[MOD][Xposed] SkypeX - Version spoofing for Skype app

Search This thread

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
This is a simple mod to fill request by @AquilaChill located here. It's an adaptation of the original mod done by @Mr.Its located here and also by @MassiveEffect located here.

It spoofs the version number that the app sends to Micro$oft's servers. The app has a preference screen, which is located in Xposed Installer->Modules (no launcher icon per request).

Make sure you have your preferred version of Skype installed first, then launch the module preferences at least once.

It should work with older (<= 3.x) and newer versions (>= 4.x) of the Skype app. Once you change the spoofed version, make sure you fully exit Skype (kill app) before restarting it.

Also available in the Xposed Repo

You'll need to have the Xposed Framework installed and working for this module to do anything.

Changelog

• v1.0 - Initial release
  • v1.1 - Reworded preferences to add clarification to module intent
    Added support for dual Skype installations in preferences
    Added module icon for preference screen
  • v1.2 - Fixed dual app support
  • v1.2.1 - Added support for older Skype app (<= 2.x)

It appears that Microsoft has changed how it gets an authenticated session. @PiggyFlooper has figured out how to get older versions of Skype working with the help of Titanium Backup and this module:

Got Skype inverted 4.0.0....modded by theo0so to work with module v.1_2_1 on ics 4.0.3!
Used custom version in skypeX as current version 5.0.0.52727
Downloaded Skype from Play Store.
I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it, but, in Xprivacy, blocked /proc, serial, and getString in ID, and getDeviceid in Phone. -- (XPrivacy may not be needed per @nardeeno here)
Opened Skype and signed in. Backed up Skype with Titanium B.
Uninstalled Skype, reinstalled inverted version. Restored Skype data only in T.B.
Opened Skype and puh pow!

Attachments

• SkypeX_v1.0.apk
    310.6 KB · Views: 272
  • Screenshot_2014-08-27-20-19-43.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-27-20-19-43.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 6,901
  • Screenshot_2014-08-27-20-19-47.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-27-20-19-47.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 6,999
  • SkypeX_v1.2.apk
    397.6 KB · Views: 99
  • SkypeX_v1.2.1.apk
    396.8 KB · Views: 1,080
Last edited:

thanhdoku

Nov 19, 2013
This is a simple mod to fill request by @AquilaChill located here. It's an adaptation of the original mod done by @theos0o located here.

It spoofs the version number that the app sends to Micro$oft's servers. The app has a preference screen, which is located in Xposed Installer->Modules (no launcher icon per request).

It should work with older (<= 3.x) and newer versions (>= 4.x) of the Skype app. Once you change the spoofed version, make sure you fully exit Skype (kill app) before restarting it.

What advantages if any are there to using an older version of the Skype Android application?

Reactions: phubarr and htr5

Kocane

Apr 29, 2012
I love modules like this but I gotta say that the latest version of Skype works the best. It got best battery, push so messages almost always gets delivered and it syncs messages when logging in fast and seamless. You can even greenify skype while logged in and you will receive messages anyway due to push. Means absolute minimum battery/memory usage

cristicaras

Nov 27, 2012
Iasi
After I installed Skype 3.2 and Skype X module, I try to connect, but " You cannot to sign at this time. Try yor settings connection bla bla bla ..." Why ?

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
No, I used my Skype acount.

What version did you spoof? I tested Skype v3.2.x using the 5.0.x spoof and it let me login using the Skype account.

Also, did you run the mod preferences at least once after Skype was installed? It needs to grab the installed version and write it to the preferences file in order for the module to work.

cristicaras

Nov 27, 2012
Iasi
What version did you spoof? I tested Skype v3.2.x using the 5.0.x spoof and it let me login using the Skype account.

