[HOW-TO] Stop using the on/off switch and volume rocker

Search This thread

tobnddl

Jul 13, 2008
Atlanta
My power and volume buttons feel pretty rickety, but given the product return horror stories documented here, I did not want to play roulette for what I would consider a minor concern. Outside of buying a dock, which I don't really want, I could not find a reliable "one size fits all" app solution to provide similar functionality, but with the combined efforts of these three free apps, I have captured the full functionality of the hard buttons, with little or no battery cost. If you have a better app selection, please suggest it below. I have no ties to the developers of the apps listed below, and none of these apps require root or an unlocked bootloader.

Turn off the Lights - I wanted to be able to shut off the screen quickly, and without a fuss. Most of the automatic solutions rely on the light sensor, but I could not find one with that worked well in low light. Since I use my tablet to read in bed, I had to forego the use of the light sensor, and rely simply on a soft button. It works, 'nuff said.

Volume Control Widget - This is a basic app that allows you to create volume slider widgets to control notification, alarm, and media volumes. I really only need control over media volume on a regular basis, so a basic slider widget fit the bill nicely.

Awesome On Off - Of all the solutions, I would consider this the weak link in this list. I like the app, but it relies on the gyro to give the order to turn the screen on. As you can imagine, carrying the tablet can lead to false "ons". For this reason, I set the set the "turn on angle" to require a pretty good movement from horizontal to turn on, and I did not have the app bypass the lock screen, which I have set to turn off very quickly if no unlock slide is made. In this way, the batter drain from false "ons" is somewhat mitigated.

nramprabhu

Mar 20, 2006
Dublin , CA
My power and volume buttons feel pretty rickety, but given the product return horror stories documented here, I did not want to play roulette for what I would consider a minor concern. Outside of buying a dock, which I don't really want, I could not find a reliable "one size fits all" app solution to provide similar functionality, but with the combined efforts of these three free apps, I have captured the full functionality of the hard buttons, with little or no battery cost. If you have a better app selection, please suggest it below. I have no ties to the developers of the apps listed below, and none of these apps require root or an unlocked bootloader.

Turn off the Lights - I wanted to be able to shut off the screen quickly, and without a fuss. Most of the automatic solutions rely on the light sensor, but I could not find one with that worked well in low light. Since I use my tablet to read in bed, I had to forego the use of the light sensor, and rely simply on a soft button. It works, 'nuff said.

Volume Control Widget - This is a basic app that allows you to create volume slider widgets to control notification, alarm, and media volumes. I really only need control over media volume on a regular basis, so a basic slider widget fit the bill nicely.

Awesome On Off - Of all the solutions, I would consider this the weak link in this list. I like the app, but it relies on the gyro to give the order to turn the screen on. As you can imagine, carrying the tablet can lead to false "ons". For this reason, I set the set the "turn on angle" to require a pretty good movement from horizontal to turn on, and I did not have the app bypass the lock screen, which I have set to turn off very quickly if no unlock slide is made. In this way, the batter drain from false "ons" is somewhat mitigated.

I exchanged my Prime for the TF700 in BB last month , I started feeling my power switch extremely rickety . Took it to BB but denied Exchange or return saying that nothing is wrong , Power switch is exactly like that even in the brand new TF700. Eventhough i was within my 60 days return window ( Silver Pre member) they denied me the return .

Coming back to the topic , I am using Screen Off to switch off the screen and Awesome On off to switch back on . Only problem is Awesome On/Off keep preventing the tablet from going into deep sleep. Need to play around with settings ...

Last edited:
Reactions: ailai55 and tobnddl

tobnddl

Jul 13, 2008
Atlanta
First off, screw Best Buy, and second, it is interesting that a rickety volume switch is not cause for return. That's a real bummer for the money that we all have paid. Generally speaking, I am very happy with the hardware, but when I hit buttons/volume on my wife's ipad 3, they have a more secure feel, like they will still work after 10,000 presses. I don't get that same fuzzy feeling with our tablet, but I guess that's life. How are you monitoring your CPU use...CPU Spy or something else?

