[ROM][4.3] Unofficial OmniROM builds for Nexus 7 (grouper) [MULTIWINDOW][16/10]

Search This thread

Chaosz-X

Jan 25, 2011
OmniROM Unofficial Builds

As you all know, OmniROM has been announced yesterday. This brand new ROM contains a lot of new, exciting functionality. One of these new functions is the multi-window support! Just like ROMs on some Galaxy Notes, or the ancient Cornerstone, you can run two applications simultaneously! Aside from that, the best thing about this ROM is the focus on the community: while the ROM itself is not available yet, the developers behind it really seem to be willing to listen to the community, which is a really good thing.

As the team of OmniROM states on their website:

Omni is what custom ROMs used to be about – innovation, new features, transparency, community, and freedom. We offer you an alternative to other ROMs that may choose to water down their distribution at the expense of providing options for the user.

And the list of features as listed by XpLoDWilD in this topic:

Flippable Quick Settings
Roadrunner mode
Multi-window(!)
Daydream enhancements
Integrated Performance Control
Multi-workspace
Color-changeable, 3D depth Phase Beam
And a bunch more

Unofficial builds

However, builds are not available yet. Logically, the ROM probably has not been thoroughly tested yet and that's why they are not building their source on a nightly basis. If you are as impatient as I am, you probably want to get your hands on this ROM as soon as possible! That's why I compiled OmniROM from source, for the Nexus 7 (grouper).

This flashable ZIP has not been tested yet by myself, but it should be OK. Compiled on Ubuntu 13.04 x86_64, completely as-is from the repository of OmniROM. Let me say again that this ROM is not modified by me; it is directly compiled from source and packaged into a ZIP. All credits go to the team behind OmniROM at http://omnirom.org.

Downloads

The builds below will probably be updated about every three days. I recompile from source whenever significant modifications are added to the multi-window functionality.

16/10 (working fine, with multi-window)
custom_grouper-ota-eng.chaoszx.zip (145.9 MB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!yEsHkDSa!PtTVqVPcvFY3FqP20M-1Vnq87rkVMPKJJ4aPuJA0IH8

14/10 (does not boot):
omnirom-4.3-20131014-NIGHTLY-grouper-unofficial.zip (138.7 MB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!HVF3DDAY!FveJvAE2Wffm2WNcezemTAwHYAleOKf13-zg82cZ118

Thank you

If you appreciate the time I spend to compile these ROMs from source for you, a donation would be appreciated as it would cover a bit of my expenses on power. Aside from that, I am hoping to save some money before I go to university next year, so any donation is much appreciated! PayPal donations can be sent to corepwn20@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support.

Notes
Multi-window can be activated by opening an app. Then go back to the launcher by pressing Home. Load up another app. Press the Multitask button, long-press the app you opened previously, and hit 'Split View'.

The Back button is not working at boot. To fix it, go to Settings > Language and Input > Default (under Keyboard & Input Methods) > Google Keyboard. The force closes of the AOSP keyboard won't happen now, and your Back button will work fine.

Last edited:

zphantom55

Jan 13, 2013
Flashing right now, this is gonna be great!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Veiti

Sep 4, 2011
FAILED
set_perm: some changes failed
E:Error executing updater binary in zip ´/sdcard/
Error flashing zip

Same problem here

draggehn

Jul 26, 2013
California
When installing, flashing failed. Also, upload to a site that is android-friendly? Mega is hard for me to use. Maybe mediafire?

Last edited:
P

podagee

flash fails because it says tilapia,mako,flo/deb.........no grouper is mentioned

Kilroy.

Aug 5, 2012
Cologne
flash fails because it says tilapia,mako,flo/deb.........no grouper is mentioned

I take it you get a set_perm (status 7 error)? This has to do with the updater script trying to give permissions to a file that doesn't exist, it is relatively easy to resolve. I'll take a look once I get home. BTW, tilapia, mako and flo are probably officially supported, which is why they are mentioned, as this is an unofficial build, it isn't (yet) mentioned :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Chaosz-X

Jan 25, 2011
Grouper is mentioned in the post of OmniROM, Grouper is available in the device tree of OmniROM, and this build is meant for Grouper.

The ZIP has been corrected to flash correctly. It was doing some set_perms on non-existing files. Those issues have been resolved now. However, the ROM fails to boot for some reason. I don't know why it is not booting as this is a completely unmodified build. I am going to sync the repository again now and do a new build. This afternoon I'll have a new build to try.

CPA Poke

Oct 23, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Grouper is mentioned in the post of OmniROM, Grouper is available in the device tree of OmniROM, and this build is meant for Grouper.

