[ODIN] Desktop ODIN ver 3.07 for use with Samsung Galaxy S III

Search This thread

pinoymutt

Nov 7, 2008
SoCal
First... No need to be such an Alarmist -

Yes the Galaxy 3 has an ODIN counter and a Modification Check which will change to show modified when a Custom Rom has been installed...

Yes it is possible that upon returning or submitting your phone for repairs the person might check your odin count...

with that being said...

ODIN is used to flash factory firmware on an uprooted phone or ROMs, Kernels and Modems on a Rooted phone... SO - if you did not root your phone and used ODIN to flash factory signed tars then there will be no increase in Odin count and download mode will not show MODIFIED.

IF you are rooted, then your phone is already warranty-less so the increase in ODIN count is not going to matter..

Second.... Triangle Away has nothing to do with the Processor... and everything to do with the firmware - The app works on the GSIII and resets odin counter but will not remove modified label. However if you are returning your phone for repair you will have to revert to stock firmware and this will automatically remove the modified tag as also mentioned in Chainfire's thread.

Finally... The USB jig has worked on every galaxy since the first. On the epic touch there was a small modification to the kernel to support the ICS firmware. There is no foreseeable reason why the jig wont work on the US version of the SIII.

With all that being said... its good to be aware of what pinoymutt said... but don't panic and educate yourself before using anything from XDA

Uhh, sorry to have to disagree on a few different fronts, but here are a few items:

1. Even flashing "factory" tars using Odin have sometimes tripped the counter because most released tars are leaks of some sort and may have unsigned drivers.

2. Triangle Away DOES have something to do with the CODE itself, and the code for Non-Exynos processors ARE different. In fact Chainfire himself says (from the Play Store) : "Variants that are NOT based on Exynos processors but rather on Qualcomm or Nvidia processors are NOT expected to work. I honestly would NOT try (until further notice) - examples are the Skyrocket and AT&T Note." The International SGS III is an Exynos phone - ours are not.

3. The Jig does not work for a fact on newer phones and code to reset the counter. Many people found out the hard way in the ATT SGS II forums when Sammy updated the bootloaders. Now that's not saying that mods can't be made to the kernel and loaders -- but out the box - no.

And if you look at some of the work that has been done on the Note, it IS possible to Root and to modify (and ultimately go back to stock) without tripping the counter, but it'll take extra time and extra steps.

Which again brings up the whole point that you mentioned as well -- just want folks to be informed. IF warranty means something, then do your research and flash away. If not, jump right in! :D

Last edited:

Gadgetz

Jun 5, 2011
Yep, looks like I should have mine on Monday next week. I am already working on an overclocked kernel with the source that was posted in here.
Did u PO from Best Buy? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can pick mine up tomorrow, we'll see. Dang man, getting busy already huh? Sweet! Any plans for a rom?

Sent from my MB865 using XDA App

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Did u PO from Best Buy? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can pick mine up tomorrow, we'll see. Dang man, getting busy already huh? Sweet! Any plans for a rom?

Sent from my MB865 using XDA App

Nope, I went to my local AT&T store since I am a Premier customer.

Yeah I am thinking that CM9 should be the first one, I am going to try to compile for this phone.

pinoymutt

Nov 7, 2008
SoCal
Not much to worry about here, as it was already said, you CAN reset the MODIFIED marker, by re-flahing to full stock, using ODIN or Heimdall. Now again your counter may not be reset, but if you are on full stock before a repair, you will most likely not be turned down. I had the first Galaxy and they had some similar way to tell, but by flashing back to full stock, you were usually left alone, and could explain it away, with something like my phone was acting very strange I was getting a lot of FCs, and a factory reset did not work.

Actually a lot changed between the original Galaxys and the newer ones. You may be right and can hide a lot away and there's a good chance you may not be refused an exchange if you know what you are doing. But the newer ones show the count pretty prominently when you go into download mode.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

This prompted me to go check for an updated version of Heimdall (for Linux & MacOSX), but their site seems dead atm...

Did you try again today? Just tried it and the site was working fine from my end.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Personally I wouldpost heimdall as its far more safer and does mobile Odin.work?

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

Someone will probably have to provide the partition structure and some other dump files from our new phones to Chainfire to Mobile Odin to work properly. It's pretty device specific - but he's been a beast about getting different variants to work when he's got the raw materials.

pinoymutt

Nov 7, 2008
SoCal
No one's gonna shut down your thread, pal, but you don't see people standing in front of McDonalds saying "have you SEEN 'Super Size Me?' Why are you eating here???" It's the same thing, people know or will know the risk when the go to flash the device, I'm taking it out of the box and rooting it right away (as long as the directions and recovery is posted by then!), how ELSE am I going to do all the things I need to do?

Been trolling much? Obviously haven't been over to the Q&A thread where less then 24 hours of the phone being in people's hands and already one example of a brick from a bad root attempt.

