[Q] GPS does not work entirely

Search This thread

koutheir

Jan 20, 2011
Hello,

First of all, I need to say I searched for weeks to solve this issue. I found no other way than posting a question. I hope someone could help me solve it. I checked the logs using "aLogcat" but nothing is relevant to the GPS. Any kind of help is welcome, I am not asking for a full step-by-step guide :)

* Issue: GPS cannot find my location, even when kept for long periods under clear sky (20 minutes). I tried "Faster GPS" and "GPS Status" apps to debug the thing, but useless. I simply can't get a fix.

* Infos:
Device: SGH-I337M
Baseband: I337MVLUFNE1
Kernel: 3.4.0-1529758
Build: KOT49H.I337MVLUFNE1

* /etc/gps.conf
##################################################
ENABLE_WIPER=1
LPP_PROFILE=0
DEFAULT_AGPS_ENABLE=TRUE
A_GLONASS_POS_PROTOCOL_SELECT=0
SUPL_VER=0x10000
CAPABILITIES=0x37
NTP_SERVER=fr.pool.ntp.org
INTERMEDIATE_POS=1
XTRA_SERVER_1=(a link to xtra1 (dot) gpsonextra (dot) net (slash) xtra2.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=(a link to xtra2 (dot) gpsonextra (dot) net (slash) xtra2.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=(a link to xtra3 (dot) gpsonextra (dot) net (slash) xtra2.bin
ERR_ESTIMATE=0
DEBUG_LEVEL=4
CURRENT_CARRIER=common
NMEA_PROVIDER=0

Thank you :)

Ever since I upgraded to KitKat months ago I've had the same problem. Location is found, but satellite will never fix which means no turn by turn navigation.

I've downloaded every GPS app that exists, calibrated the compass countless times...and still nothing. In that time, I've installed and run at least 10 different ROMs and odined to stock as well.

I'm thinking it's a hardware problem and might exchange my phone for a replacement S4. Searched for GPS/KitKat/S4 problem, but never found anything significant.

koutheir

Jan 20, 2011
Ever since I upgraded to KitKat months ago I've had the same problem. Location is found, but satellite will never fix which means no turn by turn navigation.

I've downloaded every GPS app that exists, calibrated the compass countless times...and still nothing. In that time, I've installed and run at least 10 different ROMs and odined to stock as well.

I'm thinking it's a hardware problem and might exchange my phone for a replacement S4. Searched for GPS/KitKat/S4 problem, but never found anything significant.

Normally, the GPS should be able to fix satellites even without Data (In Airplane mode) and without AGPS data also. But I get zero fixes whatever I try. I am trying to keep the "hardware possibility" a last resort. I am trying to find a software solution to a software triggered problem (the upgrade, it seems...).

Normally, the GPS should be able to fix satellites even without Data (In Airplane mode) and without AGPS data also. But I get zero fixes whatever I try. I am trying to keep the "hardware possibility" a last resort. I am trying to find a software solution to a software triggered problem (the upgrade, it seems...).

The fact that I have done everything possible and it still will not fix to any satellite makes me convinced this is a hardware problem.

However, since this only started when I first upgraded to KitKat (didn't take any OTAs) I'm holding out hope there is some type of fix that we're overlooking.

Any additional help or advice from anyone else would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

koutheir

Jan 20, 2011
I finally resolved my issue :)

Current situation: GPS fixes 8 satellites out of 25 even between high buildings.

Short solution: set the right CSC for your device.
Advice: Always set the right CSC for your device, even if you happen to mess with it (which is arguably your own right as you own the device...).

Long solution:
- Backup your data and your apps. During the procedure, the device !!!WILL PERFORM A FACTORY RESET!!!
- Root your device.
- Open a terminal emulator on the device.
- Type the following commands (let the terminal application gain root access when you get prompted):
$ su
# am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.sec.android.Preconfig/com.sec.android.Preconfig.Preconfig
- You will get a window with a list of CSC codes. Select the one corresponding to your device and stock firmware, and push the button INSTALL.
- The device will reboot, and !!!WILL PERFORM A FACTORY RESET!!!
- That's all folks.
- (Now go mess up things again, and again...)

MAD12

Jul 12, 2012
Ann Arbor - MI

Current situation: GPS fixes 8 satellites out of 25 even between high buildings.

Advice: Always set the right CSC for your device, even if you happen to mess with it (which is arguably your own right as you own the device...).

Long solution:
- Backup your data and your apps. During the procedure, the device !!!WILL PERFORM A FACTORY RESET!!!
- Root your device.
- Type the following commands (let the terminal application gain root access when you get prompted):
$ su
# am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.sec.android.Preconfig/com.sec.android.Preconfig.Preconfig
- You will get a window with a list of CSC codes. Select the one corresponding to your device and stock firmware, and push the button INSTALL.
- That's all folks.

Thanks Bro. Appreciate your help.

HAVOK83

Jun 18, 2012
ive been having gps issues as well and attempted to fix by using the android terminal csc but nothing comes up after i enter those lines..

oldfart758

Dec 3, 2011
GPS Fix

Hello,

First of all, I need to say I searched for weeks to solve this issue. I found no other way than posting a question. I hope someone could help me solve it. I checked the logs using "aLogcat" but nothing is relevant to the GPS. Any kind of help is welcome, I am not asking for a full step-by-step guide :)

* Issue: GPS cannot find my location, even when kept for long periods under clear sky (20 minutes). I tried "Faster GPS" and "GPS Status" apps to debug the thing, but useless. I simply can't get a fix.

* Infos:
Device: SGH-I337M
Baseband: I337MVLUFNE1
Kernel: 3.4.0-1529758
Build: KOT49H.I337MVLUFNE1

* /etc/gps.conf
ENABLE_WIPER=1
LPP_PROFILE=0
DEFAULT_AGPS_ENABLE=TRUE
A_GLONASS_POS_PROTOCOL_SELECT=0
SUPL_VER=0x10000
CAPABILITIES=0x37
NTP_SERVER=fr.pool.ntp.org
INTERMEDIATE_POS=1
XTRA_SERVER_1=(a link to xtra1 (dot) gpsonextra (dot) net (slash) xtra2.bin
XTRA_SERVER_2=(a link to xtra2 (dot) gpsonextra (dot) net (slash) xtra2.bin
XTRA_SERVER_3=(a link to xtra3 (dot) gpsonextra (dot) net (slash) xtra2.bin
ERR_ESTIMATE=0
DEBUG_LEVEL=4
CURRENT_CARRIER=common
NMEA_PROVIDER=0

Thank you :)

Install SELinuxModeChanger app from google play and change the permission from enforcing to permissive. Should fix your gps problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Long solution:
    - Root your device.
    $ su
    - That's all folks.