Reactions: Grant H

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I exchanged my Prime for the TF700 in BB last month , I started feeling my power switch extremely rickety . Took it to BB but denied Exchange or return saying that nothing is wrong , Power switch is exactly like that even in the brand new TF700. Eventhough i was within my 60 days return window ( Silver Pre member) they denied me the return .

If they wouldn't allow you to return it for the power button, I would have just said 'Ok, then I'm just not happy with the product, and want to return it'. Then, just buy another one... Last time I checked, you really don't need a "reason" to return something - you can return it simply because you don't like it, for example...

I found it pretty strange when returning a tablet to Best Buy once for a hardware defect - they seem to go out of their way to actually make sure the device turns on before accepting the return - why do they do that?? What would they do if it wouldn't turn on?? If it's defective, it's defective - who cares if it actually turns on or not? If it *doesn't* turn on, then that's even more of a reason to return it! :) Am I missing something here?!?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

nramprabhu

Mar 20, 2006
Dublin , CA
First off, screw Best Buy, and second, it is interesting that a rickety volume switch is not cause for return. That's a real bummer for the money that we all have paid. Generally speaking, I am very happy with the hardware, but when I hit buttons/volume on my wife's ipad 3, they have a more secure feel, like they will still work after 10,000 presses. I don't get that same fuzzy feeling with our tablet, but I guess that's life. How are you monitoring your CPU use...CPU Spy or something else?

Yes I am using CPU spy to monitor . In BB their argument was , even if i exchange for a new TF700 the volume buttons are going to be same .. strange . I did not want to argue too much sine the manager lady was too rude . I just took my tablet and came out.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

If they wouldn't allow you to return it for the power button, I would have just said 'Ok, then I'm just not happy with the product, and want to return it'. Then, just buy another one... Last time I checked, you really don't need a "reason" to return something - you can return it simply because you don't like it, for example...

I found it pretty strange when returning a tablet to Best Buy once for a hardware defect - they seem to go out of their way to actually make sure the device turns on before accepting the return - why do they do that?? What would they do if it wouldn't turn on?? If it's defective, it's defective - who cares if it actually turns on or not? If it *doesn't* turn on, then that's even more of a reason to return it! :) Am I missing something here?!?

Yes i tried also, I told then i am returning this and pick a Samsung Note 10.1 , The manager lady told she won't allow me to exchange since this is my second return in 2 months , i don't know , if there is a rule like that. she was pretty rude , i was tired of explaining to Customer service / Geek Squad / manager , Just took my Infinity and walked out .

They always switch on and check , don't know why.

Last edited:

tobnddl

Jul 13, 2008
Atlanta
Wave Control https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MarksThinkTank.WaveControl
Pretty neat app. alot more configurable if u buy for a dollar. But for the basic controls its free. Thought u might want to explore this option on the on/off switching. cheers

Skicka Wave Control t från min ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T via Tapatalk 2
Regarding the Wave Control app suggested above, I could not get this to work. Am I mistaken, or is there no proximity sensor in the Infinity? If mine does not respond as it should, I want to return it. If not, how does this app detect a wave?

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Yes i tried also, I told then i am returning this and pick a Samsung Note 10.1 , The manager lady told she won't allow me to exchange since this is my second return in 2 months , i don't know , if there is a rule like that. she was pretty rude , i was tired of explaining to Customer service / Geek Squad / manager , Just took my Infinity and walked out .

They always switch on and check , don't know why.

That's BS - I would definitely go to a different Best Buy from now on! If still in your return period, just go to a different location - that lady was feeding you BS... You should have no problem returning it as long as you are within the return period and have a receipt.

nramprabhu

Mar 20, 2006
Dublin , CA
That's BS - I would definitely go to a different Best Buy from now on! If still in your return period, just go to a different location - that lady was feeding you BS... You should have no problem returning it as long as you are within the return period and have a receipt.

Yes , thought about it. Then thought of giving one more chance to Infinity , except the Power swich little loose , my infinity is perfect. JB update should be around the corner , so just waiting for JB update .

junrider

Jan 10, 2012
Yes , thought about it. Then thought of giving one more chance to Infinity , except the Power swich little loose , my infinity is perfect. JB update should be around the corner , so just waiting for JB update .

