[Q] Signal drops when on a call with any kitkat rom

Search This thread

timekillerj

Sep 18, 2008
I am having a weird issue with my S4 running any Rom past 4.2. When I make a call, the signal indicator changes to the circle with a line through it. The call stays connected, but no data transfer is possible. Any attempt to access the internet results in an error. But the call stays connected just fine. Once I end the call the signal eventually comes back and I can use the phone as normal. If I try to make a call before the signal comes back I get an error (even though I was just on the phone). Rebooting the phone seems to make the signal come back faster.

Any 4.2 rom does not have this issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

timekillerj

Sep 18, 2008
Somehow the new baseband has made things MUCH worse. The phone is completely unusable now. It is EXTREMELY laggy. no sounds from screen touches at all. It didn't even do the t-mobile jingle on boot. When I try to make a phone call, the other phone rings before the S4 leaves the "dialing" screen. Talking doesn't work, no voice gets through in either direction. I would never expect this from a modem flash.

I can confirm on the about screen the new baseband is M919UVUFNB4

I tried wiping the phone, thinking somehow it needed to "start fresh" with the new modem. That did not help. Then I tried reflashing Fenny's 4.4.2 Stock ROM (same rom I was running before). Nothing helps.

What the heck is going on?!?

Kriptik210

May 21, 2013
Crystal River
Somehow the new baseband has made things MUCH worse. The phone is completely unusable now. It is EXTREMELY laggy. no sounds from screen touches at all. It didn't even do the t-mobile jingle on boot. When I try to make a phone call, the other phone rings before the S4 leaves the "dialing" screen. Talking doesn't work, no voice gets through in either direction. I would never expect this from a modem flash.

I tried wiping the phone, thinking somehow it needed to "start fresh" with the new modem. That did not help. Then I tried reflashing Fenny's 4.4.2 Stock ROM (same rom I was running before). Nothing helps.

What all did you do?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010

Sounds like you installed the NB4 LTE modem as well. (NON-HLOS) i think is the name. You only need to instal the actual modem as the LTE modem will do exactly what you are experiencing :)

timekillerj

Sep 18, 2008
Sounds like you installed the NB4 LTE modem as well. (NON-HLOS) i think is the name. You only need to instal the actual modem as the LTE modem will do exactly what you are experiencing :)

You are exactly right. The modem tarball I downloaded had both, so I flashed both (woops!). I just finally got myself sorted out. Had to flash back to factory 4.2, re-root, install TWRP, re-flash 4.4.2, then flash the modem.bin (several times before it took). But! All my problems are resolved.

Thanks for the help guys.

vlad2277

Nov 19, 2009
Brooklyn
You are exactly right. The modem tarball I downloaded had both, so I flashed both (woops!). I just finally got myself sorted out. Had to flash back to factory 4.2, re-root, install TWRP, re-flash 4.4.2, then flash the modem.bin (several times before it took). But! All my problems are resolved.

Thanks for the help guys.

If you don't mind can you share which modem ad rom you flash?
How's battery and signal compared to 4.2.2 with MDL modem?
Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

timekillerj

Sep 18, 2008
If you don't mind can you share which modem ad rom you flash?
How's battery and signal compared to 4.2.2 with MDL modem?
Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Flashed the modem previously linked in this thread, and Fenny's 4.4.2 stock rooted rom. Can't really compare battery/signal because I just flashed it, and it's my wife's phone. She got it when I got the S5 :)

Top Liked Posts