Media Server draining battery? (MIUI)

Search This thread

thegregbradley

Aug 20, 2010
Not sure what the process "media server" is, but it's draining the hell out of my battery occasionally. I'm taking a wild guess and saying that it may be the new google music beta? But it's only occasionally so I don't wanna uninstall since I just got invited to try the cloud music.

Anyone with MIUI notice runaway media server and found a culprit?

plainjane

Jan 14, 2011
Charlotte, NC
There's something keeping your media scanner running non-stop.
If you use MultiPicture Live Wallpaper, turn off the option to scan for new images. That left mine running constantly, but I did not notice a difference in battery and the power consumption was not very high.

(from... Evo/MIUI/Tapatalk)

thegregbradley

Aug 20, 2010
Interesting. I can't quite place what the hell is making it go nuts, and it's only occasionally and I can't seem to trigger it on purpose. Perhaps some sort of album artwork scan? I'm not using any live wallpaper either.

shayne77

Mar 31, 2011
Gold Coast
ASUS ZenFone 8
Think I've found the solution (that worked for me anyway)
I encountered this on another ROM and tried MIUI-XJ for the first time last night...

It's the "media" (music/video) player trying to download lyrics/cover art for your songs (as I just flashed this ROM last night, I assume this is a one off "task")
Go into the options and turn this off.. I found withins minutes, the phone wasn't HOT anymore, Battery usage dropped from ~60% to about 13% and is still going down...

See how you go...

unit713

Jul 12, 2010
Think I've found the solution (that worked for me anyway)
I encountered this on another ROM and tried MIUI-XJ for the first time last night...

It's the "media" (music/video) player trying to download lyrics/cover art for your songs (as I just flashed this ROM last night, I assume this is a one off "task")
Go into the options and turn this off.. I found withins minutes, the phone wasn't HOT anymore, Battery usage dropped from ~60% to about 13% and is still going down...

See how you go...

I'm actually having this issue with my phone...which media player are you using? Currently I'm using doubletwist, and the option to download album covers is only available in the upgraded version, and the stock media player with CM7 (latest RC) doesn't have that option it seems. Any other places in the settings that I can find these options? Thanks