[Nook HD/HD+] EMMC CM11 install - updated 11/29

Search This thread

angelofmenoth

Apr 4, 2011
If you go to Succulent's blog post about CM11 for HD+, he has a link for flashable TWRP 2.6.3.0 if you scroll down a bit. It's running just fine. It tries to mount data1 every time like an sd install, but that's nothing that matters. It is a proper emmc recovery.

Sorry I don't have a direct link for you.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Here is the link to succulents TWRP build. click me

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Whyzor

drmarble

Jul 27, 2011
8x8 fuzz kernel

My HD+ has a particularly erratic screen, and it benefitted from the 8x8 fuzz patch. I think the Verygreen's cm11 kernel only has the 5x3 fuzz patch.

What would I need to do in order to get the 8x8 fuzz?

Thanks

Ask and it shall be given. If you are lucky and someone feels like it.
Here is a cm-11.0 kernel, totally stock except for the fuzz being set to 8x8.
https://app.box.com/s/rthz1qb4iwyaijrprjdw
If anyone wants to mirror this, feel free. My account got maxed out for a couple months last time I posted a kernel. I expect this will be less popular.
Hope this satisfies all of you with very bad touch screens. Don't expect regular updates. Mine works best with 3x5.
No HD (Hummingbird) version is planned since I haven't heard nearly as many complaings about their touchscreens. And, I don't have one to test on.
New working file uploaded. Link above points to the new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpisini and Whyzor

alan310

Oct 18, 2010
Netflix and HDMI

Not a major problem, but one that I have:

Netflix video will lag on a monitor. On the Nook the video and sound is fine. Is there a fix? Or is it just the video processing unable to handle two screens at once.

Is there a way to save power by turning off the screen with using the HDMI cable? Running both screens limits the useful battery life to less than three hours.

dcahoe

Jan 3, 2012
Ask and it shall be given. If you are lucky and someone feels like it.
Here is a cm-11.0 kernel, totally stock except for the fuzz being set to 8x8.
https://app.box.com/s/iooo78dht76xh8a8drqj
If anyone wants to mirror this, feel free. My account got maxed out for a couple months last time I posted a kernel. I expect this will be less popular.
Hope this satisfies all of you with very bad touch screens. Don't expect regular updates. Mine works best with 3x5.
No HD (Hummingbird) version is planned since I haven't heard nearly as many complaings about their touchscreens. And, I don't have one to test on.

Install failed on assert == "ovation". I definitely have an HD+ and am running CM11. Was using CWM from OP.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Install failed on assert == "ovation". I definitely have an HD+ and am running CM11. Was using CWM from OP.
Which CWM from the OP? The SD or internal version? And what zip were you trying to flash when you got that message?

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

drmarble

Jul 27, 2011
StatusBar brightness on HD+

To those folks who asked why status bar brightness control wasn't present I would like to say "Thank You!".
This was a bug in cyanogenmod. Nobody had noticed it. It was left over from cm-9 and cm-10.0 days when tablets didn't have status bars. Now, they do. I submitted a patch to cm to fix this and it was accepted today. From now on, all tablets will have the option to control brightness from the status bar. It was just an oversight that it hadn't been enabled before when tablets got the status bar forced down their throats with cm-10.1. All tablets will now have this option.
It may not be in tonights nightly but it will be in there afterwards.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Emmc (6.0.4.6). Was trying to flash drmarbles fuzzy 8x8 kernel referenced in that post.
That is the issue. You can only use that 6046 version to flash CM11 and the corresponding gapps zips. All other zips fail. You must use the SD version of CWM that you used to flash the internal CWM to emmc to flash other zips.

drmarble

Jul 27, 2011
lsashing 8x8 kernel broken

I don't know why the assert isn't working. It doesn't work for me either. You could just edit that line out of
META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
I won't do it for the uploaded kernel because Then folks could flash it to an HD or anything (motorola, lg, samsung).
I'll try to fix it correctly and upload a replacement. Something changed in cm-11 and the new CWM recovery we need for it.
Sorry that I posted a kernel that wouldn't flash.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I don't know why the assert isn't working. It doesn't work for me either. You could just edit that line out of
META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
I won't do it for the uploaded kernel because Then folks could flash it to an HD or anything (motorola, lg, samsung).
I'll try to fix it correctly and upload a replacement. Something changed in cm-11 and the new CWM recovery we need for it.
Sorry that I posted a kernel that wouldn't flash.
It has to do with the update-binary in your zip. Use the one from the CM11 zip in your zip. Verygreen found the issue in a post earlier in this thread.

