'll make it easy for you. Check back on post 1. I'll update it.

Reactions: cac2us

skyline247

Apr 17, 2009
Summerville, SC
Google Pixel 4a 5G
attn1:
You, Sir, are Incredible squared!!(No pun intended :) ) Do you realize how many searches and web pages I went through in vain before coming to this workaround. Awesome, to say the least. Thanks ever so much for this write up, it is greatly appreciated, and a beer or two (donation) will be coming your way Friday.
I had to get a replacement for my rooted DINC2, and wouldn't you know it, they sent me out one with the 0.98 bootloader. I thought all hope was lost, well, at least until revolutionary found an exploit for the 0.98. This has helped tremendously.
Thanks again ever so much,
Chris

lddrew

Nov 3, 2009
Athens GA
okay i have the folder extracted in my downloads folder, it keeps saying the script location can't be found. i am confused. can you elaborate on the bits about where to put the files and whatnot before you execute the script??

attn1

Mar 18, 2010
okay i have the folder extracted in my downloads folder, it keeps saying the script location can't be found. i am confused. can you elaborate on the bits about where to put the files and whatnot before you execute the script??

really? open a cmd prompt as admin and run hack-vivow.cmd

Reactions: mcniglet

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    • Windows: Disable or remove all phone, PDA, MP3 sync softwares, including HTC Sync, itunes, and all Antivirus software and suspend all unnecessary processes.
    • Windows: Install HTC USB Drivers on your PC. http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
    • 64 bit Linux Users: Android tools in the kit are 32 bit. You will need to install ia32-libs (Debian) or equivelent if they are not already installed. Debian/Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    • Get adb and fastboot working on your PC
    • Start with phone in Charge Only mode, sdcard mounted by phone, not PC, and USB debugging enabled
    • A kit with everything needed (including adb and fastboot) including scripts. vwhk-12102011-c.zip MD5: 26a2dbcb96d82153add7edaccd157996
    • IMPORTANT: Run the Linux script as ROOT, run the Windows script as Admin.
    • Run Revolutionary for S-OFF & CWM if desired after downgrade. http://revolutionary.io/

Notes:
    • No goldcard needed for Verizon DINC2. If you ask this, you'll get nothing but hate.
    • Yes, this wipes data and downgrades the ROM completely.

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip
    fastboot reboot

Thanks to:
    Revolutionary - for everything they do
    Ch4lky - zergRush
    Guhl - misc_version
    Step By Step Instructions for Rooting 2.3.4 and 2.3.3??

Instructions for Downgrading Hboot from 0.98 to 0.97 on Verizon HTC Incredible 2 (followed by Instructions to root hboot 0.97 and 2.3.3 Android)

1. On your computer, disable or remove all phone, HTC Sync, iTunes, and all Antivirus software and suspend all unnecessary processes.
    2. Install SDK Manager and then upgrade as it requires. Only install platform tools.
    3. Install HTC USB Drivers on your PC. They can be found at http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
    4. Unzip downloaded package for downgrading hboot and extract to C:\hboot
    5. Get adb and fastboot working on your PC
    a. Turn on USB debugging on phone (settings>applications>developer>USB debugging)
    b. Connect phone in charge only mode
    c. Your phone should show up in device manager under “Android USB Devices”
    d. If not, get this working before proceeding
    e. Open command window as administrator
    f. At C:\hboot, type “adb fastboot”
    g. At C:\hboot, type “adb devices”…you should get a device code if the phone is properly connected
    h. If not, retry steps, SDK settings, and file locations to get this working properly​
    6. After you get your proper device code, at C:\hboot, type “hack-vivow.cmd”
    7. Let it run until totally complete (three to five minutes)
    8. Restart phone
    9. Turn USB debugging back on
    10. Turn off phone
    11. At this point, the phone should be unlocked, but still S-ON.
    12. Go to step 4 in Incredible 2 Rooting Instructions (below) to turn S-OFF and unroot phone.

Alternatively to step 6 above, you can enter line by line the manual instructions below which is what is included in the “hack-vivow.cmd” command:

adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot

Instructions to Root HTC Incredible 2 with hboot 0.97 and Android 2.3.3 – Verizon…12/8/11

1. Look for program conflicts:
    a. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features
    b. Check to make HTC Sync is NOT installed

2. Obtain needed files:
    a. Download “HTC_rooting_files.zip” from web, and unzip to your computer with 7zip (note unzipped file location and note that I may have renamed some of the files to match what is below)

3. Install drivers:
    a. Open directory named “1_HTCDriver_incredible2” and run “1_HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe” by double clicking.

4. Set phone parameters:
    a. On phone, turn on USB debugging by going to Menu>Settings>Applications>Development>
    b. Turn on USB debugging. Hit “OK”.
    c. Connect phone to computer with USB cable. Select “charge only”, then “done”. Close any pop-up warning or box that appears.

