[Q] Best PAID apps out there?

Search This thread

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
Hi all,

I have a few bucks to spend and I need your suggestions on what are the best apps you can buy out there? Hopefully apps that can improve performance, battery, eyecandy, etc.

I have a rooted Note (system level only).

I already bought Titanium Backup Pro ($6) which I prefer because of the dropbox capability. I was also thinking of buying the Tapatalk forum app.

I'm contemplating to buy Juice Defender Ultimate as I think there is also a good free alternative. Or is Juice Defender worth every penny?

Aside from those, what else can you suggest?

Thanks!

BTW: I've already donated to some devs :D

Last edited:

adamtrace

Mar 1, 2011
Wasaga Beach
In my opinion Root Explorer is an amazing app.

Also if your looking for battery life i wouldnt suggest a "battery saver app" as most tend to just kill more battery than they save. IMO a must have is autostarts. Its pretty amazing to see some of the times your apps are autostarting and your able to disable them. For example if my storage is low IMDB autostarts or if media is mounted flashlight starts. obviously these apps dont need to be running.

Also if you have 15 bucks your not need of you could try spbshell 3d for eye candy. had it on my sgs. would probably look AMAZING on the not

jdsemler

Aug 17, 2007
Austin
Transparent Screen Pro

So you can walk around and not fall over stuff when typing on the go.

I have it set to activate when I hold down (long press) the search button

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Uncle Irish

Nov 23, 2009
Hi all,

I have a few bucks to spend and I need your suggestions on what are the best apps you can buy out there? Hopefully apps that can improve performance, battery, eyecandy, etc.

I have a rooted Note (system level only).

I already bought Titanium Backup Pro ($6) which I prefer because of the dropbox capability. I was also thinking of buying the Tapatalk forum app.

I'm contemplating to buy Juice Defender Ultimate as I think there is also a good free alternative. Or is Juice Defender worth every penny?

Aside from those, what else can you suggest?

Thanks!

BTW: I've already donated to some devs :D

Whats the free alternative to Juice Defender your talking about?

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for all your suggestions.

I already bought

Titanium Backup Pro
Root Explorer
Beautiful Widget

I still have few bucks to burn ... anything else? Performance, Eyecandy, battery improvement, system tools .. etc - I rarely do games so .. games are out of the question.

Mortem Tuam

Feb 1, 2011
Chicago
mortemtuam.weebly.com
i have yet to be able to get my emails in a timely (push) manner with this...

maybe it's time to reach out to the app developer, we are just users here and not experts. Seems the logical thing to do.

http://latedroid.com/

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

I also have an app that gets them free! :-o

Big Dogg Infuse I997 ZeusB5 ICS!

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of us have seen how to get paid apps for free. But I made my choice to support app developers by PAYING for their efforts because it's the right thing to do. Expecting everything for free is seriously messed up.

I know I would be pissed if I saw an app I made being pirated. Especially if my livelihood depended on my development efforts. It would be like taking food out of my 4 kids mouths.

I say support your devs and themers......a lot of hard work is put into these things you use.

Last edited:

myarbro

Apr 13, 2011
Memphis
maybe it's time to reach out to the app developer, we are just users here and not experts. Seems the logical thing to do.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of us have seen how to get paid apps for free. But I made my choice to support app developers by PAYING for their efforts because it's the right thing to do. Expecting everything for free is seriously messed up.

I know I would be pissed if I saw an app I made being pirated. Especially if my livelihood depended on my development efforts. It would be like taking food out of my 4 kids mouths.

I say support your devs and themers......a lot of hard work is put into these things you use.

