how to get the htc one m8 back to s-on

Search This thread

gustav30

Jul 20, 2010
LG G8X ThinQ
I locked bootloader, ran ruu, back to s-on.
Sent phone back to HTC and I just got am email that repair is finished.
I'm just hoping they didn't change the motherboard for any other reason so I can go back to s-off when it returns.

Reactions: FxJohnnyEng

billyboy77

Dec 24, 2014
How do I get my second hand HTC One M8 32gb up to date?

Hi

Bricked my old 16gb HTC One M8 - sending to HTC for repair tomorrow.

Ordered a replacement 32gb HTC One M8 from Hong Kong. It was billed as 'new' but on arrival it appears to be S-OFF but locked. Full bootloader details below:

*** LOCKED ***
M8_UL_CA PVT SHIP S-OFF
CID-11111111
HBOOT-3.16.0.0000
RADIO-1.15.2133156.UA13G
OpenDSP-v38.2.2-00542-M8974.0311
OS-1.54.401.5
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Mar 22 2014,00:53:32.16037

Whenever I try to update OTA, it tells me my phone is not stock and the update doesn't install. I just want to get the phone back to stock with the latest OTA firmware, nothing more. What would my best course of action be here?

D

Darth

Hi

Ordered a replacement 32gb HTC One M8 from Hong Kong. It was billed as 'new' but on arrival it appears to be S-OFF but locked. Full bootloader details below:

*** LOCKED ***
M8_UL_CA PVT SHIP S-OFF
CID-11111111
HBOOT-3.16.0.0000
RADIO-1.15.2133156.UA13G
OS-1.54.401.5
eMMC-boot 2048MB

Whenever I try to update OTA, it tells me my phone is not stock and the update doesn't install. I just want to get the phone back to stock with the latest OTA firmware, nothing more. What would my best course of action be here?

You're supercid. Pretty sure you won't get an ota with supercid.

You likely need to replace your CID with the original. And if your on stock rom and Stock recovery and have no system changes, you should get OTA's.

But flashing your carriers RUU would work too.

Ampicillin

Mar 17, 2010
Tianjin
Why do most peoples asking for OTA Updates? Isn't Custom ROM supposed to be as smooth as Official ones? Or they just want some minor changes that HTC made! :)

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
You're supercid. Pretty sure you won't get an ota with supercid.

You likely need to replace your CID with the original. And if your on stock rom and Stock recovery and have no system changes, you should get OTA's.

But flashing your carriers RUU would work too.

If the phone is s off you can flash the firmware and ota. I'd leave it s off. Or you can run the RUU for the latest update and be stock but remain s off. Don't give up s off

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

behtjes

Feb 1, 2015
debranding and back to s-on

I've debranded my tmob branded m8 to the general m8 software.
basically i did this:
s-off
changed my cid (tmob003 to htc_e11)
runned the ruu
removed the tampered banner
locked the bootloader

so now I have it fully stock firmware with s-off. Is it possible to get it s-on with the fastboot command? Or should my phone cid be tmob003 first instead of the modified htc_e11?

sulakkhana

May 30, 2015
Nope as I wrote it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My HTC M8 won't install OTA updates and says I have modified version of the software. The software is official but comes with S-OFF. For some reason under "Settings > About > Tell HTC and error reporting" it says that I own a "Test Device" in red colour. I have been trying various methods but still unable to install the update. Didn't try installing it manually

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Hi

*** LOCKED ***
M8_UL_CA PVT SHIP S-OFF
CID-11111111
HBOOT-3.16.0.0000
RADIO-1.15.2133156.UA13G
OS-1.54.401.5
eMMC-boot 2048MB

I have the same problem. Under "Settings > About > Tell HTC and error reporting" it says that I own a "Test Device" in red colour. I have been trying various methods but still unable to install the update. Didn't try installing it manually.

