Mango Internet Sharing/Tethering - Omnia 7/Focus Tutorial Added to OP

Search This thread

drkfngthdragnlrd

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
So, the full tuto goes something like this:

1. Remove (uninstall) Network Profile application and remove any APN you set up in settings -> cellular.
2. InterOP-unlock your device (Heathcliff)
3. Install DiagProvXML app
3. Using Isolated Storage Explorer deploy enclosed provxml files
4. Install the xml files in this order: hotspot, hotspot1, mxip_hotspotconfig_01, EnableAutoDataConfig
4b. Check in settings that you can now see Internet Sharing between Bluetooth and accounts!
5. Reboot
6. Deploy WP7 Root Tools (Heathcliff)
7. Now launch Root Tools and go to Local Machine -> Comm -> InternetSharing and manualy add:

Name => value (type)

EntitlementURI => ./Vendor/MSFT/Registry/HKLM/Comm/InternetSharing/Settings/OpenMarketEnabled (string)
OpenMarketEnabled => 1 (dword)

8. Clear "CellularConnectionName" (aka set to empty)

and you can go to settings -> Internet Sharing and start it up :)

// Oh and I had some problems with it when system was set to CZECH. When I HRed and did the same process in English, it worked fine ?!.

// You can also try my all-in-one provxml file on http://wp7.ondraster.cz/all.7z - deploy it via the Isolated Storage Explorer to the diagprovxml application and after running it, reboot the phone. I am not testing it, I already reset my phoe 5 times today. Sorry :D

See OndraSter's post for the file. Click the little arrow next to his name above in the quote.

a small step by step instructions i made for all of us newbies in this thread (all credits go to OndraSter):

FIRST THINGS FIRST
You need a developer unlocked Omnia 7 / Focus on Mango

WHAT YOU NEED

Isolated Storage Explorer
NOTE: unpack and install vm_web2.exe first (it will download a 500mb++ file during installation, so it's best to do this first). then unpack ISE_GUI_1.1.rar, inside is the isolated storage explorer)
needed xml's (hs.zip)
DiagProvXML v0.9

Interop Unlock by Heathcliff74 v2.xap
WP7 Root Tools

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Remove (uninstall) Network Profile application and remove any APN you set up in settings -> cellular

3. Install DiagProvXML app on your phone

4. Using Isolated Storage Explorer deploy enclosed provxml files in hs.zip
4.a to do this: run Isolated storage explorer on your PC with your device plugged in and screen-unlocked. (DiagProvXML does not need to be running on your phone)
4.b paste this value on Product GUID text box: 566814df-f6b6-4154-8be5-9e65dce907c0
4.c click GET DATA button and save on your desktop.
4.d open the downloaded folder and paste there the 4 xml files from hs.zip
4.e click the Upload folder to Isolated Storage and select the same folder you just worked on, and upload!​

5. Run DiagProvXML on your phone, swipe to ISO Store and you should see the xml files, hold and click execute on each one following this order: hotspot, hotspot1, mxip_hotspotconfig_01, EnableAutoDataConfig.

6. Check in settings that you can now see Internet Sharing between Bluetooth and accounts!

7. Reboot

8. Deploy WP7 Root Tools (Heathcliff)

9. Now launch WP7 Root Tools and go to Local Machine -> Comm -> InternetSharing -> Settings and manualy add new value (+val button):

Value Name: Name, Value Type: String, Value Data: Value ... hit save

Value Name: EntitlementURI, Value Type: String, Value Data: ./Vendor/MSFT/Registry/HKLM/Comm/InternetSharing/Settings/OpenMarketEnabled ... hit save

Value Name: OpenMarketEnabled, Value Type: dword, Value Data: 1 ... hit save​

10. Clear "CellularConnectionName" (aka set Value Data to empty)

11. and you can go to settings -> Internet Sharing and start it up

--END--

Post edited to remove outdated info & keep it clean.

Last edited:

OndraSter

Mar 27, 2009
Prague
Yeah, but I need it even through cable - because when internet craps out at home, I want to be able to connect even my PC :D.

(at worst case scenario, I could change router to client mode and connect to phone from there :D)

drkfngthdragnlrd

Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
Yeah, but I need it even through cable - because when internet craps out at home, I want to be able to connect even my PC :D.

(at worst case scenario, I could change router to client mode and connect to phone from there :D)

Hello OndraSter, long time no see. Glad to see you are WP7 too.

Yeah, I agree about having wired tethering. Luckily my PC has a WiFi adapter, but a decent amount of Desktops don't. No need for WiFi on something that never moved especially when Gigibit LAN is way faster than the fastest WiFi.

drkfngthdragnlrd

Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
If this will be blocked on unbranded/outside of US devices (like voicemail is), I will be really pissed off!

