[How To] Manually enable sideloading

Search This thread

gdanko

Oct 4, 2010
San Diego, CA
First of all, Linux and OS X come with sqlite3 by default. Windows users will need to download the executable. With that said, here is how you can enable sideloading the old-fashioned way.

Code:
[gdanko@dolemite ~]$ adb shell

$ su
# busybox cp /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db.bak
# chown system.system /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
# ls -l /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db*
# busybox cp /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db /sdcard
# exit
$ exit

[gdanko@dolemite ~]$ adb pull /sdcard/settings.db
sqlite3 settings.db
sqlite> SELECT * FROM secure WHERE name="install_non_market_apps";
3|install_non_market_apps|0

sqlite> UPDATE secure SET value=1 WHERE name="install_non_market_apps";
3|install_non_market_apps|1

sqlite> .quit

[gdanko@dolemite ~]$ adb push settings.db /sdcard/

$ su
# busybox cp /sdcard/settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
# chown system.system /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
# exit
$ exit

[gdanko@dolemite ~]$ adb reboot

You should be all set.

Last edited:

aksma

Sep 5, 2008
I think this work on only rooted devices. If that case we have one already which will root it and also side load apps.

norcal einstein

Jan 19, 2009
Bay Area
1) Great if you use Wind'oh!s which I refuse to do.
2) I like to know how things work.

Yes, it's always great to know how things work.

But it looks like SuperOneClick is not just confined to Windows.

It is compatible with:
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Ubuntu Hardy (8.04 LTS)
Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04)
Ubuntu Karmic (9.10)
Ubuntu Lucid (10.04 LTS)
Ubuntu Maverick (10.10)
Debian Lenny (5.0)
Debian Squeeze (testing)
Debian Sid (unstable)
Debian Experimental

Reactions: droiddork

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
SuperOneClick uses Mono on Linux platforms, so most any of the modern ones should work. I used it on my openSUSE box and it worked just fine for allowing non-market installs.

phro321

Apr 27, 2007
Can anyone do this a little more nood friendly? And/or does this require root?

Athailias

Aug 21, 2010
McKinney
If I am not mistaken gdanko doesnt use any of those operating systems. He uses a mac...

Maybe his old school ways will help uncover some mysterious portal into the Atrix that will allow cracking the bootloader...

__redfox__

Apr 6, 2009
I just finished running superoneclick. I wanted to double check that my phone is now allowing unknown sources, but i dont see the checkbox where it should be. Is this normal? Thanks!

__redfox__

Apr 6, 2009
I just finished running superoneclick. I wanted to double check that my phone is now allowing unknown sources, but i dont see the checkbox where it should be. Is this normal? Thanks!

I guess the check box is not added, but superoneclick did do its job. The phone is communicating with the laptop as expected.

marlasinger

Mar 30, 2011
Thank you, I needed this sideloading hack since I've already updated/rooted my phone and couldn't use Gladatrix or aRoot without having to reflash 1.26 :)

------------

edit: Actually it got my phone stuck in bootloader with my configuration (1.57 update and rooted). SBF flashing now..

Last edited:

Spoofy

Aug 13, 2009
Melbourne
Thank you, I needed this sideloading hack since I've already updated/rooted my phone and couldn't use Gladatrix or aRoot without having to reflash 1.26 :)

------------

edit: Actually it got my phone stuck in bootloader with my configuration (1.57 update and rooted). SBF flashing now..

Hey How did you root your 1.57?

Spoofy

Aug 13, 2009
Melbourne
Go to the GladRoot thread linked in my signature below. Please use the search function in the future.

Lose the attitude buddy.
Don't tell me to search, as I have been googling and searching this forum for over a week and found nothing but SuperOneClick which also required me to downgrade.

I probably missed it due to "Last edited by Ririal; 23rd April 2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Updates"

Unfortunately this is still not what I am looking for as I am on 1.57 and am still required to downgrade.

Please have some respect.

EDIT: I'ts also not in the sticky thread ;)
EDIT #2: I just found [HOWTO] Easy Root 1.5.7 using GingerBreak which popped up on the 23rd. WOHOOO, no need to downgrade and risk Wifi issues.

