[Q] How to use DD on windows?

Search This thread

wardoc22

Sep 8, 2010
Shoreline
I don't understand how to use it :\

I've been browsing the forums and reading posts all day long, but I can't seem to get this.

I am sure my lumia has an unlocked bootloader since windows asks me to format it when I test it.

Here are some info about my thing if it helps.

location of the rom I am trying to flash: C:\Users\David\Desktop\os-new.nb
location of dd.exe: C:\Users\David\Desktop\os-new.nb
drive letter of the phone : E:

When ever I command dd to do "dd if=./os-new.nb of=/dev/sdE9", replaced "x" with the drive letter of the phone which is E.

It doesn't seem to do anything, or it doesn't do anything at all...

Can someone do a detailed tut for this; in windows? I'm not a noob by any sort but this is just frustrating with such limited instructions.

ridolfo

Oct 7, 2006
You cannot use dd on windows; it's an internal Linux command that doesn't exist in Windows.

wardoc22

Sep 8, 2010
Shoreline
If so then is it possible to flash the .nb with Qualcomm qpst? I don't have enough diskspace to install linux

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

dewe

Sep 18, 2007
wndows version of dd may no use, and i don't konw why

dd is used to copy the nb file to disk?
maybe another software to do like this, such as winhex?

sHaHiN786

Jan 12, 2010
Manchester
Refrain from use of Windows to unlock bootloader, most likely to brick your device, use Linux, if you don't have it, don't try it. You have been warned. ;)

Reactions: CarlKenner

wardoc22

Sep 8, 2010
Shoreline
Refrain from use of Windows to unlock bootloader, most likely to brick your device, use Linux, if you don't have it, don't try it. You have been warned. ;)

Hmm, can you give me a step by step instruction to do this?

I went from the Nokia DLOAD to Qualcomm loader already. Thats how far I am. I've also played around with the DD commands with my uncles mac.

wardoc22

Sep 8, 2010
Shoreline
dd if=./os-new.nb of=/dev/sdX9

if the phone shows up as /dev/sdb3 on ubuntu, do I do

dd if=<path to the .nb>/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb3?

sHaHiN786

Jan 12, 2010
Manchester

if the phone shows up as /dev/sdb3 on ubuntu, do I do

dd if=<path to the .nb>/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb3?

Where X is the disk detected by your linux distribution.
After that, you'll need to hard reset the phone. Hold Power button for 10 seconds to exit Qualcomm's disk mode, and press and hold POWER+VOLUMEDOWN+CAMERA until you feel the phone vibrate. After that, RELEASE power button but KEEP HOLDING volume down + camera for five or more seconds. This will trigger the hard reset.

wardoc22

Sep 8, 2010
Shoreline
After that, you'll need to hard reset the phone. Hold Power button for 10 seconds to exit Qualcomm's disk mode, and press and hold POWER+VOLUMEDOWN+CAMERA until you feel the phone vibrate. After that, RELEASE power button but KEEP HOLDING volume down + camera for five or more seconds. This will trigger the hard reset.

dd if=/home/david/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb9

I already did dd if=/home/david/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb3

Well, I screwed up =\

Now it gets recognized in windows as qualcomm device, but it won't show up in ubuntu.

I made a full backup of it though.. You got any ideas?

Anyways in the end, I phoned tmobile up, they said they will send me a new one. I will be retrying this when I get that new lumia :D

Konner920

Sep 16, 2010
Norman, OK

^ I tried it the other day, and it bricked. LOOOL. I recommend listening to this guy. I ended up having to get a replacement device, luckily came the next day. attempted again except used Wubi for ubuntu, and it worked fine. i got the interop unlocked tango for the lumia 710

djtonka

Aug 1, 2010
City

Lumia 710 does not support SW by pressing POWER button!

ChrisKringel

Jan 6, 2009

Well, I screwed up =\

Now it gets recognized in windows as qualcomm device, but it won't show up in ubuntu.

Anyways in the end, I phoned tmobile up, they said they will send me a new one. I will be retrying this when I get that new lumia :D

Yeah, I guess you're pretty much screwed now. I don't get why people without a understanding of the DD command use it. Either way this procedure is still far away from being stable. You could try to reflash the third Partition if you have a backup somewhere. But if you don't you can only get a replacment device.

Reactions: wardoc22

wardoc22

Sep 8, 2010
Shoreline
Yeah, I guess you're pretty much screwed now. I don't get why people without a understanding of the DD command use it. Either way this procedure is still far away from being stable. You could try to reflash the third Partition if you have a backup somewhere. But if you don't you can only get a replacment device.

Well I do have an understanding of what the command is and what every part of it means now... We learn from experience lol. I never had a huge experience with linux haha.

I will try to explain this as best as I can, to make sure I am correct, and to try to clarify the command for other people confused.

"if=./os-new.nb"

This specifies the file path of where your os-new.nb file is. So for example, the location of my .nb file is:

"/home/david/os-new.nb" so I would do "if=/home/david/os-new.nb"

of=/dev/sdX9

This specify the location of where you are copying the .nb file to.

For this, you would just have to replace the "X", and only the X, which is in terms of the letter your device turns up in linux as. This was the part I got confused on. It showed up as sdb3 on my machine, which I thought that I would have to replace the entire sdx9 with it.

To find out the letter, in terminal, type in

"df"

It will lists all your active drives. Mine shows up as the latter B, under the name windows device. So I would do

"of=/dev/sdb9"

So to put it all together, the command I would type in is:

"dd if=/home/david/os-new.nb of=/dev/sdb9"

Am I correct?

And also, if there a way to flash your lumia from within windows? Cause it still shows up as a USB drive in windows like usual but it refuses to show up in ubuntu.

Last edited:

wardoc22

Sep 8, 2010
Shoreline
And also, I gave up trying to make it show up on ubuntu and tried it on my uncle's mac.

Heres what I got.

34gu5g1.jpg

I flashed the wrong partition, which was partition 3. So I am wondering if anyone can make an IMG file for partition 3 for me(lumia 710, unlocked qualcomm bootloader) then might be able recover it.

Worth a shot I guess as I will be getting a new lumia anyways.. And I might not have to be stuck with no phone for 10 days lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well, I screwed up =\