SOLVED! S9 Messages app after Oreo update - getting duplicate texts

Search This thread

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
Ok so I have a weird problem to report. After installing the latest Oreo update over-the-air from T-Mobile last night, I installed the Galaxy S9 messages app from apkmirror.com.

The messages that functions normally like you would expect it to but any time I get a text message from my wife who has a Galaxy S9, I get the text message twice. This issue can only be reproduced by receiving a text message from My Wife and nobody else.

I have been searching for a solution to this problem and I have already wiped the apps data and cache multiple times but nothing has fixed the problem.

Has anybody who has installed the S9 messages app from apkmirror.com run into the same problem and if so, how have you fixed it?

Update! I have officially figured out what is causing the duplicate text messages after updating to the latest messages app.

In the newest releases, like the ones that came on the S9 and S9+, samsung integrated the message service app into the messages app. This, for some, is causing duplicate text messages when receiving messages from people who are on the same service provider who's devices also have advanced messaging with chat features.

To fix the problem of duplicate texts, you will need to purchase and install package disabler pro ($2.50 - don't be cheap...) from the play store and disable message service app and reboot.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdp.singleplay

That's all there is to it enjoy no longer getting duplicate text messages just as I am.

Happy Tuesday!

Last edited:

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
It was random when I got the duplicate messages but I uninstalled it because you can't schedule messages in the new messaging app either.

I've always had random duplicate messages ever since I had my galaxy s7. But they were just that, random.

What I was experiencing with this messages app was anything but random. It was constant with any of my T-Mobile using friends and family.

What made it irritating was that my wife texts me pretty much constantly all day and every message she sent would get delivered twice.

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
It was random when I got the duplicate messages but I uninstalled it because you can't schedule messages in the new messaging app either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Actually you can.....press the plus symbol on left and navigate to correct screen..
1522729210453.jpg

Sent from my God Mode 8

Reactions: Lancerz

fearbasel04

Oct 29, 2007
west new york
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
What are the advantages of having the s9 message app over the note 8 messaging app? Cause I see a lot of people installing the s9 message app on their note 8.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Nothing major just I can schedule a text and send a location within the app to where I am. Say i am somewhere and i want send the location to a friend it's easy and no need to open maps. Again nothing major. Also u can do gif search within the input unlike the key board that Samsung forgot to do.

Reactions: lildoggs

lildoggs

Jul 16, 2009
New York
Nothing major just I can schedule a text and send a location within the app to where I am. Say i am somewhere and i want send the location to a friend it's easy and no need to open maps. Again nothing major. Also u can do gif search within the input unlike the key board that Samsung forgot to do.
Hey thanks for the reply. I was thinking about installing it but it doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble. I'll stick to the proprietary note 8 app. Thanks again man.

Reactions: fearbasel04

fdogic

May 24, 2016
Phoenix Arizona
try going to settings/apps/show system apps/message service clear data and clear cache.... we need updated message service apk, the last update was in Feb 2018

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
try going to settings/apps/show system apps/message service clear data and clear cache.... we need updated message service apk, the last update was in Feb 2018

I'll give it a shot.

Edit - didn't fix it.

Edit2 - grabbed the wife's galaxy s9 and installed a file explorer and looked through her system apps. There is no message service app like we have on the note 8. I'm thinking the new message app works a little differently.

Last edited:

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
It is LTE issue. If you turn off LTE no dupes. I need LTE so i have to live with dupes for now till new update come up.

That's unfortunate. I use my LTE heavily so that would never be an option for me. Seems I will continue to wait until either Samsung updates the app via galaxy apps or a system update then...

If that ever happens...

Update. Tried it anyway and it didn't solve the duplicates issue. With the new messages app installed on my phone, I consistently receive duplicate text messages from anyone texting me with a T-Mobile cell phone that has the ability to show "delivered and read" and typing indicators. Doesn't happen when texting anyone else.

I tried turning off LTE, I tried wiping the cache and data, tried turning off read receipts and all chat settings... nothing has effectively solved this issue for me on my T-Mobile note 8.

Not sure it's ever going to work right until an update comes for this phone. Unfortunately that's not likely to happen any time soon since the note 9 is coming in a few months and the s8 literally just came out... Samsung isn't likely to update us to the newest software until it isn't the newest anymore...

I believe the issue is with the message service app. This app is not present on the s9 and I imagine it is someone conflicting with the advanced features of the messages app, including the chat settings, resulting in the duplicates some people including myself are experiencing.

