[ROM][8.1][STOCK][MONTANA] Android 8.1.0 Oreo - Stock Firmware (Fastboot & TWRP)

Search This thread

Code:
#include "std_disclaimer.h"

/*
 * Your warranty is now void... Well, probably not.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 * A lot.
 * Tl;dr: if your device crashes and burns, I'm sorry, but I'm not to be blamed.
 */

Hey guys.

This is a guide on how to install official Android 8.1.0 "Oreo" on our beloved, forgotten, poor Moto G5s (montana). As you all may know, Lenovorola still hasn't released Oreo for everyone worldwide. Only a few Latin American countries are receiving the update, with Brazil due to receive it Soon™, since we've already received the August security patch (still Nougat though :/).
Update 2018.09.29: Brazil and India have also started receiving Oreo, but with a different build (OPP28.65-37-2).
However, this is Lenovorola we're dealing with, so I went ahead, captured the OTA and created a TWRP flashable zip, by patching the June firmware (NPPS26.102-49-11) with said OTA. And also, there's the standard .xml.zip to be used with fastboot, directly from Moto.
For those of you who want to keep everything stock, locked bootloader and all, I recommend going with the fastboot zip. For those who already have unlocked their phone's bootloaders and have TWRP installed, or are coming from a custom ROM but don't want to fiddle around with fastboot, you should use the TWRP flashable zip.

I can't stress this enough. ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR STUFF!!!! Do a TWRP backup (data, system, boot). I recommend backing up the contents of your internal storage as well. And for those willing to downgrade at some point, back up your persist and efs partitions, otherwise you'll lose IMEI!

Oh, and I assume you already have adb, fastboot and the Motorola USB drivers installed. In case you don't...
Motorola USB Drivers
Android SDK Platform Tools (includes adb & fastboot)
If you use Linux, you don't need to install any drivers, but you may have to configure udev to allow fastboot to detect your device. But that, along with telling how to configure adb and fastboot, is beyond the scope of this thread.
I don't know how things work in the Apple side, so kindly don't ask me how to do that on macOS.

This firmware should work on all Moto G5s models (XT1791/2/3/4/5/7). I can't tell if it works on model XT1799-2 (aka Green Pomelo / Qingyou).

A few warnings:
1. Forced encryption has not been disabled. So, if your phone is not encrypted, it will be encrypted again upon the very first boot. Don't interrupt the process, otherwise you'll lose ALL of your data! (You can flash @Zackptg5's dm-verity / forced encryption disabler if you want to)
2. Xposed doesn't work, whether it's installed to /system or via Magisk (systemless). I've already opened an issue on GitHub and am awaiting a reply.
3. (Fastboot only) Updating to this firmware will also update your bootloader and partition table. If you're unsure about that and/or afraid of a possible hard brick, skip the gpt and bootloader lines.
4. Please install the proper build for your software channel. For retbr and retin, use OPP28.65-37-2. For the other channels, go with OPP28.65-37.
5. If your phone's software channel is retbr or retin and you have already flashed the -37 build, you can simply dirty flash the -37-2 build over it. No need to factory reset / fastboot erase userdata.

With that out of the way, let's get to what matters most.

Installation Guide:
Fastboot ZIP:
1. Download (obviously)
2. Extract the contents to a folder of your choice
3. Go to the folder which you extracted the files to
3. Inside the folder, open a command prompt, PowerShell, terminal or whatever you use as a command line interface
4. Put your device into fastboot mode if you haven't already done that (just hold Vol Down + Power for a while) and connect it to your PC
5. Execute the following commands:
Code:
fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash oem oem.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.8
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.9
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase DDR
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
reboot
6. Have fun
TWRP Flashable ZIP:
1. Download (duh)
2. Put the file at the root of your internal storage (/sdcard)
3. Reboot to TWRP
4. Do a factory reset (optional if coming from stock Nougat) and then format /system
(If your device is encrypted and you want to remove encryption, you will have to format /data and then flash the forceencrypt disabler I mentioned above after flashing the ROM)
5. Flash the zip
6. Reboot
7. Have fun
Thanks to:
@NZedPred for the excellent tutorial on how to build flashable zips based on stock firmware and/or OTAs
@Cesarcami53 for telling us that the update was out for retla
@erfanoabdi for his Motorola OTA Link Generator and IMG Patch Tools
@lohanbarth for mirroring the fastboot zips to AFH / Mega
In case I forgot someone, please do let me know.

Last edited:
F.A.Q. (Read this before crying!!!!)

Q: Why did you come up with this?
A: Because Lenovorola is pulling a Samsung, taking forever to officially deliver the Oreo update to everyone.

