[GUIDE]make device faster & battery efficient (updated) (only market apps used)

Search This thread

sanny5

Dec 17, 2012
GOTHAM
Hi guys,
This is a guide to make ur device faster along with battery efficiency. Well this my method if doing it and it has worked for me for over 6 months. So thought I should share ^_^

I will only be using apps that are available on market along with some useful tips :) this is ultra simple

APPS NEEDED
*AUTO STARTS
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=auto+starts
*TASK KILLERs (don't use them)
*no frills CPU control
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...medium=organic&utm_term=no+frills+cpu+control
*link2sd
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...google&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=link+to+sd

NOTE- UR PHONE MUST BE ROOTED

INSTRUCTIONS

1.NEVER USE TASK KILLERS
Apps like Advanced Task Killer, the most popular task killer in the Market, act on the incorrect assumption that freeing up memory on an Android device is a good thing. When launched, it presents you with a list of "running" apps and the option to kill as many as you want. You can also hit the Menu button to access a more detailed "Services" view, that lists exactly which parts of each application are "running", how much memory they take up, and how much free memory is available on your phone. This set-up implies that the goal of killing these apps is to free up memory. Nowhere on the list does it mention the number of CPU cycles each app is consuming, only the memory you'll free by killing it. As we've learned, full memory is not a bad thing—we want to watch out for the CPU, the resource that actually slows down your phone and drains your battery life.

Thus, killing all but the essential apps (or telling Android to kill apps more aggressively with the "autokill" feature) is generally unnecessary. Furthermore, it's actually possible that this will worsen your phone's performance and battery life. Whether you're manually killing apps all the time or telling the task killer to aggressively remove apps from your memory, you're actually using CPU cycles when you otherwise wouldn't—killing apps that aren't doing anything in the first place.

In fact, some of the processes related to those apps will actually start right back up, further draining your CPU. If they don't, killing those processes can cause other sorts of problems—alarms don't go off, you don't receive text messages, or other related apps may force close without warning. All in all, you're usually better off letting your phone work as intended—especially if you're more of a casual user. In these instances, a task killer causes more problems than it solves.

Many apps are designed to get automatically launched under certain conditions . For example play store gets automatically launched when an app is installed or uninstalled. This is for the app to send a feed back so that the apps u install or uninstall gets into/out of the list of ur apps in play store. This is actually needed and useful. But many apps also have permissions that they actually don't need for eg many apps as I have observed aldico, music players etc etc (see ss) apps have permission to get auto started when the phone is switched on. Now when all these apps are getting turned on on their own there is a lot of ram used up. This slows ur phone.
Auto starts is an app which allows u to stop these apps from getting started unnessarily.
All u have to do is open it and tap on the function(when phone is booting up, when connectivity is changed,when a downloaded is completed etc etc). It shows what all apps get auto started when that function happens. Use your common sense or intuition and disable the apps that u feel are not required to start when that function happens for example I have disabled apps like aldico, phone etc etc under after startup and I have left apps like CPU controle, dsp manager,advanced task killer etc enabled because they are necessary to be started when the phone boots up
And do not touch servece apps under any function cause it will cause some problems...
uploadfromtaptalk1359740680846.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740694910.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740709861.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740727502.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740744143.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740758737.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740772848.jpg

Convert most frequently used apps like ur music player, launcher,file manager browser,gallery, keyboard and internet browser (if possible) etc to system apps (or u can also link then to ur SD card using link to SD .... keep reading ...the procedure is at the end). As I said when u launch an app it will be stored in memory for quick launching the next time u launch it. But as u launch different apps the old ones will get removed from memory. Also if apps are on SF card they are usually less responsive. By converting those apps into system apps u give them a better priority of being maintained in memory also as they are on phone memory they have easy access to their resources and become responsive thus giving u a better,smoother and responsive experiance. U can also convert less used apps into user apps and move them to SD. In my case gmail and social hub and news and whether... lol I have uninstalled them :p
The app used to move apps from internal to phone, to convert them from user to system apps etc is link2sd
See the video on play store along with app to know how to use it... I don't wana make this thread long and boring by telling all that :D
uploadfromtaptalk1359740919752.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740901384.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740883715.jpg

No frills CPU manager is an app which gives u access to change governers ans I/o schedulers for better performance or better efficiency. My suggestion is that
On a normal day :p put
Governer to bcm21553 and I/o to sio it helps to give both better performance and battery life (sio decreases the time taken between the switching of processes)
On a day u r at home or or ur relatives house I don't care :p where u can charge easily and feel like playing games put gov to performance and I/o to deadline
When u really want to conserve ur battery gov to conservative and I/o to noop
Over all the best combo is bcm21553 and sio (if u do not have bçm... in ur kernal eg kuro performance and noop will do)
Of course these are my personal suggestions u can use any combo u want as per ur experience once u get used to it :)
And check apply on boot
Also this is one of those apps which should auto start after boot (goes without saying :D )
uploadfromtaptalk1359740986190.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740973080.jpg

