[GUIDE]Compile from CM7 Source (Kanged) Ubuntu 11.10 - 12/31/2011

Search This thread

tennandcoz1

Feb 28, 2011
I dont think they were trying to hate.Just think they feel some people would try this and brick.just looking out.But in saying that it was strong and could have been handled better.Everyone please lets turn this **** around.We have a great phone,lets show the world.peace

From a glaxay better than yours.

Royalknight6190

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 22, 2009
Chandler
what you dont know is he didnt compile that cm7 build. its slayhers build.

Correct some of it is Slayhers build but not all of it. I used some of his files to make it boot and work. But that is what open source is all about helping each other out. Sharing is Caring.....Guess what Everybody has stolen, here I will use the dumbest word in Android dictionary Kanged code from Google, HTC, Samsung,..etc and you dont see people giving them credit nor sending them letters asking for permission. Its the same thing. People get to damn up tight about the entire thing of you took that from me, Developers should be flattered that somebody has used there work, but instead people get to cocky and big headed about the entire thing that they turn into big D-Bags. Android started out being fun for everyone and now its just stupid. Hence why we have lost so many good Devs because they are trying to do something they think is fun and they love and others just beat them down its freaking stupid. People need to grow up.

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
what you dont know is he didnt compile that cm7 build. its slayhers build.

Not the build , just proprietary files according to the OP. I'm new to the entire idea of building android but am eager to learn. If you look at my post history in XDA I generally help others ..... not bash them. Long time member here ........ things aren't like they used to be around here. I understand why certain Devs have left in lui of other places ( actual kernel devs too mind you..... not repackagers)

Lets be productive and help fix this thread before it gets too off topic. If you know and personally compile by source , tell the man how / what to fix .... not be an a$$ about it. A thread like this could be invaluable for others to learn from.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Correct some of it is Slayhers build but not all of it. I used some of his files to make it boot and work. But that is what open source is all about helping each other out. Sharing is Caring.....Guess what Everybody has stolen, here I will use the dumbest word in Android dictionary Kanged code from Google, HTC, Samsung,..etc and you dont see people giving them credit nor sending them letters asking for permission. Its the same thing. People get to damn up tight about the entire thing of you took that from me, Developers should be flattered that somebody has used there work, but instead people get to cocky and big headed about the entire thing that they turn into big D-Bags. Android started out being fun for everyone and now its just stupid. Hence why we have lost so many good Devs because they are trying to do something they think is fun and they love and others just beat them down its freaking stupid. People need to grow up.

just like in all the pm's youve sent me, your making it something its not. we just wanted to make sure people understood that this tutorial is not for this phone and not to try it.

Royalknight6190

Aug 22, 2009
Chandler
just like in all the pm's youve sent me, your making it something its not. we just wanted to make sure people understood that this tutorial is not for this phone and not to try it.

Like I said in the PM's people can use this for this phone it will give them a good start on something. Are they going to have to find other work arounds to get it to work yes. But its a good start. Also if people like me have other phones then they can use it to start working on those phones. They just need to change the manufacture name and the device name.

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Like I said in the PM's people can use this for this phone it will give them a good start on something. Are they going to have to find other work arounds to get it to work yes. But its a good start. Also if people like me have other phones then they can use it to start working on those phones. They just need to change the manufacture name and the device name.

dude, why is it not sinking in to your head? this does absolutely NOTHING to help anyone compile cm7 for our device.

Romanbb

Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
aokp.co
The point is, you cannot build CM7 for the SGH-T989 through source.

Call me a douchebag all you like, it still doesn't change the facts.

Your intentions are good, but this guide is misleading. Sharing IS caring, but sources are closed for msm8660 devices and someone following this guide would potentially flash Exynos builds to their phone.