Last edited:

Ririal

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
Lose the attitude buddy.
Don't tell me to search, as I have been googling and searching this forum for over a week and found nothing but SuperOneClick which also required me to downgrade.

I probably missed it due to "Last edited by Ririal; 23rd April 2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Updates"

Unfortunately this is still not what I am looking for as I am on 1.57 and am still required to downgrade.

Please have some respect.

EDIT: I'ts also not in the sticky thread ;)

It has nothing to do with respect, and I don't have an attitude. Relax, guy.

All the information is readily available, all you need to do is look for it. There's several threads on the first page of the development forum (which you found as you're posting in it) that contain the information you need. One of the threads is even clearly labeled: "[HOWTO] Easy Root 1.5.7 using GingerBreak"

So sorry, I get a little short with people who ask questions that are already answered. Don't take it personally. Here's the breakdown:

There's currently 2 methods of root, one is GladRoot, which requires you to downgrade first. The other is GingerBreak, which formats your phone data. Pick your poison.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, Linux and OS X come with sqlite3 by default. Windows users will need to download the executable. With that said, here is how you can enable sideloading the old-fashioned way.

Code:

$ su
    # busybox cp /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db.bak
    # busybox cp /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db /sdcard
    # exit
    $ exit

[gdanko@dolemite ~]$ adb pull /sdcard/settings.db
    sqlite3 settings.db
    3|install_non_market_apps|0

sqlite> UPDATE secure SET value=1 WHERE name="install_non_market_apps";
    3|install_non_market_apps|1

sqlite> .quit

[gdanko@dolemite ~]$ adb push settings.db /sdcard/

$ su
    # busybox cp /sdcard/settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    # exit
    $ exit

[gdanko@dolemite ~]$ adb reboot

You should be all set.
    @Ririal, It was rumored that once you flashed 1.83, you couldn't go back to 1.26 or 1.57........not naming my source of course. ;)

Do you know that to be true? or are you able to?

I can confirm that it is not true. I bricked my phone while trying to replace the framework-res.apk through Root Explorer (learned my lesson lol) and flashed back to 1.57 and promptly got the update notification to 1.83 again and just upgraded and everything was and still is fine.

I also originally updated to 1.83 through OTA, never an sbf (only used for flashing back to previous versions).

So I think its safe to flash back. :D
    1) Great if you use Wind'oh!s which I refuse to do.
    2) I like to know how things work.

Yes, it's always great to know how things work.

But it looks like SuperOneClick is not just confined to Windows.

It is compatible with:
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Ubuntu Hardy (8.04 LTS)
    Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04)
    Ubuntu Karmic (9.10)
    Ubuntu Lucid (10.04 LTS)
    Ubuntu Maverick (10.10)
    Debian Lenny (5.0)
    Debian Squeeze (testing)
    Debian Sid (unstable)
    Debian Experimental
    Maybe the guide is old, but it's an alternative. The point is I already followed the steps and now the phone isn't even starting, keeps rebooting all the time... I'm sorry, but your comment isn't helpful. >.<

It's not old, it's outdated. As in: no longer a valid. My point was that this method has caused issues before. It's a good guide, and no offense at all to the OP, but it's overly complicated and can cause issues.

Your problem is likely because permissions didn't apply properly when copying the files around, which is risky and shouldn't really be done unless absolutely necessary.

Since you have experience with linux, you should double check that the file permissions are set correctly. At this point, your only option (if you don't have CWM recovery installed) is to reflash an SBF.
    Hi, since I couldn't find a way to restore the settings.db file or even use adb with the phone, I decided to flash back to 1.8.3 stock (at&t atrix)
    Everything went fine with flashing, I had no problems with that... the point is... the phone keeps rebooting all the time!!! I really don't know what to do now, please help :(

Added:
    So, now I saw I couldn't fix it with stock FW, may a custom ROM fix it? wich CG contains settings.db file?

Don't use the 1.83 SBF. Flash to 1.26 or 1.57 first. The 1.83 SBF doesn't wipe out /data which is where your problem is.