Q: ERMAHGERD DIS ROM SUCKZ, MAH BATTERY IS DEAD IN 30 MINS, PLZ HALP!
A: Please do blame Motorola, or yourself, or your apps' developers, but not me. I haven't got anything to do with that. I haven't changed anything.

Q: What works and what doesn't?
In theory, everything should work, and nothing should be broken, since this is a stock ROM.

Q: Will you add feature xyz?
A: No.

Q: Why no inbuilt root/Magisk/xyz/abc?
A: Because not. 1. There's something called freedom of choice, and that must be respected. / 2. I want to keep everything as bit-perfect as possible, and as close as possible to what you would get by flashing a real OTA.

Q: How do I report bugs?
A: If you wanna report a bug, send me a logcat. In case of a kernel panic, /proc/last_kmsg will help.

Q: How do I flash this?
A: I suggest you scroll up and read the OP. The instructions are there.

Q: How do I tweak this ROM?
A: For theming, there's full OMS/Substratum support. Xposed doesn't work, so no extra tweaks for now.

Q: This kid is such a n00b!
A: Oh well then, why don't you go do something like this yourself, instead of criticizing my work and wasting your time?

Last edited:
And as a bonus, have this nice little dark boot logo from me, which hides that dreaded "N/A" and also "bad key" things. Extract the zip file and flash the logo3.bin file inside using fastboot:
Code:
fastboot flash logo logo3.bin

Attachments

• logo3.zip
    515.2 KB · Views: 1,356
  • logo_final.png
    logo_final.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,658

giugiura

Jan 9, 2011
The link with the Fastboot ZIP doesn't work for me, I guess I'm the unlucky one. Is there any chance that you can upload it elsewhere? Thanks.

The link with the Fastboot ZIP doesn't work for me, I guess I'm the unlucky one. Is there any chance that you can upload it elsewhere? Thanks.

Also not able to download, please offer another download Location!

I have the zip here, but uploading it using my home Internet connection would take ages. I'll do it next Monday, I'll use my university's connection. I can get 100+ Mbps transfer rates, so it should be really quick for a file this size (1.5 GB).

Talwar sridhar

Jan 18, 2018
Tandur
I have the zip here, but uploading it using my home Internet connection would take ages. I'll do it next Monday, I'll use my university's connection. I can get 100+ Mbps transfer rates, so it should be really quick for a file this size (1.5 GB).

Please upload it on some other cloud so that we can download it thanks for help sir
In advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    #include "std_disclaimer.h"

/*
     * Your warranty is now void... Well, probably not.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     * A lot.
     * Tl;dr: if your device crashes and burns, I'm sorry, but I'm not to be blamed.
     */

Hey guys.

This is a guide on how to install official Android 8.1.0 "Oreo" on our beloved, forgotten, poor Moto G5s (montana). As you all may know, Lenovorola still hasn't released Oreo for everyone worldwide. Only a few Latin American countries are receiving the update, with Brazil due to receive it Soon™, since we've already received the August security patch (still Nougat though :/).
    Update 2018.09.29: Brazil and India have also started receiving Oreo, but with a different build (OPP28.65-37-2).
    However, this is Lenovorola we're dealing with, so I went ahead, captured the OTA and created a TWRP flashable zip, by patching the June firmware (NPPS26.102-49-11) with said OTA. And also, there's the standard .xml.zip to be used with fastboot, directly from Moto.
    For those of you who want to keep everything stock, locked bootloader and all, I recommend going with the fastboot zip. For those who already have unlocked their phone's bootloaders and have TWRP installed, or are coming from a custom ROM but don't want to fiddle around with fastboot, you should use the TWRP flashable zip.

I can't stress this enough. ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR STUFF!!!! Do a TWRP backup (data, system, boot). I recommend backing up the contents of your internal storage as well. And for those willing to downgrade at some point, back up your persist and efs partitions, otherwise you'll lose IMEI!

Oh, and I assume you already have adb, fastboot and the Motorola USB drivers installed. In case you don't...
    Motorola USB Drivers
    Android SDK Platform Tools (includes adb & fastboot)
    If you use Linux, you don't need to install any drivers, but you may have to configure udev to allow fastboot to detect your device. But that, along with telling how to configure adb and fastboot, is beyond the scope of this thread.
    I don't know how things work in the Apple side, so kindly don't ask me how to do that on macOS.

This firmware should work on all Moto G5s models (XT1791/2/3/4/5/7). I can't tell if it works on model XT1799-2 (aka Green Pomelo / Qingyou).