Edit: Also calling me a douchebag is very warranted. My post was a little more hostile than intended

Last edited:

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
I'm hoping post 2 gets completed personally as I've been setting up my aosp build server. :) I am a "noob" developer to android and have already found the first post helpful as far as packages are concerned. Hopefully between this and filling gaps w/ other developers I can make a built from scratch rom myself rather than a "Tmobile" based rom like the others

Last edited:

Romanbb

Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
aokp.co
I'm hoping post 2 gets completed personally as I've been setting up my aosp build server. :) I am a "noob" developed to android and have already found the first post helpful as far as packages are concerned. Hopefully between this and filling g also w/ other developers I can make a built from scratch rom myself rather than a "Tmobile" based rom like the others

The best resources:

v8dreaming

Aug 15, 2010
N. Las Vegas
I know nothing about developing, but this will help out a lot. While I know that CM7/9 is not open source yet, for this phone, when it is, I look forward to using this.

I know there is more to being a dev than just the op. It still helps.

mikeyman77

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 5, 2008
The att version of the galaxy 2 is not an exact mirror of the tmo galaxy 2.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

Royalknight6190

Aug 22, 2009
Chandler

Your intentions are good, but this guide is misleading. Sharing IS caring, but sources are closed for msm8660 devices and someone following this guide would potentially flash Exynos builds to their phone.

Edit: Also calling me a douchebag is very warranted. My post was a little more hostile than intended

Dude my respect of you just went up that's big of you thanks. And I am sorry if I was I guess misleading. But in all the thread will help people. I have changed a few things in the OP. Thanks again.

Sent from the DARKSIDE

Royalknight6190

Aug 22, 2009
Chandler
Unless TeamDouche open source their CM7/9 repos for this device, you can't have a complete build using this guide.

The guide itself is nice and lowers the entry barriers for many noob developers and enthusiasts but again, you CANNOT build a working CM7 for this particular device.

Thanks Faux glad to see you around still. Not sure what happened between you and CK but I know I always enjoyed working with you bro.

Sent from the DARKSIDE

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
Last edited:

jim93

Oct 18, 2011

I need to emphasize my respect for your good attitude in all situations.
The large amount of territoriality is detriment to the community for sure. If a dev had an idea of how to fix all the bugs in a rom there is no real incentive to do so because even if he did use it as a base he would just get accused of "kanging". This is partly responsible why buggy roms hang around in the forums unfixed. If everything was all truly open source than bugs could be fixed much faster. There is so much red tape for something which ultimately is supposed to be open source.

tweak.

Feb 1, 2011
Denver
www.evilemp1re.com
taken from the cyanogenmod widget that comes on everyone's homescreen on a CM7 build. page 12:

Kang [kayng] - (verb)
upgraded my winzip br0. Thanks to my patient lady putting up with my devvin.

MyTruck.jpg

Last edited:

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
I just want everyone to know I wasn't trying to be a **** to royalknight. I appreciate everything he's brought over I just wanted it to be clear that cm7 is not an option for anyone unless you have access to the private stuffz. Hope everyone has a good safe new year.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

chubb16

Nov 25, 2010
delete this thread... what a waste of time

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Re-Branding and changing themes on other people's work, even samsung, is not being a android developer. Find another way to fool people into giving you money on the internet.

bhowanidin

Apr 21, 2011
Wesley Chapel
delete this thread... what a waste of time

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Re-Branding and changing themes on other people's work, even samsung, is not being a android developer. Find another way to fool people into giving you money on the internet.

He never asked for money, troll. What have you posted in this or any DEV forum again?

Sent from my Juggernaut SGSII or my "Galaxy Tasked" 10.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you want to have a working T-Mobile Galaxy S2 I advise you not to follow this guide.

Source for MSM_8660 devices (read: our phones) is not open source and you can not build it yourself. An official member of the CyanogenMod team can build it as they have access to these sources.

This guide may work for the AT&T Galaxy S2 (not the Skyrocket), but it will sure as hell not work for this phone.

Also, it looks like you just took the tutorial from the CM wiki and formatted it for the forums and mixed in some of the tutorial from s.android.com... what have you actually added to this?