Yeah, Definately dont settle for mediocre for a brand new tablet... itll haunt you for as long as you own your tablet.. Apparently, you are dissatisfied with the product and they have no excuse to refuse the return as long as you are in your window of return. I would have called the manager and complained they are refusing for something that is written on their site as an acceptable excuse of return. When I had my infinity the volume rocker was wierd too, the down button would click once and the up had no clicking but was hard to control the amount of volume and when I pushed it the volume would go all the was to max. I would go to your premier site and print out the 60 day return policy, march back to that bestbuy and show it to their face the policy if they deny you right to return.

nramprabhu

Mar 20, 2006
Dublin , CA
Yeah, Definately dont settle for mediocre for a brand new tablet... itll haunt you for as long as you own your tablet.. Apparently, you are dissatisfied with the product and they have no excuse to refuse the return as long as you are in your window of return. I would have called the manager and complained they are refusing for something that is written on their site as an acceptable excuse of return. When I had my infinity the volume rocker was wierd too, the down button would click once and the up had no clicking but was hard to control the amount of volume and when I pushed it the volume would go all the was to max. I would go to your premier site and print out the 60 day return policy, march back to that bestbuy and show it to their face the policy if they deny you right to return.

Ya, I still have 3 weeks for my 60 days return window.... if no JB till the end , I will retun and get a brand new Infinity or Samsung Note 10.1 . Not decided yet... loll

d14b0ll0s

Sep 4, 2011
You might also find Power Switch interesting for the path you're following with your Infinity.
BTW, I've added a link to this thread to the best apps sticky thread (running out of space there, so won't list the apps themselves).

Reactions: tobnddl

MarksThinkTank

May 1, 2012
Regarding the Wave Control app suggested above, I could not get this to work. Am I mistaken, or is there no proximity sensor in the Infinity? If mine does not respond as it should, I want to return it. If not, how does this app detect a wave?

If you were able to install Wave Control then your device is telling the Play Store you do have a proximity sensor otherwise it wouldn't show up since it's a hardware requirement. (Or your'e on a custom ROM that doesn't report its features properly)

Someone on a different Transformer model, forget which one there are so many now, had the app work for a while but then it stop working. Turns out there is a sensor (on that model and probably this one too) but had been disabled by Asus in a software update.

Seems like they included it but then didn't want to use it and so disabled it. Maybe it was for a smart cover feature but went with the magnetic sensor instead.

Reactions: tobnddl

spinaldex

Jul 1, 2008
Portland, OR
The problem with any of those solutions is that a widget can't be used to change the volume in game or movie. I need the ability to do that and the only way would be to pull it to the system tray like the stock brightness control is.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
The problem with any of those solutions is that a widget can't be used to change the volume in game or movie. I need the ability to do that and the only way would be to pull it to the system tray like the stock brightness control is.

Take a look at a app I recently found called "1Tap Quick Bar" - you can put all sort of stuff (including sound control) directly in your system bar - it is a really nice and useful app.

Reactions: jvnat and tobnddl

Pyperkub

Oct 18, 2008
You might also find Power Switch interesting for the path you're following with your Infinity.
BTW, I've added a link to this thread to the best apps sticky thread (running out of space there, so won't list the apps themselves).

Power Switch lite/demo doesn't seem to work for me, not sure if I want to pay to try more options.

woodsonmh

Dec 2, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Wave Control https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MarksThinkTank.WaveControl
    Pretty neat app. alot more configurable if u buy for a dollar. But for the basic controls its free. Thought u might want to explore this option on the on/off switching. cheers

Skicka Wave Control t från min ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T via Tapatalk 2

Coming back to the topic , I am using Screen Off to switch off the screen and Awesome On off to switch back on . Only problem is Awesome On/Off keep preventing the tablet from going into deep sleep. Need to play around with settings ...
    I prefer the look of this app for the volume notification - seems to fit in a lot better...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.njsoftware.volumechanger

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

This is the same one me been using.
    Makes tablet life a lot easier.

Good recommendo Mr. danger-rat!
    :good:

Take a look at a app I recently found called "1Tap Quick Bar" - you can put all sort of stuff (including sound control) directly in your system bar - it is a really nice and useful app.