WiFi really poor?

Search This thread

jameslfc5

Sep 27, 2009
Is it just me or do you find the wifi strength to be really poor?

My friend was at my house last night and his htc incredible said full signal and mine said 1 bar

Does software affect anything?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Daniele150cv

Jul 18, 2011
Yes :( I also noticed that when the signal is poor but the device is connected, the connection is blend but solid..
But the GS2 receiver is 1/3 than the receiver of the desire HD :(
I noticed some improvement with KF2 baseband imho the best receiver and the minor battery drainer for the device :)

adem_7

Jan 23, 2008
Prizren
Yeah, I also have poor wi-fi signal, regularly 1 or 2 bars less than iphone 4 or even my old htc desire. Sometimes this will happen even if I stand barely 2 feet away from the router. But the connection is always solid, when it's there.

Daniele150cv

Jul 18, 2011
Yeah, I also have poor wi-fi signal, regularly 1 or 2 bars less than iphone 4 or even my old htc desire. Sometimes this will happen even if I stand barely 2 feet away from the router. But the connection is always solid, when it's there.

Right....if the connection start, don't worry is will be rock solid :)
But, often the problem is catch the connection when the signal is poor :mad:

LuffyPSP

Aug 1, 2010
Agree on this. Mine showing 2 bars but i cant browse or it is slow as hell. On desire no problem at all.

Nuked from Galaxy S II conquered by VillainROM v2.1.0

Isadora

Nov 14, 2009
London
Well as long as it works (mine does, flawlessly), I really couldn't care less about how many bars are displayed.

Apr 18, 2011
The wifi strenght sucks on my SGII too..

I was used to surf from my room , even with my iPod touch 3g (only B/G), but the SGII takes just one bar of signal and doesen't work, and that's strange considering that it supports B/G/N...

tolis626

Dec 31, 2009
Amaliada
Well,it's a little crappy compared to the Desire HD admitedly,but meh,whatever.The final result is the same.The Desire HD has had the best wifi receiver among all my phones by the way,so we aren't comparing the S2 with some ****ty phone. :)

lynxboy

Oct 7, 2009
Leeds
It puzzles me everytime I see one of these threads. I find the WiFi reception on the device to be great, much better than my last handset, Desire HD. The DHD would struggle to hold a connection in the rear bedroom of my last house, which was at the opposite end of the house to the router. It was so bad I had to use Connectify.me as a bridge via my laptop! The SGS2 would hold a connection without issue, even going out into the rear garden, something my N1 could not achieve. I'm stumped as to why some people really struggle with the signal strength on WiFi.

Regards.

smashish

Jul 22, 2011
Most of the the time my SGS2 show 1 out of 4 bars, even when i'm very close to wi-fi access point, however i woudn't say that the connection is worse comparing to when I have 4 bars. Probably this is a software issue...

LuffyPSP

Aug 1, 2010
should hope dev improve this. my Desire still can get the signal even if i'm outside of my house, and while reversing the car going out through the gate, it still catch the signal. GS2 didnt get this kind of reception, but it is fast once it does get reception.

ADropBear

Jul 22, 2011
I used to have the same Wi-Fi problems with my Galaxy S2 having little or no reception while all my other devices were working fine.

I fixed the problem by setting my phone to use static IP at all times when connected to the wireless network.

To do this go to:

Wireless and network > Wi-Fi Settings > Advanced (menu button)

Then check "Use static IP" and fill in the network details.

Ever since I did that, I have been getting at least three bars signal at all times and had no problems getting a connection inside or outside the house. I reckon it's a bug with the android firmware itself (I'm using rooted stock 2.3.3 KF3 btw). That or it hates my D-Link router.

jameslfc5

Sep 27, 2009
I used to have the same Wi-Fi problems with my Galaxy S2 having little or no reception while all my other devices were working fine.

I fixed the problem by setting my phone to use static IP at all times when connected to the wireless network.

To do this go to:

Wireless and network > Wi-Fi Settings > Advanced (menu button)

Then check "Use static IP" and fill in the network details.

Ever since I did that, I have been getting at least three bars signal at all times and had no problems getting a connection inside or outside the house. I reckon it's a bug with the android firmware itself (I'm using rooted stock 2.3.3 KF3 btw). That or it hates my D-Link router.

I'll try this when I'm at home mate and I'll report back

Cheers :)

3mar84

Nov 1, 2010
Im less than 2 meters away from the router and it indicates 2 bars of 3!! I had better indicators for the previos phones

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

tolis626

Dec 31, 2009
Amaliada
Just tested KG2 modem and its giving a much stronger signal at what was the extremes of range for other modems . Signal not wifi indicator .

jje

I can confirm this JJe. :)
Also,lynxboy,something must have been wrong with your Desire HD.Currently,the S2 is the second best phone I've had in terms of connectivity,but my DHD is on a level of its own.It sometimes even beats my laptop and doesn't lose connection no matter how I hold it.I never believed that the S2's wifi is actually bad,but it's certainly not as good as the Desire HD's. :)

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
The SGS2 doesn't like all routers equally. A couple of us with Netgear router's are getting great performance - better than with previous devices. It doesn't seem to like D-Link. D-Link's also cause its battery to drain faster. There's a thread started on that already.