Stupid question

Search This thread

joshua.justice

Feb 12, 2011
Cincinnati
I'm wondering if there's any other differences than our S5's coming with Verizon apps and the bootloader being locked? I'm thinking all the radios/frequency bands are the exact same. Correct me if I'm wrong.

G

GuestK00143

I'm wondering if there's any other differences than our S5's coming with Verizon apps and the bootloader being locked? I'm thinking all the radios/frequency bands are the exact same. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.:) No, different carriers use different bands. I'm not sure who uses what but I know they are different.

joshua.justice

Feb 12, 2011
Cincinnati
The only stupid question is the one not asked.:) No, different carriers use different bands. I'm not sure who uses what but I know they are different.

I know different carriers use different bands, but my question is are all bands present on all phones. So say they release a GPE Galaxy S5, if all the bands are there presumably I'd be able to use it on Verizon if all bands are there.

G

GuestK00143

I know different carriers use different bands, but my question is are all bands present on all phones. So say they release a GPE Galaxy S5, if all the bands are there presumably I'd be able to use it on Verizon if all bands are there.
The bands might be present but I know they omit things like CDMA antennas on the Virgin Mobile phones so you can't use those bands. They might work somewhat but wouldn't be fully functional for roaming and 4GLTE and such.

PuffJr2

May 4, 2013

If i recall correctly. The GSM based versions do not have support for CDMA, while VZW variants have support for GSM/HSPA+/UMTS.