Came up with a cool use for the Card Export program and the Xbox 360!

Search This thread

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
From the title alone you may already know where this is going ;-)

If you have a xbox 360, you may know that you can plug USB Mass storage devices (USB Hard drives, flash drives, mp3 players, etc) into any of it's USB ports, and the 360 will stream media (Photos, videos, and audio) off it. It's quality is great, and it streams video / photos in high definition - up to 1080p (and with the fall update, it will do 1680 x 1050 to on VGA for 22" widescreen monitors etc). With audio - it does nice visualizatons too, and if you hit the "guide" button while in a game you can control the music too to provide your own background music (it also allows for independent volume adjustment, track changing, etc etc). It's real slick...

Well it dawned on me when I plugged in my phone to my 360 via mini USB to charge it, that if I flipped Card Export on, the phone's MicroSD card becomes a USB mass storage device... got curious and, sure enough, if you enable Card Export while it's hooked up to a 360, you can stream media of the MicroSD!!!

It works GREAT just like any other mass storage device! Now all the Picture's I've saved on my phone I can view on the TV in HD, plus all the MP3's etc I've saved on their I can play thru my surround :-D

Only thing that didn't work that I hoped it would, was 3g2 / 3gp cellphone video. No go on that. Oh well. It will play the other video format though yay!

I guess this isn't much of a hack, just putting two and two together, but maybe someone else can use this idea :D

stratman71

Sep 2, 2007
Hay that's a cool idea! What version of card export have ya tested it on? I am running 3.12 on my mogul.

scarface68

Feb 4, 2007
Tried this with 3.12 and it worked as advertised. (Tried WM5torage and wasn't able to get this to work). CardExport II was the only successful option...

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
Found out there is another program that provides this functionality too, from no2chem, called neuMassStorage:
http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/page/nueMassStorage.aspx
it's donationware, and supposedly provides the same end functionality, though I haven't tried it as I already am a licensed owner of Card Export and like it's interface.

Hay that's a cool idea! What version of card export have ya tested it on? I am running 3.12 on my mogul.

I'm running the latest, 3.13. Doesn't look like much changed that would effect us.

Where could I get a licenced version of this card reader?

You can buy it right from their website:
http://www.softick.com/pocket-pc/cardexport2/index.php?page=2&new_lang=en