A few warnings:
    1. Forced encryption has not been disabled. So, if your phone is not encrypted, it will be encrypted again upon the very first boot. Don't interrupt the process, otherwise you'll lose ALL of your data! (You can flash @Zackptg5's dm-verity / forced encryption disabler if you want to)
    2. Xposed doesn't work, whether it's installed to /system or via Magisk (systemless). I've already opened an issue on GitHub and am awaiting a reply.
    3. (Fastboot only) Updating to this firmware will also update your bootloader and partition table. If you're unsure about that and/or afraid of a possible hard brick, skip the gpt and bootloader lines.
    4. Please install the proper build for your software channel. For retbr and retin, use OPP28.65-37-2. For the other channels, go with OPP28.65-37.
    5. If your phone's software channel is retbr or retin and you have already flashed the -37 build, you can simply dirty flash the -37-2 build over it. No need to factory reset / fastboot erase userdata.

With that out of the way, let's get to what matters most.

Installation Guide:
    Fastboot ZIP:
    1. Download (obviously)
    2. Extract the contents to a folder of your choice
    3. Go to the folder which you extracted the files to
    3. Inside the folder, open a command prompt, PowerShell, terminal or whatever you use as a command line interface
    4. Put your device into fastboot mode if you haven't already done that (just hold Vol Down + Power for a while) and connect it to your PC
    5. Execute the following commands:
    Code:
    fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash oem oem.img
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.8
    fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.9
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase DDR
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
    reboot
    6. Have fun
    TWRP Flashable ZIP:
    1. Download (duh)
    2. Put the file at the root of your internal storage (/sdcard)
    3. Reboot to TWRP
    4. Do a factory reset (optional if coming from stock Nougat) and then format /system
    (If your device is encrypted and you want to remove encryption, you will have to format /data and then flash the forceencrypt disabler I mentioned above after flashing the ROM)
    5. Flash the zip
    6. Reboot
    7. Have fun
    Thanks to:
    @NZedPred for the excellent tutorial on how to build flashable zips based on stock firmware and/or OTAs
    @Cesarcami53 for telling us that the update was out for retla
    @erfanoabdi for his Motorola OTA Link Generator and IMG Patch Tools
    @lohanbarth for mirroring the fastboot zips to AFH / Mega
    In case I forgot someone, please do let me know.
    And as a bonus, have this nice little dark boot logo from me, which hides that dreaded "N/A" and also "bad key" things. Extract the zip file and flash the logo3.bin file inside using fastboot:
    Code:
    fastboot flash logo logo3.bin
    F.A.Q. (Read this before crying!!!!)

Q: Why did you come up with this?
    A: Because Lenovorola is pulling a Samsung, taking forever to officially deliver the Oreo update to everyone.

Q: ERMAHGERD DIS ROM SUCKZ, MAH BATTERY IS DEAD IN 30 MINS, PLZ HALP!
    A: Please do blame Motorola, or yourself, or your apps' developers, but not me. I haven't got anything to do with that. I haven't changed anything.

Q: What works and what doesn't?
    In theory, everything should work, and nothing should be broken, since this is a stock ROM.

Q: Will you add feature xyz?
    A: No.

Q: Why no inbuilt root/Magisk/xyz/abc?
    A: Because not. 1. There's something called freedom of choice, and that must be respected. / 2. I want to keep everything as bit-perfect as possible, and as close as possible to what you would get by flashing a real OTA.

Q: How do I report bugs?
    A: If you wanna report a bug, send me a logcat. In case of a kernel panic, /proc/last_kmsg will help.

Q: How do I flash this?
    A: I suggest you scroll up and read the OP. The instructions are there.

Q: How do I tweak this ROM?
    A: For theming, there's full OMS/Substratum support. Xposed doesn't work, so no extra tweaks for now.

Q: This kid is such a n00b!
    A: Oh well then, why don't you go do something like this yourself, instead of criticizing my work and wasting your time?
    Lenovorola has finally (albeit slowly) started to deliver Oreo over-the-air here in Brazil. I guess India has already started receiving it as well. As for the retus, reteu and retapac channels... You should be receiving it Soon™ (especially retus).

P.S.: For those who don't know what the ruddy hell "Soon™" means, click here.

Edit: Both retbr and retin channels are receiving build OPP28.65-37-2 (someone in India please confirm this). I will upload said build here as soon as it's available, both in fastboot and TWRP formats.
    Thanks to:
    [/SIZE]

Hey man, I am so thankful that someone has found my guide and made something for another device.

Well done, and best of luck with this thread. :good: