********** whelp, this sucks, firewater can not work on your device **********
********** no amount of reflashing, retrying, or ruuing will fix... **********
********** DO NOT COME TO IRC ASKING FOR UPDATES OR ETAS!!!!!! **********
********** if we are able to fix this issue, it will be announced **********
********** bye bye.....sorry it didn't work out. **********

exad

Jan 26, 2010
Montreal
As the message says. You did nothing wrong. Some M8s are not able to achieve s-off.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
Just outside of Manchester UK
Can anyone help please, im going mad!

Why cant is-off? M8, rooted, international, stock rom

********** whelp, this sucks, firewater can not work on your device **********
********** no amount of reflashing, retrying, or ruuing will fix... **********
********** DO NOT COME TO IRC ASKING FOR UPDATES OR ETAS!!!!!! **********
********** if we are able to fix this issue, it will be announced **********
********** bye bye.....sorry it didn't work out. **********

Read the thread. Especially the final post as Beaups has closed the thread. Some devices simply aren't working.

The explanation isn't being given but believe the message.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708464&page=114

maxrdlf95

Sep 8, 2012
USA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
there is no need to be S-OFF you only need this if you want to change CID and model to put an official firmware and get ota updates for example convert to WWE o GPE

well with soff you can remove the TAMPERED and the Red warning that its a little annoying ... that's the only advantage

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
there is no need to be S-OFF you only need this if you want to change CID and model to put an official firmware and get ota updates for example convert to WWE o GPE

well with soff you can remove the TAMPERED and the Red warning that its a little annoying ... that's the only advantage

You can also flash partitions that you normally wouldn't be able to flash. With just HTC unlock I think you can flash system, boot and recovery only. With s-off you can write ANY partition on the device. Which could be dangerous and lead to bricks if you flash something to the wrong partition. Like flashing recovery or boot to the bootloader partition. Why HTC dev unlock some parts, it doesn't unlock anything that could potentially hard brick your device.. It simply won't allow you do.. With s-off you can flash whatever partition you want and there is nothing stopping you from flashing the radio to the system or the boot IMG to the bootloader..

So if you don't know what you're doing s-off can cause a hard brick.. Just unlocking the bootloader via HTCDev you will be safe from hard bricking your device..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

maxrdlf95

Sep 8, 2012
USA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
You can also flash partitions that you normally wouldn't be able to flash. With just HTC unlock I think you can flash system, boot and recovery only. With s-off you can write ANY partition on the device. Which could be dangerous and lead to bricks if you flash something to the wrong partition. Like flashing recovery or boot to the bootloader partition. Why HTC dev unlock some parts, it doesn't unlock anything that could potentially hard brick your device.. It simply won't allow you do.. With s-off you can flash whatever partition you want and there is nothing stopping you from flashing the radio to the system or the boot IMG to the bootloader..

So if you don't know what you're doing s-off can cause a hard brick.. Just unlocking the bootloader via HTCDev you will be safe from hard bricking your device..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Exactly and normally we dont need to touch that partitions.. :D I think you can flash radio also..

bah77

Apr 9, 2014
The reason I wanted s-off is because adaway isn't working correctly at applying the host file.

Also I thought I needed s-off to revert back to stock Rom if and when needed after installing a custom rom.

A custom rom is what I might have to do as I really wanted gravity box and xposed / gravity box won't work with sense

Last edited:

grentuu

Jan 9, 2011
Just outside of Manchester UK
The reason I wanted s-off is because adaway isn't working correctly at applying the host file.

Also I thought I needed s-off to revert back to stock Rom if and when needed after installing a custom rom.

A custom rom is what I might have to do as I really wanted gravity box and xposed / gravity box won't work with sense

For the moment the question is academic... unfortunately it can't be done, no matter what reason you need it for :(

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com

You don't need s-off for the adway host file. You just need to disable the system write protection(even if you are rooted). There are custom kernels that have it built in and some roms as well. there is also a kernel module that does it for you. Yes, when you s-off it also removes the write protection from the /system but you don't NEED s-off for that..You can do it with the kernel module or kernel. You also don't need s-off to return to stock. When RUU's are relased all you have to do is run the one for your model and it will restore it.. With s-off you can flash any RUU from any carrier pretty much, without s-off it will only allow you to flash RUU's that are made that that specific carrier/region