5. Change phone to S-Off:
    a. Open directory named “2_revolutionary_s-off_files_incredible2”
    b. Run “revolutionary.exe” by right clicking and selecting “run in administrative mode”. (Allow if warned by security program).
    c. Note the serial number on the screen when this command program stops running. Do not close this window! You will need to complete this step by adding the beta key provided in the next step.
    d. Jump to step 6.
    e. Input the exact beta key (case sensitive) and hit enter. Close any popups that appear on your computer.
    f. While still in the black command program on your computer, allow the requested download and flash Clockwork Modrecovery by hitting “y”, and the pressing “enter”. (Allow is questioned by security program).
    g. Your phone should now be a white screen with Revolutionary at the top in a purple box. Your phone is now “S-Off”
    h. With “fastboot” selected on the screen, press the power button to accept.
    i. Jump to step 7.

6. Obtain beta key for S-Off process:
    a. Go to http://revolutionary.io
    b. Click on “Downloads for Windows”. This will pop open a beta key form within the window.
    c. Then cancel the download (you already have the files in the above Step 2 folder).
    d. Put in your device type (Incredible 2), the Hboot (only one choice comes up), and the serial number that shows in Step 5c above. This will generate a beta key to use in the above Step 6c which will complete the S-Off process.
    e. Jump back to step 6c.

7. Reset phone and load superuser files:
    a. Unplug USB cable.
    b. Use volume key to navigate to “recovery”, and press the power key to accept.
    c. Select “reboot system now” and press the power key to accept.
    d. After reboot, go to Settings>Power. Then turn off Fast Boot.
    e. Connect USB and select “Disk Drive”, then “Done”.
    f. Open the drive in your file explorer on your computer.
    g. Drag or copy the “4_superuser.zip_ folder to this Removable Disk. This will put the folder on the mini-SD card in your phone.
    h. Power off phone. Disconnect USB cable.

8. Restart phone in boot load mode.
    a. With phone off, hold “down volume” and “power button” at the same time for a about five seconds and then release. Your phone should boot up with a white screen and text. If it boots to the regular phone, turn off and try again.
    b. Navigate to “recovery” using the volume button and push the power button to accept.
    c. Navigate to “install zip from sdcard” using the volume button, and push the power button to accept.
    d. Navigate to “choose zip from sdcard” and push the power button to accept.
    e. Navigate to “4_superuser.zip” and push the power button to accept.
    f. Navigate to “Yes- Install” and push the power button to accept.
    g. Navigate to “go back” and push the power button to accept.
    h. Navigate to “reboot system now” and push the power button to accept.

9. Install apps
    a. Go to Android Market app on your phone and search for AntTek App Manager. Download and install. When using agree to superuser permissions.
    b. Go to Android Market app on your phone and search for Open Garden WiFi Tether. Download and install. When using agree to superuser permissions.

10. Test changes:
    a. Go to app list and check to see that you have a Superuser app.
    b. Go to AntTek App Manager and try to delete one of the worthless apps (approval may be required).
    c. Go to Open Garden WiFi Tether and start program (approval may be requires).

11. Reconfigure settings:
    a. Go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Development>. Turn off USB debugging. Hit “OK”.
    b. Go to Settings>Power. Then turn off Fast Boot.
    c. Go to Settings>Connect to PC>Default Connection Type, and select “Charge Only”. Then hit “Done”.
    Seriously, a lot of the questions being asked are really too elementary for a development forum.

This is really the heart of the issue, isn't it? People have a choice - they can choose to work to be smart and learn, or they can choose to be lazy and stupid. Stupid people should not attempt to hack smart phones.

This process is dirt simple for anyone with half a brain that does their homework. I am not obligated nor inclined to hand hold people that choose stupid.

Dumb question... then I can run the regular revolutionary PRE4 to get s-off and install cwm recovery?

stuck on adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 2.18.605.3'

C:\android-win-tools>adb shell /data/local/tmp/sh -c '/data/local/tmp/misc_versi
    on -s 2.18.605.3'
    --set_version set. VERSION will be changed to: 2.18.605.3
    Patching and backing up partition 17...
    Error opening backup file.

C:\android-win-tools>fastboot oem rebootRUU
    < waiting for device >

Can't get past there. :(

i missed a step; updated code above:

it's not hard but it's not working for me.

See that says nothing. What happens? What fails? Even if I don't support noobs with this, others may step up and be willing to, but they'll need more than that to go on.

"it no workie, earthquark pending and electric flawed" doesn't help anyone help you.

Everyone who plans to hack their smartphone should read this: http://www.androidcentral.com/sometimes-root-isn’t-answer