Good day, sir.
    *WARNING! I Am Not Responsible For Anything That Happens To Your Device or Computer*
    Here is another Gift from the DARKSIDE Dev Team:

Compiling CM from Source
    Thank you to Sparksco for building a great base tutorial that I used help build this.
    Original Thread Found Here

Updated info for non-debian based systems thanks to Vicodan:
    If you want to use this on fedora or non-debian based systems you will need to replace every command that says apt-get to yum. Thanks to Vicodan for pointing this out.

*Note: Not currently working on Tmobile Hercules, for learning purposes only until source is out for our device​

If you can add anything let me know and I will add to this or edit the tutorial, 2nd post will be for building from Google Source AOSP.​

Hardware Requirements:

- A minimum dual core pc, the more ram the better
    - A working wifi connection or network connection
    - Linux Operating System. Either 32-bit or 64-bit will work
    NOTE: 64-bit will run faster and you need 64bit to build Android 2.3 +
    You also need full access to CM source but CM is hording those

Black Bold Print = Instructions

Red Bold Print = Terminal Code

Italic Font = Misc. Details

Optional Recommended Software:

Many of these can be found in the software center using the search box
    If you find multiple versions it's ok to install them all, unless it says
    otherwise

Python
    Open the terminal application and type

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ sudo apt-get install python[/B][/COLOR]

awk and gawk
    7zip
    RAR

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ sudo apt-get install rar[/B][/COLOR]

Step 1 java:

Setting up java is one of the most important step to getting your pc prepared for a build environment. Truly this step is whatever is going to work best on your system, I do it this way and you can try it whichever way you want. Take my advise or not.

NOTE: On Ubuntu 11.10, and variants, you need to enable the
    parter repository to install sun-java6-jdk:

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ maverick partner"

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk[/B][/COLOR]

then do

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ sudo apt-get install -y git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev pngcrush schedtool g++-multilib lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline5-dev gcc-4.3-multilib g++-4.3-multilib

$ java -version[/B][/COLOR]

The correct version is:

java -version
    java version "1.6.0_26"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)
    You must have a 1.6.x to compile on the gingerbread branch of cyanogenmod. If you have the correct

Step 2 - Install git

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"][B]$ sudo apt-get install git[/B][/COLOR]

Step 3 - Prepare the Build Environment

NOTE: You only need to do these steps the first time you build.
    If you previously prepared your build environment, skip to Copy
    proprietary files.

3a - Install the ADB

To let Samsung Galaxy S2 be recognised by the debugger add these lines to 92-samsung.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ sudo gedit 92-samsung.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d[/B][/COLOR]

paste

Code:
    [B]SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04e8",
    ATTRS{idProduct}=="6640", MODE="0660", OWNER="root",
    GROUP="androiddev", SYMLINK+="android%n"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", MODE="0666"[/B]

save and exit

$ sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

paste

Code:
    [B]SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0502", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="12d1", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1004", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="22b8", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04e8", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0fce", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0489", MODE="0666"
    SUBSYSTEM==”usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==”18d1″, SYMLINK+=”android_adb”, MODE=”0666″
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04e8", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"[/B]

save and exit

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ sudo gedit .bashrc[/B][/COLOR]

paste at the top

Code:
    [B]#AndroidDev PATH
    export PATH=${PATH}:~/androidsdk/tools
    export PATH=${PATH}:~/androidsdk/platform-tools[/B]

save and exit

Now to Install the SDK, be prepared this takes some time:

Go to Android Developers SDK Download Found Here - Link
    or
    Download directly from This Link - Download Link

Once done extract the contents to your home folder, then rename it to androidsdk.

Once extracted and renamed go to /androidsdk/tools and double click the file android and click run in terminal.

Android SDK updater will pop up, select the option New and start the upgrade. Now wait. When finished do new one more time to make sure you got everything, once done close SDK window and terminal window.