If you aren't part of the solution then don't be part of the problem. Everyone apparently DOES NOT know the risks, because if this is their first Android or Sammy, it's not exactly posted in this lovely forum yet. This is on track to be Samsung's best selling phone, so there are going to be a whole lot of people who will be first time at the rodeo.

Been trolling much? Obviously haven't been over to the Q&A thread where less then 24 hours of the phone being in people's hands and already one example of a brick from a bad root attempt.

If you aren't part of the solution then don't be part of the problem. Everyone apparently DOES NOT know the risks, because if this is their first Android or Sammy, it's not exactly posted in this lovely forum yet. This is on track to be Samsung's best selling phone, so there are going to be a whole lot of people who will be first time at the rodeo.

First off, I've been on here longer than you have, no need to name call because you think you came up with some awesome reason to be thanked for your incessant warnings.... Second off, so someone bricked their phone, it's going to happen, it happens to devs all the time and they KNOW what they're doing! Don't use that as fuel for this unnecessary fire you're trying to spread! Warnings will be stated clearly on any type of modifications to the phone, if they aren't, feel free to let them know if they leave them out, but quit badgering people on every thread about your fears just because you have a hard time sleeping at night........

The Archangel

Sep 2, 2010
Virginia beach
First off, I've been on here longer than you have, no need to name call because you think you came up with some awesome reason to be thanked for your incessant warnings.... Second off, so someone bricked their phone, it's going to happen, it happens to devs all the time and they KNOW what they're doing! Don't use that as fuel for this unnecessary fire you're trying to spread! Warnings will be stated clearly on any type of modifications to the phone, if they aren't, feel free to let them know if they leave them out, but quit badgering people on every thread about your fears just because you have a hard time sleeping at night........

Wow... "I've been here longer than you have!" What are you, 13 years old?

Tell you what, I've said my piece on the whole counter matter, I'll change the title to be more clear on the other thread for those that give a crap about warranty, and we'll leave it at that so that "I can sleep better at night" because apparently I'm only in the game to get recognition and thanks - and we'll let "real posters" get back to work.

Both of yall drop it! next time I see both of yall arguing an cluttering up a thread. Infractions might have to be handed out.

Last edited:
Thanks for that!

I was about to do the same thing when I finally sat down. Also, if anyone would like to try a post flashing of a rom zip let me know for speed boosts I think it will work as I can tell myself, but let me get the zip for you if you wanna flash something then the rest IN THE ORDER ITS IN! and do this right before reboot... :)

<will post link in 10 minutes adding one more bit to it)

I think WE NEED A VOTE: EVERY ROM FOR ANY VERSION OF THE SIII MUST HAVE A BOOT TO RECOVERY AND BOOT TO DOWNLOAD MENU.....wearing out my buttons, and its sorta a pain in the ass. so yeah make that a STICKIE for any roms developed. haha (im sure most of you agree)

alacrify

Jan 12, 2009
I was about to do the same thing when I finally sat down. Also, if anyone would like to try a post flashing of a rom zip let me know for speed boosts I think it will work as I can tell myself, but let me get the zip for you if you wanna flash something then the rest IN THE ORDER ITS IN! and do this right before reboot... :)

<will post link in 10 minutes adding one more bit to it)

I think WE NEED A VOTE: EVERY ROM FOR ANY VERSION OF THE SIII MUST HAVE A BOOT TO RECOVERY AND BOOT TO DOWNLOAD MENU.....wearing out my buttons, and its sorta a pain in the ass. so yeah make that a STICKIE for any roms developed. haha (im sure most of you agree)

Download QuickBoot - free, and lets you tap to pick to reboot to recovery, bootloader, or restart.

EthanMG

Oct 24, 2010
Golden
can anyone explain what all of the tick boxes in odin do? i searched, quite a bit, but cant find any answers for a few, like'flash lock', 'led control', 'nand erase all', and 't flash'. also, can i tick repartition without loading a pit? and why dont any of the dump options become available when my phone is plugged in? thanks for any help!

JB calhoun

Mar 12, 2012
Somerset, ky
OnePlus 6T
Moto Z4
SU zip

On the GSII the only thing Odin was used for was to flash CWM the first time and then restoring the device to stock. Thats it. Most roms are typically a cwm flash able in my experience.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

hey guys does anyone have a cwm SU zip to where i can flash it in recovery? if so can u throw up a link thanks folks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ODIN V3.07 for Galaxy SIII

1iyc6b.jpg

Warning: Using ODIN can change your bootloader to show that the system is MODIFIED and may increase your ODIN flash count. This may void your Warrenty. There are currently no confirmed methods to reset the ODIN count or remove the Triangle and Modified tag. The current Triangle Away and JIG may or may not work. Use at your own risk! ~thanks to pinoymutt for the warning.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

I am not responsible for anything that happens due to you reading this thread!