Do not use one if those full frleatured launcheres like(need no mention) which are heavy etc they drain battery as well as use up a lot of ram (upto 23mb in case of go launcher)
Use light weight launchers lie holo etc etc
Adw will also do as long as it is not adw ex and u do not use any themes. I perefer adw :)
Also keep a widget of advanced task..... on ur home screen (if u want.. I made mine transpare :p) to kill some apps when u think ur phone is laging.
uploadfromtaptalk1359741045236.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359741033748.jpg

6. Partitin sd card Link apps to SD card to make them run faster ( this is really effective)
Go to this thread of mine to learn more about it here
That is pretty much it guys... I will update this if I find any more or better tips than existing ones.
Pleez leave a comment if u have a better suggestion( that would be welcome :) ) or if u need any suggestion from Me ;)

Thank u
REGARDS

==============================
Keep calm and hit T H A N K S ;)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359740514010.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359740514010.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 569
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359740536557.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359740536557.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 564
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359740557620.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359740557620.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 533
  • uploadfromtaptalk1359740617942.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359740617942.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru
Re: [GUIDE]make device faster & battery efficient (only market apps used)

Don't use task killers they are horrible in every way

Phone Slow? go ------>HERE<------
Ubuntu phone OS announced
eqy8egub.jpg

what do u think share your thoughts --->HERE<---

menewtoroot

Oct 6, 2012
delhi

eqy8egub.jpg

Sry to correct u bt..each nd every task killer is different..
Have u tried advance task killer

** rooting is new for me,
nd i am a noob to root....:D:D**

Reactions: sanny5

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru

I don't want to get into an argument (especially with the declaration from the captain) but yes I have

Task killers were good from cupcake to eclair but since froyo (2.2) apps that are killed simply start back up again meaning it gets killed again then it starts and gets killed again that slows your phone down and wastes battery

Also if the app that was killed was connected to the internet it goes out with a burst out energy and reconnects with a burst of energy that drains battery the act of killing them also drains battery and the act of waiting around for an opportunity to kill them also drains battery that right there happens over and over again that does a number on speed and battery

If the app that is being killed had to revive receive push notifications I.e Facebook whatsapp etc u will either not receive these notifications or receive then delayed more problems

also multi tasking goes out the window as the app just gets closed after

See the only way to remedy some (not all) of those issues would be adding every app that receives push notifications to the ignore list adding every app that u might arty some point in time which to multi task with to the ignore list of this is done then what is the purpose of having a task killer then if it cannot kill anything and if it does in fact do so it will only serve to slow your phone down and waste it's battery

eqy8egub.jpg

Reactions: menewtoroot

menewtoroot

Oct 6, 2012
delhi

I don't want to get into an argument (especially with the declaration from the captain) but yes I have

Task killers were good from cupcake to eclair but since froyo (2.2) apps that are killed simply start back up again meaning it gets killed again then it starts and gets killed again that slows your phone down and wastes battery

Also if the app that was killed was connected to the internet it goes out with a burst out energy and reconnects with a burst of energy that drains battery the act of killing them also drains battery and the act of waiting around for an opportunity to kill them also drains battery that right there happens over and over again that does a number on speed and battery

If the app that is being killed had to revive receive push notifications I.e Facebook whatsapp etc u will either not receive these notifications or receive then delayed more problems

See the only way to remedy some (not all) of those issues would be adding every app that receives push notifications to the ignore list adding every app that u might arty some point in time which to multi task with to the ignore list of this is done then what is the purpose of having a task killer then if it cannot kill anything and if it does in fact do so it will only serve to slow your phone down and waste it's battery

eqy8egub.jpg

:eek::eek:
I didnt knw that much....
Sry if correct u wrongly..:(

Reactions: TingTingin

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru

Lol don't worry about it :)

eqy8egub.jpg

Reactions: menewtoroot

stokeyblokey

Jan 6, 2013
Stoke
All that task-killer stuff aside (I never use one personally), this is a good bit of infirmation collected together for beginners and I thank Sanny for his/her effort.

One thing worth mentioning about Link2SD is that you can really mess your phone up with it - emphasise taking a nandroid backup before using it or Doky will be having loads more "help I broke my phone" posts in his Firmware thread :laugh:

Cheers,

Stokey

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru

Lol it's a guy

One thing worth mentioning about Link2SD is that you can really mess your phone up

Cheers,

Stokey

Nothings gonna happen I've done it tons of times

eqy8egub.jpg

stokeyblokey

Jan 6, 2013
Stoke
Nothings gonna happen I've done it tons of times

Oh it is always recoverable but as I thought this guide was for newer users it was worth mentioning cos it can be quite scary when you discover you have uninstalled a crucial component and your phone no longer has connectivity for example :eek:

It is a great app, my first choice install on every ROM I have used so far :good:

Stokey

Reactions: CarlDeanCatabay

sanny5

Dec 17, 2012
GOTHAM

eqy8egub.jpg

Hello sir as I mentioned earlier some apps have permission to auto start up when a certain function is done... by restricting this in auto starts we can prevent them from getting back :) and getting killed again
Also I did mention to put ur frequently used apps and service apps to ignore remember...
Also I asked to put frequency to when screen is off
When screen is off there is no function done so no auto start so once killed apps don't come back
I also suggested to put a widget on ur screen to manually kill only when u want to ...
Sir I know wat n all problems tks cause ... I just gave tips to eliminate these problems and make proper use of them
I follow same method and get a good 2.5 days of battery life with good performance ^_^
And thank u all :)

TingTingin

Aug 13, 2012
peru

U can't stop that from happening we cannot write a app that can permanently kill a app that isn't in the foreground only android can do that our u yourself go into running services also the auto starts app can't disable a app from starting back after kill

eqy8egub.jpg

sanny5

Dec 17, 2012
GOTHAM

U can't stop that from happening we cannot write a app that can permanently kill a app that isn't in the foreground only android can do that our u yourself go into running services also the auto starts app can't disable a app from starting back after kill

eqy8egub.jpg

Hmm I duno how but it is doing its job pretty well for me ...
Any way thanks for the info ;)

gazzy21uk

Jun 18, 2011
Hmm I duno how but it is doing its job pretty well for me ...
Any way thanks for the info ;)

Hi been very usefull following this thread used taskkiller pro works fine but come across another app in another thread called App Quarantine ROOTFREEZE really good just disables apps you don't need also found system panel v1.1.2 which is good google them i'm new to posting so be gentle with me:)

was JBV3 now back to stock.

iskandar1023

Oct 4, 2012

For me advance task killer is not such a good idea, bcz after kill all runing app, the cpu is work run heavier. And make the battery much drained. In my experience Android/linux not same with windows, in windows less ram is better, but in linux more ram is better.
My method is,
1.use low brightness when possible
2.dont restart ur phone to often
3.set the governor and io sched properly.
4.Lock the phone immediately when u not use the phone, dont wait phone lock byself.
5.not using ***2sd if not necessary

For much faster device use seeder or Crossbreeder
And dont install application that u not need
Sorry for bad english

sent from my Galaxy Why with Love

sanny5

Dec 17, 2012
GOTHAM

For me advance task killer is not such a good idea, bcz after kill all runing app, the cpu is work run heavier. And make the battery much drained. In my experience Android/linux not same with windows, in windows less ram is better, but in linux more ram is better.
My method is,
1.use low brightness when possible
2.dont restart ur phone to often
3.set the governor and io sched properly.
4.Lock the phone immediately when u not use the phone, dont wait phone lock byself.
5.not using ***2sd if not necessary

For much faster device use seeder or Crossbreeder
And dont install application that u not need
Sorry for bad english

sent from my Galaxy Why with Love

12345 u don't say :D

sanny5

Dec 17, 2012
GOTHAM
Re: [GUIDE]make device faster & battery efficient (updated) (only market apps used)

UPDATED
*advanced task killer made optional
*added tip----> linking apps to sd-ext (really effective)

thoughtfully sent by S A N N Y 5...:cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,
    This is a guide to make ur device faster along with battery efficiency. Well this my method if doing it and it has worked for me for over 6 months. So thought I should share ^_^

I will only be using apps that are available on market along with some useful tips :) this is ultra simple

APPS NEEDED
    *AUTO STARTS
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=auto+starts
    *TASK KILLERs (don't use them)
    *no frills CPU control
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...medium=organic&utm_term=no+frills+cpu+control
    *link2sd
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...google&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=link+to+sd

NOTE- UR PHONE MUST BE ROOTED

INSTRUCTIONS

1.NEVER USE TASK KILLERS
    Apps like Advanced Task Killer, the most popular task killer in the Market, act on the incorrect assumption that freeing up memory on an Android device is a good thing. When launched, it presents you with a list of "running" apps and the option to kill as many as you want. You can also hit the Menu button to access a more detailed "Services" view, that lists exactly which parts of each application are "running", how much memory they take up, and how much free memory is available on your phone. This set-up implies that the goal of killing these apps is to free up memory. Nowhere on the list does it mention the number of CPU cycles each app is consuming, only the memory you'll free by killing it. As we've learned, full memory is not a bad thing—we want to watch out for the CPU, the resource that actually slows down your phone and drains your battery life.

