RC30 download link

Search This thread

JesusFreke

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Hot off the presses. Get it here.

That file is the crappy "patch" version that tries to patch you from RC29 to RC30.

Here is the full update, which should be much more reliable

Obviously, don't install it unless you want to lose root access :)

Update for those who are interested: I went ahead and bought myself a new G1. One of the stores in the area had a couple. It still had RC28 (not RC29) on it, so I'm back in business. I'll just unlock my RC30 one and sell it on ebay.

Last edited:

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
OMG how stupid can they be... look what I see in the update script

# delete unneeded files
delete SYSTEM:system/bin/telnetd

Can we patch this like today cause I kinda think there is more to this than just doing that.

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
OMG how stupid can they be... look what I see in the update script

Can we patch this like today cause I kinda think there is more to this than just doing that.

There is. They added a kernel option "console=null", which I suspect basically makes it so that the physical keyboard no longer sends input to the console device. Note that there is still a root shell running on the console though.. it's just that now there isn't any way to send keypresses to that root shell.

Plus there are a ton of patches to the android apps and framework jars and such. Not sure what all changed there.

I'm in the process of modifying the patch, to apply to my phone without losing root access. More to come :)

RyeBrye

Oct 30, 2008
What does the "applypatch" piece do?

That part looks different.

Interesting that it's only a 4 meg update, and that it only contains a new recovery.img and a new boot.img - I wonder what is different in those images. I hope they are keeping the recovery stuff in the open source branch updated - because, well, that's the nice thing for them to to do :)

Jesus Freke - when you get your patched-up version ready, please post it somewhere for us lazy bastards who want to ride your coat-tails :)

Last edited:

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
I just noticed something. This update doesn't wipe the system partition. If you had created a setuid copy of the shell ("su", or whatever), I don't think it will get deleted if you applied the update as-is.

humble

Dec 17, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
but didn't you say it removes the use of keyboard in shell? If so we would still be up the creek. you know what a notice this update came really fast i never got and OTA until this(fishy) i had to force OTA. Well hope you work your magic JesusFreke.:D

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Arg! dangit. I accidentally applied RC30 and lost my root access. I copied the wrong update file to my sdcard... grrrr!

So I'm out of the game. Sorry. :(

Oh, btw - I was wrong about the update keeping the setuid shell around. It completely wipes the permissions of the system folder, so if you did have a setuid copy of the shell, it will be set back to normal non-setuid status by the update. duh.

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
Nope. Like I said, I'm out of the game. Unless someone wants to trade me for a RC19/RC29 phone. Or until another root exploit is found. *sigh*

gospeed.racer

Aug 19, 2007
DOH! That sucks! Sorry to hear that, and thanks for taking one for the team.

So if an update does try to install do we just need to turn off the phone until a solution is found? I may need to go back to my Dash for a while until this all gets figured out!

The update that you meant to put on the card- was it a test? If the worst that will happen is the update will take maybe someone that doesnt mind the update could test it for you?

bhang

Aug 19, 2006
megalopolis
spoofing

could we spoof the version # on our device? thus ending the nag and the ability to force the upgrade, for the time being?

bhang

JesusFreke

Oct 23, 2008
Dallas
I'm sorry about that! :(

Also, I'm confused. Hadn't you updated the keys in your bootloader to prevent an update? Or does that simply prevent the phone from downloading an update?

Yes. But I had accidentally re-signed the full update with the new key and updated my phone with it. I was in the process of modifying the update, and had grabbed the wrong file to sign and update.

syrusfrost

Nov 10, 2007
Yes. But I had accidentally re-signed the full update with the new key and updated my phone with it. I was in the process of modifying the update, and had grabbed the wrong file to sign and update.

Ahh! That's a pain in the arse... the usb mass storage process is running as root, any chance of a buffer exploit there?

syrusfrost

Nov 10, 2007

koush said:
mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

You can't remount that directory that unless you have root.
Use the dd command to copy stuff around (the cp command is not available). I should mention I'm a Windows guy, and am pretty clueless with Linux: my coworker figured the rest of this out once I got to a root prompt.

Incidentally, in the /system/bin directory there is a flash_image executable that changes the recovery.img used when you hard reset the device. I've noticed that I can run this without root access from a standard adb shell. Maybe we never needed to root the device after all... I think we can flash it without root access... I'm too scared to mess with that at all though.

I found this, you may want to look into it.

hetaldp

Jun 26, 2007
Nashik
I am also the same unlucky guy who had Press Update Button and now we are in RC30

Now what are the chances of our device to get root access or ability to flash Test_Signed code in RC30

jriley60

Nov 1, 2008
Atlanta
well i removed( # delete unneeded files delete SYSTEM:system/bin/telnetd )and replaced the boot.img and recovery.img with jesusfreke's anything else i should edit before i try to resign and update?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hot off the presses. Get it here.

That file is the crappy "patch" version that tries to patch you from RC29 to RC30.

Here is the full update, which should be much more reliable

Obviously, don't install it unless you want to lose root access :)

Update for those who are interested: I went ahead and bought myself a new G1. One of the stores in the area had a couple. It still had RC28 (not RC29) on it, so I'm back in business. I'll just unlock my RC30 one and sell it on ebay.