Yus! This with two thumbs up. if everyone got it free, the quality would disapeer bc there would be no money to be made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

kimocal

Jul 28, 2006
Pilot Hill, CA
QuickDesk Pro - creates an alternative screen that can be invoked anytime where you can add shortcuts and even widgets. I can't live without it (CLWI).
Titanium Backup (root) - CLWI
Agenda Widget Plus - Pulls from both Touchdown and Google Cals and have them all listed in one place.
Touchdown - Better corporate exchange email client
AutoStarts (root) - Prevents annoying games/programs from running
CPU Master Pro - For setting overclocking and power profiles
Tasker - Just amazingly awesome once you get a hang of how it works. Very powerful and customizable. You can create your own progrmas, widgets, notification ETC. CLWI
GrooVe IP - FREE Wifi/3G calling. I used this while traveling to central america and all my wifi calls were free when they were to US numbers.
Gtasks - Syncs with Google Tasks plus you can set recurring tasks like bill reminders (although you could also do the same thing with Tasker)
PdaNet - For those time syou need to tether. It also has some masking tools.
Remote Web Desktop - Lots of cool tools and options
ROM Manager
Root Explorer
ES File Explorer - This is my goto File Explorer. It has root access and do some stuff like Root Exporer although Root Explorer is easier to set permissions and other things. ES File Explorer can access your Dropbox/Box/SugarSync accounts. since it can do that I have removed the dropbox and box apps. CLWI
Splashtop Remote - Control your computers with nice interface/controls.
Wordfeud - Play this game a ton so I support the dev
TapaTalk
Screen Filter
- A must for using the phone at night in bed and not annoy your significant other. I've also used it to stretch battery life when the min brightness is still too bright.CLWI

Last edited:

dastars

Aug 16, 2007
Tasker is an absolute can't-live-without once you get the hang of it. Amazing automation of your phone.

kimocal

Jul 28, 2006
Pilot Hill, CA
Tasker is an absolute can't-live-without once you get the hang of it. Amazing automation of your phone.

Starting to get much better at it. This is what I have it do when I connect to my Car Bluetooth:

1) Disable PIN Security so I don't need to unlock my phone while in the car (one less distraction)
2) Set Media Volume to 15
3) Turn Wifi off
4) Change Display timeout to 30 minutes (nice for google maps and viewing the album art of the streaming music)
5) Turn on GPS IF power is connected to phone
6) Start recording video with DailyRoads Voyager ( A car DVR program in case of an accident so you then have Objective evidence)
7) Play the THX sound after a couple seconds to make sure the Bluetooth audio streaming is working right

Still trying to get a better understanding on how to create a pop-up menu with the new Scenes element. Wish the old Menu element was there as that fit my needs perfectly fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i have yet to be able to get my emails in a timely (push) manner with this...

I also have an app that gets them free! :-o

Big Dogg Infuse I997 ZeusB5 ICS!

Thanks for posting this. I never even thought of the above scenario. If you have any other handy "tasks", link me to them! :)

The secret with Tasker is using variables to control tasks/states/triggers. It's emphasized somewhere in the User Guide that variables are the "glue" that makes things work well in it. Took me some time using it to really understand that.

Goto the tasker wiki and google groups to see what other people are doing to get ideas. One profile may not be exactly what you need BUT you can take parts from them and apply it to what you DO want. Search Tasker here on XDA for some amazing examples to learn from.

Here are some other examples of what I'm using it for:

For the Car one I posted above here is the EXIT task flow:
    1) Stop Recording Video for DailyRoads Voyager (DRV)
    2) Wait 5 seconds
    3) Kill App - DRV
    4) Perform Task - PIN ON
    5) Secure Settings - Disable GPS
    6) Display Timeout - 2 min
    7) WiFi - Turn ON
    8) Bluetooth - Off
    9) Display Brightness - Set to 150 out of 255

Other fun stuff

Home VAR %STATUS_HOME
    Set VAR for when I am near my home micro-cell as the signal radius is small and specific to my house. I use this since the phone part is always on and I don't need to use GPS to determine location which uses more juice. That VAR is then used to turn on wifi when I arrive at home, disable PIN again, Flash "Welcome home", set WiFi sleep to Never. The Exit task for when I leave home turns PIN ON and sets the WiFi sleep policy to "Never While Plugged'.