Thus, killing all but the essential apps (or telling Android to kill apps more aggressively with the "autokill" feature) is generally unnecessary. Furthermore, it's actually possible that this will worsen your phone's performance and battery life. Whether you're manually killing apps all the time or telling the task killer to aggressively remove apps from your memory, you're actually using CPU cycles when you otherwise wouldn't—killing apps that aren't doing anything in the first place.

In fact, some of the processes related to those apps will actually start right back up, further draining your CPU. If they don't, killing those processes can cause other sorts of problems—alarms don't go off, you don't receive text messages, or other related apps may force close without warning. All in all, you're usually better off letting your phone work as intended—especially if you're more of a casual user. In these instances, a task killer causes more problems than it solves.

Many apps are designed to get automatically launched under certain conditions . For example play store gets automatically launched when an app is installed or uninstalled. This is for the app to send a feed back so that the apps u install or uninstall gets into/out of the list of ur apps in play store. This is actually needed and useful. But many apps also have permissions that they actually don't need for eg many apps as I have observed aldico, music players etc etc (see ss) apps have permission to get auto started when the phone is switched on. Now when all these apps are getting turned on on their own there is a lot of ram used up. This slows ur phone.
    Auto starts is an app which allows u to stop these apps from getting started unnessarily.
    All u have to do is open it and tap on the function(when phone is booting up, when connectivity is changed,when a downloaded is completed etc etc). It shows what all apps get auto started when that function happens. Use your common sense or intuition and disable the apps that u feel are not required to start when that function happens for example I have disabled apps like aldico, phone etc etc under after startup and I have left apps like CPU controle, dsp manager,advanced task killer etc enabled because they are necessary to be started when the phone boots up
    And do not touch servece apps under any function cause it will cause some problems...
    uploadfromtaptalk1359740680846.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740694910.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740709861.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740727502.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740744143.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740758737.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740772848.jpg

Convert most frequently used apps like ur music player, launcher,file manager browser,gallery, keyboard and internet browser (if possible) etc to system apps (or u can also link then to ur SD card using link to SD .... keep reading ...the procedure is at the end). As I said when u launch an app it will be stored in memory for quick launching the next time u launch it. But as u launch different apps the old ones will get removed from memory. Also if apps are on SF card they are usually less responsive. By converting those apps into system apps u give them a better priority of being maintained in memory also as they are on phone memory they have easy access to their resources and become responsive thus giving u a better,smoother and responsive experiance. U can also convert less used apps into user apps and move them to SD. In my case gmail and social hub and news and whether... lol I have uninstalled them :p
    The app used to move apps from internal to phone, to convert them from user to system apps etc is link2sd
    See the video on play store along with app to know how to use it... I don't wana make this thread long and boring by telling all that :D
    uploadfromtaptalk1359740919752.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740901384.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740883715.jpg

No frills CPU manager is an app which gives u access to change governers ans I/o schedulers for better performance or better efficiency. My suggestion is that
    On a normal day :p put
    Governer to bcm21553 and I/o to sio it helps to give both better performance and battery life (sio decreases the time taken between the switching of processes)
    On a day u r at home or or ur relatives house I don't care :p where u can charge easily and feel like playing games put gov to performance and I/o to deadline
    When u really want to conserve ur battery gov to conservative and I/o to noop
    Over all the best combo is bcm21553 and sio (if u do not have bçm... in ur kernal eg kuro performance and noop will do)
    Of course these are my personal suggestions u can use any combo u want as per ur experience once u get used to it :)
    And check apply on boot
    Also this is one of those apps which should auto start after boot (goes without saying :D )
    uploadfromtaptalk1359740986190.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359740973080.jpg

Do not use one if those full frleatured launcheres like(need no mention) which are heavy etc they drain battery as well as use up a lot of ram (upto 23mb in case of go launcher)
    Use light weight launchers lie holo etc etc
    Adw will also do as long as it is not adw ex and u do not use any themes. I perefer adw :)
    Also keep a widget of advanced task..... on ur home screen (if u want.. I made mine transpare :p) to kill some apps when u think ur phone is laging.
    uploadfromtaptalk1359741045236.jpguploadfromtaptalk1359741033748.jpg

6. Partitin sd card Link apps to SD card to make them run faster ( this is really effective)
    Go to this thread of mine to learn more about it here
    That is pretty much it guys... I will update this if I find any more or better tips than existing ones.
    Pleez leave a comment if u have a better suggestion( that would be welcome :) ) or if u need any suggestion from Me ;)

Thank u
    REGARDS

eqy8egub.jpg

eqy8egub.jpg

eqy8egub.jpg

Lol don't worry about it :)

eqy8egub.jpg