Also, did you run the mod preferences at least once after Skype was installed? It needs to grab the installed version and write it to the preferences file in order for the module to work.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=42426671&postcount=2941&nocache=1&z=8957994726952165
I try v.19.1 inverted ,with Microsoft acount, I select 3.2.0.06673 in Skype X module, but I can't sign in.0

Last edited:

AquilaChill

Jan 17, 2011
Thank you :)

Thank you for making this, but seems have some things to debug, I'll send you a link of my whole xposed log
Tested on 4.0.0.17847 v20b inverted & not working, according to logs it seems to think I'm on skype <== 3 & throws some java errors after that, on my stock rooted TW 4.2.2 MF9 SGS4 SPH-L720.

But I'd like to point out that theos0o didn't spoof anything (other people posted spoofed versions of his great mod), theos0o moded skype to do things like video chat on more devices, selectable notification sounds, bluetooth tweaks & other nice things.

In the app its not clear whether to select the version your trying to spoof (installed) or what your trying to spoof it as (newer version that MS allows to connect).

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Thank you for making this, but seems have some things to debug, I'll send you a link of my whole xposed log
Tested on 4.0.0.17847 v20b inverted & not working, according to logs it seems to think I'm on skype <== 3 & throws some java errors after that, on my stock rooted TW 4.2.2 MF9 SGS4 SPH-L720.

But I'd like to point out that theos0o didn't spoof anything (other people posted spoofed versions of his great mod), theos0o moded skype to do things like video chat on more devices, selectable notification sounds, bluetooth tweaks & other nice things.

In the app its not clear whether to select the version your trying to spoof (installed) or what your trying to spoof it as (newer version that MS allows to connect).

It's possible that particular version of the Skype app uses a different getVersion() method (or d() method in the old <= 3.x).

I can add clarification to the preferences so that it's clearer regarding what exactly the module will do.

cristicaras

Nov 27, 2012
Iasi
I try to keep 2 versions simultaneus. Latest version,for Wifi,and v.19.1,for 3G connection. For that I modified 19.1 package name in Androidmanifest.xml (com.skype_mod.ryder).That is the reason for I can't sign in,but in other device,only Skype 19.1,with your Skype X module,work fine. Thank you sir for your great work. It is possible keep two Skype versions in same device ? Skype 19.1 is more smooth for 3G connection. Thank you again, and sorry for my poor english. I'm romanian. Best regards.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
I try to keep 2 versions simultaneus. Latest version,for Wifi,and v.19.1,for 3G connection. For that I modified 19.1 package name in Androidmanifest.xml (com.skype_mod.ryder).That is the reason for I can't sign in,but in other device,only Skype 19.1,with your Skype X module,work fine. Thank you sir for your great work. It is possible keep two Skype versions in same device ? Skype 19.1 is more smooth for 3G connection. Thank you again, and sorry for my poor english. I'm romanian. Best regards.

I can add a preference to allow you to type in a custom package name that you've altered in the manifest. Then it would apply the spoofed version to both the official com.skype.raider and com.skype_mod.ryder package.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA

I got your logs and downloaded the inverted v20 from theos0o's thread. When I tested it with the module, my log shows:

Code:
[2014-08-29 09:44:40] SkypeX: Installed Skype version is >= 4
[2014-08-29 09:44:40] SkypeX: setting version to 5.0.0.49715

And proceeds to log me in using my Skype login. Did you at some point have a 3.x version installed prior to the 4.x version? Try clearing data for the SkypeX module, which will wipe the preferences file. Open the module prefs and reselect your settings. Then try your Skype 4.0.0.17847 and see if it works.

Your preferences file located at /data/data/com.dr8.xposed.skypex/shared_prefs should resemble the following:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<map>
    <string name="skypever">4.0.0.17847</string>
    <string name="manual_version"></string>
    <string name="version">5.0.0.49715</string>
    <boolean name="debug" value="true" />
</map>

cristicaras

Nov 27, 2012
Iasi
Give the latest version a try and let me know if it works for you.
Thank you very much sir for your work. I installed SkypeX v1.1, but I can't sign in with Skype 19.1 modified. I don't know why. Other modification in Androidmanifest.xml ? I don't know. That is ! Your module is great. My gratitude for you . Best regards.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Thank you very much sir for your work. I installed SkypeX v1.1, but I can't sign in with Skype 19.1 modified. I don't know why. Other modification in Androidmanifest.xml ? I don't know. That is ! Your module is great. My gratitude for you . Best regards.