The ZIP has been corrected to flash correctly. It was doing some set_perms on non-existing files. Those issues have been resolved now. However, the ROM fails to boot for some reason. I don't know why it is not booting as this is a completely unmodified build. I am going to sync the repository again now and do a new build. This afternoon I'll have a new build to try.

FWIW I'm having the exact same problem with my build....it won't boot. Using sources synced as of yesterday morning.

I'm also re-syncing to see if that helps.

Chaosz-X

Jan 25, 2011
God I hate this new ADB system in Jelly Bean. Only allows a logcat if you grant access through Android itself. But when your device doesn't boot, it is impossible to get live logcats atm. Still working on a fix and progress is being made though ;)

Reactions: knight master

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OmniROM Unofficial Builds

As you all know, OmniROM has been announced yesterday. This brand new ROM contains a lot of new, exciting functionality. One of these new functions is the multi-window support! Just like ROMs on some Galaxy Notes, or the ancient Cornerstone, you can run two applications simultaneously! Aside from that, the best thing about this ROM is the focus on the community: while the ROM itself is not available yet, the developers behind it really seem to be willing to listen to the community, which is a really good thing.

As the team of OmniROM states on their website:

Omni is what custom ROMs used to be about – innovation, new features, transparency, community, and freedom. We offer you an alternative to other ROMs that may choose to water down their distribution at the expense of providing options for the user.

And the list of features as listed by XpLoDWilD in this topic:

Flippable Quick Settings
    Roadrunner mode
    Multi-window(!)
    Daydream enhancements
    Integrated Performance Control
    Multi-workspace
    Color-changeable, 3D depth Phase Beam
    And a bunch more

Unofficial builds

However, builds are not available yet. Logically, the ROM probably has not been thoroughly tested yet and that's why they are not building their source on a nightly basis. If you are as impatient as I am, you probably want to get your hands on this ROM as soon as possible! That's why I compiled OmniROM from source, for the Nexus 7 (grouper).

This flashable ZIP has not been tested yet by myself, but it should be OK. Compiled on Ubuntu 13.04 x86_64, completely as-is from the repository of OmniROM. Let me say again that this ROM is not modified by me; it is directly compiled from source and packaged into a ZIP. All credits go to the team behind OmniROM at http://omnirom.org.

Downloads

The builds below will probably be updated about every three days. I recompile from source whenever significant modifications are added to the multi-window functionality.

16/10 (working fine, with multi-window)
    custom_grouper-ota-eng.chaoszx.zip (145.9 MB)
    https://mega.co.nz/#!yEsHkDSa!PtTVqVPcvFY3FqP20M-1Vnq87rkVMPKJJ4aPuJA0IH8

14/10 (does not boot):
    omnirom-4.3-20131014-NIGHTLY-grouper-unofficial.zip (138.7 MB)
    https://mega.co.nz/#!HVF3DDAY!FveJvAE2Wffm2WNcezemTAwHYAleOKf13-zg82cZ118

Thank you

If you appreciate the time I spend to compile these ROMs from source for you, a donation would be appreciated as it would cover a bit of my expenses on power. Aside from that, I am hoping to save some money before I go to university next year, so any donation is much appreciated! PayPal donations can be sent to corepwn20@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support.

Notes
    Multi-window can be activated by opening an app. Then go back to the launcher by pressing Home. Load up another app. Press the Multitask button, long-press the app you opened previously, and hit 'Split View'.

The Back button is not working at boot. To fix it, go to Settings > Language and Input > Default (under Keyboard & Input Methods) > Google Keyboard. The force closes of the AOSP keyboard won't happen now, and your Back button will work fine.
    Build that boots up + has split view is being compiled now. Within a few hours it will be available :)
    We are golden! Booting up! Screenshots coming within 10 minutes, ROM coming within an hour!

Edit: the strangeness. Back-button is not working, but that is not the biggest issue. It seems to be working alright, but the multi-window functionality can't be found anywhere. I synced the repository to the latest version, so I am wondering why I can't find it..

Edit2: Apparently, since they did not find the multi-window feature stable enough yet, it is not yet merged into mainline. This means that I have to compile the ROM once again to add the patch for it manually. But hey, at least we know it will work when that's done. Sorry for the delay guys. However, tomorrow you'll have a ROM that will definitely boot up and have multi-window. If you are interested, I can already upload this build (which just doesn't have multi-window, but is working fine otherwise). New build will start within an hour. Upload will be tomorrow or this night ;)
    Machine is still compiling for about 3 hours now. Be patient, compiling a ROM on a dual core E2180 from 2007-ish takes a long time :)
    Dj6d13q.jpg

Hang in there. It is compiling the APK files now. It is probably almost ready. Testing in about half an hour I think ;)