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
My HTC M8 won't install OTA updates and says I have modified version of the software. The software is official but comes with S-OFF. For some reason under "Settings > About > Tell HTC and error reporting" it says that I own a "Test Device" in red colour. I have been trying various methods but still unable to install the update. Didn't try installing it manually

Your problem is nothing related on what this thread all about.
It has nothing to do with S-Off/S-On thing .. you better make a new Q&A thread to get help or search any of that many "unable to OTA" threads and continue there.

Feb 9, 2016
back to s on

Nothing, all the command does is set the phone back to S-ON. You have to be 100% stock, and I mean 100%, otherwise it can possibly brick the phone
but how does 100% stock mean?
1. my HBOOT is stock.
2.my HBOOT is loacked.
3.my CID has been changed to superCID.
may i command that to get from s off to s on?

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
but how does 100% stock mean?
1. my HBOOT is stock.
2.my HBOOT is loacked.
3.my CID has been changed to superCID.
may i command that to get from s off to s on?

No, 100% stock means that everything on your phone is how it was when you first bought it. That includes ROM (not the exact ROM you first got, but whatever the latest version of your CIDs ROM would be), CID, recovery - EVERYTHING

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
i reverted my phone back to s on ... but still I m not getting the ota updates :(

S-on or s-off has nothing to do with getting OTA updates (you can update with s-off), so you wasted your time making it s-on. And I typically recommend staying s-off for most folks (once they have s-off), as it gives you more freedom and more options when problems arise (unless the intent is to go back "full stock" for some reason other than updates).

For updates, you need to restore the stock ROM (never rooted, unrooting does not work) and stock recovery. S-off is okay, and unlocked bootloader is okay (to OTA).

Guide and files to return to stock ROM and stock recovery are here:
http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/help/tutorial-how-to-stock-stock-twrp-t3086860

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi there,

i have searched along the internet a lot time ago and i cant find guide to: how to get back my htc one m8 from s-off to s-on.

if there is a such guide, i would be happy to use it :)

fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
    @EddyOS: I know, you must hate me, I keep asking you the same questions in different threads. :p

Why everything stock? Isn't it enough to revert those things protected by the security flag back to stock? (e.g. radio) One can have a custom ROM, recovery and unlocked bootloader staying S-ON, the phone is fine with that, so why should it be important to revert those things to stock?

Thanks. :)
    @an0ther: I'm not sure I understand what you said. You mean that even if you reset everything to stock (including s-on and the "tampered" banner) HTC will still be able to read another internal "tampered" flag? Or what else?
    @EddyOS: thanks, so you are basically saying I am correct, and reverting everything to stock is a precaution to make sure nothing (like the HBOOT) has been forgotten, right?

Yes. If you're certain it's stock then go ahead. Just remember you have been warned so on your head be it ;)
    In order to lock the boot loader does it require root? If so my son's phone is not rooted. This is what I don't understand. When running the command to kick the boot loader it says we need a # prompt or to enter su. I cannot do this because his phone is not rooted.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    @gustav30 @treIII

Guys, In order to lock bootloader, all you need is S-OFF.

to LOCK your bootloader,enter the following:
    USE CMD
    adb devices
    adb shell
    su (if needed to get a # prompt)
    echo -ne '\x00\x00\x00\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bs=1 seek=33796
    (i would very strongly recomend you copy/paste this)

exit
    (exit a second time if you need to to get back to a normal > prompt)

adb reboot bootloader

verify you are now locked
    ...it can possibly brick the phone

@EddyOS: I know, you must hate me, I keep asking you the same questions in different threads. :p

Why everything stock? Isn't it enough to revert those things protected by the security flag back to stock? (e.g. radio) One can have a custom ROM, recovery and unlocked bootloader staying S-ON, the phone is fine with that, so why should it be important to revert those things to stock?

Thanks. :)

Don't ask me why it's just a lot of people have managed to brick their phone cause they've had a custom HBOOT (to remove the red writing), forgot it and bricked the phone