See here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49216362

Last edited:

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
To those folks who asked why status bar brightness control wasn't present I would like to say "Thank You!".
This was a bug in cyanogenmod. Nobody had noticed it. It was left over from cm-9 and cm-10.0 days when tablets didn't have status bars. Now, they do. I submitted a patch to cm to fix this and it was accepted today. From now on, all tablets will have the option to control brightness from the status bar. It was just an oversight that it hadn't been enabled before when tablets got the status bar forced down their throats with cm-10.1. All tablets will now have this option.
It may not be in tonights nightly but it will be in there afterwards.

That is excellent news! Thanks a lot for taking care of this and getting it through the CM process.

mr72

Aug 2, 2010
Austin, TX
That is excellent news! Thanks a lot for taking care of this and getting it through the CM process.

The "statusbar" brightness control is back as of the 03/04 nightly.

However, while this may be a feature that was available in CM for years, it is not what I was expecting, not having seen what was referred to in the Hummbingbird. I was guessing we were going to have a brightness slide control, like the one that pops up when the "Brightness" tile is touched, to be shown in the notification area, similar to how it is on my JB-equipped Samsung phone.

Also, it appears the "swipe status bar" brightness, when enabled, doesn't work. But after years of using CMx equipped phones and tablets, I can honestly say I have never seen this work correctly on any of my devices. Maybe it's because I'm a device cheapskate (why do you think I have a HD+!).

How can we request an actual brightness slider controll be added like the one in Samsung ROMs?

hd32

Jan 8, 2013
I use the app Display Brightness to put a slider in the status bar. A single tap or swipe adjusts the brightness. It works great.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

Reactions: jpisini and KevHD+

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
The "statusbar" brightness control is back as of the 03/04 nightly.

However, while this may be a feature that was available in CM for years, it is not what I was expecting, not having seen what was referred to in the Hummbingbird. I was guessing we were going to have a brightness slide control, like the one that pops up when the "Brightness" tile is touched, to be shown in the notification area, similar to how it is on my JB-equipped Samsung phone.

Also, it appears the "swipe status bar" brightness, when enabled, doesn't work. But after years of using CMx equipped phones and tablets, I can honestly say I have never seen this work correctly on any of my devices. Maybe it's because I'm a device cheapskate (why do you think I have a HD+!).

How can we request an actual brightness slider controll be added like the one in Samsung ROMs?

I just installed CM11 03/04 nightly, and indeed, the status bar slider is there now. And for my part, it works exactly as I expected and wanted: Slide your finger right/left along the status bar to increase/decrease brightness. I can do that quickly and easily, even in those cases when the screen is otherwise too dark too read.

I don't have experience with Samsung devices, but this is what I am used to from other devices, and how I want it to work.

Thanks again, drmable, for getting this fixed :)

mr72

Aug 2, 2010
Austin, TX
FYI, what I am looking for is something like this:
picture.php

Also, while I'm requesting features, maybe under Settings -> Device -> Buttons, it sure would be nice to be able to set the function of the "n" button and have CM remember that setting across updates. I have a hacked keylayout files that I always apply to swap the "n" and "power" buttons' functions but it'd be quite cool to have the option in the settings.

metropolitans

Jan 11, 2012
I was guessing we were going to have a brightness slide control, like the one that pops up when the "Brightness" tile is touched, to be shown in the notification area, similar to how it is on my JB-equipped Samsung phone.

Also, it appears the "swipe status bar" brightness, when enabled, doesn't work.

It's been working perfectly in my hummingbird since day 1. Maybe you just need to get used to it? I think it's better than a traditional slider bar, because with that, it will only work if you put your finger precisely where the button on the slider is -- which may be hard to do in bright sunlight. With how it's implemented in CM11, you can put your finger anywhere on the top of the screen near the status bar and slide right or left to increase or decrease the brightness. So even if you can't see the screen, you can adjust the brightness.

Also, thanks to drmarble for putting it in ovation. While my HD+ is still on stock (by design), I may decide to put it on CM11 one day, so this feature is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Tschumi

mr72

Aug 2, 2010
Austin, TX
It's been working perfectly in my hummingbird since day 1. Maybe you just need to get used to it?

No, I must have been unclear.

It does not work on my HD+ at all.

Sliding your finger along the status bar doesn't adjust the brightness at all. It just does nothing, absolutely nothing.

I am not suggesting the feature on the whole doesn't ever work on any platform, but out of the past few I have tried, I have never seen it actually function AT ALL. But I admit I gave up trying it most of the time, and regardless of whether this works I still run CM on everything that I can make it run on. For the time being that is everything except my Rugby Smart which it seems is totally abandoned by the dev community.

Top Liked Posts