3b - Install the Build Packages
    Install using the package manager of your choice:

For 32-bit & 64-bit systems:

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev sun-java6-jdk pngcrush schedtool[/B][/COLOR]

For 64-bit only systems:

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ sudo apt-get install g++-multilib lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline-gplv2-dev gcc-multilib g++-multilib[/B][/COLOR]

4a - Create the Directories

You will need to set up some directories in your build environment.
    To create them:

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ mkdir -p ~/bin

$ mkdir -p ~/android/system[/B][/COLOR]

4b - Install the Repository

Enter the following to download make executable the "repo" binary:

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ curl https://raw.github.com/android/tools_repo/master/repo > ~/bin/repo

$ chmod a+x ~/bin/repo[/B][/COLOR]

NOTE: You may need to reboot for these changes to take effect.
    Now enter the following to initialize the repository, repo sync will take a long time so sit back and watch the code on terminal scroll, dont touch it, toss in Star Wars Saga or Lord of the Rings Trilogy and watch from start to finish and it might be done:

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ cd ~/android/system/

$ repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b gingerbread --repo-url=git://github.com/android/tools_repo.git

$ repo sync[/B][/COLOR]

4c - Copy proprietary files

NOTE: This only needs done the first time you build. If you have
    already done these steps, you may skip to Download RomManager.
    You will need to have a speedy with a working copy of CyanogenMod
    install and ADB working on the computer. This script will copy the
    proprietary files from the device.
    Connect the device to the computer and ensure that ADB is working
    properly.[/B]

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ cd ~/android/system/device/samsung/(DEVICE NAME)

./extract-files.sh[/B][/COLOR]

4d - Download RomManager

NOTE: This only needs to be done when an update to
    RomManager is released. If you are-up-to date, you may skip to Building
    CyanogenMod. Download RomManager which is needed by the build:

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ ~/android/system/vendor/cyanogen/get-rommanager[/B][/COLOR]

5a - Building CyanogenMod

Check for updates
    First, check for updates in the source:

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ cd ~/android/system/

$ repo sync

$ cp build/core/root.mk -f Makefile[/B][/COLOR]

5b - Set up your Compiler
    This is optional but helpful for kernel compiling

There are a lot of things that need to be added to the .bashrc to let your
    pc know about which type of compiler you want to use. The best way is
    to use the one provided in the CM7 work tree.

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]#Android

export ARCH=arm

export CCOMPILE=$CROSS_COMPILE

export PATH=$PATH:~/android/system/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin[/B][/COLOR]

6 - Configure Build & Compile
    Now, the environment must be configured to build and the ROM
    compiled, from code, for the GalaxyS2.

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B]$ . build/envsetup.sh && brunch (DEVICE NAME)[/B][/COLOR]

7 - Install

Copy your .zip file from

~/android/system/out/target/product/galaxys2att/update.cm-XXXXX-
    signed.zip to the root of the SD card.
    Optional: Download Google Apps for CyanogenMod 7 and place it on the
    root of the SD card.
    Flash both of these .zip files from recovery.

Unless TeamDouche open source their CM7/9 repos for this device, you can't have a complete build using this guide.

The guide itself is nice and lowers the entry barriers for many noob developers and enthusiasts but again, you CANNOT build a working CM7 for this particular device.
    _Thursday is a stand up person and a great dev XDA should be ashamed of themselvs. They are losing all there great devs for stupidity. He has been a great help to me by giving me advise and helping me with issues. He is not just a great Dev but a great person also. We have had great talks on Gtalk. He is proper and polite and that is what XDA needs but instead they ban the good polite devs and keep the arogant, cocky, and big headed devs. Bad move XDA. What happened to you XDA you used to be such a great site and now your turning into something that is being more like a dictatorship. _Thursday helped this forum out by bringing great roms to us and then he gets banned yes he was a person that was previously banned but that was a mistake also. His thread was proper and not bashing he kept it clean and nice and did not act out nor flame in it. XDA just loss one of there great devs. This phone loss a great dev we should all moran the loss of __THURSDAY AKA Master&Slave. I for one am thinking hard of bringing my roms to another site XDA is just not what it used to be to many cry baby arrogant bastards. Seems like junior high all over again.

...:†:...Dewizzed...:†:...