Camera any better...?

Search This thread

gino_76ph

May 25, 2011
London
Hi.

I currently have an Xperia SP and i found the battery life to be pretty good for the tasks and routines i do everyday. It seems that Sony has properly optimised the OS and battery life on their phones this time.

But the biggest issue of my Xperia SP was the camera. Zoom is atrocious and near abysmal with lots of noise and artefacts. Burst mode and shot-to-shots/in-between shots was non-existent. Lag was a mile wide. ANY type of image stabilisation was just nothing.

Is the Z1 camera zoom unlike the SP's?

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com
Hi.

I currently have an Xperia SP and i found the battery life to be pretty good for the tasks and routines i do everyday. It seems that Sony has properly optimised the OS and battery life on their phones this time.

But the biggest issue of my Xperia SP was the camera. Zoom is atrocious and near abysmal with lots of noise and artefacts. Burst mode and shot-to-shots/in-between shots was non-existent. Lag was a mile wide. ANY type of image stabilisation was just nothing.

Really wouldn't recommend zooming on a smartphone unless it's optical. But the camera itself is alot better. But low light is awful

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: gino_76ph

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008
It doesn't have OIS no...

And zooming on a smartphone is always crap, same as when you zoom in on a picture on the computer. Optical zoom != Optical Image Stabilization. OIS is great but doesn't define the phone, LG2 has OIS but still has issues with low light scenes. Also, OIS is only useful when shooting stills, it only corrects for minor movement of the phone itself not for movement of other objects.

G

GuestX0057

OIS is great but doesn't define the phone, LG2 has OIS but still has issues with low light scenes. Also, OIS is only useful when shooting stills, it only corrects for minor movement of the phone itself not for movement of other objects.
The irony is that the one of the best benefits of OIS would be to stabilize the device when using a separate camera button because that causes mild movement. And ironically the phone that has OIS (LG G2) doesn't have a camera button and the one that has the button (Xperia Z1) doesn't have OIS :) Another benefit for OIS would be when taking pictures in cold weather such as winter or on skiing trips if the cold is enough to cause hands to shake a bit.

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008
The irony is that the one of the best benefits of OIS would be to stabilize the device when using a separate camera button because that causes mild movement. And ironically the phone that has OIS (LG G2) doesn't have a camera button and the one that has the button (Xperia Z1) doesn't have OIS :) Another benefit for OIS would be when taking pictures in cold weather such as winter or on skiing trips if the cold is enough to cause hands to shake a bit.

Heh, indeed... I am a big fan of OIS btw (Had the Lumia920 for a while, worked wonders there). But it's not the holy grail (but indeed, I wish the Z1 had it).

gino_76ph

May 25, 2011
London
It would seem that's one of the major "flaws" of the Z1...having no OIS. I'm quite happy with my G2 when it comes to stills. Not much into taking videos though.

One factor i'm looking in a phone is the shutter lag. My old S3 LTE and my other phone (iPhone 5C) has an almost instantaneous/zero shutter lag just by tapping the on-screen shutter button. For me its a big advantage on a phone.

G

GuestX0057

It would seem that's one of the major "flaws" of the Z1...having no OIS. I'm quite happy with my G2 when it comes to stills. Not much into taking videos though.

One factor i'm looking in a phone is the shutter lag. My old S3 LTE and my other phone (iPhone 5C) has an almost instantaneous/zero shutter lag just by tapping the on-screen shutter button. For me its a big advantage on a phone.
I wouldn't classify the lack of OIS as a major flaw, it's just a deficiency of something that could be useful and improve the camera.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.

Really wouldn't recommend zooming on a smartphone unless it's optical. But the camera itself is alot better. But low light is awful

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    It doesn't have OIS no...

And zooming on a smartphone is always crap, same as when you zoom in on a picture on the computer. Optical zoom != Optical Image Stabilization. OIS is great but doesn't define the phone, LG2 has OIS but still has issues with low light scenes. Also, OIS is only useful when shooting stills, it only corrects for minor movement of the phone itself not for movement of other objects.

Heh, indeed... I am a big fan of OIS btw (Had the Lumia920 for a while, worked wonders there). But it's not the holy grail (but indeed, I wish the Z1 had it).