In order to use Odin you will need the Samsung drivers:

Samsung USB Drivers (Needed for Odin to recognize your phone
    Drivers from Samsung's Site OR Mirror

ODIN is for Windows users only - For Linus or Mac us Heimdall found HERE
    Instructions for using odin

NOTICE: I am not responsible for anything that may happen if you chose to use the below instructions... If your phone blows up... suck it up... and go buy new one!

Step 1: Download and Install Necessary Drivers
    Drivers from Samsung's Site
    OR Mirror

Step 2: Download and Install Odin 3.04

Odin 3.04
    OR Mirror

Step 3: On your Galaxy S3 got to Settings/Developer Options/USB Debuging -> check the box next to USB debugging -> say OK to security warning

Step 4: Turn your phone off

Step 5. Press Volume Down + Home (Center Button) + Power until the phone boots up to Warning screen

Step 6. Press Volume up once to enter download mode

Step 7. Open Odin3.04 by running as administrator and make sure all check boxes on in the
    Option section are unchecked except for Auto Reboot

Step 8. Plug your phone in to the USB cable and wait for the phone to be recognized by ODIN... When the phone is recognized the first rectangle under the Odin3 logo will turn yellow and show a com port

Step 9. Click on the
    PDA button and select your .tar file

Step 10. make sure no other boxes other than Auto-Reboot are checked and hit
    Start.

Step 11. Wait for the process to complete

MOST OF THE THINGS YOU WILL USE ODIN FOR (IE: ROMS & KERNELS) will use the PDA button - The Phone button is for Modems and Radios only and using it to flash anything else can and will brick your phone - In my time using ODIN I have never used Bootloader, CSC, UMS, or PIT files....
    For those that care about your warranty WAIT and READ before attempting to flash anything with Odin or Heimdall.

The SGSIII has a built in binary flash counter that will trigger every time you flash certain components (like recovery, unsigned kernels) and Att and Samsung may deny any warranty claim if there is evidence you flashed something.

Folks will figure out a way around it, but gotta be patient. If you don't care about your warranty and like to live on the edge flash away! ;-)

And before anyone replies and says "but the international SGSIII blah blah blah...." it uses a different processor so things like Chainfire 's Triangle Away are not guaranteed to work.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Yes the Galaxy 3 has an ODIN counter and a Modification Check which will change to show modified when a Custom Rom has been installed...

Yes it is possible that upon returning or submitting your phone for repairs the person might check your odin count...

with that being said...

ODIN is used to flash factory firmware on an uprooted phone or ROMs, Kernels and Modems on a Rooted phone... SO - if you did not root your phone and used ODIN to flash factory signed tars then there will be no increase in Odin count and download mode will not show MODIFIED.

IF you are rooted, then your phone is already warranty-less so the increase in ODIN count is not going to matter..

Second.... Triangle Away has nothing to do with the Processor... and everything to do with the firmware - The app works on the GSIII and resets odin counter but will not remove modified label. However if you are returning your phone for repair you will have to revert to stock firmware and this will automatically remove the modified tag as also mentioned in Chainfire's thread.

Finally... The USB jig has worked on every galaxy since the first. On the epic touch there was a small modification to the kernel to support the ICS firmware. There is no foreseeable reason why the jig wont work on the US version of the SIII.

With all that being said... its good to be aware of what pinoymutt said... but don't panic and educate yourself before using anything from XDA

Wow... "I've been here longer than you have!" What are you, 13 years old?

Tell you what, I've said my piece on the whole counter matter, I'll change the title to be more clear on the other thread for those that give a crap about warranty, and we'll leave it at that so that "I can sleep better at night" because apparently I'm only in the game to get recognition and thanks - and we'll let "real posters" get back to work.

Both of yall drop it! next time I see both of yall arguing an cluttering up a thread. Infractions might have to be handed out.

with that being said...

Uhh, sorry to have to disagree on a few different fronts, but here are a few items:

1. Even flashing "factory" tars using Odin have sometimes tripped the counter because most released tars are leaks of some sort and may have unsigned drivers.

2. Triangle Away DOES have something to do with the CODE itself, and the code for Non-Exynos processors ARE different. In fact Chainfire himself says (from the Play Store) : "Variants that are NOT based on Exynos processors but rather on Qualcomm or Nvidia processors are NOT expected to work. I honestly would NOT try (until further notice) - examples are the Skyrocket and AT&T Note." The International SGS III is an Exynos phone - ours are not.

3. The Jig does not work for a fact on newer phones and code to reset the counter. Many people found out the hard way in the ATT SGS II forums when Sammy updated the bootloaders. Now that's not saying that mods can't be made to the kernel and loaders -- but out the box - no.

And if you look at some of the work that has been done on the Note, it IS possible to Root and to modify (and ultimately go back to stock) without tripping the counter, but it'll take extra time and extra steps.

Which again brings up the whole point that you mentioned as well -- just want folks to be informed. IF warranty means something, then do your research and flash away. If not, jump right in! :D