Power VAR %STATUS_POWER
    I have 2 seperate profiles for when I am connected to AC or USB power. The AC one sets the power VAR to 2 while the USB one sets it to 1. Both are used for other tasks and profiles, like the car one above requires AC connection so my GPS doesn't drain my battery even while connected. I have it flash "AC connected" or "USB connected" to let me know if the phone is receiving the correct amount of juice. When both of them exit they set the Power VAR to 0 and flash "Power Disconnected"

Sleepy Time
    Profile conditions
    1) Time - From 00:01 to 06:30
    2) State - Home VAR = 1 (so this doesn't happen when I am out and about somewhere at night)

Enter Task - In case I'm tinkering with the phone in bed and don't want to keep the wifey up with a blazing screen and vibrations when clicking buttons. Also prevents annoying sounds at night by disabling data sync and muting all but the Alarm audio.
    1) AutoSync -OFF
    2) Flash "Good night"
    3) Display brightness at 0
    4) Screen Filter set to 25%
    5) Perform Task - Alarm Audio only

Alarm Audio only task above
    1) Alarm Volume - 4
    2) Flash "Alarm Audio Only"
    3) Haptic Feedback - Off
    4) Notification Volume - 0
    5) Ringer volume - 0
    6) System volume - 0
    7) Media volume - 0

Exit Task
    1) AutoSync - On
    2) Display Brightness - 255
    3) Screen Filter - 100%

Quick Stats - This has two parts. One is the Notification that tells me a bunch of info I like to know like Battery level, Screen timeout, screen brightness and CPU governor. The second part is launching a menu when I click on the notification that has commonly used Screen brightness & timeouts I use. I need to add some audio options in there too. I re-discovered that menu was there the entire time and didn't see the + button to add more items to the menu. I was over complicating it by trying to use Scenes as a pop-up menu. Still need to learn more about Scenes though.

Part 1 - Quick Stats Notification
    State - Orientation Face Up (I use this state so if I want to refresh the stats all I do is put the phone face up. There is already a time stamp for Notifications so I can know when the stats were last updated).

Task - Notify Quick Stats
    1) Notify - use built-in variable Battery level, Screen timeout, screen brightness and CPU governor as the text.

Part 2 - Notification Bar Tool
    Event - Notification Click

Task - Quick Stats Menu
    1) Menu with options for display brightness at 0, 100 or 255. Display timeout options for 30 secs, 2 min, 10 min and 30 min

Remote PIN Disable - This is for in case I forget my pin or other reasons. This will disable the PIN like used in the Car and Home profiles. It is triggered by receiving a text from certain people with a specific phrase.

Event - Text with specific phrase under Content

Task - PIN OFF

Where Are You - Here's a 3 part setup. If I can't find my phone I again send a text with a specific phrase that then cranks up all volume settings to MAX and repeat "The Most Annoying Sound in the world" by Jim Carrey from Dumb & Dumber. The text sets a VAR called %SHUTUP to 1. When %SHUTUP = 1 it triggers Once I find the phone to set the VAR back to 0 I shake the phone.

Part 1 - Where Are You Status
    Event - Received Text with specific phrase
    Task - Variable Set - %SHUTUP = 1

Part 2 - Where Are You Status
    State - Variable Value = 1

Task - Where Are You Audio
    1) Perform Task - Crank It Up (sets all volumes to MAX)
    2) Flash - "I'm over here!"
    3) Music Play - Annoy.wav
    4) Wait - 15 sec
    5) Goto - Top of Loop IF %SHUTUP = 1

Part 3 -Shutup Shake
    Event - Shake

Task
    1) Variable Set - %SHUTUP = 0
    2) Flash "SHUT UP!!!"

Now that NFC is enable on my AT&T Note thanks to DAGr8's Sauron ROM I can now add NFC as trigger events to set tasks/profiles etc. So now instead of using time and a VAR I can put a NFC sticker on my night stand and have it do the same thing as Sleepy Time. I could also do the same for my car instead of using Bluetooth as the trigger.

Once you get the hang of it it's only limited by your imagination and Tasker itself, which already is amazingly capable. But you can then expand it's capabilities with Plugins (Secure Settings, DropSync, Rotation Locker, NoLED, Screen Filter, etc) and also 3rd Party Actions (SMS Backup +, DailyRoad Voyager, BeyondPod, WidgetLocker, Astrid, etc).

So can you tell that Tasker is the #1 app in my book AND well worth the money.

:cool:
    #1 how are you doing this?

Search for "Secure Settings". It's a tool that works with tasker/locale/llama that can disable / set pin, GPS, adb and some other things. Very useful. Created by a XDA dev too.

Sent magically through the air from the mighty Note!