Visual Voicemail is dependent on your carrier, tethering isn't though they could very well hide the setting via registry. So, even if they do hide it, we'll be able to unhide it with a registry hack, same as how some devices have the "never" option for the lockscreen timeout & the accessibility options disabled.

drkfngthdragnlrd

Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
Why are you so sure? :)

Update II: Rafael Rivera notes "Confirm ICS is baked into my Mango phone (e.g. Ics*.dll, HKLM\Comm\InternetSharing). My guess is requires carrier "update" to enable."

This quote has a registry directory that wasn't in the Beta 2 Emulator Dump. I have the full registry from a dumped emulator of 7692 compiled & this directory isn't in it. I'm trying to find a new 7720 dump to so I can compile it's registry.

EDIT: It appears this directory exists in NoDo 7392. I just opened my registry editor & manually added this key & it shows up as (unavailable info). I wonder if this means tethering was always there but hidden.

Last edited:

mike21pr

May 16, 2008
San Juan
soooo.... anyone with an unlocked rtm mango willing to take a shot at enabling it?

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

drkfngthdragnlrd

Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
We could try, but we need the entire regkey. Parameters and such.

Maybe this will help (found in netcore.7.10.7654.1-7.10.7720.68.cab's RGU);

Services\ICS _ IcsService ServiceContex (ICS Connection Sharing disable-value is DWord:4 (DEVFLAGS_NOLOAD); enable value is DWord:12 (DEVFLAGS_LOADLIBRARY|DEVFLAGS_LOAD_AS_USERPROC)

NetcoreRGU.png

EDIT: From further examination of the RTM update packages. Internet Sharing seems to be in 7712 as well. The netcore.7.10.7712.60-7.10.7720.68.cab doesn't have an RGU & has a few updates to a couple DLL's (icscsp.dll/IcsService.dll/intshare.dll) & the netcore.7.10.7718.66-7.10.7720.68.cab has nothing new added to ICS aka Internet Connection Sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: -Enkidu-

drkfngthdragnlrd

Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
Can someone running Mango RTM 7720 that has TouchXplorer Side Loaded & working as well as the PC USB Enable hack please copy out \Windows\E58CB45D-B3FE-405d-85CF-4D19C2AE80BE.rgu & upload it here? It should be around 15.5 KB in size as the NoDo RGU is 12.5 KB & the 7720 update RGU is 3 KB, which get's added to the existing RGU in \Windows\. You should be able to copy it out as I am running NoDo was able to pull it out with WPDM, but it doesn't work in Mango so you'll need to use TouchXplorer/USB Hack. I might be able to find the exact registry value with this file.

Last edited:

ronclone

Dec 3, 2009
Well if thats true, then maybe we can get access to it via provxml... Just like chevron, dont we?

JosepHenry

Dec 16, 2010
Can someone running Mango RTM 7720 that has TouchXplorer Side Loaded & working as well as the PC USB Enable hack please copy out \Windows\E58CB45D-B3FE-405d-85CF-4D19C2AE80BE.rgu & upload it here? It should be around 15.5 KB in size as the NoDo RGU is 12.5 KB & the 7720 update RGU is 3 KB, which get's added to the existing RGU in \Windows\. You should be able to copy it out as I am running NoDo was able to pull it out with WPDM, but it doesn't work in Mango so you'll need to use TouchXplorer/USB Hack. I might be able to find the exact registry value with this file.

Can you please explain or post a link on how to do the PC USB Enable hack? I have TouchXplorer running but if I can do the PC USB Enabled hack then I get my \Windows\E58CB45D-B3FE-405d-85CF-4D19C2AE80BE.rgu and upload it here.

drkfngthdragnlrd

Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
Can you please explain or post a link on how to do the PC USB Enable hack? I have TouchXplorer running but if I can do the PC USB Enabled hack then I get my \Windows\E58CB45D-B3FE-405d-85CF-4D19C2AE80BE.rgu and upload it here.

See this;

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1069568

This tool allows you to access your WP7 in Windows Explorer as a USB Storage device as long as Zune is closed. You need to copy that file to \My Documents\Zune\Content\ with TouchXplorer & than on you PC access the "USB Mode WP7" to copy it to your PC.

JosepHenry

Dec 16, 2010
When I do this the only thing I am able to see is just four sub folders. Albums, Artists, Music, and Pictures. Am I doing something wrong?

drkfngthdragnlrd

Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com
When I do this the only thing I am able to see is just four sub folders. Albums, Artists, Music, and Pictures. Am I doing something wrong?

Nope, those are the folder that are on your device under \My Documents\Zune\Content\(# Value)\.
You use TouchXplorer to copy from \Windows\ to \My Documents\Zune\Content\(# Value)\ & than on your PC you'll see it in one of the folders you mentioned.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Remove (uninstall) Network Profile application and remove any APN you set up in settings -> cellular.
    4. Install the xml files in this order: hotspot, hotspot1, mxip_hotspotconfig_01, EnableAutoDataConfig
    4b. Check in settings that you can now see Internet Sharing between Bluetooth and accounts!
    5. Reboot
    7. Now launch Root Tools and go to Local Machine -> Comm -> InternetSharing and manualy add:

Name => value (type)

EntitlementURI => ./Vendor/MSFT/Registry/HKLM/Comm/InternetSharing/Settings/OpenMarketEnabled (string)

// Oh and I had some problems with it when system was set to CZECH. When I HRed and did the same process in English, it worked fine ?!.

