[Q] USB Only Works When Turned Off (Charging)

Search This thread

morgang321

Aug 17, 2013
Been trying to figure this out for the last few days, Google support has been too. I've tried the basics, different usb cord stock and not, factory reset going to stock, different kernels, different roms.

I can only get my nexus 7 2013 to charge when I go to bootloader, then to power off, then uplug the cord and plug back in fast. Once the device is on I get nothing when I plug the usb in, computer or AC. I used to be able to connect to PC no problem. I use the OTG cable a lot for HDDs and my camera, now nothing works. Tried USB debugging on and off and MTP.

I would just say the usb port broke somehow and go for an RMA but since it charges while it's off I feel like it's software related... If you guys have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Been trying to figure this out for the last few days, Google support has been too. I've tried the basics, different usb cord stock and not, factory reset going to stock, different kernels, different roms.

I can only get my nexus 7 2013 to charge when I go to bootloader, then to power off, then uplug the cord and plug back in fast. Once the device is on I get nothing when I plug the usb in, computer or AC. I used to be able to connect to PC no problem. I use the OTG cable a lot for HDDs and my camera, now nothing works. Tried USB debugging on and off and MTP.

I would just say the usb port broke somehow and go for an RMA but since it charges while it's off I feel like it's software related... If you guys have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

If you've tried different kernels, roms, and I assume different a PC, USB ports, USB cable, then you've eliminated software as a possibility, as well as external hardware, I would do a backup, (unroot and flash back to stock and relock is applicable) then RMA it, you're only delaying the inevitable by waiting it could be some corruption in the emmc, or some other hardware fault that might act unreliably.

morgang321

Aug 17, 2013
If you've tried different kernels, roms, and I assume different a PC, USB ports, USB cable, then you've eliminated software as a possibility, as well as external hardware, I would do a backup, (unroot and flash back to stock and relock is applicable) then RMA it, you're only delaying the inevitable by waiting it could be some corruption in the emmc, or some other hardware fault that might act unreliably.

Is there a way I can put it to full stock, bootloader and recovery through just the device. Since I can't connect to PC. The only way I came across was through the toolkits.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Is there a way I can put it to full stock, bootloader and recovery through just the device. Since I can't connect to PC. The only way I came across was through the toolkits.

Well, you can boot into a custom recovery I assume, so you can flash a rom from there (you can get zips from here), then you can root the device (needed for next step), that part is easy enough, the following is only theoretical, go into the OS, install that bootloader lock/unlock app, lock the bootloader, then unroot from within SuperSU (that last part I'm not sure of since you just relocked the bootloader, so not sure if it will work.) Of course even if all that did work, you will still have a custom recovery, so hopefully they won't see that, I believe there are apps which can install custom recoveries from within the OS, but I don't think they flash the stock one.

Maybe someone else more knowledgeable knows of a better/effective way and they will chime in and correct me, etc.

Last edited:

morgang321

Aug 17, 2013

Well, you can boot into a custom recovery I assume, so you can flash a rom from there (you can get zips from here), then you can root the device (needed for next step), that part is easy enough, the following is only theoretical, go into the OS, install that bootloader lock/unlock app, lock the bootloader, then unroot from within SuperSU (that last part I'm not sure of since you just relocked the bootloader, so not sure if it will work.) Of course even if all that did work, you will still have a custom recovery, so hopefully they won't see that, I believe there are apps which can install custom recoveries from within the OS, but I don't think they flash the stock one.

Maybe someone else more knowledgeable knows of a better/effective way and they will chime in and correct me, etc.

I do think this will work. I don't think flashing a recovery voids warranty if you aren't rooted and unlocked... Thank you for the help man. Wish it wasn't RMA but is what it is...

morgang321

Aug 17, 2013
No problem, good luck, let me know what happens.

I just did another factory reset. This time with Elemental kernel, stock 4.4.2 from google. Probably the 4th time I've factory reset but first time with this kernel. All of a sudden I got ADB connected to PC, first time I've had any response from usb while tablet was up and running for 3 days. Might not have to RMA after all

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
I just did another factory reset. This time with Elemental kernel, stock 4.4.2 from google. Probably the 4th time I've factory reset but first time with this kernel. All of a sudden I got ADB connected to PC, first time I've had any response from usb while tablet was up and running for 3 days. Might not have to RMA after all

I hope it stays fixed, sometimes problems caused by hardware can be intermittent. Keep testing it daily.