Difference between LTE and Ehrpd?

Search This thread

Lyondellic

Dec 30, 2009
Houston, Texas
I searched the Internet and could not find an explanation, but please feel free to point me in the right direction. Sometimes my Ookla speed test result indicates that LTE was used, but other times it says Ehrpd. Is there a difference between the two? For what it is worth, the speed test results using Ehrpd seem to be better than those on LTE. This may be explained by my use of the latest leaked radio though. Anyway, I appreciate your replies and hope you have a great day!

FWIW - I did find a site that indicated Ehrpd is used as a bridging technology that carriers use to transition to LTE. Ehrpd seems to manage hand-offs if my limited understanding is correct. My question should basically state, does Ehrpd indicate that I am not using a true 4G LTE data connection?

Thanks,
Lyondellic
Android Newbie, PC Guru

Last edited:

ctinsley

Nov 4, 2008
Happy Valley
Erhrpd is a software solution that allows vzw to use exsisting cdma towers to pass over packets over to the lte network, the best way to explain it is that it is a bridge between cdma and lte. If ehrpd didn't exsist Verizon would have to either build new pure lte towers or add a ton of equipment to the exsisting towers to make them lte ready, this reduces some of that burden. Ehrpd is a critical technology that is allowing vzw to build out the lte infastructure as quickly and cost efficiently as possible.

So to answer your question It's not fake lte, when your running the speed test and you see ehrpd it is because the packets being sent by the app are broadcasting over lte to the tower and then being switched over to the exsisting cdma hardware which then can be processed in the back end by vzws network.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

Lyondellic

Dec 30, 2009
Houston, Texas
Erhrpd is a software solution that allows vzw to use exsisting cdma towers to pass over packets over to the lte network, the best way to explain it is that it is a bridge between cdma and lte. If ehrpd didn't exsist Verizon would have to either build new pure lte towers or add a ton of equipment to the exsisting towers to make them lte ready, this reduces some of that burden. Ehrpd is a critical technology that is allowing vzw to build out the lte infastructure as quickly and cost efficiently as possible.

So to answer your question It's not fake lte, when your running the speed test and you see ehrpd it is because the packets being sent by the app are broadcasting over lte to the tower and then being switched over to the exsisting cdma hardware which then can be processed in the back end by vzws network.

Thanks for this explanation, it cleared up my confusion!

Reactions: djshotty

skennelly

Dec 18, 2010
Quad Cities

This is a great explanation, but why do we get the option to select either LTE or ehrpd? And does each do?

yguqa4u7.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
Is this part of what is going to allow other vzw phones to utilize volte?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Truitt.Jack

Aug 6, 2012
Phoenix
www.youtube.com
Is this part of what is going to allow other vzw phones to utilize volte?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Ok, this has nothing to do with VOLTE. VOLTE simply stands for voice over long term evolution, and isn't a network technology. All it really means is that you are using data to make a voice call. This uses a Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) service such as Skype.
So, basically, anytime you make a skype voice call over LTE you are using VOLTE. No difference in network. Nothing special.
Hope this cleared up any confusion :)

loonatik78

Feb 20, 2011
To be clear, the specification of true 4G LTE indicates voice service, which means Verizon's implementation of LTE isn't true 4G. When voice it implemented, they will have achieved true 4G. And the most important facet of achieving that is the elimination of CDMA radios in the phones. They are brutally power hungry, however, much longer range than Verizon's current deployment of LTE. I expect the deployment of VOLTE to also come with a robust improvement of the back side to support the load.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for this explanation, it cleared up my confusion!