// You can also try my all-in-one provxml file on http://wp7.ondraster.cz/all.7z - deploy it via the Isolated Storage Explorer to the diagprovxml application and after running it, reboot the phone. I am not testing it, I already reset my phoe 5 times today. Sorry :D

See OndraSter's post for the file. Click the little arrow next to his name above in the quote.

a small step by step instructions i made for all of us newbies in this thread (all credits go to OndraSter):

FIRST THINGS FIRST
    You need a developer unlocked Omnia 7 / Focus on Mango

WHAT YOU NEED

Isolated Storage Explorer
    NOTE: unpack and install vm_web2.exe first (it will download a 500mb++ file during installation, so it's best to do this first). then unpack ISE_GUI_1.1.rar, inside is the isolated storage explorer)
    needed xml's (hs.zip)
    DiagProvXML v0.9

Interop Unlock by Heathcliff74 v2.xap
    WP7 Root Tools

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Remove (uninstall) Network Profile application and remove any APN you set up in settings -> cellular

3. Install DiagProvXML app on your phone

4. Using Isolated Storage Explorer deploy enclosed provxml files in hs.zip
    4.a to do this: run Isolated storage explorer on your PC with your device plugged in and screen-unlocked. (DiagProvXML does not need to be running on your phone)
    4.b paste this value on Product GUID text box: 566814df-f6b6-4154-8be5-9e65dce907c0
    4.c click GET DATA button and save on your desktop.
    4.d open the downloaded folder and paste there the 4 xml files from hs.zip
    4.e click the Upload folder to Isolated Storage and select the same folder you just worked on, and upload!​

5. Run DiagProvXML on your phone, swipe to ISO Store and you should see the xml files, hold and click execute on each one following this order: hotspot, hotspot1, mxip_hotspotconfig_01, EnableAutoDataConfig.

6. Check in settings that you can now see Internet Sharing between Bluetooth and accounts!

7. Reboot

8. Deploy WP7 Root Tools (Heathcliff)

9. Now launch WP7 Root Tools and go to Local Machine -> Comm -> InternetSharing -> Settings and manualy add new value (+val button):

Value Name: Name, Value Type: String, Value Data: Value ... hit save

Value Name: EntitlementURI, Value Type: String, Value Data: ./Vendor/MSFT/Registry/HKLM/Comm/InternetSharing/Settings/OpenMarketEnabled ... hit save

Value Name: OpenMarketEnabled, Value Type: dword, Value Data: 1 ... hit save​

10. Clear "CellularConnectionName" (aka set Value Data to empty)

11. and you can go to settings -> Internet Sharing and start it up

--END--

Post edited to remove outdated info & keep it clean.
    Boredtoday wrote detailed version of this here!

5. Reboot

Name => value (type)

Here is the result of my test on OMNIA 7:

the shared files enable the internet sharing in settings, but when I try to turn it on it says: "connection not shared" "Internet sharing isn´t currently available".
    Maybe there is missing a driver or another registry key...

Check the attached screenshots...
    About Internet sharing inside Mango:

DFT team tried to activate it and we got some results, but it's not working on HTC :(
    I think because WLAN driver isn't compatible. I looked to Samsung WLAN driver and there even special extra firmware with "SoftAP" inside name... maybe it's reason, but I don't know exactly.

Some things:

"CellularConnectionName" must specify a valid connection name.
    If it empty inside provxml, it will be replaced by "@WAP" string.
    So after provision, you need to replace it by empty string, it will choose the first available connection.

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\Settings]
    "CellularConnectionName"=""

This feature seems designed to be activate by mobile operator via OTA.
    There also checked additional parameter which specify URL which used to check if this feature valid for current data plan. Without this check it doesn't work.
    So I patched intshare.dll from 7720 to bypass this check.
    But it still not working on HTC devices...

Also there abilities to use other interfaces, like BTPAN.
    ConnectionType value seems specify interface type:

Code:
    1 - RNDIS
    2 - BTPAN
    3 - ETHERNET (?)
    4 - CELLULAR
    5 - WLAN

so default config is 4 -> 5.
    BTPAN doesn't work too (but it try to activate BT!)

This message has attachment with some files:

hotspot.provxml - it's provision XML, which can be used for HotSpot activation. Note you may need different format to use it (ANSI/UNICODE/etc).

hotspot.reg - this registry file with some changes after provision.

intshare.dll - patched DLL from 7720 build. without "entitled" check.

so it will be nice if somebody will try to activate it on the Samsung (with proper drivers inside I assume)
    I take it back, it WORKS!! YESS! :)

I accidentaly spelled wrong OpenMarketPhone as OpenMarketEnable and spent about an hour figuring WHY it doesn't work LOL.