Last edited:

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
Update. Tried it anyway and it didn't solve the duplicates issue. With the new messages app installed on my phone, I consistently receive duplicate text messages from anyone texting me with a T-Mobile cell phone that has the ability to show "delivered and read" and typing indicators. Doesn't happen when texting anyone else.

I tried turning off LTE, I tried wiping the cache and data, tried turning off read receipts and all chat settings... nothing has effectively solved this issue for me on my T-Mobile note 8.

Not sure it's ever going to work right until an update comes for this phone. Unfortunately that's not likely to happen any time soon since the note 9 is coming in a few months and the s8 literally just came out... Samsung isn't likely to update us to the newest software until it isn't the newest anymore...

I believe the issue is with the message service app. This app is not present on the s9 and I imagine it is someone conflicting with the advanced features of the messages app, including the chat settings, resulting in the duplicates some people including myself are experiencing.

Going to try something drastic and see if it solves the problem. Going to revert back to AT&T build BRA8 and then update to CRC5 in stages, installing and testing the messages app at each stage to see if there is a build where the issue is not present. I also intend to factory reset my phone after the initial installation of BRA8.

I will post my results in stages as well as updates to this post. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Perhaps it is just a bug with the T-Mobile version of the firmware as I don't get duplicates from anyone who is not using a T-Mobile android device capable of advanced messaging.

Update - AT&T Nougat build BRA8 still receiving duplicate text messages

Update - AT&T Oreo build CRC2 still receiving duplicate text messages

Update - AT&T Oreo build CRC4 still receiving duplicate text messages

Update - AT&T Oreo build CRC5 still receiving duplicate text messages

Last edited:

oO_uNiQuE_Oo

Jan 7, 2013
Going to try something drastic and see if it solves the problem. Going to revert back to AT&T build BRA8 and then update to CRC5 in stages, installing and testing the messages app at each stage to see if there is a build where the issue is not present. I also intend to factory reset my phone after the initial installation of BRA8.

I will post my results in stages as well as updates to this post. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Perhaps it is just a bug with the T-Mobile version of the firmware as I don't get duplicates from anyone who is not using a T-Mobile android device capable of advanced messaging.

Update - AT&T Nougat build BRA8 still receiving duplicate text messages

Update - AT&T Oreo build CRC2 still receiving duplicate text messages

Update - AT&T Oreo build CRC4 still receiving duplicate text messages

I turned off EVERYTHING I possibly could in the Message service app after force stopping it, app badge icons, etc. Also cleared data and cache after clearing messages in the app itself. Haven't had dupes all day...good luck all

dharvey4651

Retired Senior Moderator
May 11, 2007
Olathe, Kansas
xdaforums.com
SOLVED!

Update! I have officially figured out what is causing the duplicate text messages after updating to the latest messages app.

In the newest releases, like the ones that came on the S9 and S9+, samsung integrated the message service app into the messages app. This, for some, is causing duplicate text messages when receiving messages from people who are on the same service provider who's devices also have advanced messaging with chat features.

To fix the problem of duplicate texts, you will need to purchase and install package disabler pro ($2.50 - don't be cheap...) from the play store and disable message service app and reboot.

That's all there is to it enjoy no longer getting duplicate text messages just as I am.

Happy Tuesday!

Happy Tuesday!

Out of curiosity. Would it be possible to disable the service within the s9 app so that way it could be re-packed for others without another app?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SOLVED!

Happy Tuesday!
    Ok so I have a weird problem to report. After installing the latest Oreo update over-the-air from T-Mobile last night, I installed the Galaxy S9 messages app from apkmirror.com.

The messages that functions normally like you would expect it to but any time I get a text message from my wife who has a Galaxy S9, I get the text message twice. This issue can only be reproduced by receiving a text message from My Wife and nobody else.

I have been searching for a solution to this problem and I have already wiped the apps data and cache multiple times but nothing has fixed the problem.

Has anybody who has installed the S9 messages app from apkmirror.com run into the same problem and if so, how have you fixed it?

Happy Tuesday!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Actually you can.....press the plus symbol on left and navigate to correct screen..
    1522729210453.jpg

Sent from my God Mode 8
    What are the advantages of having the s9 message app over the note 8 messaging app? Cause I see a lot of people installing the s9 message app on their note 8.

Hey thanks for the reply. I was thinking about installing it but it doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble. I'll stick to the proprietary note 8 app. Thanks again man.