Let me vent .......

Search This thread

rumdada

Apr 3, 2011
Ok I'm coming from a iPhone 5s it was a solid device the screen was just too small and I get bored easily. Now don't get me wrong the HTC m8 is a great device but there are some minor things that bug me enough to want to vent on here lol

1. The emoji's why are they so stupid looking coming from an iPhone I don't even know what some of my friends send me some times I can't find a text message app that replicates iPhone emoji

2. My texts have been being split and in 2 messages with the 2nd part first wtf!!!!!!!

3. I can't send videos because it says they are too big.......... This is bull**** I could send any video without an issue on my iPhone

4. Ads there's ads everywhere !!! I get so many pop ups it's crazy along with massive ads on apps

Do you guys have any suggestions? Tips? This is very frustrating

Aside from that I love my phone no other gripes but honestley if they issues don't pan out for me I'll be going back to iPhone. I kind of plan on it for the 6 but I may not be able to wait if I keep getting these annoyances.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

androidbuff123

Aug 24, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Likewise I am coming from an iPhone. Yes.... IPhones are great. But you need to give yourself some time to get used to Android. I was on Android before. So switching back and forth is easy for me.
I don't have the issues that you seem to have. I think emojis have to do with the keyboard that you use. So try changing that. Never had the same issue with split text messages that you have. Yes in android ads are everywhere. Remember that Google is PRIMARILY a search engine company. .and how do they make money ? Yes by selling ads.

truciet

Feb 2, 2007
The HTC keyboard supports emoji, but it is a pain to switch to it. You can install another app or keyboard

The double text is due to the sender sending a text longer than 160 characters. The iOS automatically syncs them so you never noticed it's really two text. For android, some apps don't support this so that is why you see two text.

If you root, adaway will block 99% of the ads.

It'll take getting used to, but it's not bad. You just have to tweak. Some people love to tweak and some don't.

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013
Emoji looks fine to me. They are different because Apple will sue them if they look the same. Mms is 600k limit on Apple and Android. That is an at&t thing. IPhone will compress up to a 19 second video which is pretty much not viewable on the other end. Sms are the exact same with splitting messages. If you are using imessage on iPhone it does not split the message and does not compress video as bad. Imessage and facetime are the best things about Apple's ecosystem and it takes a minute to get used to not having them anymore. As far as ads, I only booted the stock system once to make sure phone was working before I rooted and unlocked it. Most roms have all ads and bloat removed. HTC phones are pretty much meant to be rooted as HTC are one of the only ones left who aren't locking their phones down like Apple. I'm sorry if you are not happy with your purchase but it's not an iPhone. This phone is imo the best phone to ever hit the market. It will do so much more than an iPhone could ever think of doing. Email your videos if you need to send them. There are some look alike iPhone Emoji keyboards on the play store. You can even theme it like an iPhone. Just remember you are using an android now so it will be different. Stick with it and before you know it you will smile ear to ear once you see what this thing can do.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: iTchill

nizbot

Oct 4, 2010
another for textra here, but just wanted to add to make sure you also install the textra emoji plugin. it might help your pain. imo splitting sms away from hangouts is a much better experience but different than apple.

where are you seeing ads? if you tell us we might be able to help point you in a better direction.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

acPIZZA

Feb 6, 2011
Your number one gripe is emoji?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

rumdada

Apr 3, 2011
Thanks guys that textra app works like a charm a million times better than stock messaging. I do love the abilities of this phone its just a growing pain getting away from imessage all my friends have iPhones but aside from that you guys answered my issue's

acPIZZA

Feb 6, 2011

I recommend hello sms. Google hangouts also has emoji.

You're not locked down to any particular app. If you find yourself not pleased with one of the pre installed apps - do a Google search for "best replacement xxx app"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

rumdada

Apr 3, 2011
Textra is very nice I'm pleased with that I tired go sms hello sms and hancent they were very awkward Textra is a nice feel now the only thing I could ask for now is to find a emoji plug in for swift key

nizbot

Oct 4, 2010
Textra is very nice I'm pleased with that I tired go sms hello sms and hancent they were very awkward Textra is a nice feel now the only thing I could ask for now is to find a emoji plug in for swift key

The emoji plugin for textra is what you're looking for, not SwiftKey. where else would you need emoji outside of sms/mms?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

HRodMusic

Nov 30, 2010
Seattle
1. Root your phone
2. Flash a custom Rom to remove bloat
3. install Adaway to remove ads
4. use Google Hangouts or Textra for Emoji

it sucks that you need to do all that to improve your experience,I tip my hat for iphones they are clean and no bloat, but android is just so much better you can do whatever you want with it lol give it some time and you will start to adapt trust me ;) i use both OS's and i love em both.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Emoji looks fine to me. They are different because Apple will sue them if they look the same. Mms is 600k limit on Apple and Android. That is an at&t thing. IPhone will compress up to a 19 second video which is pretty much not viewable on the other end. Sms are the exact same with splitting messages. If you are using imessage on iPhone it does not split the message and does not compress video as bad. Imessage and facetime are the best things about Apple's ecosystem and it takes a minute to get used to not having them anymore. As far as ads, I only booted the stock system once to make sure phone was working before I rooted and unlocked it. Most roms have all ads and bloat removed. HTC phones are pretty much meant to be rooted as HTC are one of the only ones left who aren't locking their phones down like Apple. I'm sorry if you are not happy with your purchase but it's not an iPhone. This phone is imo the best phone to ever hit the market. It will do so much more than an iPhone could ever think of doing. Email your videos if you need to send them. There are some look alike iPhone Emoji keyboards on the play store. You can even theme it like an iPhone. Just remember you are using an android now so it will be different. Stick with it and before you know it you will smile ear to ear once you see what this thing can do.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app