O2 Stellar and HTC X button

Search This thread

spider_j

Jan 24, 2007
I'd be grateful if anyone could offer any help with this issue.

I have an O2 branded version of the Kaiser. I have installed various of the cabs for HTC software available on this forum - which is excellent, by the way - and was very glad to find an "X" button solution.

Unfortunately, the device then started to crash whenever I closed a program for the first time and had to soft reset. I got a message saying that there was a problem with the shell.

As it stopped when I uninstalled HTC X Button, I am 99% certain that it was source of my problem. O2 stick a program manager in the system bar. It does not add X button functionality, but it does allow manual closure of a program. It does not appear ion any program list, and cannot be removed or closed itself, so I assume that it is part of the rom (not that I am an expert!)

Can anyone confirm this problem, and/or suggest a (preferably freely available) X button program that does not cause any issues? Alternatively, can the (fairly useless) O2 program be removed or closed without replacing the rom?

smittyofdhs

Apr 28, 2003
Desert Hot Springs, CA
you are probably correct that the 2 apps are causing the issue. Have you looked in the \windows\startup folder for the O2 app? Also, there is a registry entry called INIT that does startup of services for the device. I can't remember right now where it's located in the registry. Let me know if you find anything in the startup folder and if not, I'll look up the key for you.

spider_j

Jan 24, 2007
There is a file called O2 Custom in the Startup folder which has the same icon as the manager program I want rid of, but it is only 21b in size, so I assume that it is a shortcut.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would be grateful for some guidance on thew registry, since I am too inexperienced with this stuff to go poking around without very specific instructions!

smittyofdhs

Apr 28, 2003
Desert Hot Springs, CA
There is a file called O2 Custom in the Startup folder which has the same icon as the manager program I want rid of, but it is only 21b in size, so I assume that it is a shortcut.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would be grateful for some guidance on thew registry, since I am too inexperienced with this stuff to go poking around without very specific instructions!

that startup is probably it. you can try to cut&paste the shortcut to your 'my documents' folder, then reboot, then see if that o2 app is started after reboot. if not, then you found the solution.

cotc2001

Nov 28, 2004
www.justhom.com
I wonder if we are able to do a "corporate" install after hard reset like I used to be able to do with my Universal so it doesn't load all the 02 rubbish

spider_j

Jan 24, 2007
Works like a charm, thanks smittyofdhs. The o2 program manager is gone, and HTC XButton 1.51 has not caused any soft resets so far.

You know, I feel really stupid not realising that removing the shortcut from startup would have done the job. I would have done the equivalent on my desktop or laptop without even thinking about it.

ellergek

Dec 30, 2007
HTC has a new version of their Task Manager (V2.0) that can be found pretty easily by searching this website. The only problem I have with HTC's Task Manager(s) is that while the "X" functionality works in every application, the Task Manager feature seems to work only on the Today screen. Therefore, I have found WkTask to be a very good free task manager which also combines a program launcher.