You enable the dual app mode, then type in the package name of your 2nd Skype app into the field below the switchbox. You said it was com.skype_custom.ryder or something of that sort? Can you enable debugging and send the xposed error.log to me?

Last edited:

AquilaChill

Jan 17, 2011
your right I did have 3.2 & seems it did stick that in the prefs, perhaps have it check the installed version when you open the settings (orig thought it did) or a button to do so?

I need to reboot for v1.1, will test sooner or later

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a simple mod to fill request by @AquilaChill located here. It's an adaptation of the original mod done by @Mr.Its located here and also by @MassiveEffect located here.

Make sure you have your preferred version of Skype installed first, then launch the module preferences at least once.

You'll need to have the Xposed Framework installed and working for this module to do anything.

Changelog

• v1.0 - Initial release
    • v1.1 - Reworded preferences to add clarification to module intent
      Added support for dual Skype installations in preferences
      Added module icon for preference screen
    • v1.2 - Fixed dual app support
    • v1.2.1 - Added support for older Skype app (<= 2.x)

It appears that Microsoft has changed how it gets an authenticated session. @PiggyFlooper has figured out how to get older versions of Skype working with the help of Titanium Backup and this module:

Got Skype inverted 4.0.0....modded by theo0so to work with module v.1_2_1 on ics 4.0.3!
    Used custom version in skypeX as current version 5.0.0.52727
    Downloaded Skype from Play Store.
    I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it, but, in Xprivacy, blocked /proc, serial, and getString in ID, and getDeviceid in Phone. -- (XPrivacy may not be needed per @nardeeno here)
    Opened Skype and signed in. Backed up Skype with Titanium B.
    Uninstalled Skype, reinstalled inverted version. Restored Skype data only in T.B.
    Opened Skype and puh pow!
    I followed this thread from October. However I just found out a small tip for who wants to run 2 skype id on same android device without xpose module.
    - Download and Install version from google play.
    - Download and install version from skype China website. Because Google service is not availabe in China so Skype must publish a version for this market on their website. I tried and it worked perfectly.

I checked the package name, one from GPlay is com.skype.rider and one from Skype China's website is com.skype.rover. That's the same method with this xposed module (2 apps with 2 different package name) but it can be considered as official way from Skype :p

Hope this help :) Of course if you want to run more than 2 id, using this xpose module still works well :D But for 2 ids, this is much easier.
    Link for Skype China Website's download page: http://skype.gmw.cn/down/skype-for-mobiles.html
    Thank you buddy!
    Can you send me a working version based on skype 3.xx please?

Unfortunately the 3.xx version that was working (v19.1) is no longer working. I'm not sure if it's a Microsoft server issue or I need to do something else in the module. IF Microsoft didn't want users to be able to use older versions of the app, they could easily do that by requiring different information during the login process that the older apps can't provide.

Since I don't actually use Skype, I can't allocate the time it would take to reverse-engineer their login process from the newer app versions and integrate that into their older versions (via the module). If you or anyone else finds a solution that can be easily worked into my module, I'll of course update it.
    This is a simple mod to fill request by @AquilaChill located here. It's an adaptation of the original mod done by @theos0o located here.

What advantages if any are there to using an older version of the Skype Android application?
    Tried to re launch, still nothing :S

Try clearing the data for SkypeX and then relaunch. It should rewrite the prefs. Then reboot and launch Skype.

I'm testing this configuration now and am also getting the "Cannot connect to Skype" error. I see that the version is being spoofed correctly, and I even tried updating it to the latest version manually (5.0.0.52727). It's possible that Microsoft changed something on their backend to disallow clients that don't send more information during login. I'd have to take apart the latest official version and figure out what's going on.