[PATCH]**Adoptable storage enabler** MARSHMALLOW

Search This thread

deniz1905

Apr 25, 2012
Thank you so much, this is the patch I've been waiting for since I upgraded to MM and had to realize that adoptable storage didn't work with my SM-T805.
I split my SD-Card via adb and one of those tutorials existing for S7/S7 Edge, I used this one: http://www.modaco.com/news/android/heres-how-to-configure-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/

Everything went fine and I had 16 GB more free space. The bug that the amount of total space is not shown correctly doesn't bother me, what counts is the new free space that is displayed correct.
16 GB is a joke for the Tab S.

Before I used Link2SD pro, which was ok, but the app didn't work anymore in the correct way in MM.

Here's the result:
picture.php

Edit: I can't see the picure in the post, so here's a link to the picture: xdaforums.com/picture.php?albumid=13609&pictureid=54177

I couldnt split my sd card with this commands idk why. When i ran the command "adb shell sm partition disk:....... mixed 80" it just goes the next line in cmd. anyone knows?

imp3r10

May 14, 2012
What are the benefits of adoptable storage? It seems I can't take it out and plug in to my computer to fast transfer media files for travel, which is the main use of my tablet.

McSaarli

Mar 28, 2012
I couldnt split my sd card with this commands idk why. When i ran the command "adb shell sm partition disk:....... mixed 80" it just goes the next line in cmd. anyone knows?

Did you do it exactly as described in the tutorial?
Type adb shell

Then you are in the shell, should look like this or similar (in my case it's a windows pc):
Code:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
shell@chagalllte:/ $

Then type sm list-disks, when I do that, it looks like this:
Code:
shell@chagalllte:/ $ sm list-disks
disk:179,32

Then type the command for partitioning the disk, in this case this would be:
Code:
sm partition disk:179,32 mixed 80

This is how it worked for me after installing the patch via twrp.
P.S.: I got an error message after partitioning was done, something with null exception or so, but it worked.

Reactions: NeWONEx

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Did you do it exactly as described in the tutorial?
Type adb shell

Then you are in the shell, should look like this or similar (in my case it's a windows pc):
Code:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell

Then type sm list-disks, when I do that, it looks like this:
Code:
shell@chagalllte:/ $ sm list-disks
disk:179,32

Then type the command for partitioning the disk, in this case this would be:
Code:
sm partition disk:179,32 mixed 80

This is how it worked for me after installing the patch via twrp.
P.S.: I got an error message after partitioning was done, something with null exception or so, but it worked.
Have you got a screen shot of what it displays in storage with a mixed card.

McSaarli

Mar 28, 2012
Have you got a screen shot of what it displays in storage with a mixed card.

Copy and paste the link in my original post on page 2 into the browser or go to my gallery in this forum:

http://xdaforums.com/album.php?albumid=13609

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

What are the benefits of adoptable storage? It seems I can't take it out and plug in to my computer to fast transfer media files for travel, which is the main use of my tablet.

If this is the main use of your tablet then maybe there's no benefit for you.
But if you want to play some games or have a lot of apps then sooner or later you will get the nice message that there's not enough space to update or install apps.

That's the benefit for me.

TheGoD

Oct 26, 2009

Isn't it obvious? Having more space for stuff that normally cant be transfered to the sd like games and bigger apps. Just because you haven't a use for it doesn't make it hard to understand that other do.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Now when I try and sideload apps, it says that I run out of storage space and need to make room. My system partition is 98% full out of no where.
You need to migrate your data from internal to external sdcard otherwise it's always going to be full. That's the whole point of adopting the sdcard to use as internal storage.

Go into storage settings tap the sdcard and then migrate data.

zooster

Oct 14, 2007
You need to migrate your data from internal to external sdcard otherwise it's always going to be full. That's the whole point of adopting the sdcard to use as internal storage.

Go into storage settings tap the sdcard and then migrate data.
Wasn't it supposed to show internal storage as one space only , the sum of internal + adopted storage? The system is supposed to take care of destination of new data to the partition less full.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Wasn't it supposed to show internal storage as one space only , the sum of internal + adopted storage? The system is supposed to take care of destination of new data to the partition less full.
You would be wise to read the second link on reddit in OP.

tadhara

Jan 21, 2011
Budapest
Guys, I know that this might not be the right forum to post this, but when I want to format my SD card as internal storage it gives me a weird error, also it crashes my "explorer.exe" on my PC :D
The message I get on my tabS is "command '15 volume partition disk 179,32 private' failed with '400 15 Command failed'

Inmate1024

Sep 21, 2016
Possibly if you have root, but surely your device is or almost out of warranty by now?

Unfortunately it not about the warranty. One of my tablets I also use for work and with knox tripped I wont be able to sign in/use the apps. So any ideas/help with getting this to work and keeping knox would be much appreciated.

BTW, you people are amazing for getting this to work. I already used this patch on my wife's 10.5; she has all her games installed and says there is no noticeable slowdowns. Probably going to update and use this patch on the 8.4 in my car also, even though I dont really need it.

Sucks that Samsung gimped MM like this, especially on devices with only 16gigs.

redbull69.dl

Apr 23, 2015
any way to apply this on non rooted mm

As you may all know Samsung disabled the Adoptable storage function in the Tab S. Even the well known S7 hack doesn't work. Well now it's back...

Thanks to some legwork (no pun intended) by @longshanks197 we now have a workable solution.
As previously thought, Samsung disabled adoptable storage in the framework.

I have created this patch to fix the issue by patching the boot image and replacing sm.jar in system.
This will enable the adoptable storage feature in Settings>Storage

NOTE: I advise making a backup with TWRP before proceeding.

INSTALL:

Copy the zip below to your device then install with TWRP.

adoptable_storage_enabler_ashyx

For information how to enable adoptable storage see the guide below:

how-to-use-adoptable-storage-on-android-6-0-marshmallow

This may also be worth a read for more info:

guidelines_for_marshmallow_users_formatting/

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

any way to apply this on non rooted mm t800 officicial

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
Unfortunately it not about the warranty. One of my tablets I also use for work and with knox tripped I wont be able to sign in/use the apps. So any ideas/help with getting this to work and keeping knox would be much appreciated.

BTW, you people are amazing for getting this to work. I already used this patch on my wife's 10.5; she has all her games installed and says there is no noticeable slowdowns. Probably going to update and use this patch on the 8.4 in my car also, even though I dont really need it.

Sucks that Samsung gimped MM like this, especially on devices with only 16gigs.
If you can get temporary root with kingroot then it can be done.

ashyx

Oct 14, 2012
It looks like king root will(hopefully) work with MM so Ill give it a try. After running it, if it works, what needs to be done/how would I go about getting this to patch to work?
Copy the sm.apk into your system/framework directory then follow the instructions for the S7 hack.

Top Liked Posts